• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces lets you create your own character [Update: Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Idk what to tell you, I have a finite amount of time and money. I like Sonic a lot because for some reason I'm a weird asshole who can't let go of the hope that they'll recapture the stuff I liked from 3&K and Adventure 1. I have less than zero interest in playing as some dumb looking asshole with guns and mediocre boost gameplay.

Thank God for Mania. I'll pass.

I mean, I feel you.

But all I'm saying is, there will probably be more info , i'll look into that before throwing it away.

But trust me, I FEEEL YOU . Though for me its more SA2 than one

The Hermit

Sega a few weeks after Sonic Forces releases:

whid1.gif

Hahahaha

I think they know the kind of hell they are creating.

The trailer has the world fucked up already so theres that

Because no one liked lost world, because its bad

And people like generations, the 3d parts, because its a good video game.

The 2d parts still being a thing in this game confuses me, because in a world with sonic mania, it isn't needed. And the entire appeal of making character, is strictly a sonic adventure forward idea.

Generations (and by extension Unleashed, I honestly think Unleashed is a sub-par game all-round) is also incredibly overrated and reliant on core gameplay mechanics that simply had nowhere to go after Generations. Lost World was a stumbling block, yes, but the core movement and ability mechanics had enormous potential.

The problem is, like a lot of things, Sonic Team is tone-deaf and incapable of properly parsing critique - people don't like other character gameplay because they're nearly always too removed from Sonic's gameplay and usually undercooked as a result? Make it so only Sonic is playable but invent (usually stupid) reasons to deviate into more undercooked non-Sonic gameplay (I also believe Sonic Team is paranoid that the core gameplay won't keep players' attention for long and thus try to spice things up way too much to compensate). Lost World had good ideas but flawed execution? Junk everything and rehash Generations! And so on and so forth.

Speaking of Sonic Mania, Sonic Team has the perfect fucking template for good 2D Sonic gameplay right there, and yet we see a mostly-automated and poorly designed Green Hill in Forces, making Classic Sonic look hopelessly redundant.

Sonic Team lost the damn plot a long time ago, and still haven't found it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Generations (and by extension Unleashed, I honestly think Unleashed is a sub-par game all-round) is also incredibly overrated and reliant on core gameplay mechanics that simply had nowhere to go after Generations. Lost World was a stumbling block, yes, but the core movement and ability mechanics had enormous potential.

The problem is, like a lot of things, Sonic Team is tone-deaf and incapable of properly parsing critique - people don't like other character gameplay because they're nearly always too removed from Sonic's gameplay and usually undercooked as a result? Make it so only Sonic is playable but invent (usually stupid) reasons to deviate into more undercooked non-Sonic gameplay (I also believe Sonic Team is paranoid that the core gameplay won't keep players' attention for long and thus try to spice things up way too much to compensate). Lost World had good ideas but flawed execution? Junk everything and rehash Generations! And so on and so forth.

Speaking of Sonic Mania, Sonic Team has the perfect fucking template for good 2D Sonic gameplay right there, and yet we see a mostly-automated and poorly designed Green Hill in Forces, making Classic Sonic look hopelessly redundant.

Truth.

NoKisum

I have.
If you want to let people bully you into submission that's fine. I am entirely too old for that school yard bullshit .

This has nothing to do with bullying and everything to do with being part of that toxic side of the community. Now, that toxic side is essentially a gameplay feature.

Don't be surprised if the next mainline Sonic game is a dating sim.

LMAO!!!! OMFG... I called it in another thread!! Always been here for all of Sonic's friends, and thought Sonic Boom had some very neat gameplay ideas (although poorly executed). But after years of insatiable "fans" calling every new character "shitty", Sega finally have their equivalent of this.

ca8.png

BiggNife

I'm... honestly fine with this.

The Sonic purists have Sonic Mania. I'm fine with Forces embracing the sillier aspects of Sonic fandom.

And the gameplay looks fine. I'll gladly take this over werehog or whatever.

Speely

Banned
I'm... honestly fine with this.

The Sonic purists have Sonic Mania. I'm fine with Forces embracing the sillier aspects of Sonic fandom.

And the gameplay looks fine. I'll gladly take this over werehog or whatever.

I think it'll be fun and hilarious at the same time. Can't wait.

