• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros. for Wii U errors! [Update: General WiiU system failure error?]

Simply because now everyone is playing Smash Bros. like mad. More consoles being on for longer times equals a higher chance of factory defects popping up. Your search query strengthens the hypothesis (but does not confirm it).

Basically yes, SSB is for sure the fastest selling Wii U game to date, this means, it's put in the hands of more players at a shorter time frame, then any other game before. An error possibly occuring with every game (or at least with a high number, if you look it up on Google) is expected to occur more often with a game, that sells better.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This morning, I did the update, then I played some SSB: For Glory, For Fun, Team matches, some events...

Right now, I just loaded the game again, no problem at all. Doing some events now.

Or the glitch has nothing to do with for glory.

This. Can the OP please be updated? All we know is that we know literally nothing. It *might* have something to do with Smash Bros., but even that is not certain. Of course, it is speculated that Smash's online mode (more specifically, For glory) has something to do with it, but it is far from certain.

Yeah it's not like it disrupts multiplayer matches or anything awful like that. It just bricks consoles sometimes.

From my understanding it's the formatting of the system in an attempt to get rid of the corrupted save that does the bricking. This is the thing nintendo support will advise you to do when you contact them about the error though. I guess they don't know any better at this time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nintendo isn't even safe this holiday, huh? Bricking consoles too? Nintendo upping the ante and is back in the race!

Dr. Buni

Can't say I am playing a lot of For Glory lately, as with people playing the same fucking characters (the ones they read are good on SmashBoards/reddit) over and over again.

Still something to worry, though.

ugoo18

To be fully certain on this, the people experiencing this issue have all played For Glory at some point correct?

Didn't a For Glory (Not the Peach banning but something else) related thing happen for the 3DS version before either the first or second patch?

Potential solution, via Miiverse:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhgwso3CQ
Just been on the phone to Nintendo Repairs for half an hour. The error code that is coming up for a small amount of people whilst playing this game, is NOT just related to this game. It is a general 'corrupt data' message. Basically, your saved data for Smash has become corrupt. The first thing they told me was, 'DO NOT FORMAT YOUR SYSTEM'. If you can get into the Data Management section, go to your Smash saved data, and delete it, along with ANY AND ALL DLC for the game. Then re-download any DLC from tbe e-shop. I have had this error once in the past, and it was for Arkham City. I was using a USB as an external storage system. Since I have been using my 2TB external hard drive, I have had no problems at all. Sadly, if the worst does happen to you, which is not likely, since the fire at one of Nintendoes repair centres, they are now taking up to 5-6 weeks to complete repairs. I will continue playing as normal, and no doubt update when Nintendo releases a patch, which will be pretty soon I would imagine. What with the game releasing in Japan in 3 days, and the Christmas run up, they will want to get this nailed ASAP.

Although a similar solution has been linked to, it is worth noting that this works for multiple people.

Piccoro

This exact situation happened to me late on the first day that we owned it. Note: "delete all files" does not work because update data will not delete (manually or as part of the system delete).

I had to box up my console and send it off (last Tuesday), so I am hoping to get it back before Christmas.

Really a bummer. The 2nd-level support guy I talked to on the phone said that they had been hearing about the problem all day(!). Fortunately, they did not charge me for the repair even though it is 14 months old (although they wanted to at first).

Edit: can't say if my son played "For Glory" mode or not ever, I did not. I was playing on a tube when it happened though after playing most of the day earlier on a flat screen/HDMI.

Where you using a wireless connection, or wired? Or you using an external HDD or pendrive? Is your copy digital or retail?
Thanks.

linkboy

Probably a good thing that I'm boxing my Wii U since I'm leaving for Korea this weekend (last thing I need is my son somehow messing it up by exploring).

Potential solution, via Miiverse:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhgwso3CQ

Although a similar solution has been linked to, it is worth noting that this works for multiple people.

Backing up Smash save data seems like a very good idea, I'll do it today. I'll still wait a bit until I play Smash again, as some people on Smashboards say they can't delete the save data or that it didn't fix the problem. Anyway, people, it's very clear that we shouldn't try to format the system if the problem shows up.

