• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

Small number is yes, as there are very few reports out there so far. Unless more people start posting pictures/accounts, it's not widespread.

I'm not sure how to tell if you have a defective unit. It seems like some docks have wiggle room and some don't. I haven't seen a good breakdown from those with tablets that have scratched to know.

well the console came out less than a week ago....

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
FYI, I just tested with a USB C male to female extension cable and it works fine. Will place the Switch in the Hori stand (when amazon figures out wtf is going with it), then connect it to the dock via the cable.\

edit: Amazon link to the cable if anyone is interested, It's quite short, which is my only issue with it.

edit 2: You have to be careful with the cable inside the dock. It is VERY easy to lift it off. May just use tape to keep it down.
Nice! This was the million dollar question for me, so at least we know it works in theory.

I checked the reviews for the cable and many stated it was USB 2.0 speeds and that it didn't support fast charging, which might not be an issue, I'd just be careful what cable is being used. Another user posted a link to tests done on USB C cables and one of the cables damaged the testing devices.

Benson Leung Amazon Reviews
This is the link. The brand you chose, CableCreation, is in the recommended list for USB-C accessories.

"This list is my list of recommendation​s for newer Type-C to Type-C cables. These cables will not connect to your legacy Type-A USB hosts or chargers, but will work between your newer Type-C chargers, external drive enclosures, and docking stations." -Benson
---
Thanks, man! I'm going to order one and test it. If it works I'll probably just use the Hori dock with a 3ft cable running to the hidden Switch dock.

ggx2ac

^He's posted the same crap three times now, insinuating some kind of user error when there's an extremely simple and reasonable assumption as to how that damage was caused. We've seen it already, and yet he felt the need to quote himself yet again. I wonder why.

Because I haven't gotten scratches on my Switch? I got white streaks on them from friction caused by either the dock or the cleaning cloth I mentioned but those were able to be cleaned off with wipes.

Does it really bother you so much that I am questioning the article because of the scratches that appeared on theirs from what they claim it was caused by?

I know that there are scratches occurring on the Switch screen to other people, but not the kind of scratches as seen by that article. That's why I said I am open to seeing other people posts theirs if they got the same kind because I would want to see what is causing the issue.

I'm not defending Nintendo just because I am questioning the article, I am questioning the article because I want the facts.

We can use the dock horizontally?
Well actually, I just assumed... hmm. The cables come out of the side, so you can easily sit the dock on its back.

I mean, it fits perfectly underneath the display area of my TV. But now that I think about it, I wonder if there are ventilation issues...

I'm gonna cut the damn front of this dock straight off. haha. Useless piece of plastic that only serves to scratch the screen.

No need to take the drastic route. If you really want to remove it, you can just remove it without destroying anything. But, the most likely reason for the scratching is if the front is bending inwards. If it's not doing that, there shouldn't be any risk of damaging your screen unless you are careless.

Red

My dock is also slightly warped and after only two inserts there are marks on the front panel. I've draped a microfiber cloth over the rails for now. It doesn't look good but it is preventing further damage.
On the upside, the scratches aren't on the actual display, only the bezel.

The dock should've had some type of rail system where it guides itself down into the necessary port from the start.

I shouldn't put it down there and then have to shift it back and forth until it falls into place.

No need to take the drastic route. If you really want to remove it, you can just remove it without destroying anything. But, the most likely reason for the scratching is if the front is bending inwards. If it's not doing that, there shouldn't be any risk of damaging your screen unless you are careless.

Haha. Yeah, I know. I was just kidding. My does bend a little. My brother's bends even more than mine. Oh well. Just gotta be careful.

First of all there are less than 10. More like 5. Also, even if we go down to hundreds of people, I'd say that 5 is a few. This is just semantics and pointless.

10 people out of 200 is a few? This isn't semantics. If the bent dock issue is an actual real thing, you think it's only GAF members experiencing it?

I'd say it's big enough to warrant Nintendo having a second look at the manufacturing stage at least.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Fuck it. Going without a screen protector. If the system scratches I'll just get over myself. I've been doing the screen protector thing on every Nintendo system since the DS (Including the Wii U and multiple revisions of DS, 3DS, and PSP) and frankly it's always nerve-wracking and never goes 100% right.

If for some reason my screen does really get banged up I'll buy a new Switch, sell the old one and slap on a screen protector immediately when it comes out of the box. As it is now most screen protectors are sold out on Amazon and wouldn't get to me in over a week anyway.

FYI, I just tested with a USB C male to female extension cable and it works fine. Will place the Switch in the Hori stand (when amazon figures out wtf is going with it), then connect it to the dock via the cable.\

edit: Amazon link to the cable if anyone is interested, It's quite short, which is my only issue with it.

edit 2: You have to be careful with the cable inside the dock. It is VERY easy to lift it off. May just use tape to keep it down.

Awesome. Thx for being a pioneer. Ordering this cable now.

Berordn

10 people out of 200 is a few? This isn't semantics. If the bent dock issue is an actual real thing, you think it's only GAF members experiencing it?

