• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

at some point i confused sonic forces and sonic mania..
soo basically sonic mania is just the classic take on sonic gameplay with some revamped graphic? or i'm missing something?
nothing wrong, it's quite justified by the price actually :L

It's a new old Sonic game. It's the real Sonic 4.

devonodev

It plays really well using the joycons. Much better than I anticipated. Portability and the performance being the same across all platforms made getting it on the Switch a easy decision for me.
Played both competitive, and Sonic/Tails multiplayer on tabletop mode with joycons, 10/10 those Sega commercials from the 90s would hate me.

Having Rings is good. Having at least 1 keeps you from dying. Having 50 when you go through a checkpoint lets you go to one of the Blue Sphere special stages. Getting 100 scores you an extra life.

As far as the various paths, there's never really a more correct or less correct one, aside from the fact that you'll need to seek out the special stages. Just different paths. If you want to take the time to explore and investigate a few of them within your time limit, go for it. If you want to leave them for subsequent playthroughs, that's cool too.

These are not tremendously complicated games. Play in whatever fashion is most fun for you.

Pretty sure you only need 30 in Mania.

MetalSlug

I really, really dislike Sonic CD.
Not much of a fan of it being in Mania.

I really, really hate the boss(Metal Sonic) in Mania as well. It's difficult, but not because it's hard. It is just a pain try to hit him with that stupid other Sonic in the air.

EDIT : 2 game over screens on this part... Ther worst thing is having to go through that terrible zone again :(

Hmmm that Chemical Plant Zone boss fight. Not a fan.

]I most certainly prefer tetris to Puyo Puyo. The problem is the colors are too similar. The yellows and greens are too similar and the blues and purples are too similar

Its messing me up

VanWinkle

Finding the best path through the course is part of the discovery. As a general rule, higher up routes will be more rewarding, but much harder to stay on.

Rings will give you 1-ups and holding a certain number of them will activate the bonus stages at checkpoints, but you really only need one for staying alive. Collecting a bunch is just for the score bonus at the end, really.

Having Rings is good. Having at least 1 keeps you from dying. Having 50 when you go through a checkpoint lets you go to one of the Blue Sphere special stages. Getting 100 scores you an extra life.

As far as the various paths, there's never really a more correct or less correct one, aside from the fact that you'll need to seek out the special stages. Just different paths. If you want to take the time to explore and investigate a few of them within your time limit, go for it. If you want to leave them for subsequent playthroughs, that's cool too.

These are not tremendously complicated games. Play in whatever fashion is most fun for you.
Perfect. Thanks, guys.

Nerazar

at some point i confused sonic forces and sonic mania..
soo basically sonic mania is just the classic take on sonic gameplay with some revamped graphic? or i'm missing something?
nothing wrong, it's quite justified by the price actually :L

It builds on the classic formula and adds a lot of things, including gameplay, stages and music etc. It is a fantastic experience so far and it instantly bumped any 2D Mario down on my list. :)

Is the "co-op" in this fleshed out any further from the original games? My experience in those is that Player 2 would spend the vast majority of their time failing to stay on the screen.

Kinsei

Banned
I've just finished Studiopolis. The levels are really, really fun but the bosses are pretty bad. In particular the ones in Studiopolis.

I'm surprised I haven't found a special stage yet. It's not like I'm looking for them or anything but I figured I would have stumbled upon one by now.

OMG.. I cant believe that did that for the Chemical Plant Zone boss.

I dont wanna even spoil here in the text. Its something I did not expect them to remember or use.

I love it as I am pretty fond of that. If they remembered that I wonder if they will remember the other thing sonic did during the Genesis Era.

dafodeu

Waiting on Amazon delivery. Can't wait. Been waiting for this for so long. Got excited for Sonic 4 years ago and that didn't live up to the hype but reading all the reviews looks like this one has lived up to the hype and I won't be disappointed.

Poona

Just finished the Chemical Zone boss fight.

I did not expect to play a Puyo Puyo game (Mean Bean) machine in the game!!!

Yeah, was totally shocked how I tumbled into that.

I'm noticing quite a few refer to it as
Puyo Puyo
too, which it pretty much is but I'm pretty sure the only reason for its inclusion is due to
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

NAPK1NS

Loving this till that boss fight you're all gushing over. I'm color blind and can't win this for my life. Are there two kinds of blues? These stupid globs don't congeal even when it looks like they should fml.

