• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So 2010 was 10 years ago....

JordanN

Banned
Yet another nostalgia thread.

But holy crap, when someone says "last decade" it no longer refers to the 2000s, 90s, or the 80s. It now refers to the start of 2010.

What were most Gaffers even doing back then?

I still remember being in High School and running to the downstairs computer lab so I could stream Nintendo's E3 presentation and finally learn about the 3DS before having to run back upstairs and get back to class.

Now if I want to learn about a new console, I just pull out my smartphone from my pocket and connect to the internet anywhere.

rAFP13z.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, I also discovered Neogaf for the first time.

This was the thread I was following that later convinced me to sign up.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
2010 and Sony’s shooters we need those back that’s what won the generation for Sony (Resistance, Socom, Killzone etc.) just an incredible shooter lineup that year but it doesn’t look like it’s happening with the switch to open world third person.

drganon

Gold Member
I was in community college and working in a grocery store. Back then I also hated jrpgs. Now, I have an MBA I'm not doing anything with, still working for a grocery store but now in a management position. My life kinda sucked then and it still does now. At least I like jrpgs now so I've got more to play.

JordanN

Banned
Was working at Walmart for like 10 CAD an hour.
Now I work at a convenience store for like 10 CAD an hour, but the dollar is shit now so probably making less than I was.
Wait, that can't be right.
Are you in Ontario? Minimum wage was $10.25 but then they increased it to $14 sometime in 2017.

That said, yeah, the money is worth less now.

Last edited:

Sakura

Wait, that can't be right.
Are you in Ontario? Minimum wage was $10.25 but then they increased it to $14 sometime in 2016.

That said, yeah, the money is worth less now.
Nah right now I'm not in Canada, which is why it's still around 10 because of the exchange rate.

Last edited:

Sakura

Yikes, how do you survive?
Going by your profile, are you in Japan and living standards are cheaper?
Yeah in Japan. Rent is only 25,000 yen (315 CAD) a month, so it's actually pretty easy on the same wage.
You look at Canada, my province BC for example, and they talk about how they need to raise the minimum wage because nobody can live off 10 or 12 or 14 dollars an hour, but the reason it's not a livable wage is because rent is fucking expensive and keeps getting higher and they don't do anything about it. Even outside major cities like Vancouver the cheapest "place" you can get is like 500 dollars for a single room in somebody else's house.

JordanN

Banned
Yeah in Japan. Rent is only 25,000 yen (315 CAD) a month, so it's actually pretty easy on the same wage.
You look at Canada, my province BC for example, and they talk about how they need to raise the minimum wage because nobody can live off 10 or 12 or 14 dollars an hour, but the reason it's not a livable wage is because rent is fucking expensive and keeps getting higher and they don't do anything about it. Even outside major cities like Vancouver the cheapest "place" you can get is like 500 dollars for a single room in somebody else's house.
That's still way more affordable than where I currently live.

The average 1 person room is $1,697/month and most choose to live in someone's basement.
And I don't even live in the city, but a suburb outside of Toronto.

Last edited:

Sakura

That's still way more affordable than where I currently live.

The average 1 person room is $1,697/month and most choose to live in someone's basement.
And I don't even live in the city, but a suburb outside of Toronto.
Yeah the housing market is so fucked over there. I live in the city of Fukuoka. 1.5 million people. Population growth of 5.1% 2010 to 2015. I can live in a place for 300~CAD a month. The place I lived in before was even cheaper and included high speed internet for free! (granted it was a pretty shitty place),
Vancouver, population 650k or so. Growth rate 2011 to 2016 of 4.6%. 300 bucks a month? Good luck finding a place under 1000. (probably doesn't exist!) But it's ok, because they will just keep raising the minimum wage without ever addressing the real problems, while the cost of rent rises, and employers cut hours and staff because minimum wage keeps going up. And the people will keep voting for whomever tells them they will raise the minimum wage.