Village

That's neat if you think that. Thats fine, that's your opinion. I'm just telling you the answer to your question is " everyone else literally doesn't think that" . It sucks, I want jak and daxter but the reason i'm not going to get it is because , well because a lot of those people are gone. But more so than that because their new stuff makes money and they wanna do it.
The problem is, like a lot of things, Sonic Team is tone-deaf and incapable of properly parsing critique - people don't like other character gameplay because they're nearly always too removed from Sonic's gameplay and usually undercooked as a result?
I feel you. That was a dumb thing that they did. I could go into it, but I don't really want waste more time yelling into the ether of the internet about how sega lost a shit ton of money. Not today anyway, but with sega there will always be a chance.

Make it so only Sonic is playable but invent (usually stupid) reasons to deviate into more undercooked non-Sonic gameplay (I also believe Sonic Team is paranoid that the core gameplay won't keep players' attention for long and thus try to spice things up way too much to compensate).
I feel you, its pretty clear they don't have confidence in their IP. Like why even have classic sonic in this game, if you are making a classic sonic game? Who is that for, the people buying mania have that game.

Lost World had good ideas but flawed execution? Junk everything and rehash Generations! And so on and so forth.
This is where we disagree ,because I don't think lost world had any good ideas

Yep

YEEEP

We don't agree on lost world, but we agree on this

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
For all the hate this is getting in here, this is going to be huge.

Sonic has always been a big seller but Forces and Mania are both going all in and catering to the audience hard. I can see them both being massive hits.

Yep. This is gonna be Sega/Sonic Team by the end of the year.

tenor.gif

I think it's time that Sonic Team should stop making Sonic games. They're better when they're making Phantasy Star Online anyway...

This is just... I don't know, I just don't know how to feel about this. It's just that wrong.

This need some kind of sharing like Mii Plaza or The Lobby in Splatoon where you can see OC of your friends. Also, I want to create the bio of my character.

Yes I want to see the world burns!

Gin-Shiio

I think it's time that Sonic Team should stop making Sonic games. They're better when they're making Phantasy Star Online anyway...

Did you know PSO2 has devolved into loli-pandering nonsense? The last news broadcast's big tease was a bathing scene featuring the highschool-aged protagonists of the current story episode. This is who they are now.

This actually looks pretty cool.

The character creator seems a bit superfluous but I know that'll appeal to a bunch of people. Gameplay looks like a fast Ratchet which I'm down for, it's all in the execution.

Oh sorry GAF, I'll get out of your way, lolol furries mirite?

Village

This has nothing to do with bullying and everything to do with being part of that toxic side of the community. Now, that toxic side is essentially a gameplay feature.

Don't be surprised if the next mainline Sonic game is a dating sim.

So a few things

1) I don't really think people creating characters is toxic. People do it all the time, its literally the basis of all stories from a certain point of time until now. All artistic media is influence on those that come next the internet has just allowed for the acceleration for it. So I don't care, no do I think its toxic, other games, and communities do it, sonic does it. Its nothing special , its non toxic and much like non toxic shit children will probably eat this shit shit.

2) It really does seem like you are super self conscious about that, I mean you can do that. I don't care, i'm a grown ass man. But you can care though I wont stop you. I have other things to do than waste my time being upset people are doing literally harmless artistically creative things to pass the time, and video games allowing that creativity to expand.

PSqueak

Banned
Oh my god! those crazy bastards did it! The absolute madmen!

This is the best fucking idea Sonic Team could ever implement into their games, the fandom is gonna eat this shit up! Now all those fan characters will be in a canon game!

Shit man, this is hilarious! Sega, you have my respect!

Ferr986

This is just... I don't know, I just don't know how to feel about this. It's just that wrong.

Sucks that PSO2 is basically creepy anime waifus with ultra skimpy outfits now. Between anime waifus and furries Sonic Team is in a really weird places now.

Did you know PSO2 has devolved into loli-pandering nonsense? The last news broadcast's big tease was a bathing scene featuring the highschool-aged protagonists of the current story episode. This is who they are now.

This, because the F2P nature they embraced the sector of players that threw more money : otaku creeps.

But this IS Generations 2 plus a char creator.

I just hope it's optional. If it's an optional character then fine. But if it's a forced character fuck it. I don't want to have to use it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom