• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sliding the Switch in and out of the dock will inevitably scratch the screen

ZOONAMI

Lol at the people without bent docks handwaiving the problem. Mine don't scratch what are you all talking about? Yo if your dock ain't bent you aren't going to have problems.

I was not getting any issues with my dock or switch but my glass protector turned up today so I applied it anyway, letting it set right now but I do love the now-glass feeling screen, it's a lot more like rubbing my finger over my phone then a 3DS screen.

Question however, I buffed out everything but there are a few really tiny, pin hole size bubbles along the top, they are not on the screen but slightly visible in sunlight, will those fade away as the screen sets? the guide says its possible.

Those scratches look like the Switch was put into a Jean pocket with a metal button or with keys. I'm sceptical for two reasons.

1. There is a noticeable gap between the screen and dock.
  2. Plastic isn't hard enough to create deep gouges in glass like this on it's own. It could create scuffs, but not deep vertical gouges.

After seeing this thread and owning a switch a few days. Every time I dock it I am extra careful. After undocking all i notice are two small smudges that comes off after cleaning with a cloth. These deep gouges seem like it was forcibly and carelessly docked. I know for the younger target audience the switch is reaching this should happen at all but still i don't see how you get those deep gouges unless you just are abusing it.

psychotron

My dock is bent. If you look from the side you can very clearly see it. For now I've draped a microfiber cloth over the inside edge and taped it to the outside. I'm going to try and expand it tonight using nickels and a hair dryer, as previously mentioned.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Lol at the people without bent docks handwaiving the problem. Mine don't scratch what are you all talking about? Yo if your dock ain't bent you aren't going to have problems.

It gets old for sure. I have amazing PSN speeds, but I don't deny that people get slow ass downloads on the service. It is such a ridiculous stance to take.

No scratches on my unit... On the screen..... The back of the device is another story :-(

http://imgur.com/s7zxxDM

Shit I have been carefully sliding my Switch into the dock pushing up against the back to avoid scratching the screen so I didn't think about the rear. Hope i don't have any scatches. Will check tonight, although I can live with them there. I absolutely cannot stand scratches on my screens.

Shaii

Shit I have been carefully sliding my Switch into the dock pushing up against the back to avoid scratching the screen so I didn't think about the rear. Hope i don't have any scatches. Will check tonight, although I can live with them there. I absolutely cannot stand scratches on my screens.

I honestly don't get it, I'm docking the console carefully, and it still happens. I may, on a subconscious level, have been tracing a little bit on the back of the console, to avoid any scratches to the screen, but god damn....

I also just went ahead and measured the dock for any inconsistencies. It seems that my dock is bending roughly 1 mm (~0.04 inches) inwards.

Has anyone had any success unbending a bent dock?

I left a book in my Dock for roughly 3 days and it's now as smooth as butter. I also added microfiber cloth with double sided tape to the front rails and I've got a Gorilla Glass Screen Protector, so there's a bit added to the dimensions but it glides in super smooth.

Highly recommend doing this stretching if yours is bent. When looking at it from the side now, it's only slightly bent, but I almost can't notice.

If you decide to use this method, I suggest pushing the book down as far as possible; the first time I tried bending it I did not go down as far as I could in fear or breaking it but that didn't do much, when I went down further that sealed the deal and I was good to go.

Mega

Banned
I don't drop my electronics so I'd definitely prefer that. Just like with cell phones and tablets.

No one plans to drop their electronics. It just happens. Fact is plastic may feel inferior or less premium, but at worst it leads to a scratched or scuffed screen. A glass screen means we would have a bunch of Youtube videos and tweets like "Three foot Switch drop, Screen Shattered!" Lots of media of ruined Switches vs. minor scratches.

I did get the amFilm screen protectors because they seemed pretty cool. I was lucky to apply it perfectly the first time. I was by a window (lots of sunlight) where I could see dust more easily, kept wiping the screen every time dust landed on it and finally applied it before another piece landed on the screen. I massaged out any air bubbles, although a couple were very stubborn but they still got out. Flawless application.

branny

My glass protector is still doing fine. I think that one early photo of an amFilm protector "melting" was from something caught beneath it during the application process. I haven't been following this thread, so that might've already been discussed. I just know that I don't have any bubbles or lifting or anything with mine--it's been perfect as far as that's concerned. Then again, I've had very little time to actually play BotW, so who knows.

Unfortunately, dust particles are naturally starting to collect in the groove between the bezel and the protector itself. I'm also not a fan of the edges of the glass catching light and drawing my attention to the protector. Historically I've never liked using screen protection because of distracting little things like these, so it's not the amFilm or anything. It's my OCD.

Never gonna find peace of mind with this thing, lol.

j-wood

Just got my amfilm on. About the best application I could do, maybe a spec of dust on the bezel but I think that's it.

Do I need to wait any time before putting this in the dock? Or was that just from the few bad batches amfilm had?

