• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Oh man I keep dying to the bosses at the end of act 2

and it sends me to the beginning of act 1

remember when games punished you for dying?

GOTY

That sounds like a glitch. Going that far back adds no value to any game. Death in games is is such an arbitrary thing and just wastes time

FSLink

Banned
That sounds like a glitch. Going that far back adds no value to any game. Death in games is is such an arbitrary thing and just wastes time

Lmao it is not a glitch. I already got a few Game Overs and it was 100% my fault since I was going too fast and ran into stuff. Definitely saw a lot of opportunities for more rings and 1ups if you take time to explore.

EDIT: To clarify, if you die you're sent back to the last checkpoint, but if you Game Over in Act 2, you're sent back to the start of Act 1.

Lmao it is not a glitch. I already got a few Game Overs and it was 100% my fault since I was going too fast and ran into stuff. Definitely saw a lot of opportunities for more rings and 1ups if you take time to explore.

EDIT: To clarify, if you die you're sent back to the last checkpoint, but if you Game Over in Act 2, you're sent back to the start of Act 1.
Ah, that makes sense.

so all ps4/xb1/switch versions run the same correct? thinking about getting this for NSW
I believe so.

That..sounds like a pain. Already not good at these games this is making me not wanna buy it

Jesus thank you for the clarification. That's nothing new and makes sense. I thought he literally meant lose a life, start all over.

ma·ni·a
ˈmānēə/
noun
mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria, delusions, and overactivity.
synonyms: madness, derangement, dementia, insanity, lunacy, psychosis, mental illness;

But if you game over it sends you back to act 1 of the world you're on, or does it send you to 1-1?

If it's just the world you're on that's super forgiving

jobrro

Extra lives are very easy to come by if you're exploring levels. Game Overs shouldn't be common unless you're blazing through or get walled by a boss.

Indeed. I am not very good at these games and just finished the last stage (with only 2 Chaos Emeralds though lol). I only got 3 Game Overs, one was intentional because I didn't want to start a zone with only one life.

Tails helps a lot in the bosses for extra hits and recollecting rings.

Only died on one boss multiple times (mid to late game spoiler)
Oil Ocean Zone Act 2
because Tails was so helpful. Other bosses I either didn't die or only once.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Came home from work at like 4pm and went right to sleep! Just woke up and ready for a full night and day of Mania!!!

CiNozzo

Neo Member
Finished first playthrough with two emeralds.
This game is amaaaaazing.

Anyone know what I should do to unlock the "????" in extras ?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I literally didn't sleep last night.

Considering staying up for midnight launch anyway.

ma·ni·a
ˈmānēə/
noun
mental illness marked by periods of great excitement, euphoria, delusions, and overactivity.
synonyms: madness, derangement, dementia, insanity, lunacy, psychosis, mental illness;

Feels apropos right now.

Can't wait to download it in less than an hour. My hype went up a lot after the reviews.

The home screen icon kind of reminds me of the Snake Pass icon though lol

tsumineko

I'm having some problems with the boss as the end of Chemical Plant Zone...

I play the round of Mean Bean Machine, Robotnik blows up, and then Sonic just falls to his death. No matter what I do, Sonic just falls and dies. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

edit: I'll clarify I'm playing on Switch.

I play the round of Mean Bean Machine, Robotnik blows up, and then Sonic just falls to his death. No matter what I do, Sonic just falls and dies. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Sounds like a bug to me.

KingBroly

Banned

Do you have
The Fire Shield on?

ckaneo

Sounds like a bug.delete and redownload maybe since its a small game and only you seem to have that problem

Dremorak

Banned
FYI its out now on the NZ eshop and for once in our long and storied history of getting boned by prices, its about $1.50 usd cheaper on the NZ eshop vs the US eshop :D

FSLink

Banned
But if you game over it sends you back to act 1 of the world you're on, or does it send you to 1-1?

If it's just the world you're on that's super forgiving

Beginning of the world you're on. It also auto saves at the beginning of Act 1, so if you turn off the game or exit the game at Act 2, you'll have to play Act 1 again.

Demoskinos

If there is no stakes then whats the point? If its obvious I'm coming to a game for a narrative experience like recent example Hellblade that's one thing but if you're there for the gameplay then challenge is a must. Too many games just hand out participation trophies IMO.

Top Bottom