• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

Toki767

I kind of imagine the Xbox One will hit under $300 in some places on Black Friday after gift cards are put into play.

It looks like Amazon replaced the TLoU bundle with the Batman bundle. They no longer have TLoU bundles in stock.

If the rumoured PS1/2 Classics does indeed come to fruition for PS4, it'd be cool if Sony would do a limited Naughty Dog bundle, with UCC, TLoU and Jak Trilogy before Uncharted 4 comes out.

Gator86

So... HW shipments from last quarter:

PS4 - 3M
Xbone + X360 - 1.4M
3DS - 0.8M
WiiU - 0.5M

We're basically right back to the PS2 gen with Sony killing it and everyone else as an also-ran fighting for scraps. Sony played this gen perfectly.

I appreciate my Xbone but MS is pretty fucked if they're still hoping for anything more than a solid block of holdouts in America.

Nintendo should just be glad Amiibos exist.

They're really crushing the competition.

It's only going to be worse if VR takes off and Morpheus is successful.

Outside of some market changing device popping up, I don't see what could change the current direction of the market.

GeoramA

Despite the PS4 doing surprisingly well, I still expect a price drop to $299 either in September or October. I still think most bundles will be $349, though, while the 500GB standalone will be $299. A 1TB Star Wars Battlefront bundle would do amazing numbers, just based on the hype for Episode VII alone.
Looking at how well the Batman bundle is doing, I doubt we'll see an official price drop now.

Especially this holiday when they can bundle CoD, Assassin's Creed, Destiny, and Battlefront any way they want to.

TomShoe

Banned
I kind of imagine the Xbox One will hit under $300 in some places on Black Friday after gift cards are put into play.

Looking at last year's sales, that's almost a given, since I expect the TR bundle to be pimped out everywhere and then some.

8ad889045f7a3ff0db1e5680.jpg

2 games and a $50 GC for $329. That's basically an Xbox One (Assuming Unity and BF were valued at $60 & $20 respectively) for $200.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
depending on their production volumes and expected sales for Q4, I hope to see some more aggressive offers in the US. In the UK (MS' other big market) Sony have been very competitive, usually matching deals when MS do them. But in the US Sony seem less willing to be flexible. With this holiday in particular having quite a few big hitters from MS, Sony are surely going to lose a couple of months without some decent deals (then following up with a proper price cut in Q1 16)

Especially with the potential of a lot of 360 owners switching and MS bringing BC out at the same time.

Looking at how well the Batman bundle is doing, I doubt we'll see an official price drop now.

Especially this holiday when they can bundle CoD, Assassin's Creed, Destiny, and Battlefront any way they want to.

This is true, but Sony also saw how "aggressive MS" was able to significantly reduce a large sales gap with an extremely concentrated, aggressive holiday promotion, who let's be honest, given MS's success with it last year, everyone's expecting MS to repeat it again.

Regardless of what Sony does, it's fair to assume they'll be more prepared this year at a competitive level, like maybe.... not waiting till Black Friday specifically to have a holiday bundle out.

Should've added "Sony fudged the numbers" to my Bingo...

You should also add, "Hey, it's just my baseless opinion not supported by any data" square. Hmmm that's a little too wordy maybe "Baseless Opinion"? "Hey, it's just my opinion"

Also, is there a free square?

On topic. These numbers are nuts and it's great to see the console market is still going strong.

Also on topic: Zhuge, you have your own logo! Branding those charts and graphs like a pro! Digging them, sir. :) Some gaming marketing or analysis firm needs to pick you up pronto.

depending on their production volumes and expected sales for Q4, I hope to see some more aggressive offers in the US. In the UK (MS' other big market) Sony have been very competitive, usually matching deals when MS do them. But in the US Sony seem less willing to be flexible. With this holiday in particular having quite a few big hitters from MS, Sony are surely going to lose a couple of months without some decent deals (then following up with a proper price cut in Q1 16)

Especially with the potential of a lot of 360 owners switching and MS bringing BC out at the same time.

If they don't price drop or aggressively bundle, we should prepare for XB1 to pass PS4 LTD as possibility, even if PS4 retakes the lead fairly quickly early next year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they don't price drop or aggressively bundle, we should prepare for XB1 to pass PS4 LTD as possibility, even if PS4 retakes the lead fairly quickly early next year.