Raitaro

You can backup all your data in an external HDD. But that data will only work in YOUR console! You cannot copy it to another Wii U. And if you/Nintendo formats your console, the backed up data won't work again.

This is what gets to me more than even glitches, broken games and bricked systems - the fact that game saves nowadays are held hostage on a single machine despite having cloud technology and usb drive compatibility built in. Old fashioned memory cards used to allow for easy and unlimited transferring between consoles and players, so why did we lose this ability and are forced to be fine with it?

This problem has become painfully clear to me after my ps3 lost it's network capabilities and had it motherboard replaced (to no avail after a few days of working again, which is why its back at the repair guy again for round 2). I'm happy I was still able to upload my saves to psn when the wifi/internet problems first started happening, but now I have to keep paying my ps+ subscription fees till I get a working machine back and can download them to my ps3 again. Making a full backup or doing manual save backups wouldn't help me because of the (baffling) copy protection applied to some of the most valuable save files (= Souls games) and because a new motherboard meant that my ps3 counted as a new machine and refused to accept the backup. It's like save files are meant to be consumables instead of things we actually want to...save for later use.

In other words, I'm not ready for my Wii U to brick as well, and especially not to lose my Wii U saves in the progress. Let's hope a solution will be found soon, apart from avoiding the For Glory mode.

Ps. All of this also does remind me a lot of how Brawl came on (one of) the first dual layer discs that many first generation Wii's couldn't read (including both my own and my parent's console) and had to be sent to Nintendo to "replace the laser" (which meant getting a different refurbished machine, not your own one back, and thus that Mii data and some save files were not copied to it). New game, similar result in other words. It might indeed be the case that these problems occur now because of Smash's mass appeal and there being so many copies played at the moment, which is still a shame of course.

Raitaro

Backing up Smash save data seems like a very good idea, I'll do it today. I'll still wait a bit until I play Smash again, as some people on Smashboards say they can't delete the save data or that it didn't fix the problem. Anyway, people, it's very clear that we shouldn't try to format the system if the problem shows up.

Ah, so if I understand the miiverse post and the quoted comment correctly, in this case backing up the game saves might do the trick in terms of avoiding these files from corrupting later down the line and then being forced to remove them completely or risk them bricking your system, right? I guess a backup save can still keep its value before we brick our systems and need a replacement, so at least we have not lost that functionality yet.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I just came home with a Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle and Smash, and luckily found this thread.

So is the game safe to play on a new system, as in did they pull the update that caused it, or do I have to avoid updating/playing for glory?

Is there a safe way to play Smash at the moment?

Can I update my Wii U on my first startup, or should I avoid connecting it to the internet?

Reading about these errors is always scary. Then you realize that it probably affects less than 1% of the gamer-base. So you need to be really unlucky.

Piccoro

This is what gets to me more than even glitches, broken games and bricked systems - the fact that game saves nowadays are held hostage on a single machine despite having cloud technology and usb drive compatibility built in. Old fashioned memory cards used to allow for easy and unlimited transferring between consoles and players, so why did we lose this ability and are forced to be fine with it?

This problem has become painfully clear to me after my ps3 lost it's network capabilities and had it motherboard replaced (to no avail after a few days of working again, which is why its back at the repair guy again for round 2). I'm happy I was still able to upload my saves to psn when the wifi/internet problems first started happening, but now I have to keep paying my ps+ subscription fees till I get a working machine back and can download them to my ps3 again. Making a full backup or doing manual save backups wouldn't help me because of the (baffling) copy protection applied to some of the most valuable save files (= Souls games) and because a new motherboard meant that my ps3 counted as a new machine and refused to accept the backup. It's like save files are meant to be consumables instead of things we actually want to...save for later use.

In other words, I'm not ready for my Wii U to brick as well, and especially not to lose my Wii U saves in the progress. Let's hope a solution will be found soon, apart from avoiding the For Glory mode.

Ps. All of this also does remind me a lot of how Brawl came on (one of) the first dual layer discs that many first generation Wii's couldn't read (including both my own and my parent's console) and had to be sent to Nintendo to "replace the laser" (which meant getting a different refurbished machine, not your own one back, and thus that Mii data and some save files were not copied to it). New game, similar result in other words. It might indeed be the case that these problems occur now because of Smash's mass appeal and there being so many copies played at the moment, which is still a shame of course.

