• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. for Wii U errors! [Update: General WiiU system failure error?]

hmm, I'm starting to suspect this has to do with the USB thumbdrives - which I don't use. I remember Nintendo recommending to not use certain types. I'd like to know if there's someone who experienced the problem and has everything on WiiU's hard disk.

Nintendo says you shoudn't use thumb drives on the Wii U in general, not only certain types.

ScOULaris

Not gonna lie, I can't help but feel a little nervous playing Smash now until some kind of official patch or comment from Nintendo is released. I'm sure the odds of it happening to me are reasonably low, but this kind of glitch is certainly worrisome.

phanphare

Banned
Not gonna lie, I can't help but feel a little nervous playing Smash now until some kind of official patch or comment from Nintendo is released. I'm sure the odds of it happening to me are reasonably low, but this kind of glitch is certainly worrisome.

reading through this thread it seems smash has nothing to do with it

so play away

Hope they get this taken care of. Glad I got a new Wii U and replaced my launch console so I have a full warranty. Need some more details on how wide spread this is.

Richie

It happens the same to me but with Batman Origins =/

Well shit, I had that game wrapped up and today I'm letting my lil bro play it, gonna look if there's any measures that can be taken here.

As for Smash, I don't play online at all. Does that mean I'm safe? (Even if Hyrule Warriors has been consuming my time as of late...)

Timeaisis

Reading through this thread, this sounds like a Wii U problem, not a Smash one. It probably seemns Smash related because everyone is playing Smash.

IKizzLE

Got this same error code a few days ago. Didn't know what the problem was.
Couldn't launch smash or bayo 2. Ended up formatting my external hdd and lost all my game saves(including my 100% complete, all bewitchment complete bayo 2 save)

Still doesn't work. Nintendo hardware.....smh. Redownloaded smash on the internal hdd and will be the last game I buy on this system. Completely over it.

walnuts

I think I should play Bayonetta tonight, just in case until they fix this.

I abandoned her because of the European release of SMT IV, and now Smash Bros. I still have to finish the first game in normal mode.

This is really scary, I use a 16GB USB drive with my Wii U. I guess when I get home I'll uninstall Smash (it's the only thing on it) and unplug it until someone finds out what's gone wrong.

IKizzLE

Yup, my external hdd is completely fucked. Can't use it for anything. And I was going all digital. Was working fine for a whole month and then bam, just completely fucked.

Kyou

This is really scary, I use a 16GB USB drive with my Wii U. I guess when I get home I'll uninstall Smash (it's the only thing on it) and unplug it until someone finds out what's gone wrong.

You shouldn't be using USB sticks for that anyway

Pyrokai

Wait....so what triggers this? Is it just accessing your Settings>Data Management from the Wii U Menu?

I should be okay as long as I don't go into Data Management, right?

I need to know because I do not have internet to receive a patch when they release it........

Escalario

Banned
Wait....so what triggers this? Is it just accessing your Settings>Data Management from the Wii U Menu?

I should be okay as long as I don't go into Data Management, right?

I need to know because I do not have internet to receive a patch when they release it........

No one knows what triggers it exactly. There are also other games (like Scribblenauts or Batman: Arkham Origins) that causes the same error(s).

Pyrokai

No one knows what triggers it exactly. There are also other games (like Scribblenauts or Batman: Arkham Origins) that causes the same error(s).

Okay....it's this part that confuses me from the OP:

"The error is only apparent with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and all other parts of the system will function until Smash or the Data Management page on the Wii U HOME Menu is accessed."

This, to me, implies that accessing Smash bros. from the Home menu will result in the error. In other words......starting the game. No?

Escalario

Banned
Okay....it's this part that confuses me from the OP:

"The error is only apparent with Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, and all other parts of the system will function until Smash or the Data Management page on the Wii U HOME Menu is accessed."

This, to me, implies that accessing Smash bros. from the Home menu will result in the error. In other words......starting the game. No?

The OP is VERY outdated. Just read more of the thread and things become clear that it's not Smash fault or accessing the Data Management. It seems to be related to firmware and/or Internet connection.

Jakoo

I was having connecting to other people on For Glory mode, due to some error. I have since restarted my console and it works fine....should I be avoiding For Glory mode and Data Management to be on the safe-side? I am unclear on what exactly is triggering this issue.

Timeaisis

The title needs to be updated, this isn't Smash. This seems like a factory issue with some WiiU's.