SKM1

2010 feels like an eternity ago tbh... I had just graduated highschool and can't really remember much of that year. Started university but the curriculum was shit so I ultimately dropped out beginning 2011, which I took as a sabatical, playing videogames, reading lots of books and hanging out with friends. Good times.

My GAF account was finally activated in 2010. Was making minimum wage, living paycheck to paycheck, and had no idea what I wanted to do in life. I hit a low point around this time, but have some decent memories sprinkled in between.

Fortunately, life is good now. Infinitely better in every way imaginable. It's hard to believe it's been 10 years, but I'm glad those days are behind me.

Graduated high school a semester late and started college for the first time. I didn’t take it seriously as I mentally wasn’t ready and I was getting drunk and high regularly.

I started my first job at a retail place, bought a PS3 along with MGS4, and pretty much became a trophy addict since then.

Ememee

It was the height of me acting in college. I had ranked pretty high in my region in competitions, was preparing for my last performance in “12 angry Men”, and directing my first main stage production.

Had a shit ton of friends, partying, was in a relationship with the ex I considered I loved the most, but also being a piece of shit and cheating on her. So, a decade ago was the height of my youth. In all the good and bad ways.

cryptoadam

Banned
In a horrible relationship with a real bitch LOL.

Man end of an era. 1980-2010 the best of times. Amazing time in tech, culture, finance heck even politics wasn't that bad. It was peak. Cold War had ended and the Internet was about to explode. Computers went from super expensive to basically handheld. Video games went from Pong to AAA. You had great 80's music, then grunge and rap, and the burgeoning rave scene.

Once the 10's hit its been all downhill since then. Fell sorry for anyone who didn't really get to live through the glory years and missed out on all the greatness.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Was in university, scrambling money to pay for XBL lol i used to buy 1-2 game in entire year and borrow my friend's. Still i used to have more fun back than gaming then now. Its weird. Now i can afford it all but less desire.

JordanN

Banned
Was in university, scrambling money to pay for XBL lol i used to buy 1-2 game in entire year and borrow my friend's. Still i used to have more fun back than gaming then now. Its weird. Now i can afford it all but less desire.
I hadn't moved onto current gen consoles yet and was mostly a DS gamer.
That said, handhelds were absolutely on fire at that time I didn't actually feel like I was missing out much.

Later that year, I did end up with a new home console: The Wii.

Biggest mistake ever...

Last edited:

Tranquil

2010 doesn't seem that long ago to me. I remember the big earthquake in haite, I had been working at my career job for little over a year (still work there) and I just moved out for good this time a few months earlier.

Around this time in 2010? Just finished college and was a NEET, I remember regularly checking /vp/ for Pokemon Black/White info and also checking GAF. The start of the decade was so good and then it gradually got worse as a whole.

JordanN

Banned
Around this time in 2010? Just finished college and was a NEET, I remember regularly checking /vp/ for Pokemon Black/White info and also checking GAF. The start of the decade was so good and then it gradually got worse as a whole.
One of the greatest trolls ever, when Pokemon Black/White came out in Japan and people were desperate for ROM leaks, they were tricked into downloading Cory in the House instead.

nxjzbXG.jpg

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
I was 21, had recently become a father, working my ass off during the day and going to college at night.

It was completely different than what my life was less than 2 years prior, but I enjoyed it and look back with fondness, specially at my son.

To be honest though, since then, it seems like the time and days and years just went by like crazy.

nush

Gold Member
I'd landed the most awesome job I'd ever have and am ever likely to again. I got headhunted by a business related friend, I'd say more friend than anything as the companies I'd worked for didn't do much business with him anymore. Eventually he considered me as a younger brother.
When he asked how much salary I wanted, he offered me more. "What job title shall we give you?" "OK, you're Director of Technology".
RaggedCarefulCivet-size_restricted.gif

I had this really awesome private office, that wasn't like an office at all. I was furnished as a living room of a house, sofas, big flatscreen, all the consoles, 5.1 setup. It really did not feel like being at work at all. When clients would be toured around the building they would always be amazed that it was my actual office and were quite envious. There was a small desk in the corner with a phone on it, but I never used it. I'd just sit on the couch with my laptop on the coffee table.