I'd say it's big enough to warrant Nintendo having a second look at the manufacturing stage at least.

And there seems to be varying degrees of this bend, so someone eyeballing it may look like they won't have issues and still develop some later.

Definitely seems to be a flaw here, and it's worth pointing out before heartbreak happens.

Slaythe

No but look how many defects come with Iphones.

They are "trustworthy". Yet we can find thousands of threads online or posts where people complain.

Defects happen.

People that don't have issues are less likely to come around than those that have issues.

Now the big problem (since it's not a defect on every device, which means it's not really a design issue), is that you can't transfer your saves. Which means if you fuck up your system because of their faulty device, you're kinda screwed. :/ Because if they change it back you lose your data.

Buying a screen protector kinda makes you safe, it's 10 bucks so while it's not ideal it's the least bothersome solution.

guek

Banned
I bought a screen protector on day 1 but just to be extra careful, I a screen sized rectangle from the white foam sleeve that the screen was shipped in and placed it snugly on the screen facing side of the dock using double sided take. It worked perfectly.

I had a scratch on mine. A fine scratch in the right light, like many are describing in here. Also a white smudge on the bottom of the screen too that would not wipe off with a cloth. This was after docking / undocking only a few times VERY carefully because of this thread.

Then, for a bit, I was depressed because it was day one.

But I went back and breathed on it and wiped it with a cloth again and it came off.

So, that's something people should consider.

It wasn't a scratch, it just REALLY looked like one. And it came off only after getting a little moisture on there. Don't know how it got there either. The little rubber pad could explain the white smudge, I guess?

That was never the point anyway. Hence it's only semantics and pointless to argue about few or many. Of course Nintendo need to look over their manufacturing process. Something like this shouldn't happen.

ggx2ac

I had a scratch on mine. A fine scratch in the right light, like many are describing in here. Also a white smudge on the bottom of the screen too that would not wipe off with a cloth. This was after docking / undocking only a few times VERY carefully because of this thread.

Then, for a bit, I was depressed because it was day one.

But I went back and breathed on it and wiped it with a cloth again and it came off.

So, that's something people should consider.

It wasn't a scratch, it just REALLY looked like one. And it came off only after getting a little moisture on there. Don't know how it got there either. The little rubber pad could explain the white smudge, I guess?

Yes, the smudges are caused by the rubber pads.

And just like you I had the same issue, but when I got proper wipes since water alone wasn't working, it cleaned those white streaks off that looked like scratches.

That's why I think we really need to identify for people what are removable marks and what scratches are permanent damage like the one in the OP.

Jeffrey

Anyone try sawing off the front part of the dock? I'm looking at ifixit xray images and I don't see any electronics there.

Should fix all screen scratching issues imo.

TheFuzz

Yes, the smudges are caused by the rubber pads.

And just like you I had the same issue, but when I got proper wipes since water alone wasn't working, it cleaned those white streaks off that looked like scratches.

That's why I think we really need to identify for people what are removable marks and what scratches are permanent damage like the one in the OP.

I'm willing to bet that this is the case for most people.....

Futureman

Anyone try sawing off the front part of the dock? I'm looking at ifixit xray images and I don't see any electronics there.

Should fix all screen scratching issues imo.

yea... seems like something like the Wii U dock would have been better.

maybe they had too many complaints of the gamepad getting knocked off the dock?

Poppyseed

FYI, I just tested with a USB C male to female extension cable and it works fine. Will place the Switch in the Hori stand (when amazon figures out wtf is going with it), then connect it to the dock via the cable.

PSA DO NOT BUY THIS CABLE. It will not supply enough power to the Switch, based on reading the reviews there.

Gregtis

Figured I would add a data point here. This is from carefully docking and undocking the system a few times. I can't be 100% sure something else didn't cause it, because I didn't notice it until later. It is only visible in direct bright light, but it definitely has me worried.

uB6EFWZ.jpg

Was going to put some soft velcro on my dock, but apparently that could cause more problems according to this thread.

Just going to go with a screen protector I guess.

Xdrive05

Figured I would add a data point here. This is from carefully docking and undocking the system a few times. I can't be 100% sure something else didn't cause it, because I didn't notice it until later. It is only visible in direct bright light, but it definitely has me worried.

Was going to put some soft velcro on my dock, but apparently that could cause more problems according to this thread.

Yikes!

Glad I settled on electrical tape + screen protector. I really wish they used a strong glass screen. :-(

Does anyone know how easily the Switch screen itself can be replaced? It has those "tabs" at the bottom. Is that to pop the screen out and remove? I bet there will be a lot of folks wanting to replace the whole screen themselves.

ggx2ac

Before you put a screen protector on it, see if you can clean it off.

Me and another guy just mentioned earlier that we had those same white streaks that can only be seen from reflected light and, we removed those white streaks by cleaning it off.

I used Windex Electronics Wipes since water wasn't enough. Use what you can to clean it off, it shouldn't be a scratch that is permanent damage. It should be a mark that is removable.