I think that is an outside chance, but it is possible. XB1 had some strong months during holidays 2014 so if they build on that with Halo etc it is possible. But what is the LTD gap at the moment - <1m?

ethomaz

Banned
I guess the gap will fluctuate but Xbone will never cross PS4 in US even without price cut soon.

Concept17

Not a single price drop. Amazing.

PS3 had it's first drop in what, 8 months? They're in such a great position comparatively.

Yes this is only good news. Maybe we will get the crazy library of games like we did during the PS1/2 era and publishers will take more chances releasing games that they normally wouldn't make.

Hugstable

Banned
wow amazing sales especially now that we are going on 2 years and no price drop! They may do a pricedrop, but they probably don't need to with the amount they are still selling each quarter. congrats!

Yes this is only good news. Maybe we will get the crazy library of games like we did during the PS1/2 era and publishers will take more chances releasing games that they normally wouldn't make.

Look like it's going to that direction

- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
- Shenmue 3
- Persona 5
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- New Vanillaware project
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Yakuza 5
- Trailers in the Sky 2
- The Last Guardian
- Level 5 RPG
- Other announced things
- Dark Souls 3

Hold me duckroll. hold me someone. hold me tight.

Boke1879

I don't think it will either, but it enters the realm of possibility rather than being an outlandish idea.

I can't see MS eating into that gap here in the US until at least late october when Halo releases. I think this holiday it'll be a toss up and to which system sells more in the US

MisterR

Looking at last year's sales, that's almost a given, since I expect the TR bundle to be pimped out everywhere and then some.

2 games and a $50 GC for $329. That's basically an Xbox One (Assuming Unity and BF were valued at $60 & $20 respectively) for $200.

Jesus at the desperation from Microsoft last winter. I had forgotten just what kind of deals you could get.

Piggus

Do investors really care about the Xbox division, one way or another?

They care about making money, and the Xbox division needs to do that if it's going to stick around. I'm not sure that they can achieve that with yearly desperation sales.

Then again who knows what they cost to manufacture at this point. Would be interesting to see an up to date analysis on that.

Despite the PS4 doing surprisingly well, I still expect a price drop to $299 either in September or October. I still think most bundles will be $349, though, while the 500GB standalone will be $299. A 1TB Star Wars Battlefront bundle would do amazing numbers, just based on the hype for Episode VII alone.

I think I'd agree with that. Sony has to do something compelling to compete with Halo 5 this fall. A 1TB battlefront bundle, a $350 Uncharted Collection+another game bundle and a $299 vanilla would be pretty damn compelling. Of course, I already have one. I'll actually be picking up a Wii U for Mario Maker, myself.

I'm also very curious as to whether either console will get a Fallout 4 bundle.

I can't see MS eating into that gap here in the US until at least late october when Halo releases. I think this holiday it'll be a toss up and to which system sells more in the US

You realize how well XB1 sold last November and December, right? It gained huge ground.

Elios83

Price will decide who does better in the US this holiday season.
I think that Microsoft will again drop the price and in November and December their holiday deal will be the 500GB Xbox+Tomb Raider at 299$.
Sony will drop the price as well during the Halo launch week at the Paris event. It will be interesting to see if they'll go conservative for 350$ for the 500GB model and 399$ for 1TB+full priced game or if they will follow what they did with PS2 and PS3 and really go after growth and installed base with a 299$ 500GB base model and 1TB SKU with two games at 399$.

bombshell

I think I'd agree with that. Sony has to do something compelling to compete with Halo 5 this fall. A 1TB battlefront bundle, a $350 Uncharted Collection+another game bundle and a $299 vanilla would be pretty damn compelling. Of course, I already have one. I'll actually be picking up a Wii U for Mario Maker, myself.

I'm also very curious as to whether either console will get a Fallout 4 bundle.

Microsoft has the Fallout 4 marketing.

Sony on the other hand can make Battlefront, Black Ops 3, Ass Creed Syndicate, Metal Gear Solid V bundles.

On Demand

Banned
To be fair its like a 700k+ gap I believe. and I believe the Xbox1 is just a very NA centric console.

770K yes. Should be over 800K this month and back to 1million by October. What Sony does this holiday with price will determine if that extends or goes back down.

Top Bottom