• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces partnership w/ KojiPro, New IP, 1st game "console exclusive to PS4"/PC

Gartooth

Hope that this all works out for Kojima and he finally gets to make the games he wanted to make while locked at Konami.

Really smart get by Sony. They've been doing a pretty good job this gen of getting partnerships with popular devs.

Just like he didn't try to get exclusivity on Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Well, Mass Effect is worth trying to get. That would suck if it was exclusive. I want everyone to play Mass Effect. I'm just saying this Kojima deal wouldn't be a big deal for MS. I only say this from a sales perspective. Not a knock on quality. The only deal MS needs to focus on is one with Mistwalker.

devjin

Excellent news!

Fzxot4o.gif

It's a shame it is console exclusive. It was a shame for Tomb Raider and it is a shame for this.

That will go against the group think but there it is.

Montresor

It's not so irrational to keep your XB and just get the bevy of amazing console exclusives and Japanese games the PS4 is securing. 2016 will be a seminal year for PS4 as well.

The superior multiplatform games are just icing.

Why? You have played some great games with the Xbox platform. Having an X1 + PS4 is a pretty fantastic combo. No regrets needed bro.

You're regretting money and time spent on games you enjoyed because of announcements about games that aren't out yet? Sounds like you're getting a PS4 soon anyway. Consider yourself fortunate enough to own both. No need to regret the fun you had with Xbox.

Just enjoy both platforms? You've still had great experiences on your Xbox and will continue to have more in the future I'm sure. Likewise, start to invest in the PlayStation ecosystem and you'll have great fun there, too.

No need for regrets -- it's just video games. Have fun! :)

I assume you've had a good time during those years, so it's not like it's wasted. Get a PS4 if you want it. A lot of people here own more than one console.

You can't let outside influences dictate the fun you're having. There are no regrets. You have a lot of games to look forward to. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with having both platforms in your living room. Just have fun, play games, be merry.

Yeah you guys are right. I'm so fucking passionate about the video games I've played over the last 8 years. Whether it's Braid, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Halo, Splosion Man, Fez or Max Payne 3 or Bioshock or Rock Band, etc... I've had unforgettable moments and I will continue to have that with games like Quantum Break or the next Halo or whatever.

I just feel like staying XB1-only for me is just not possible anymore. There are too many exclusives for me to ignore. And I feel this huge attachment to my gamertag that makes me want to play every game on an Xbox platform but I don't think so anymore.

I'm in Canada and PS4 Uncharted bundle shows up as $430 on bestbuy.ca. I might wait until Boxing Day depending on my itch. And honestly, I'm getting excited because getting a PS4 means I'll finally play Journey, Uncharted, and Last Of Us (I tried Last Of Us on my brother's console but didn't get far). I fucking love quirky indie games like Fez and Braid; Journey is always one game which I never played but always was intrigued by its praise.

Nouzka

Sure, but they could. You said that they couldn´t. That´s wrong, they have the cash.

Just check again what they paid for Minecraft.

Yeah, but I meant that they're games department doesn't have that kind of money to use. That's why I always find it silly that people thought at start of the generation that ever 3rd party game was going to be exclusive (Fifa, Fallout, Mass Effect etc.). Sorry, English isn't my first language, so maybe my point doesn't come across the way I wanted lol.

And yes, they spend lot of money to Minecraft, but I'd say Minecraft is huge brand which Microsoft want to use in other ways than just getting it to Xbox (Windows etc.). That's why IMO it isn't comparable to just buying, for example, Mass Effect exclusively to Xbox One.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yeah you guys are right. I'm so fucking passionate about the video games I've played over the last 8 years. Whether it's Braid, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Halo, Splosion Man, Fez or Max Payne 3 or Bioshock or Rock Band, etc... I've had unforgettable moments and I will continue to have that with games like Quantum Break or the next Halo or whatever.

I just feel like staying XB1-only for me is just not possible anymore. There are too many exclusives for me to ignore. And I feel this huge attachment to my gamertag that makes me want to play every game on an Xbox platform but I don't think so anymore.

I'm in Canada and PS4 Uncharted bundle shows up as $430 on bestbuy.ca. I might wait until Boxing Day depending on my itch. And honestly, I'm getting excited because getting a PS4 means I'll finally play Journey, Uncharted, and Last Of Us (I tried Last Of Us on my brother's console but didn't get far). I fucking love quirky indie games like Fez and Braid; Journey is always one game which I never played but always was intrigued by its praise.
You get to enjoy awesome gaems no matter what but PS4 is obviously a solid lead or companion platform.

