• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. for Wii U errors! [Update: General WiiU system failure error?]

samn

Sadly, if the worst does happen to you, which is not likely, since the fire at one of Nintendoes repair centres, they are now taking up to 5-6 weeks to complete repairs.

That is completely unacceptable. If they can't repair within a reasonable time they should be sending out new consoles.

Therefore, I want to ask everyone:
  • What firmware are you on? (Include region)
  • What games did you play recently? (Preferably include disc/download)
  • Did you get the 160-0103 error?

Don't ask of others what you don't want to do yourself, so I unboxed my Wii U for the first time since the weekend.

• 5.3.0 E (have not been online at all since before Smash launch)
  • Smash (disc), Bayonetta (disc)
  • Nope.

I just cleared a Classic run in Smash. The only error I got was a low battery alert on the Gamepad. It's annoying, but not console bricking (thankfully).

SeanR1221

So whats the word?

How and why is this happening?

Its related to people using USB sticks as storage devices? I guess that's why Nintendo doesn't recommend them.

JoeM86

That is completely unacceptable. If they can't repair within a reasonable time they should be sending out new consoles.

Be fair, it's not like they intended for a fire to tear through their entire repair centre in the UK.

Azure J

Oh what the hell? I thought this error code was just some usual "Nintendo fixing stuff" thing that popped up during my For Glory play today. I've had the console on the whole time since though.

Petrae

Be fair, it's not like they intended for a fire to tear through their entire repair centre in the UK.

That's not really the consumer's problem. If Nintendo can't meet repair demand because of the fire, then they should be responsible for an alternate plan to get the people who paid good money for hardware back to playing again in a reasonable time frame.

Oh what the hell? I thought this error code was just some usual "Nintendo fixing stuff" thing that popped up during my For Glory play today. I've had the console on the whole time since though.

Potential fix (deletes Smash Bros. data but potentially saves your console): https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhgwso3CQ

Don't be intimidated, these questions will be for a good cause. What firmware are you running on? Because you went online, I'd assume Smash Bros. is at version 1.0.1? Do you have a basic or deluxe WiiU?

Current speculations: it is the 1.0.1 patch or the 8 GB Wii U's (or a combination of both).

JoeM86

That's not really the consumer's problem. If Nintendo can't meet repair demand because of the fire, then they should be responsible for an alternate plan to get the people who paid good money for hardware back to playing again in a reasonable time frame.

They are doing so, but their first priority is to sort out and provide replacements to those who lost hardware in the fire.

I know, but it's literally for one game (Smash). I don't really see the point in getting a £30-40 HD for one game. :/

this error seems to be compelling.

Anyways I'm on the latest firmware and played two hours today and my game is fine. No externals plugged in on mine either

so far only disc user had this...

anyone who have the eShop version encountered this problem?
Someone on Smashboards got it using a download.

So this was just a knee-jerk reaction after all?
We are still not sure where this comes from. If it were a bug at ground level, many, many more systems would be affected and Miiverse would have been torn apart with rage.
On the other end, it could be factory defects. The Wii Us were ticking time bombs which exploded after being tickled enough by Smash. A probable explanation for this is that people bought the console, played a few games, then let it collect dust. Smash came, and the system cracked during the first stress test. However, there are two problems with this. Firstly, even people on GAF and Smashboards report the error after having played recent games (Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta) thoroughly. This already puts my argument down. Secondly, which is more of a gut feeling, this issue is too widespread to be a factory defect.
Ergo, there must be something that triggers this error, but it must be rare enough not to affect every Wii U (or a significant amount).

Vena

Secondly, which is more of a gut feeling, this issue is too widespread to be a factory defect.

0.0015% is not widespread. (Go with about a hundred or so people having ever reported this error, out of seven million+ shipped consoles.)

0.0015% is not widespread. (Go with about a hundred or so people having ever reported this error, out of seven million+ shipped consoles.)

I'd take a slightly larger number: 100-1000. Also, there are approximately 1 million copies of Smash Bros. sold (doubling America's first week sales). That is up to 0.1%. Still not a lot, but already realistic.

Like I said, if that's true, it could be a coincidence that they break now. Everyone is enslaving their Wii Us due to Smash and it might be the first test of power on their consoles. But does this fully explain the peak in broken consoles? If I knew, I'd shout it from the rooftops.

Weng

So how many Gaf users have encountered the problem? Wouldn't they flood the forum/this thread by now? Meanwhile in the Smash Bros for Wii U OT: happy people playing the game.

A mod can change the title if he wants. But don't you guys think it's strange that 99% of the people had this error after playing Smash?
Only two people reported that it happened with Batman Origins...

Do yourself a favour and Google the error code, you will see it popping up for years now on almost every game, neither Batman Origins, nor Scribblenauts were hot selling titles on the Wii U, SSB is, so it's no wonder more people run into the error code playing it, then on the other games.

Vena

I'd take a slightly larger number: 100-1000. Also, there are approximately 1 million copies of Smash Bros. sold (doubling America's first week sales). That is up to 0.1%. Still not a lot, but already realistic.

I say 7 million because this error has occurred across just about every game on the WiiU in a handful of cases per.

LonDonE

Neo Member
A game doing this? Seems more likely the firmware update.

Agreed i think its the firm ware too, my wii u here n the uk yesterday when i turned it on i saw a red x in the download section and when i selected it to see what it was i found it said a firmware update error, and so i checked to see what was wrong and it was fine and then i read a new firmware had been released so i manually started the download and every things fine.
I think the corrupted firmware downloaded some time after smash launched maybe not sure to be honest.I would of gone ape if my memory was erased on the system and on my external thumb flash drive.

samn

They didn't intend for my console (not actually mine but potentially mine) to get bricked either. Their fuckup, they need to fix it, and at minimal inconvenience to myself (hypothetically). I (we) paid a lot of money for this console and months with it out of action is not acceptable.

They're a big company, they don't get any special consideration, they can handle looking after their customers.

Goomba64

Banned
I literally got my Wii U yesterday, my first nintendo console since n64. I had a blast playing Smash For Glory all night long. Man if my system is fucked after one day... I don't even want to turn it on. Has nintendo said anything?? I can't believe I'm dealing with this shit again, the first PS4 game I wanted to buy was Drive Club, now this. WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE GAME COMPANIES?

I literally got my Wii U yesterday, my first nintendo console since n64. I had a blast playing Smash For Glory all night long. Man if my system is fucked after one day... I don't even want to turn it on. Has nintendo said anything?? I can't believe I'm dealing with this shit again, the first PS4 game I wanted to buy was Drive Club, now this. WTF IS WRONG WITH THESE GAME COMPANIES?

If you read the topic, you'd find out that it's not even related to smash.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
So is this related to internal memory somehow? I was using a USB stick for my SSB save data, but recently moved it to the internal. Should I switch back?

Fj0823

But GAF told me Nintendo was the only developer that delivered games without errors!

In all seriousness, Dont take risks guys. Wait until everything is fixed. Hope this story isn't blown out of proportion.

Hatchtag

Banned
Think it'll be fixed by Christmas? I don't want to risk having to send a Wii U in for repair with Nintendon't on it, since that's the most appealing thing about the system behind Smash Bros. for me.

Ricky 7

My Wii U crashed during the loading screen of Smash Bros. Everything seems fine so far though after I hard reset it.

jmizzal

I got an error today when I put in Smash, I dont know if it was that one, I just uplugged my HD and Smash Bros worked no lost data.

I dont have any of my saves on my HD outside of a few eshop games

alf717

Sounds like this is a failing Wii U issue:

This really needs to be said, the error is not isolated to Smash. This error has been occurring since the WiiU's launch in small doses from, what would probably be, factory defective units. (In fact, just googling the error will take you back years.) This is, more than likely, a faulty internal flash chip or worn flash chip. Its not unreasonable to believe that these exist out of the seven million shipped consoles. (Or its a firmware bug, which is entirely random and can happen from just about anything.)

Added: More info on the issue can also be found by following this link to Miiverse where an informed poster is going over the problem and what he knows on the problem. I suggest reading it. (Thanks Pokecatch.)

Added: As far as we're aware, Smash itself has not bricked anyone's console. The consoles were bricked by the end-user after doing a formatting at the suggestion of a, seemingly, uninformed representative from Nintendo or forum goes or their own volition. Other reps from NoE/NoA (see Miiverse above) have said TO NOT DO THIS. DO NOT FORMAT.
•Scribblenauts has caused this.
•Black Ops 2 has caused this.
•Batman Arkham Origins has caused this.
•3DWorld has caused this.
•NSMBU has caused this.
•MK8... (and another case of MK8 from within this post.)
•Smash...
•Hyrule Warriors (someone on Smashboards just reported it.)...
•From simply configuring your WiiU...
•Wind Waker HD... (Thanks NordicSm4sh)

Take any game on the WiiU, google it with this error, and you'll run into one or two people who had this same example issue.

Why is Smash suddenly in the headlines for a fault with the console? Well, what game just broke sales records (for the WiiU) and what game is everyone playing? Consider that, at current, in just North America, over half a million people have been playing this game. Do we even have ten reported cases? Doesn't that sample ratio seem a little off to you if it were Smash?

Also consider how many "For Glory" or just, in general, Smash you've played before ever hearing of this bug. Just because someone coughs in a crowd doesn't mean you're now sick with Ebola.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2o2ems/error_1600103_its_not_smash/

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhgwso3CQ

Skyzard

Banned
How many are getting the issue after playing Smash? Is it more than before?

Maybe there is a big problem with the WiiU but no one has played enough of it to see if it holds up? Shit...better give it some testing before it the warranty finishes.

wrongway

Sounds like this is a failing Wii U issue

Yeah, this. Sounds like plain old hardware failure. The panic over Smash causing it just makes me think back to the early 360 years when every major release was accompanied by a wave of "<new game> killed my xbox!" posts.

I dunno. I've got a Wii U on the way, but after poking around looking at this stuff this evening I'm not terribly concerned.

Maybe smash bros sold so many consoles that it just looks like a smash issue but its a hardware centered issue. So a bad thing, but kinda good too! Right?

JoeM86

Really is sad that people are still jumping to conclusions with this, saying Nintendo shipped a broken game. Seriously, when can we get the topic title changed to reflect the actual issue?

They didn't intend for my console (not actually mine but potentially mine) to get bricked either. Their fuckup, they need to fix it, and at minimal inconvenience to myself (hypothetically). I (we) paid a lot of money for this console and months with it out of action is not acceptable.

They're a big company, they don't get any special consideration, they can handle looking after their customers.

They are doing their absolute best. I honestly don't think you get how big the fire was. They're still doing repairs etc. but there may be a slight delay because, I dunno, their building burned down?

at this point I think it's better to rename, lock or delete this thread as all it seems to do is scare the shit out of people.

The error really seems to be around since wiiU release.

Nohar

alf717's post should be copy/pasted to the op.

I strongly disagree with deleting this thread. At least people should know this exists, and how to react if that ever happens to them.

Finally, the best outcome would be for Nintendo to identify the problem and solve it if possible (if it is a firmware bug, they should be able to patch it, no?). Well, that is assuming the problem becomes so well-known they have no choice but to react about it.

5.3.1E
Smash, Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors
No error so far

Painguy

If its corrupted save data that is doing this then maybe people are doing something while the game is auto saving or something. The game does auto save after you play an online match. Try waiting a few seconds before powering off the system after playing any mode in order to make the issue less probable of occurring. Trying powering off only in the main menu or quit the game before powering off.

-----edit-----

oh wow im a member now yay

If its corrupted save data that is doing this then maybe people are doing something while the game is auto saving or something. The game does auto save after you play an online match. Try waiting a few seconds before powering off the system after playing any mode in order to make the issue less probable of occurring.

This is a good advice, for any game. If Smash autosave function is overactive (saving too often without notification), then Nintendo will be able to patch a smarter save algorithm. But does this explain the errors in the update data? I think it might, depending on how the Wii U reads patches.

Also, Nintendo made a statement:
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHhoW2xyUA
1A3upza.png

Top Bottom