Alebrije

No matter how big or small is his issue really hope Nintendo fixes this because a bend cradle is not acceptable since is just a piece of plastic, feel sorry for the "beta testers"

Could it be caused by bad package? Maybe the pressure on pallets cause that the cradle /base bends while on travel. the box looks very small and not strong.

U2vdQ0cumbbuTXTc9ttqUgYaIUvpTCYu5Dk1-8LFhPEfYHwId8aiJQoyHEvwOijq_gyjG-gcQI8wuFFwYp4qnX_Pj0VkQiY17L0udeM1FgJG45Bx-1tWEFYW8OfsSBJAxZa7CRZoEFB9NXocOskJfjnxL9ABSj16q5Z2uv2QxGVGqVd_h5Pt-S_V=w421-h349-nc

dallow_bg

nods at old men
of course there is, there are cables and cables. we don't know if this cable is good enough to handle all the power. some usb C cables are Shitty, and others are good. there is a google engineer who has tested multiple ones and noticed significant variation among brands.

Oh ok. I see what you mean.
I just meant in general the idea of a USB-C extension would be fine. I was assuming of course it was a quality and tested cable.

I'm surprised that nobody has done this. Why put cloth and cushion on when you can just cut the damn thing off.

Oh they have.

Crap I just looked at my dock because of this thread and it looks a bit bent.

Is it supposed to be a complete 90degree angle?

Jesus you should exchange your Switch for a new one and tell them about the dock

finalflame

So even with a felt liner inside the dock, there's still the risk that a piece of dust or other particle will make its way into the felt and eventually create a scratch, right? Basically, get a screen protector or bust?

That's some shit.

No matter how big or small is his issue really hope Nintendo fixes this because a bend cradle is not acceptable since is just a piece of plastic, feel sorry for the "beta testers"

Could it be caused by bad package? Maybe the pressure on pallets cause that the cradle /base bends while on travel. the box looks very small and not strong.

U2vdQ0cumbbuTXTc9ttqUgYaIUvpTCYu5Dk1-8LFhPEfYHwId8aiJQoyHEvwOijq_gyjG-gcQI8wuFFwYp4qnX_Pj0VkQiY17L0udeM1FgJG45Bx-1tWEFYW8OfsSBJAxZa7CRZoEFB9NXocOskJfjnxL9ABSj16q5Z2uv2QxGVGqVd_h5Pt-S_V=w421-h349-nc

I doubt that. I think the way its boxed on the inside seems like it protects the dock, and everything else, from being crushed at all. The pressure is all on the cardboard box

Also want to know this.

Oh, and this is what I'm doing to stretch the dock open because it wasn't straight:

Good idea
pls report back if it works!

bumpkin

I took a good look at my dock this morning and yeah, mine has a slight warp towards the top too. I wonder if the replacements Nintendo sell would possibly be un-warped, and if it makes any sense to even try contacting their support about getting one free of charge.

Alternatively, I wonder what a good method would be to try and un-warp the one I have. Has anyone had any luck doing such a thing?

Seik

Banned

Holy molly, that is a nasty one. Sorry for you mate. :(

sirap

So even with a felt liner inside the dock, there's still the risk that a piece of dust or other particle will make its way into the felt and eventually create a scratch, right? Basically, get a screen protector or bust?

That's some shit.

Yep. That happened to me with my Ipad Pro. A small grain of sand or something got stuck on the tip of my Apple Pencil and scratched the shit out of my Ipad. Fortunately I already had an glass protector covering the screen.

I know some people are fine with their devices going commando, but I just can't do it man.

Also want to know this.

Oh, and this is what I'm doing to stretch the dock open because it wasn't straight:

Great idea. Let us know if this works out. My dock looks like it's almost straight, but is slightly bent in. No issues with scratching or tight fit, but I'd like to guarantee I don't scratch the screen in the future so bending it out wouldn't be a bad idea.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

That's some shit.

I'm just putting in a couple of those clear little gel sticker things used for furniture.

I took a good look at my dock this morning and yeah, mine has a slight warp towards the top too. I wonder if the replacements Nintendo sell would possibly be un-warped, and if it makes any sense to even try contacting their support about getting one free of charge.

Alternatively, I wonder what a good method would be to try and un-warp the one I have. Has anyone had any luck doing such a thing?

put a book inside the dock, or SNES cartridge

Xdrive05

Electrical tape seems safer as it doesn't have any fibers that can hold small grains in place to scratch the screen. I would definitely use a screen protector, however you dress up the dock itself. This is just a inevitability unless you go through the motions to prevent trouble.

Jesus you should exchange your Switch for a new one and tell them about the dock

Holy molly, that is a nasty one. Sorry for you mate. :(

If it's what I thought was a scratch (and it looks a hell of a lot like what I had), you can wipe it off. Takes more than just a standard wipe attempt, but it comes off. Don't know where it comes from, but it's not a scratch if it wipes off.

I'm beginning to wonder how many people actually have scratches like OP or have whatever this photo is showing.

Top Bottom