Melchiah

Again, I understand why they use it and why it works for them. I just disagree with the use of the term.

They don't seem to be directly competing with PC, and the term "console exclusive" is pretty obvious about the game being available on their system and PC. I don't see what's wrong with the term.

danthefan

i didn't say he had to choose MS, but if it was a competition between sony and ms i guess it's fine. i dont think he'd have a problem getting a funding from somewhere else, he could have a kick starter and people would be throwing money at him.

What's the biggest Kickstarter to date, maybe $7m or so?

Compare that to the MGSV budget for example.

jaypah

Considering the alternatives this is the best outcome. Might suck for some but as far as him being able to make the game that he wants to make this is the only way I see it working.

Jagernaut

Does some people really think Microsoft has some kind of infinite money bag in game department, and can just buy any gaming studio etc. if they just wanted? Reminds me of start of this generation when some people thought Fallout, Fifa, Mass Effect and other games would be Xbox exclusives just because Microsoft has the money to buy them lol.

Microsoft didn't even make a deal with Itagaki and they had a much closer relationship with him than Kojima.

LifEndz

With the way Shenmue III got blasted by some for using KS, could you imagine the vitriol thrown at Sony if we had that happen again?

True, but just to act like Kickstarter is a sure fire way to cover the cost of development is crazy to me....especially for a Kojima game.

Melchiah

Well, Mass Effect is worth trying to get. That would suck if it was exclusive. I want everyone to play Mass Effect. I'm just saying this Kojima deal wouldn't be a big deal for MS. I only say this from a sales perspective. Not a knock on quality. The only deal MS needs to focus on is one with Mistwalker.

Kojima's game isn't a big deal from the sales perspective, but Mistwalker's games are? To my knowledge, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey weren't big blockbusters.

MODEYV3

Banned
I'm just so F'n happy he's back creating games! Lets see how lenient and patient Sony are going to be haha.

Thinking about it, I guess they'll be very patient, look at TLG for god sakes.

(P.s. I'm just hoping they can someone take the Fox Engine away from Konami)

melkier33

I'm a bit confused I thought everyone said Konami owned Kojima Productions, so how is it still Kojima Productions? I haven't slept yet so I might be overlooking something, but it's sadly got me hoping he managed to hold onto the fox engine. (I know...just let me pretend)

GlamFM

Banned
I'm a bit confused I thought everyone said Konami owned Kojima Productions, so how is it still Kojima Productions? I haven't slept yet so I might be overlooking something, but it's sadly got me hoping he managed to hold onto the fox engine. (I know...just let me pretend)

I would assume that Konami can´t secure the rights to his name because it actually is his name.

Awesome news. Great to see someone as legendary and exceptionally talented as Kojima landing on his feet. Sony have just been on fire this generation. It doesn't seem that long ago that Microsoft had the Final Fantasy 13 betrayalton and Kojima tapped Don Mattrick on the back to announce Metal Gear coming to Xbox - and now the Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a timed Sony exclusive and Kojima's next game is exclusive to PlayStation. How times have changed. The speed of the reversal is almost unbelievable.

Looking forward to seeing what he's working on. The new found independence and creative freedom should work wonders. His game will be probably be amazing.

THE-JUV

uncharted PS4 bundle is suppose to be 369.99 at shoppers drug mart this weekend if you can find one

It's a shame it is console exclusive. It was a shame for Tomb Raider and it is a shame for this.

Yeah, it would definitely be nice if this was a fully multiplatform game. Conflating this to the TR fiasco, though, is ridiculous. This is a new studio with no money getting funding for their game so it exists at all, while the TR situation was a risk averse studio taking a deal to lock a game that already existed and had plenty of internal funding away from a vast playerbase that had already been led to believe they'd get to play the game in the name of hedging bets.

And this thread turned out about how I expected.

we will see this game, santa monica, bend, games at e3
and crash as well

Will they even have anything to show by then? 6 months doesn't seem like enough time to get something substantial running since they probably haven't even started yet.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

New studio, new IP. Clearly the same deal with Crystal and TR

notaskwid

Those mistwalker rpgs sold millions on xbox.

Top Bottom