• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania |OT| Dreams Come True

fuck... you can do the final zone only with sonic? I fucked myself by playing with knuckles...

yeah it's not that long to redo the game, but it's still frustrating, haha

Zafir

GFNeXMo.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-Mani...e=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&sortBy=recent

Yikes...can any GAFers attest with similar reports?

Mine arrived damaged, and yeah, it's probably not worth the money.

I'm going to try and get a refund.

Did people really pay that much for the CE? I got mine for $43, so I don't really care if it isn't amazing.

Not here yet though

It was significantly more expensive in the UK for some reason.

Sega UK gouging us I guess.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Want to get this but still not sure for which console..I have the PS4, Switch, and XBOX ONE..should I get it on the Switch..seems the switch one is more limited

Limited how?

I'm in the same boat but have ruled out Xbox due to the slowdowns. Just need to decide between PS4 and switch now.

VeeP

So, I hated Chemical Zone growing up. Like, that zone alone made me not want to play Sonic 2. And I was really disappointed it was in this game. But wow, Act 2. The level design, the quirks, the boss battle! So good.

Want to get this but still not sure for which console..I have the PS4, Switch, and XBOX ONE..should I get it on the Switch..seems the switch one is more limited

I have all 3 systems. I chose the Switch version simply because I can play Sonic wherever and whenever. I can play with the same graphics as PS4/X1 docked. 1080p at 60 fps. I can play in my bedroom, during my breaks, etc in handheld mode.

I’d argue the Switch version is the best version to be honest.

Why the fuck did it take them so long to make another good Sonic game.

I can't believe how good this is and it also reminds me how good Sonic 1 and 2 were.

Well the games went downhill on a huge slope after Sonic 3d Blast..which also sucked ( but had a few good tunes ).

But this is amazing!

Limited how?

I'm in the same boat but have ruled out Xbox due to the slowdowns. Just need to decide between PS4 and switch now.

Switch version not available at gamestop or best buy..it is available at amazon though..yeah I wont be getting the XBOX version so its between the PS4 and Switch

I think the element of surprise is a worthwhile avenue to explore in future Sonic games. Being wowed by a 2D Sonic game in 2017 is a really weird and amazing experience.

I think the element of surprise is a worthwhile avenue to explore in future Sonic games. Being wowed by a 2D Sonic game in 2017 is a really weird and amazing experience.

Seriously. The constant feeling of there being something new and surprising around every corner in every single act is amazing.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Switch version not available at gamestop or best buy..it is available at amazon though..yeah I wont be getting the XBOX version so its between the PS4 and Switch

Ah. I plan on just going digital.
The game can't be that large of a file and it definitely won't have a lot of resale imo.

Finished the game. Now to get all of the chaos emeralds. I only came across 2 giant rings my whole first playthrough lol, wasn't really looking for them. You don't really stumble into them in this game like you could in S3&K

Ah. I plan on just going digital.
The game can't be that large of a file and it definitely won't have a lot of resale imo.

I think its only available digitally(comes with a code when you buy it) just seems the switch version is the hardest one to find so figured that would be the best version to go with..as long as it works good on the switch will get it..amazon has it but other stores not available

Got to the credits. That's a video game.

The thing I'm most disappointed about was this could've easily been all original zones, they were some of the best stuff in this game. But the remixes of the old stages made it worthwhile anyway.

I'm just gonna keep playing this on and off now for awhile.

fuck... you can do the final zone only with sonic? I fucked myself by playing with knuckles...

Lol really?

We lose again :'(

I considered doing a canon run with Sonic and Knuckles but I just couldn't bring myself to do it

So I started this game playing as Knuckles. Got to Stardust Speedway, kept failing at the boss. (I know how to beat him now thanks to this thread)

So I stopped there, and started playing as Sonic and Tails. Man the game is so much easier with them. With Knuckles I had two game overs before I stopped, right now I'm just racking up lives.

Granted a good chunk of it is not making the same stupid mistakes I made the first time. But Tails stupid ass AI always gets me out of a bind somehow xD

Pygrus

I wish the blue sphere levels where the chaos emerald levels. I remember them so well. I'm not getting super sonic the first run through.

Labolas

Well, that sucks. I was hoping that wasn't the case. That really sucks. I like Knuckles over Sonic.

Diablos

Played a bit this morning before I had to leave; it has been a while since I was so excited to play a new game.

I don't want to speak too soon but my first impression is that this has to be the best Sonic game since the mid 90's. It's so much fun, it has the classic vibe obviously but it's way more deep with lots of bonus stages and different paths you can take. Honestly it seemed overwhelming at first (in a good way), just because I was so impressed by how in tune this game is with classic Sonic games that we all love, yet it feels so fresh at the same time. I'm really amazed. Can't wait to resume later today.

How are the controls for the Switch in handheld? Can't see any reason as to why they'd be awkward but since it's the only way I play my Switch I figured I'd ask before buying.

Kinsei

Banned
There's a camera glitch in the special stages that makes it impossible to complete them. That sucks since even restarting the level won;t let you retry them.

Fuck the Oil Ocean act 2 boss and it's shitty instant kill glitch. I got two game overs through no fault of my own.

Berordn

The ๖ۜBronx;246200236 said:
How are the controls for the Switch in handheld? Can't see any reason as to why they'd be awkward but since it's the only way I play my Switch I figured I'd ask before buying.

I have no issue with the dpad buttons.

I am a bit miffed that my SFC30 doesn't seem to work in Mania.

Guess Who

Banned
The trick with Perfecting Blue Spheres stages is that, if the last Blue Sphere you pick up is one that would trigger turning a group of spheres into rings, the stage will end before you can get the rings (because it ends the moment you've gotten the last sphere). Save your self at least one stand-alone blue sphere (or a group that can't become rings, like a group of four) to pick up last.

Pygrus

The ๖ۜBronx;246200236 said:

It plays totally fine in handheld mode. The Switch is the best system you can buy the game on.

ckaneo

There's a camera glitch in the special stages that makes it impossible to complete them. That sucks since even restarting the level won;t let you retry them.

Fuck the Oil Ocean act 2 boss and it's shitty instant kill glitch. I got two game overs through no fault of my own.

What system and what is the glitch

Guess Who

Banned
Higher resolution, making this subjective depending on your circumstances:

The "native resolution" of the game is 424x240 no matter what platform you play it on because that's the resolution the pixel art is rendered at. The only place this might make a difference is the CRT filters.

Oh thank god the game keeps the special stages in order and won't move to the next one until you get the chaos emerald. I was going to go insane if I had to try to remember the circuits as they rotated.

kingbean

Told myself I wouldn't buy it because even though I only had a sega growing up I didnt like sonic very much. I thought it was confusing and hard. Never beat one until I was like 20 something.

But I bought mania and I'm enjoying myself.

Top Bottom