(fourth zone)
The rain and wind
are so cool in that zone.

That has definitely a callback to
Sky High Zone in the 8-bit version of Sonic 2
. Especially considering the pull they make later.

I did think the boss for act 1 of
Oil Ocean Zone
was a bit cheap.
It's an insta-kill attack that you have no way of knowing how to avoid the first time...

"This has to be the easiest boss fight in-" *dies*

nC0mgPJ.gif

Jazzem

Yeah, was totally shocked how I tumbled into that.

I'm noticing quite a few refer to it as
Puyo Puyo
too, which it pretty much is but I'm pretty sure the only reason for its inclusion is due to
Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

Oh undoubtedly, though I'm sure they couldn't have done the reference without Sega owning the rights to Puyo Puyo

Related, I loved the remix of this tune: spoiler link 1. That tune was also in the original Puyo Puyo: spoiler link 2

KodaRuss

Loving this game on my Switch. Played the first two levels and got to the chemical plant before I stopped. Love the music and this game is just a blast to play.

-shadow-

The fight with the
helicopter
is some grade a bullshit.
So I'm supposed to jump the red missiles to avoid them and onto the blue one to damage Eggman. Well fine, but the moment I jump Sonic suddenly stops moving forward and stays in place instead of moving forward.

I lucked out twice on the first round, but couldn't get the second even once...

Shiggy

Also posting this here:
Sonic Mania is available for 699 RUB on the Russian eShop. That's not even 10 EUR (compared to 19.99 EUR on the German eShop).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hope someone can help - I'm in the UK, earlier in the thread someone suggested changing your PSN region from UK to Russia to get a cheaper deal on this. Would that still work if I have PS+ on my account?

Edit: Ha, recommended above. What's the process for changing to the RU region?

lionpants

Bought yesterday night for PS4 due to hype, played the first level.

Now today I wish I had got the Switch version. :(

PSN Support wont refund me the money even though I have never asked for a refund and only played the game briefly. I really don't want to buy the game twice.

Loz246789

Loving this till that boss fight you're all gushing over. I'm color blind and can't win this for my life. Are there two kinds of blues? These stupid globs don't congeal even when it looks like they should fml.

There are blues and purples, yeah. If it helps, until they congeal, they're actually slightly different shapes, so if you can't tell the difference between the colours, blues are slightly more like tear drops, and purples are a bit more bloby.

-GJ-

Had an issue on the Chemical Plant Zone part 2 boss (Switch/handheld). After I defeated the boss, I couldn't go anywhere. I jumped to the part where you had to jump to to be sent to the upper part of the level, but nothing happened. After trying different things and some button mashing, none of the buttons did anything anymore (felt like the game locked on me, but the music was still playing), so I put the Switch in sleepmode (which took like 3 presses on the power button), after which I looked up what I had to do next to finish the stage. Turns out I was standing in the right spot and the level had to shoot me upwards, which it didn't do. So I turned on the Switch again and I only saw a screen full of tiles from the level. The music still played though. This time even the menu button didn't do anything. I wanted to record it with my phone, but just when I booted up the camera on my phone, Sonic shot through the whole level, to the correct spot where I could finish the stage.

I have no idea what happened here. I managed to shoot a very small clip of me shooting through the stage. Click! (Spoiler-free). You can see in the first second of the video that I fell through the level, next to the tube that's supposed to bring me to the exit, and the game moved me a couple frames to the right to push me into the tube.

So uhh, I beat the chemical plant boss, the timer stopped, but I'm "stuck" inside the machine. Any ideas?

Looks like you hit the same bug as me. Just spamming the shit out of the buttons seemed to fix it for me.

Griss

Regarding the S3&K 'blue orbs' stages: It's strange that they're universal across all save files. I have 4 gold medals, 4 silver medals and a couple of fails right now. When I get to the end of the rotation of these levels will it go back to the start or will it skip levels I've already got the gold in?

It would be seriously tiresome to have to do all the ones I've already perfected all over again.

Also, don't imagine Hodor from Game of Thrones saying 'Hodor' every time you pick up an orb or the stages will quickly become unbearable.

The lack of a proper Dpad on the joycons and the Pro Controller's shitty Dpad makes me want to by this game on PS4.

Seriously, Nintendo really dropped the ball on their Dpad's this time around. I'll never want to buy a Dpad centric game for the Switch because of this.

Top Bottom