Correct. Other games have reported it. It's just the amount of people playing Smash now, there are a lot more errors cropping up

I was having connecting to other people on For Glory mode, due to some error. I have since restarted my console and it works fine....should I be avoiding For Glory mode and Data Management to be on the safe-side? I am unclear on what exactly is triggering this issue.

I believe that For Glory error is completely unrelated.

Zing

Banned
I just came home with a Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle and Smash, and luckily found this thread.

So is the game safe to play on a new system, as in did they pull the update that caused it, or do I have to avoid updating/playing for glory?

Is there a safe way to play Smash at the moment?

Can I update my Wii U on my first startup, or should I avoid connecting it to the internet?
This is sad. See what the hyperbolic, knee jerk media reports have done?

The game is safe to play on any system. Sign out of GAF, have some tea, and enjoy the games.

Piccoro

A mod can change the title if he wants. But don't you guys think it's strange that 99% of the people had this error after playing Smash?
Only two people reported that it happened with Batman Origins...

Vena

A mod can change the title if he wants. But don't you guys think it's strange that 99% of the people had this error after playing Smash?
Only two people reported that it happened with Batman Origins...

Have you heard of a thing called sample size? Like two people bought Batman Origins... that's 100% of the population got this error!

Anbec7

So the problem is going back to data management and erasing everything?
No official news regarding this?
Did someone already reached out to Nintendo?

This is odd, I have been playing just fine.
I'm sure a quick update will fix this.

Weng

So how many people really had this error? And when? Because the video from the nintendolife article in the OP is from the 29th and between then and today I believe a LOT of people played smash in "for glory" without getting the error or even bricking their system.

Let's move from the tea talk to the technical talk. Someone on Smashboards got this error while playing Hyrule Warriors. I think it is safe to say that it is a firmware issue and not a game issue. The big amount of errors with Smash is probably just because everyone is playing Smash right now.

Therefore, I want to ask everyone:
  • What firmware are you on? (Include region)
  • What games did you play recently? (Preferably include disc/download)
  • Did you get the 160-0103 error?

Also, if someone has a Smashboards account, please post it there. The sooner we narrow the options, the sooner we can go back to carelessly enjoying our games.

So how many people really had this error? And when? Because the video from the nintendolife article in the OP is from the 29th and between then and today I believe a LOT of people played smash in "for glory" without getting the error or even bricking their system.

There are some reports of people knowing people and a few first-hand stories, even a few from today. If I need to guess, I'd say the amount of infected people (does not equal a bricked console per se) is about 100-1000. Although the odds are most certainly very low (almost negligible), it is still a large risk, as all your saves are at stake.

Raitaro

Well, you can easily backup the PS3 saves to the cloud, so no problems there.

Not if your ps3 has lost its ability to go online you can't, or in my case can't download them again ;-) .

Not to digress further but I can only hope that my ps3 is fixed before my ps+ subscription runs out and before I have to resubscribe just so I can safe keep my Dark Souls save files. I'm essentially paying Sony for cloud storage because From doesn't allow me to copy those save files to a USB stick. And again, a full backup doesn't work either for those saves, and if it did, it would become useless if the repairs to your machine include changing the motherboard. I admit my situation might be uncommon, but I'm still finding it all unnecessarily complicated and frustrating to be honest, especially if an old fashioned memory card that Sony helped make mainstream in the past would have done the trick easily.

As for Brawl and the lens issue: not sure why Nintendo saw the need to tell people to send in their Wii's for lens replacements, upon which they sent us refurbished machines even, when a lens cleaner would have done the trick, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point. Hope the Smash 4 troubles won't lead to such drastic measures, but it probably won't.

Escalario

Banned
  • What firmware are you on? (Include region)
  • What games did you play recently? (Preferably include disc/download)
  • Did you get the 160-0103 error?

5.3.1E
Disc: Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta
Downloaded on external HDD: Smash, Shovel Knight, NES Remix 1/2
No error at all.

OmegaFax

5.3.1U
Digital Copy
No Errors
Cruzer Fit USB flash drive

I've played "For Glory" online since launch nearing at least 150 matches so far.

The red "X" over the download management icon I've seen trying to use a few different external HDDs. The download would complete but it would fail on installation.

Weng

5.3.0E
Disc
no error
played smash daily since thursday except for today (read about the error and didn't power up my system until now thanks to all this FUD)

Top Bottom