• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2015 Press Conference Dated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But why it went into development hell is important. Did it go there because the game design was busted or did it go there because it was technically far too ambitious for the PS3? From what Sony has said and what we actually saw, it seems to be there because of the PS3 and not because of game design flaws. Although they haven't flatout said that about the PS3, they have said that that the current team was smaller because the focus is simply on re-engineering the game.

One thing I remember is Ueda once being asked if he'd do SotC all over again from a technical standpoint, and he said yeah because he didn't want to compromise on anything they created. I don't think a game with SotC's framerate would've went over too well last gen or obviously this gen no matter how amazing it was. So being able to fix that with a platform shift would be the smartest thing to do.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I think The Last Guardian has languished in development hell for so long not because of any general gameplay mishaps, but because it was far too ambitious for the PS3's tech to handle, just like, to a lesser extent, Shadow of the Colossus was too ambitious for the PS2, hence why its performance suffered so much (although to be honest, it never really hindered my enjoyment of it). The Last Guardian's whole defining feature is how your character is working in conjunction with this giant bird thing, which not only has very complex, unique A.I., but is something that plays such a significant role in the game that its whole being is something that has to be constantly considered and structured around. Such a large creature with a prevalent role will require equally large environments to render. We've seen from previous footage that the game isn't averse to set-pieces, such as clips of the boy running across crumbling bridges and scaling up the griffin which in turn is scaling up a wall that's falling apart. That's grandiose stuff, especially for a team as small as the one that worked on ICO and SotC. The team probably tried for some large degree of time to get it working to an acceptable level on the PS3, and it just wasn't happening. Now they've taken everything they've worked on and ported it over to the PS4, but as we're seeing with many developers right now, creating a current-gen game isn't an easy task in itself either. The last thing Shuhei wants to do is announce The Last Guardian for the second time, and then declare it has been delayed some months or a year later. Imagine the ruckus that would cause. You'd never hear the end of it.

I think when the game is re-revealed, it won't look wholly different to what we're all familiar with by now. It'll have the same general aesthetic that all Team ICO games have adhered to thus far, it'll still be about a boy and a griffin working together to escape a ruinous city or whatever it is, and it'll still feature puzzles, stealth and platforming, all of which, remember, is not just structured around the kid, but a big ass manbearpig animal as well. The main difference is that it'll actually be able to run it all at a frame rate that isn't sub-20 when it comes out.

thuway

I know this is a dumb thing to ask but I would love it if someone could make a file of high quality footage from all the announced Sony exclusives yet to launch. I still cannot find the Gamersyde high quality Rim trailer, or the WiLd trailer. I'm sure this is so much to download.

HarryKS

Square Enix trolling at PSX will live in infamy.

That was the one straw that broke the camel's back.

Never again will things be the same.

thuway

Square Enix trolling at PSX will live in infamy.

That was the one straw that broke the camel's back.

Never again will things be the same.

The same for me. I literally felt disgusted for five minutes after the troll. That + GAF hype just broke me.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. I think The Last Guardian has languished in development hell for so long not because of any general gameplay mishaps, but because it was far too ambitious for the PS3's tech to handle, just like, to a lesser extent, Shadow of the Colossus was too ambitious for the PS2, hence why its performance suffered so much (although to be honest, it never really hindered my enjoyment of it). The Last Guardian's whole defining feature is how your character is working in conjunction with this giant bird thing, which not only has very complex, unique A.I., but is something that plays such a significant role in the game that its whole being is something that has to be constantly considered and structured around. Such a large creature with a prevalent role will require equally large environments to render. We've seen from previous footage that the game isn't averse to set-pieces, such as clips of the boy running across crumbling bridges and scaling up the griffin which in turn is scaling up a wall that's falling apart. That's grandiose stuff, especially for a team as small as the one that worked on ICO and SotC. The team probably tried for some large degree of time to get it working to an acceptable level on the PS3, and it just wasn't happening. Now they've taken everything they've worked on and ported it over to the PS4, but as we're seeing with many developers right now, creating a current-gen game isn't an easy task in itself either. The last thing Shuhei wants to do is announce The Last Guardian for the second time, and then declare it has been delayed some months or a year later. Imagine the ruckus that would cause. You'd never hear the end of it.

I think when the game is re-revealed, it won't look wholly different to what we're all familiar with by now. It'll have the same general aesthetic that all Team ICO games have adhered to thus far, it'll still be about a boy and a griffin working together to escape a ruinous city or whatever it is, and it'll still feature puzzles, stealth and platforming, all of which, remember, is not just structured around the kid, but a big ass manbearpig animal as well. The main difference is that it'll actually be able to run it all at a frame rate that isn't sub-20 when it comes out.

I feel the same. I wonder how far along Ueda's other project is, too.

Is there actually any reason to still be optimistic about TLG? Didn't the director and other key members leave the studio?

Do you have links for any of this? Ueda still working on it as a freelance and only 2 producers have left is what has been reported from what I see.

You do care, because you asked for the receipts...

That's cool.

And for the showmanship of it, I'd be excited to see it unveiled again, in some theatrical fashion. But the reality of the game is something very different to me. Something I care about, something that is important isn't a corporate production. Which is what it's become.

Easily one of the most exciting games last year, for me.

I was upset how derivative it was of their other two titles

This what you said. This is what I want to see the receipts for as I clearly highlighted in that post.

Shin-Ra

Has there been any indication if Guerrilla's Shadow Fall team merged to finish Horizon or started their own project?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
zU3hoVx.gif

Hmmm.

TLG chimera/gryphon?

salromano

I know this is a dumb thing to ask but I would love it if someone could make a file of high quality footage from all the announced Sony exclusives yet to launch. I still cannot find the Gamersyde high quality Rim trailer, or the WiLd trailer. I'm sure this is so much to download.

I'll get you the Rime and Wild trailers, just give me a few.

Holy shit, I totally see a faint outline of Trico's visage!

I see nothing. Can someone outline?

mike4001_

So ....

Do we have a list what (AAA-)studios we can expect and what games (if known) they are working on ?

Don´t wanna read 45 pages ;-)

Almost forgot how eager I am to see more of Michael Ancel's WiLD. Game is very, very exciting for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlBFV9wnt1I

Seraphiel

Banned
Idk, The Order, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne and Ratchet&Clank all had gameplay-less reveals (hell we still haven't seen anything from R&C), i hope it won't be the same for GG's project and whatnot, it would kill my hype :/
Kinda expecting it for L5 title though.

They where not CG, Order was in game as was Uncharted.

You know what I'm incredibly excited to see more of?

WiLD

WiLD_III_thumb.jpg

WILD_Deity_1407930429.jpg

PS4-Exclusive-WiLD-Screenshots-and-trailer-unleashed-3-1024x576.jpg

Ancel's next masterpiece in the making

Yeah it truely has some amazing potential. The team even talked about the world being the size of Europe..!

I don't think we'll see it at E3 though, it's probably still ways off and it seem like a obvious game to show at Paris Games Week.

SentryDown

Yeah it truely has some amazing potential. The team even talked about the world being the size of Europe..!

I don't think we'll see it at E3 though, it's probably still ways off and it seem like a obvious game to show at Paris Games Week.

No way, frenchies aren't even interrested in french productions, PGW is the land of COD/Fifa/AC/FF. Pretty sure it's gonna be E3.

For me the only Sony press conference to live up to the hype was when they revealed the Ps4's price. I doubt they have any megatons planned for this year.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hashimoto has gone dead silent since then.

I wonder if his position has brand director was put in jeopardy with that move lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom