• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

jobrro

I'm not saying it ruins the game by any means. I just hoped for more from that fight after hearing about it for a while now.
Edit:
I remember hearing that mean bean machine was in the game in some form for weeks now. That wasn't supposed to be a surprise was it?

I am not sure, I tried to go in somewhat blind so I was completely surprised by it.

ryan13ts

Yes you can basically gather all emeralds in green hill zone if you want.

I doubt I could get them all there, but that's extremely relieving to know. I already have 4 of them, just didn't like the idea of still not being able to get them all potentially in a second playthrough (My OCD would probably kill me at that point).

Thanks for the info!

-GJ-

Had an issue on the Chemical Plant Zone part 2 boss (Switch/handheld). After I defeated the boss, I couldn't go anywhere. I jumped to the part where you had to jump to to be sent to the upper part of the level, but nothing happened. After trying different things and some button mashing, none of the buttons did anything anymore (felt like the game locked on me, but the music was still playing), so I put the Switch in sleepmode (which took like 3 presses on the power button), after which I looked up what I had to do next to finish the stage. Turns out I was standing in the right spot and the level had to shoot me upwards, which it didn't do. So I turned on the Switch again and I only saw a screen full of tiles from the level. The music still played though. This time even the menu button didn't do anything. I wanted to record it with my phone, but just when I booted up the camera on my phone, Sonic shot through the whole level, to the correct spot where I could finish the stage.

I have no idea what happened here. I managed to shoot a very small clip of me shooting through the stage. Click! (Spoiler-free). You can see in the first second of the video that I fell through the level, next to the tube that's supposed to bring me to the exit, and the game moved me a couple frames to the right to push me into the tube.

jobrro

I doubt I could get them all there, but that's extremely relieving to know. I already have 4 of them, just didn't like the idea of still not being able to get them all potentially in a second playthrough (My OCD would probably kill me at that point).

Thanks for the info!

You can. All from the same giant ring after you clear the game. Just exit and select the zone again.

Falk

that puzzling face
I doubt I could get them all there, but that's extremely relieving to know. I already have 4 of them, just didn't like the idea of still not being able to get them all potentially in a second playthrough. Thanks for the info!

Nah, you literally can - after you turn your data into a CLEARED data, you can select GHZ, make a beeline to a giant ring, attempt the special stage, then exit regardless of whether you nab the emerald, repeat.

Mark1

These games are gonna keep getting made. As they're so much damn fun. Finished the story (without Emeralds) but have so much of a desire to just go back again and again. So many hidden secrets to find.

Oreiller

Just finished the game. It was damn fantastic but I didn't really enjoy that last zone all that much. Anyway, gotta get all chaos emeralds now.

muteki

I was spoiled by a youtube preview, but boss 2 is the most amazing thing ever. I'm up to the fourth level now actually, and every boss and mini-boss so far has been a delight.

I have unfortunately not played past Green Hill Zone, but I haven't noticed any issues in either handheld or docked modes.

I really wanted to play more, but I committed to playing 1-3&K before getting deep into it and only got through 1, 2, and about a third into 3&K before I had to hang it up last night.

Wait, how are you playing 3&K???

After playing the PS4 version for 5 mins, I've decided to triple dip on this and getting the Steam and Switch version as well, this is just too good, after all the years of mediocre Sonic games, SEGA finally gives us a Sonic game that's worthy of standing next to the original 2D series from back in the 90's.

What I don't get is, they finally release a decent Sonic game but there's no physical version, they're leaving money on the table here! if Sega ever gets around to releasing physical copies I'd double dip on a PS4 and Switch copy too!

Branduil

I did think the boss for act 1 of
Oil Ocean Zone
was a bit cheap.
It's an insta-kill attack that you have no way of knowing how to avoid the first time...

Berordn

I was spoiled by a youtube preview, but boss 2 is the most amazing thing ever. I'm up to the fourth level now actually, and every boss and mini-boss so far has been a delight.

Only about halfway through and I have to agree strongly. There's a couple of misses but then you get things like Studiopolis's Act 2 where the boss isn't anything particularly special, but the theming of it is fantastic and that makes all the difference.

WatTsu

Only had a chance to play the first level, but it's already the best Sonic game in years. I'm really bad at the special stages so far though. I used to be good. Stupid entropy.

Finally got to boot it up and oh man. The nostalgia feels I'm getting are the strongest I've ever felt! Fantastic opening to the game so far.

I love that they added some screen filters!

It's really weird to see "in association with sega" on a sonic game!

Tarin02543

These games are gonna keep getting made. As they're so much damn fun. Finished the story (without Emeralds) but have so much of a desire to just go back again and again. So many hidden secrets to find.

I'm secretly hoping for a 2D renaissance.

I have no idea whether to get this on Switch or PS4.

I have a Pro Controller on the Switch and haven't really played any games that could show me if the d-pad was bad. Worried that if I play Sonic with it, it may end up being bad, but I have no way of knowing unless I play it.

How is it on Switch Pro Controller?

If you look up and jump Tails will fly and you can hang on to him.
If you jump and press jump again and hold it you're charging your ball form.

