• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

darkwing

console-wars-q2-15.002-640x480.jpg

Dem Ars Technica charts. Analysis: Sony pushes past 50 percent of the worldwide console market

I like Ars, but it seems kinda goofy to make it look like Xbone is one quarter behind in worldwide shipments ("excluding Japan"
lol
).

uh, if you add the WiiU and Xbone bars, won't it be bigger than the PS4 one? but the numbers would be about the same

sounds fishy

pastrami

Holy shit you're right. The difference in the bar lengths is almost the same between the PS4-XBO and XBO-WiiU. That's a very misleading bar chart, but not surprising from our favorite Kyle Orland.

What is even the point of having that bar graph if it isn't going to represent the data accurately? Very disappointing from a site like Arstechnica.

On Demand

Banned
Xbox always does way way way better in Holidays, and considering this Holiday they actually have really big exclusives as compared to last year, I think they will close the gap even more than they did last year.

Depends on PS4's price. They will also have bundles for COD, SW, and i think AC. I don't think MS will have it that easy like last holiday.

Yes but I just don't understand how it is selling so well as compared to the Xbox which IMO is pretty much the same device. I get the whole launch and messaging fiasco but I thought MS has done a better job since that point.

They have done better but it's hard to stop momentum ones it starts. Sony has pretty much done nothing wrong since they announced the PS4. It also has the better hardware and better looking multiplats most of the time (people do talk about this), more sales means more people wanting to buy a PS4. It's just seen as the overall better console i think. It's a combination of things really. The PS brand is very strong WW.

bombshell

Kyle Orland is very bias towards Microsoft. Every article of his has to say something positive about them.

Are you sure?

Wait a minute...

"Analysis: Sony pushes past 50 percent of the worldwide console market"

First paragraph: The good news for Microsoft is that its total share of the worldwide console market hasn't gotten appreciably worse over the last three months.

Why the hell start with talking about Microsoft in an article titled Sony?

ViciousDS

Banned
Are you sure?

Wait a minute...

First paragraph: The good news for Microsoft is that its total share of the worldwide console market hasn't gotten appreciably worse over the last three months.

i spit out my monster......thats funny shit

GeoramA

Depends on PS4's price. They will also have bundles for COD, SW, and i think AC. I don't think MS will have it that easy like last holiday.
Yeah, having a $399 Battlefront bundle will do great, but it probably won't win November.

Sony has to nail the price on these bundles like MS did last year.

Boke1879

Yeah, having a $399 Battlefront bundle will do great, but it probably won't win November.

Sony has to nail the price on these bundles like MS did last year.

But why won't it win November? If anything the battleground will be on Black Friday. I think a SW Bundle in November, front and center for $399 could do very well. Especially alongside COD and any other deals no doubt.

MS could very well "win" the Holiday but I don't think it'll be so clear cut.

Death2494

This should scare the hell out of Microsoft. In what universe does Halo beat COD (bundle-wise)? Star Wars will be a whole other beast.

edit: can't believe I forgot that MGS V bundle.

DieH@rd

Banned
If we base this chart on the 10M of the WiiU, the true scale is:

console-wars-q2-15.001ilse.png

[remade, pixel perfect]

Funny thing is, they only reduced the size of the PS4 bar.....

His explanation last time was something like:

The exclusion of Japan's figures was pretty much the straw that broke the camel's back for me when it comes to my perception of him. I tend to not paint anyone as biased, but it's hard to not see the green shades coming out of his write-ups.

GeoramA

But why won't it win November? If anything the battleground will be on Black Friday. I think a SW Bundle in November, front and center for $399 could do very well. Especially alongside COD and any other deals no doubt.

Just being realistic. Holiday time in the US is when MS actually wakes up and offers some killer deals. XB1 dropping to $299 with a game and gift card wouldn't shock me at all.

Elman

I don't get it, he's not excluding any Japan numbers.

Which, if is that is the case, makes the chart title more confusing.

Why is he excluding Japan numbers anyway? They're some of the most accurate we have.

This is why I lol'd. Japan is no well-spring of PS4 sales, but compared to the Xbone's utterly inconsequential performance in that region, I can see why the author would want to exclude Japan. It makes for a more "fair and balanced" comparison ;)

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me who sees an Ars graph that looks about right?

Edit: Nevermind, was looking at the wrong pic like a fool.

Going into the Holiday season, Sony will likely have a 900k lead over MS in the states. I sorta doubt that MS will beat Sony by that much in November and December. MS will probably have a killer 350 dollar bundle and some sporadic deals at 300, but I expect Sony to cut the price to 350, too.

You guys are misunderstanding the graph. The numbers in the Xbox 360 "uncertain" portion of the bar are labels for the lines in the graph. So so those second two numbers are totals overall, not totals just for Xbox 360. It's an accurate chart.

EDIT: That still makes the Wii U bar disproportionate--I give you that.

You guys are misunderstanding the graph. The numbers in the Xbox 360 "uncertain" portion of the bar are labels for the lines in the graph. So so those second two numbers are totals overall, not totals just for Xbox 360. It's an accurate chart.

EDIT: That still makes the Wii U bar disproportionate--I give you that.

He did the 'exclude Japan' stuff in a previous article.

He didn't do it this time.

DieH@rd

Banned

We are not attacking the numbers and xbone predicion area, that is fine. We are laughing at their "chart".

Their site:

Accurate scale:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are you sure?

Wait a minute...

Why the hell start with talking about Microsoft in an article titled Sony?

Are you serious? For fucks sakes man. /smh

At least this thread just got it's Polygon style spin to discuss now, lol.

The gap* is closing

*Not to scale

uxtkt.gif

blakep267

Just an example. just for example. Last year you could get $329 assassins creed bundle with $50-70 gifts cards that retailers were throwing in. $399 isn't a deal during the holidays

Wasn't there a 399 last of us & GTA5 bundle last year. It sold well but not more than the ac Bundle

DieH@rd

Banned
Both consoles will have lots of bundles and deals during hollidays. It is too early to tell who will offer what and for how much.

We are not attacking the numbers and xbone predicion area, that is fine. We are laughing at their "chart".

Their site:

Accurate scale:

I did one as well using a free graphing service that's a comparison. Pretty much the same thing as your own graph. There is visual discrepancies with the article's graph with its proportions.

ddd.jpg

Crayon

Seeing this ars horseshit makes me want to say something.

I'd like to say that the reporting of users on neogaf has completely replaced games journalism for me. I never visit any of these commercial press sites to discover news anymore. It's less that gaf reports faster and more that gaf reports better. That's to say nothing of the quality of commentary which despite my best efforts to bring it down
;p
is second to none.

Thanks, brothers and sisters. <3 <3

Top Bottom