Well, you can easily backup the PS3 saves to the cloud, so no problems there.
Nintendo removed save-copying and SD card save file copying because of piracy reasons...
About Brawl, there was a time when my Wii refused to read the disc. I solved it by getting the official Nintendo lens cleaner. Apart from that, Brawl came with much less glitches than the new Smash.

DaddyO

Neo Member
Where you using a wireless connection, or wired? Or you using an external HDD or pendrive? Is your copy digital or retail?
Thanks.

WiFi, although we were only playing local matches.

The game was a retail disc. Save files and updates were on the internal memory.

The original symptom was the 160-0103 error whenever I would go to the stage select screen in any mode that required you to select a stage. I posted on the Nintendo support forums on 11/23 to see if others were having the issue.

Meanwhile I tried deleting save data, but I could not delete the update file (it would give me a general system error). Later that night I called the support line and was told that I would need to send it in at my own expense or try to "delete all files". After some soul searching we decided to do that. After about 15 minutes, the delete procedure halted. My Wii U would not boot after that. To be specific, when I would turn it on, it would look like it was trying to resume deleteing files, but would quickly fail. The Wii U remote could not connect to the console. I called NOA back on 11/24 and arranged my repair order.

We have played 100+ of hours of MH3, Mario Kart, Wind Waker, Pikmin etc. on this console without any prior issues.

Based on what the support tech told me back on 11/24 I was kind of waiting to see if my experience was isolated or not. Aside from a handful of posts on Nintendo's support site, this is the first confirmation that this may be a legit, although apparently sporadic, issue.

DaddyO

Neo Member
From my understanding it's the formatting of the system in an attempt to get rid of the corrupted save that does the bricking. This is the thing nintendo support will advise you to do when you contact them about the error though. I guess they don't know any better at this time.

Yes, this is consistent with my experienced detailed a few posts up. The issue was originally isolated to the stage select screen in Smash, which meant that most of the game was broken for me, buy my Wii U still otherwise functioned. It wasn't until that I did "the fix" that my system became completely unusable.

JoeM86

I just came home with a Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle and Smash, and luckily found this thread.

So is the game safe to play on a new system, as in did they pull the update that caused it, or do I have to avoid updating/playing for glory?

Can I update my Wii U on my first startup, or should I avoid connecting it to the internet?

Yes it's safe to play. All evidence suggests this is not a Super Smash Bros. issue but rather one due to an issue with a very small portion or units. It's just seemingly common because people are playing Smash and thus it happened with Smash.

This error has existed in the past.

Play, my friend. Play and enjoy. If it happens, it happens, but it doesn't appear to be the result of a bad patch or a glitched game.

WiFi, although we were only playing local matches.

The game was a retail disc. Save files and updates were on the internal memory.

The original symptom was the 160-0103 error whenever I would go to the stage select screen in any mode that required you to select a stage. I posted on the Nintendo support forums on 11/23 to see if others were having the issue.

Meanwhile I tried deleting save data, but I could not delete the update file (it would give me a general system error). Later that night I called the support line and was told that I would need to send it in at my own expense or try to "delete all files". After some soul searching we decided to do that. After about 15 minutes, the delete procedure halted. My Wii U would not boot after that. To be specific, when I would turn it on, it would look like it was trying to resume deleteing files, but would quickly fail. The Wii U remote could not connect to the console. I called NOA back on 11/24 and arranged my repair order.

We have played 100+ of hours of MH3, Mario Kart, Wind Waker, Pikmin etc. on this console without any prior issues.

Based on what the support tech told me back on 11/24 I was kind of waiting to see if my experience was isolated or not. Aside from a handful of posts on Nintendo's support site, this is the first confirmation that this may be a legit, although apparently sporadic, issue.

Curiously, did you have any custom stages? Did you try 8-player Smash (where custom stages are not loaded)?

Also, a nice and detailed explanation. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
lucky I'm too scared to play for glory cause IM SHIT

SykoTech

You've gotta be shitting me. And here I thought Nintendo of all companies would be free of the broken game trend going on this holiday/gen. -_-

Well, hope everything is fixed up by Christmas. My Wii U mega bundle is on the way, and it's going to suck hard if the main game I bought it for is still screwed up.

DaddyO

Neo Member
Curiously, did you have any custom stages? Did you try 8-player Smash (where custom stages are not loaded)?

Also, a nice and detailed explanation. Thanks.

There was one custom stage that my son created a few hours earlier. We were not playing that stage when the issue happened. The error did still happen after we deleted the custom stage. The issue still happened after we deleted all of our user and shared data (leaving only the update which we could not delete). We did not try 8-player smash after the error occurred.

daxgame

I bought the game yesterday, and the only odd thing I noticed was a red X above the Download Management icon. First time seeing that. This was after I downloaded the update patch. Did you guys noticed anything strange?

this also happened to me, and it's because it was trying to download a new system update (?) but "failed" (?). Haven't turned up my WiiU after reading about this, will wait for official patch\statement

I don't really believe this will be a widespread issue, but I'll wait at least a couple of days to see if any news arise. I live in Brazil and it will be next to impossible to send my Wii U for repairs if disaster strikes. However, if I lived in the countries where Nintendo has a presence I would just keep playing.

daxgame

hmm, I'm starting to suspect this has to do with the USB thumbdrives - which I don't use. I remember Nintendo recommending to not use certain types. I'd like to know if there's someone who experienced the problem and has everything on WiiU's hard disk.

What I find the most strange in all of this is that the corrupted save manages to crash the OS' data storage manager. And if the reports about the brick are correct and the WiiU attempts to resume formatting the memory on startup but fails, it also crashes the memory formatting application.

hmm, I'm starting to suspect this has to do with the USB thumbdrives - which I don't use. I remember Nintendo recommending to not use certain types. I'd like to know if there's someone who experienced the problem and has everything on WiiU's hard disk.

There are people. DaddyO a few posts above you for example ;) But as far as I know (about USB thumbdrives), the problems are indeed quite similar.

Also, if I interpret Smash Boards correctly, this occurs for both disc and download version of the game.

DaddyO

Neo Member
I don't really believe this will be a widespread issue, but I'll wait at least a couple of days to see if any news arise. I live in Brazil and it will be next to impossible to send my Wii U for repairs if disaster strikes. However, if I lived in the countries where Nintendo has a presence I would just keep playing.

As someone who got bitten by this error, I actually think this is a well-reasoned response.

I do think the error is Smash related, but I also think that it is intermittent and not common (or there would be thousands of people clamoring with the problem). So if you live in the USA and you feel lucky, smash away!

BasilZero

This is some scary mess ;x

My WiiU is expected to be shipped soon and I'll get it within a week or so (lol) - hopefully they resolve the issue that is happening :x.

BasilZero

The OP mentions data management - is that on the WiiU or on Smash itself?

(Dont have a WiiU yet and I'm worried I might run into this issue :x).

I dont plan on playing online MP especially For the Glory when I first start playing though.

Piccoro

The OP mentions data management - is that on the WiiU or on Smash itself?

(Dont have a WiiU yet and I'm worried I might run into this issue :x).

I dont plan on playing online MP especially For the Glory when I first start playing though.

It is the Data management on the system itself.

It kind-of seems like it's related to the Wii U failing to download the latest firmware update. Someone mentioned that the eShop was down for maintenance and, when you download firmware updates, Nintendo puts a "do not disconnect from the internet" advisory up while it is downloading. Perhaps (and I'm no software engineer) what is happening is that people had their Wii U automatically download the firmware update, which then broke when the eShop went down, yet their Wii U decided to try and install the broken firmware anyway?

I just downloaded 5.3.1 minutes ago with no issue. Never saw a red X on the download management icon. Smash loads and plays just fine.

But, again, I know nothing about software engineering.

phanphare

Banned
Nope, just the usual GAF hyperbole. Less than 1% has error, which is an odd one though, that has occurred through various other titles and not Smash, and it means the game is broken.

yeah I know :p

And here we all thought these things do not happen with Nintendo.

a01f74a338d7cc8d2eaeb00c15d21d82.500x469x1.jpg

Top Bottom