• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

Peltz

Also I must've missed something but what are the coins I'm collecting from the blue spheres? Is it just for fun

I'll do em regardless but I wasn't sure

You need all of the coins for a "perfect" clear. If you leave any potential coins remaining you only get a silver medal instead of a gold.

Seik

Banned
I'm now in
Flying Battery

If I would be the kind of guy that could have a gaming boner, now would be an ideal time. :lol

Level design is top notch, OST is on point, everything is done right.

Also, that Chemical Plant Act 2 Boss, they fucking dared AND I DIG THAT!

The Cowboy

I usually switch region on my Switch when buying games to get them cheaper, with this I bought it full price in the UK - it totally deserves full price.

Never thought I would say this (after a the bad games), but this new game is the best Sonic game ever made.

I think the price is so good, I'll be buying it on PC as well.

Paths:

Rings:
Others have said this already, but you need at least one to take a hit from an enemy or hazard, 50 to access a special stage (needed for 100% completion), and 100 to get an extra life. So it's beneficial to get as many as you can, but sometimes risky or difficult to do so, just like in Mario.
From my experience it looked like I only needed 30 rings after hitting a checkpoint to access the "collect all the blue balls" special stage. Is it just the "catch the UFO" special stage that needs 50?

DylanEno

As someone who grew up on genesis sonic and felt rejuvenated whenever I got a chance to play a Mario game BUT adores the first sonic advance game... Is Mania worth it? The game looks flashy and fun but idk if it'll satisfy any sort of platformer itch I have, especially if it's designed similarly to the first sonic game.

So it looks like from a few posts in this thread that the Xbox One version has a few performance issues. Have there been any such issues with the PS4 or Switch version?

I don't have a Switch yet, and I was planning on holding off on getting Sonic Mania until I get one sometime this fall. Then I'd have another game to play on it. However, if there are performance problems on Switch and the PS4 version runs fine, then I'd rather just jump in and get it for PS4.

Branduil

So it looks like from a few posts in this thread that the Xbox One version has a few performance issues. Have there been any such issues with the PS4 or Switch version?

I don't have a Switch yet, and I was planning on holding off on getting Sonic Mania until I get one sometime this fall. Then I'd have another game to play on it. However, if there are performance problems on Switch and the PS4 version runs fine, then I'd rather just jump in and get it for PS4.

Switch version played fine for me in docked mode.

There have been reports of the Switch having OS issues where Snapshots/Home Menu are delayed, but otherwise I haven't heard anything bad about Switch or PS4 performance gameplay-wise.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Yeah---the bosses in this game are the worst part.

I mean visually they're pretty cool, but a lot of them seem very unintuitive---like in the old Sonic games I felt you always knew like right away how to beat a boss, here I've found myself a bit confused when I stumble upon a boss. Seems I'm not alone since I see a bunch of "how do I beat X boss" posts.

Like Green Hill Act 2's boss is confusing. You go to hit its head, sometimes it works, sometimes you're bounced off, and sometimes you end up behind him? It's just messy.

Ok, how the fuck do i beat the boss of
titan monarch zone Act 1

i just can't find any room to touch him, all he does is
having his balls turn around him, up and down, and if i try to touch it, i'll always get hit by the balls!
Any idea?

nowarning

Ok, how the fuck do i beat the boss of
titan monarch zone Act 1

i just can't find any room to touch him, all he does is
having his balls turn around him, up and down, and if i try to touch it, i'll always get hit by the balls!
Any idea?

Jump at the eye when the balls are down and tight together (lol)

Played more of this during lunch, up to Flying Battery Zone.

Holy fucking shit. This game is good. Like... "best 2D platformer in a number of years" good.

Sonic, buddy, I didn't know you still had this in ya.

Cruxist

Snuck in Emerald Hill Zone during my lunch break on Switch. Feels good to go fast again, as Sonichu intended.

Seriously, the controls feel right, and the split d-pad is actually really nice to play with. Can't wait to take it home and try the Joy-cons in the cradle. I'm still terrible at the 3D red/blue orb stages though.

Tubie

Playing this on the Switch reminds me of really young me playing Sonic on my Game Gear.

Nostalgia aside, the game is great!

MetalSlug

Found 3 invincibility boxes in a row on stardust speedway zone 1, and the invincibility theme just kept repeating itself for the rest of the Zone.

I wasn't invincible though :(

VanWinkle

Man, the art style is insanely faithful, haha. (game on the vita is Sonic 2).

DeW9tUN.jpg

Paths:
There's usually at least a high path and a low path. High paths are usually less treacherous with extra rewards but relatively hard to get to and relatively easy to fall from. There's stuff hidden all over the place, so there's no hard and fast rule about which way is best. Unlike Mario games, Sonic games aren't really designed to give you the opportunity to explore everything, so it's all about trying to get the ideal performance out of each run.

Rings:
Others have said this already, but you need at least one to take a hit from an enemy or hazard, 50 to access a special stage (needed for 100% completion), and 100 to get an extra life. So it's beneficial to get as many as you can, but sometimes risky or difficult to do so, just like in Mario.

Thanks for that info, man. Appreciate it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Holy shit at
& Knuckles mode! Just tried it out. Knuckles & Knuckles is now possible. I REPEAT. WE CAN FINALLY PLAY KNUCKLES & KNUCKLES.
This game. Good lord this game.

Chucker

Yikes. I've (only?) gotten as far as the flying battery stage, but the achievement notification hiccup is still the only one I've seen. The performance issues in your clips look rough; I wonder what's going on and why I'm not getting them.

Yeah, it's wild.
Some notes: Nothing downloading. Occur on both internal and external drive. Happens with filters, or no filters. Happened right after downloading, and after a full power down with restart. Oh, and it's a standard xbox, with Kinect plugged in.

So, yeah. Was so pumped to dive in after playing it for a while at the Switch Event in February, but I guess I picked the wrong platform.

Edit: I guess I'll factory reset my box, it's been gathering stuff for like 4 years, saves are in the cloud so that's no big deal. That might help.

Berordn

So is it worth getting in the Switch?

Also just had a look see and the review for the CE are pretty bad on Amazon

That's just people review bombing because of the shipping issues. The game is fine on PS4 and Switch both, but apparently Xbone has some stuttering.

Yeah, it's wild.
Some notes: Nothing downloading. Occur on both internal and external drive. Happens with filters, or no filters. Happened right after downloading, and after a full power down with restart. Oh, and it's a standard xbox, with Kinect plugged in.

So, yeah. Was so pumped to dive in after playing it for a while at the Switch Event in February, but I guess I picked the wrong platform.
I played up to STZ and had no performance problems, even with achievements - it's been running great but that boss is kicking my ass. OG Xbox One, external, powered by the wall not the console and on the Beta dashboard.

def sim

Yeah, it's wild.

I'm on the S and in the alpha ring of the preview program. Installed on the internal drive.

Here's a clip of me playing a bonus stage for comparison: http://xboxclips.com/default+rance/26003b2c-bf4a-4075-bdc9-fdc001edede1

Can't recommend this version until the reason for such a large performance difference is figured out and fixed.

Chucker

I played up to STZ and had no performance problems, even with achievements - it's been running great but that boss is kicking my ass. OG Xbox One, external, powered by the wall not the console and on the Beta dashboard.

To you and the others in here with XBO with not as much stuttering. Do you guys have a kinect hooked up?

Top Bottom