Doesnt look like this was posted yet. This dude really went to town repeatedly shoving the console in and out of the dock. Not even the slightest mark on the thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb7qWC5bGpY

I didn't post anything because I didn't want to diminish those who very clearly ended up with a scratched screen somehow, but I feel like if this was a widespread problem we would be seeing way more pictures and outrage.

I've been using my dock like a sassy child making toast and not so much as a smudge, front or back. My dock is also bent in per the penny test and I didn't bother attempting to stretch it or using a cover. I don't want to come in and tell anyone they're wrong though, but agree the inevitable thing might be reaching. At the very least is premature.

I do hope if there is some flaw the specific problem is determined so it can be avoided or repaired. Hasn't been my experience now a few weeks in simply using it as designed.

I was not getting any issues with my dock or switch but my glass protector turned up today so I applied it anyway, letting it set right now but I do love the now-glass feeling screen, it's a lot more like rubbing my finger over my phone then a 3DS screen.

Question however, I buffed out everything but there are a few really tiny, pin hole size bubbles along the top, they are not on the screen but slightly visible in sunlight, will those fade away as the screen sets? the guide says its possible.

Quoting myself to say that the crop of pin size air bubbles have faded away now, the orzly glass protector is great and having the screen feel like glass now is a HUGE improvement over the plastic screen.

Just got my amfilm on. About the best application I could do, maybe a spec of dust on the bezel but I think that's it.

Do I need to wait any time before putting this in the dock? Or was that just from the few bad batches amfilm had?

I would personally give it a few hours to settle in, heat might shift the screen or cause some bubbling to the glue.

I put a screen protector on my switch that I grabbed on launch day. The system hasn't been used without one and I don't even see scuffs when I undock it. I might be a lucky one, but I just bought the standard one that Nintendo sells...If that helps anybody. I read that those sleeves on Etsy are pretty good too. I have to imagine that the next iteration of the dock won't have the panel on the front.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I put a screen protector on my switch that I grabbed on launch day. The system hasn't been used without one and I don't even see scuffs when I undock it. I might be a lucky one, but I just bought the standard one that Nintendo sells...If that helps anybody. I read that those sleeves on Etsy are pretty good too. I have to imagine that the next iteration of the dock won't have the panel on the front.

I don't know why there was a front panel to begin with, it's just bad design. More airflow would be a good thing if the Switch is upclocking and generating more heat while docked.

All I know is I'm not touching the thing until my Orzly screen protector arrives (a month from now)

I don't know why there was a front panel to begin with, it's just bad design. More airflow would be a good thing if the Switch is upclocking and generating more heat while docked.

Covering the screen makes it clear the screen is inoperable while docked. If it were exposed they would have to deal with people who don't follow this stuff closely thinking their game box is busted and returning it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Covering the screen makes it clear the screen is inoperable while docked. If it were exposed they would have to deal with people who don't follow this stuff closely thinking their game box is busted and returning it.

Could have just had the option to turn on/off Table Top Mode while docked like that. Being able to charge while in Table Top Mode, how novel.

Dremorak

Banned
"bent" docks have nothing to with it. My dock also has an incline similar to images I've seen online. Still no scratches. still using it every day, not being careful with putting it in or out, no scratches.

Edit: I'm not saying this hasn't happened to a few people, but the thread title saying it will happen to everyone, or if you straighten the dock will fix it annoys the hell out of me.

Alebrije

Went to store today and had the chance to touch some docks , they looked bend but the real problem is that the plastic is so bland that you can bend even more the dock.

Nintendo needs to offer a new kind of dock, won't get a Switch no matter if it takes years to Nintendo to fix the dock.

Lebneney

Banned
Nintendo needs to offer a new kind of dock, won't get a Switch no matter if it takes years to Nintendo to fix the dock.

I'd be more than willing to purchase a brushed metal dock with more ventilation.

Hey so I just applied the amFilm Tempered Glass protector and I was wondering, after I apply it, can I start using my device? I heard that you have to wait a day before use, but I can't find anything about that.

Dremorak

Banned
Went to store today and had the chance to touch some docks , they looked bend but the real problem is that the plastic is so bland that you can bend even more the dock.

Just wait 6 months for people to realize this isnt a thing and has been blown way out of proportion.

Could have just had the option to turn on/off Table Top Mode while docked like that. Being able to charge while in Table Top Mode, how novel.

Then you'd have people complaining it is a two step process, and now their marketing has to deal with how you message that as opposed to the dead simple, drop it in, now its on the television. They went with the setup that is easiest to demonstrate and message, which considering how the Wii U went you can see why that is a priority.

Just wait 6 months for people to realize this isnt a thing and has been blown way out of proportion.

A bent dock is an issue even if it's not consistently scratching the screen. I don't understand what you're getting at anyways with your last few posts are you saying that people are cause these scratches themselves?

Dremorak

Banned
A bent dock is an issue even if it's not consistently scratching the screen. I don't understand what you're getting at anyways with your last few posts are you saying that people are cause these scratches themselves?

