• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. for Wii U errors! [Update: General WiiU system failure error?]

L~A

Do we even know if the bug has been encountered on a Wii U with the latest firmware update installed?

It's nice to know Nintendo isn't above releasing a game with broken online this gen. Now Sony and Microsoft don't feel so left out.

I would recommend that anyone that does keep playing the game to let the game sit for a while(20 seconds or so) on a menu screen before exiting the game or turning the console off. Just in case that this issue is caused by interrupting an auto-save this might have you covered.

As for myself I have not encountered this error code and my data management is usable. I have played for glory a bit and have quit out of a game on the preparation screen twice. Both times an error code was shown when trying to access for glory again(not the DC wait message) but I don't think it's related to this particular problem.

I would recommend that anyone that does keep playing the game to let the game sit for a while(20 seconds or so) on a menu screen before exiting the game or turning the console off. Just in case that this issue is caused by interrupting an auto-save this might have you covered.

This is always good advice. Some games fail to inform the player when they autosave, so I always do this.

Seems like the "bricking" part happens if you do a format once the data on the drive is already corrupted. Strange.

I have an external HDD so it seems I don't have to be worried about this, if worst comes to worst I can just copy everything else off the drive and then format the drive using a PC.

Piccoro

Do we even know if the bug has been encountered on a Wii U with the latest firmware update installed?

Yes, I want to know this too, but no one mentioned if the error happened before or after the MK YouTube update.

The red X I saw on the Download Management worries me...

...... Back to the 3DS version till i know what's happening with this then.

And that one has the high possibility of breaking your circle pad. I know because it really happened to me, after thinking it only happened to people that use too much force on smash attacks.

The probabilty to brake your circle pad to the one of bricking your wiiU seems to be much higher.

ugoo18

And that one has the high possibility of breaking your circle pad. I know because it really happened to me, after thinking it only happened to people that use too much force on smash attacks.

The probabilty to brake your circle pad to the one of bricking your wiiU seems to be much higher.

Oh i know, the thumbpad grip thing came off my circle pad during a For Glory match on my OG launch 3DS, same thing happened with my sister's OG 3DS as well. I recently got the New 3DSXL and haven't had that happen so far.

Judging by the Smashboards thread, it's both.

User in the video linked on Nintendolife uses the disc version.

Guess i'll be putting my disc version on ice for sure then till we get more info on this.

EDIT: The one SSBU related issue i've had since getting the game was once when leaving the trophy shop, there was an extended black screen (Noticeably longer than usual) before finally showing the trophy selection area menu.

I always want to know how widespread this sort of thing is. It's really easy for threads like this to spread unwarranted panic. If it's happened to 50 out of 500,000 players then I'm really not going to be too worried about it.

The error code is known for years now and pops up for several users in different games, so I wouldn't think it's related to SSB.

https://www.google.de/search?q=wii+...s=cdr:1,cd_min:1.12.2012,cd_max:1.6.2014&tbm=

On another (Dutch) message board, I hypothised that this "For Glory error" (give the baby a name) was no more than a coincidence of a bad shipment of Wii U's bricking (like the RRoD/BLoD). Then - I hear you ask - why does this pop up now? Simply because now everyone is playing Smash Bros. like mad. More consoles being on for longer times equals a higher chance of factory defects popping up. Your search query strengthens the hypothesis (but does not confirm it).

im in the camp that its not smash bros causing the issue cause if it was it would be way more widespread problem if it was smash something else is going on.

Oh i know, the thumbpad grip thing came off my circle pad during a For Glory match on my OG launch 3DS, same thing happened with my sister's OG 3DS as well. I recently got the New 3DSXL and haven't had that happen so far.

Oh fuck! Sorry for your loses.
I really think that game never had to be released for the 3DS. The one that had such fate for me was my 3DSXL.

Madao

i have SSB4 in the external SSD. if it dies, it only takes with it whatever is in th SSD (hopefully)

also, does this happen with the disc version?

Lebon14

The error code is known for years now and pops up for several users in different games, so I wouldn't think it's related to SSB.

https://www.google.de/search?q=wii+...s=cdr:1,cd_min:1.12.2012,cd_max:1.6.2014&tbm=

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Chances are, if you receive that error, that your console had a defect from the beginning. I for one believe that it's not related to the game if it can erase save data and/or brick the console. There's something much more serious than that involved.

On the linked site someone said they found search results of that error code related to Mario Kart and 3D World.

I still have to re-read the OP to make sure the error signature is the same, but I DID get a fatal Wii U memory error a couple of months ago when playing Mario Kart. Had to send it in for repairs, at the end of the day they couldn't even repair it and the Wii U I got back had a completely different serial number and the console they sent was scratched to hell and back.

Ding ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Chances are, if you receive that error, that your console had a defect from the beginning. I for one believe that it's not related to the game if it can erase save data and/or brick the console. There's something much more serious than that involved.

Yeah, doesn't seem related to smash at all.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I had the red X thingy on Download Management, but I switced to wired connection and forced system update a couple of times and it seems to have done the trick

I have had no other problems though, Smash works fine, everything works fine, also online

We can't say for sure this is related to the Smash update data, and we know people have been experiencing this issue every now and then with other games for a while. However, considering only a fraction of Smash players actually post in the Smashboards and the fact that about seven people from the Smashboards experienced it yesterday or two days ago, I'll let Smash alone for a day or two at least.

I'm scared!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...r_wii_u_facing_potential_error_code_nightmare
http://smashboards.com/threads/error-code-160-0103.380245/

I bought the game yesterday, and the only odd thing I noticed was a red X above the Download Management icon. First time seeing that. This was after I downloaded the update patch. Did you guys noticed anything strange?

For what it's worth, I don't own Smash yet, but I also had the red X on my download management icon. I didn't want to fiddle around with it too much last night, but seems it tried to download a System Update, but couldn't. I assumed it was cos of load on the update server (as that happened when I first bought my Wii U).

Will try again later.

Piccoro

For what it's worth, I don't own Smash yet, but I also had the red X on my download management icon. I didn't want to fiddle around with it too much last night, but seems it tried to download a System Update, but couldn't. I assumed it was cos of load on the update server (as that happened when I first bought my Wii U).

Will try again later.

Yes, I think you're right. There was some eShop maintenance last night, and I think the console was trying to download the update and it failed.
I always leave the Wii U on standby, so the update should be downloaded and installed when I arrive home.

Hiko

Banned
Definitely not touching the game until this is resolved. I don't know why publishers have become so lax in regards to quality control

Piccoro

So is there a way to back up saves for the wii U in case this happens to me?

You can backup all your data in an external HDD. But that data will only work in YOUR console! You cannot copy it to another Wii U.
And if you/Nintendo formats your console, the backed up data won't work again.

Lernaean

Banned
So, do the rest of us that have played for glory and turned off the console after a few times, have superior consoles or superior update data?

DaddyO

Neo Member
This exact situation happened to me late on the first day that we owned it. Note: "delete all files" does not work because update data will not delete (manually or as part of the system delete).

I had to box up my console and send it off (last Tuesday), so I am hoping to get it back before Christmas.

Really a bummer. The 2nd-level support guy I talked to on the phone said that they had been hearing about the problem all day(!). Fortunately, they did not charge me for the repair even though it is 14 months old (although they wanted to at first).

Edit: can't say if my son played "For Glory" mode or not ever, I did not. I was playing on a tube when it happened though after playing most of the day earlier on a flat screen/HDMI.

Top Bottom