• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

sleepnaught

Torn between getting the game as soon as it releases on the eStore or getting the collectors edition for a discount on Amazon. Ugh.... I know I dont need that stupid piece of plastic, but I just cant help myself sometimes...but then I'd have to wait til Thursday to play...:(

bman94

I'll give it a few...if it doesn't pop up at 12:10, I'll get a taste of it tomorrow and gwt the full experience on Thursday since I literally will have no time to play it on Wednesday.

luchadork

is there a tutorial or something? as someone who's never played a sonic game, its fucking confusing as hell. half the time i feel like i'm not controlling sonic, i'm just watching him. and theres a flying squirrel that sometimes attacks and helps. but i dont know how to control him. am i supposed to just go from one side to the other as quick as possible? or do i explore?

VeeP

is there a tutorial or something? as someone who's never played a sonic game, its fucking confusing as hell. half the time i feel like i'm not controlling sonic, i'm just watching him. and theres a flying squirrel that sometimes attacks and helps. but i dont know how to control him. am i supposed to just go from one side to the other as quick as possible? or do i explore?

No tutorial. Go experiment. You wanna go fast, go fast. You wanna explore, explore. Main goal is to reach the end of the stage, which will be all the way to the right. Flying squirrel is called Tails, he's your buddy. If you have an extra controller you can play two players with tails.

https://mobile.twitter.com/egoraptor/status/897297948454690816

Egoraptor said:
I had fun playing Sonic Mania there I said it

How's that for a celebrity endorsement?

DHPZxafVYAEgUPS

Dude Guy

I'm crying lmao

RK128

I hope you are just joking....

If you AREN'T joking and are being serious, Sonic works like this. You have the ability to curl up in a ball (pressing down on the D-Pad/Analog Stick when moving), which builds up speed when going down inclines. You can also spin-dash (down + mashing jump) or drop-dash (jump + holding jump button down when in the air) to get a burst of speed.

It's like a normal 2D platformer, with rings being your 'health'. You cannot die as long as you hold on to ONE ring. The more rings you have though, the more benefits they offer. Chances at Bonus Stages (to unlock goodies in the Extra's menu upon completing them) too getting extra lives upon collecting 100; they are useful.

One side mission is to explore each act to find a huge golden ring. This sends you into a special stage, where you chase an UFO holding a fabled Chaos Emerald. The more orbs you collect, the faster you run. The more rings you collect in these stages, the longer your timer lasts. Catching up to the UFO grants you the emerald, with their being seven to collect.

Normal stages blend speed and platforming, having high/low/forward paths to take. Each offers various rewards, making replay value high.

I caved. Pre-ordered digitally to play this a little on PS4 before I go to bed. Will have another copy of the game to unload somehow later this week when the collector's edition arrives.

Was this him?

latest

RockmanBN

Arin. Is that you?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Nintendo stays losing
but not as much as pc

Owari

My fuckin PS4 CE is coming tomorrow otherwise I'd get it on psn

Fuck maybe I'll just sell that code tomorrow lol whatsver

Top Bottom