I'm saying we haven't seen any conclusive evidence that the dock is what caused the scratches in the few images that are out there. I'm sure there may be one or two with some kind of defect that caused a scratched screen, but all these people trying to put books in their docks, putting covers on their docks, and even screen protectors specifically to avoid having their screen scratched are blowing things way out of proportion. Sliding the switch in and out of the dock will not inevitably scratch the screen. We have seen quite a few videos of people shoving their switch in and out of the dock forcefully, people (like myself) going between handheld and tv mode multiple times a day since launch and still no scratches (and I've said it before, I'm not a careful person by any stretch).

I'm saying we haven't seen any conclusive evidence that the dock is what caused the scratches in the few images that are out there. I'm sure there may be one or two with some kind of defect that caused a scratched screen, but all these people trying to put books in their docks, putting covers on their docks, and even screen protectors specifically to avoid having their screen scratched are blowing things way out of proportion. Sliding the switch in and out of the dock will not inevitably scratch the screen. We have seen quite a few videos of people shoving their switch in and out of the dock forcefully, people (like myself) going between handheld and tv mode multiple times a day since launch and still no scratches (and I've said it before, I'm not a careful person by any stretch).

But there's evidence of the opposite as well so why would I throw out the chance that there's an issue with some docks? Or some Switches? Because it isn't happening to me? There's a lot of stuff I don't experience, but I'm not coming around here acting like they don't exist. If the dock is bent, it's defective, pretty sure Nintendo didn't mean to ship bent docks.

Jzero

You can stick a penis in a vagina and not get the girl pregnant but guess what? It can still happen.
People that assume something doesn't exist because it hasn't happened to them blow my fucking mind with their logic.

brad-t

You can stick a penis in a vagina and not get the girl pregnant but guess what? It can still happen.

So would you say that sexual intercourse inevitably leads to pregnancy?

The issue is not that the thread says that the Switch can be scratched by the dock but that it frames the outcome as inevitable.

EDIT: THIS IS A BAD POST THAT DIDN'T QUITE COME OUT HOW I MEANT IT

People that assume something doesn't exist because it hasn't happened to them blow my fucking mind with their logic.

Old friend in the scouts said that was an old wives tale from across the sea.

Seik

Banned

This is a surprisingly correct analogy. :lol

Higgy

Since I put on the amfilm I just slap that sucker in and out with no worries. I used a PS4 and Switch case with a few junk mail envelopes to straighten the bent dock. Just left it overnight. Don't even think about the problem anymore.

Dremorak

Banned

I'm not saying it doesnt happen, I'm just saying its crazy that I've talked to friends of mine who dont normally follow gaming much, and what they heard about the switch is that its poorly made and the dock scratches the screens. Which is insane to me, as its not like every single dock is causing this, or even enough for there to be any cause for concern. I guess we will just see how it shakes out in the next 6 months to a year with people like me not using a screen protector or anything.

CLEEK

I wanted a tempered glass screen protector, but no where sold them in Australia,

Ended up buying on eBay a no-name Chinese protector, which arrived yesterday. Easy to apply with the tape/hinge/steamy room method and went on without any bubbles or dust. Looks good Glass is very thin, under 1mm thickness.

My dock is definitely fucked, as it is now a tight squeeze to fit the Switch in. Got the tape measure out, and there is 20mm gap at the base of the unit, and only 18mm at the top, so the front part of the dock is warped inwards.

I'm going to call Nintendo support to see what they say. I'm really holding out until third party cradles are available, as the entire design behind a dock is stupid.

Has anyone successfully 'unbent' their docks? I just got my switch today and the dock is def bent. The penny test is a big failure. I stuffed two game cases in there and that seems to be putting pressure on it outwards, but im not totally convinced its going to make any difference.

I'm not saying it doesnt happen, I'm just saying its crazy that I've talked to friends of mine who dont normally follow gaming much, and what they heard about the switch is that its poorly made and the dock scratches the screens. Which is insane to me, as its not like every single dock is causing this, or even enough for there to be any cause for concern. I guess we will just see how it shakes out in the next 6 months to a year with people like me not using a screen protector or anything.
But what you have is a sheet of scratch proof plastic, not an indestructible transparent material.

Saying you'll wait 6 months before calling people out is asking for it.

Sorry for not following the thread and coming in at random with this question:

So the only way the dock is scratching the screen is if it is bent?

Also, how does one tell if the dock is bent? If I'm buying a Switch from my local shop, and they are cool enough to let me open and inspect it first, what am I looking for?

Dremorak

Banned
Sorry for not following the thread and coming in at random with this question:

So the only way the dock is scratching the screen is if it is bent?

Also, how does one tell if the dock is bent? If I'm buying a Switch from my local shop, and they are cool enough to let me open and inspect it first, what am I looking for?

It depends who you believe, but I dont think the dock is an issue at all. If you look at the dock from the side and the front side inclines inwards, its "bent" (Although keep in mind mine is bent and no issue so far)

j-wood

I had a perfect fit on my dock. Switch slid in without any issue.

But because of this thread I ordered the amfilm protector and applied it perfectly. But now my switch is noticibly tighter going into the dock 😕

Karish

This. Nintendo support confirmed to me both this and joycon problem being *pervasive*

Top Bottom