Any other secret control stuff i don't know? You can't target enemies and dash right into them like in the awful Sonic 4 right?

jman2050

Only got 4 emeralds my first playthrough, will probably finish collecting those and then go through it as Knuckles again.

End of game spoilers:
Titanic Monarch might be my new favorite Sonic zone of all time. The gimmicks and level design are downright insanity from beginning to end.

muteki

I have no idea whether to get this on Switch or PS4.

I have a Pro Controller on the Switch and haven't really played any games that could show me if the d-pad was bad. Worried that if I play Sonic with it, it may end up being bad, but I have no way of knowing unless I play it.

How is it on Switch Pro Controller?

It plays really well using the joycons. Much better than I anticipated. Portability and the performance being the same across all platforms made getting it on the Switch a easy decision for me.

If you look up and jump Tails will fly and you can hang on to him.
If you jump and press jump again and hold it you're charging your ball form.

Any other secret control stuff i don't know? You can't target enemies and dash right into them like in the awful Sonic 4 right?

What is a Sonic 4?

Unknown?

Anyone try to shareplay this yet? Does it allow you to play 2 player with someone online? Or did they block that feature?

Dartastic

Even though I WANT to save this game for my flight to Japan, I just played through the first Zone.

Goddamn, they did it, didn't they? They finally did it. They made what fans of the old games wanted and it's AWESOME.

Berordn

I heard someone say they got all the Emeralds on Act 1, how?

I don't think it's possible on the first playthrough, but after you have a completed save the rings will respawn every time you load the save.

Chances are there's enough large rings to let you get them all by the end of Zone 1 if you play perfectly in Act 1 and 2.

VanWinkle

Bought.

fz2VywU.jpg

So, Sonic fans, can you help me understand this series? I'm a huge platformer fan, and I used to love Sonic as a kid, but I'm having more trouble getting into it lately.

The main two things I'm wondering how to approach are the paths and the rings. Why are there so many paths, and is there an ideal one I should take, or should I just take whichever I want? And rings, you just lose them so fast. Should I be going for rings to the same extent that I go for coins in Mario? ie trying to get everything I can?

It plays really well using the joycons. Much better than I anticipated. Portability and the performance being the same across all platforms made getting it on the Switch a easy decision for me.
Not going to really play on Joycons unless playing portably (I don't do that often). They're too small for me.

Was wondering how the game is on the Switch Pro Controller.

Aki-at

Do the giant rings respawn infinitely after you beat the game (As in you mess up, you can restart and use the same ring again)? If not, this game will drive me absolutely mad trying to get the emeralds. I already don't like the fact you can only use the ring once and reloading doesn't respawn it on the first playthrough, if it's that way even after beating the game.... ugh.

Actually.

If you exit to the main menu then yes, the giant rings won't respawn, however if you exit to the title screen and start the game up, the giant ring will be back waiting for you.

So hurry and exploit that before they patch it out :p

Berordn

The main two things I'm wondering how to approach are the paths and the rings. Why are there so many paths, and is there an ideal one I should take, or should I just take whichever I want? And rings, you just lose them so fast. Should I be going for rings to the same extent that I go for coins in Mario? ie trying to get everything I can?

Finding the best path through the course is part of the discovery. As a general rule, higher up routes will be more rewarding, but much harder to stay on.

Rings will give you 1-ups and holding a certain number of them will activate the bonus stages at checkpoints, but you really only need one for staying alive. Collecting a bunch is just for the score bonus at the end, really.

Unknown?

There's no online play, only leaderboards for the time trials

I know this but shareplaying allows you to play with a buddy online if a game has local co-op. Heck it even lets someone play it singleplayer. Rayman Legends did this, if you shareplayed with someone you both could play 2 player.

The fifth zone is beautiful and the music is gorgeous.

The boss of the sixth zone went on a bit too long, but it was still a really cool fight.

Bought.

fz2VywU.jpg

So, Sonic fans, can you help me understand this series? I'm a huge platformer fan, and I used to love Sonic as a kid, but I'm having more trouble getting into it lately.

Having Rings is good. Having at least 1 keeps you from dying. Having 50 when you go through a checkpoint lets you go to one of the Blue Sphere special stages. Getting 100 scores you an extra life.

As far as the various paths, there's never really a more correct or less correct one, aside from the fact that you'll need to seek out the special stages. Just different paths. If you want to take the time to explore and investigate a few of them within your time limit, go for it. If you want to leave them for subsequent playthroughs, that's cool too.

These are not tremendously complicated games. Play in whatever fashion is most fun for you.

at some point i confused sonic forces and sonic mania..
soo basically sonic mania is just the classic take on sonic gameplay with some revamped graphic? or i'm missing something?
nothing wrong, it's quite justified by the price actually :L

-shadow-

The game looks, plays and sound terrific. Only only one things, what the hell is with the large input delay with the home button on the Switch? It takes a good three to four second for it to pop up. No game had done this so far: Zelda, Splatoon 2, Puyo Puyo and what else I have it pops up the second I press it...

Top Bottom