I'd have to travel all round the world, paid for, be out drinking partying with clients several times a week or just hanging out with the director and his friends. I had a new studio apartment just in the city so I'd furnished everything brand new. I'd get a car sent for me each morning to take me to the office was well.

Loads of cash and expenses never questioned and they could be up to $1000 sometimes. Which of course naturally leads to loads women. My life was like the Gangham Style video. That's why my broke ass is still living in a mortgage free penthouse.

It wasn't to last, but it was unbelievable while it did.

Meowzers

Sean Price was still alive. Alex Ferguson managed Manchester Utd, Gareth Bale put defenders on ice and gaming was cheaper lol.

Mistake

2010 is when I quit college, and the only ones that ever regretted it were my professors. True story

Komatsu

I was working for a Japanese company. Traveled to Tokyo a couple of times, rented a place in Ikebukuro. The early 2010s were really good if you were in or worked with Asia.

The PSP was the shit. Playing Phantasy Star Portable, Jeanne D’Arc , Valkyria Chronicles 2 , Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, etc during my commute.

Man, I miss being in my 20s. I know they tell the thirties are amazing when you’re like 25 but I can assure those are lies. lol Enjoy it while you can.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Gonna borrow OPs image here... but learning that most of you guys were still in school in 2010 has me like

rAFP13z.gif

My oldest was 13 in 2010...

Komatsu

How do you people even remember?

Can't speak for the others, but I was just out of college 10 years ago, so it'd be somewhat weird if I couldn't remember what I did as a working adult barely a decade ago.

Last edited:

Working in the bakeshop in a grocery store
Inception was awesome
Fallout New Vegas, Alan Wake, Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption rocked
Bad Company 2 for multiplayer
Halo Reach was just fine
Games like Just Cause 2 and Metro 2033 I wouldn't discover until the following year

Things I believed at the time...

The Dark Knight or Aliens was my favorite film
Favorite album was Manowar - Into Glory Ride
Favorite video game was Super Metroid

teezzy

Banned
Man, I miss being in my 20s. I know they tell the thirties are amazing when you’re like 25 but I can assure those are lies. lol Enjoy it while you can.

Idk if it helps or not but you'll likely miss your 30s while in your 40s and so on

I'll be 30 in February. It's surreal. I'm just eternally grateful that I at least kinda sorta have my shit together by now

K1Expwy

I was working for a Japanese company. Traveled to Tokyo a couple of times, rented a place in Ikebukuro. The early 2010s were really good if you were in or worked with Asia.

The PSP was the shit. Playing Phantasy Star Portable, Jeanne D’Arc , Valkyria Chronicles 2 , Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, etc during my commute.

Almost literally me. I was playing God Eater, Dariusburst, Peace Walker back then. Goat handheld.

I stayed in a hotel in Shinjuku, not far from the filming locations in the movie Enter the Void. I watched that crazy movie and kept saying "omg I just walked down that same street!"

I Was 22 and in my 3rd year at university, poor and fat but was having fun with my PSP/PS3 and playing P3/P4 undub on my PS2, it was during my weeb days too i was heavy into anime/manga.

It was a good time looking back but i'm waaaay better off right now.

Same company, similar job but in a different department. Still lived a home though.
Now I have my own crib for which I pay very low rent, am as of this months debt free and more relaxed as ever.

Life wasn't bad back then but I can honestly say I'm as settled and happy as I could be. I have no goals whatsoever. My grandma sent me 10k Euro last month. I don't even know what to do with it. I don't need anything.

Life's good.

Top Bottom