• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

OEM

It has more games , better specs , better mindshare and the PS brand is stronger in other parts of the world .
Sony try to grow other markets also which helps them .

People need to remember even with all of Sony fuck ups last gen they still tie with MS.
Hell the system launch a year and half later in EU .

But at what cost? PS3 offered so much more that 360. For example Bluetooth, wifi, blu-ray. They took hit on every PS3 sold. On top of that, they offered free online service. That lot of profit thrown away to win market share.

Microsoft is bundling games and dropping price but in no way they are bleeding as much money as Sony did during PS3 time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seeing this ars horseshit makes me want to say something.

I'd like to say that the reporting of users on neogaf has completely replaced games journalism for me. I never visit any of these commercial press sites to discover news anymore. It's less that gaf reports faster and more that gaf reports better. That's to say nothing of the quality of commentary which despite my best efforts to bring it down
;p
is second to none.

Thanks, brothers and sisters. <3 <3

I agree with this so much. Especially when we have awesome articles by ZhugeEX (shout-out) and the like.

I never visit other sites unless someone has a link for an article on a game. For news, and analysis, GAF always catches the bias or BS click-baiting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But at what cost? PS3 offered so much more that 360. For example Bluetooth, wifi, blu-ray. They took hit on every PS3 sold. On top of that, they offered free online service. That lot of profit thrown away to win market share.

Microsoft is bundling games and dropping price but in no way they are bleeding as much money as Sony did during PS3 time.

And you forget the RRoD that cost MSFT $1.15 billion. So they were really "no better" last gen financially in the games division.

If all those Japanese developed games launch before the end of 2016 and ps4 doesn't have a least 5-6 million users in Japan I might cry a little. Really hope they get gamers back into consoles, only way to experience some titles Imo. But maybe Asia will replace the smaller console market there who knows, for me though, its almost too good... delicious &#128523;

And you forget the RRoD that cost MSFT $1.15 billion. So they were really "no better" last gen financially in the games division.
MS made money through Live every month and PS3 was losing over 200$ for every console sold in the beginning of the generation. I'd say MS definitely got out of it better than Sony did.

I was talking about units sold more than profit and the system was still expensive .
Right now MS is doing the same thing as Sony last gen ( it not costing them as much ) but only able to keep up in USA and UK.
Every where else there are a non factor no matter what they do .

It just show how strong the PS brand is in other parts of the world .
I wonder how much money they are losing with all the deals they doing .
That is if they losing money .

Here, just for you :D
console-wars-q2-15.000tzuo.png

LOL, thanks xD

pastrami

I did one as well using a free graphing service that's a comparison. Pretty much the same thing.

ddd.jpg

Pretty much the same thing is not a good thing to use when dealing with hard numbers.

Especially for a technical site trying to present an analysis of those numbers to the public.

I don't even understand why the PS4 is selling so well. I think it's a good console but I guess Sony's marketing has done wonders.

xbone is so repellent that people end up buying a PS4 even though they don't really want one?

It couldn't possibly be because Sony have done an excellent job with the console, they've made the game-playing public an offer and a lot of people find that offer compelling enough to buy in - could it really be that simple? Yes, it really could. Imagine that, offering the customer what they want; it could really catch on.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Maybe not the only reason, but one of the main reasons. They sure capitalized hard on that though.
Usually I would say "it's okay, next time your favorite corporation is going to win" but there won't be a next time because the console business is doomed.

Pretty much the same thing is not a good thing to use when dealing with hard numbers.

Especially for a technical site trying to present an analysis of those numbers to the public.

Ah sorry let me clarify. When I said pretty much the same I meant it reffering to the previous poster's graph.

The graphs generated by your run of the mill program vs. the articles's graph shows visual differences which is shoddy graphics work at best.

Edit: I edited my original post for clarification.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Maybe not the only reason, but one of the main reasons. They sure capitalized hard on that though.

Yes, if you want, you can put "Maybe not the only reason, but one of the main reasons. They sure capitalized hard on that though" in another square and they can be linked together.

I agree with this so much. Especially when we have awesome articles by ZhugeEX (shout-out) and the like.

I never visit other sites unless someone has a link for an article on a game. For news, and analysis, GAF always catches the bias or BS click-baiting.

The exception for me is Kinda Funny.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Even if the other 2 console manufacturers disappeared it wouldn't matter. You can still play games on portables, PC, Mac, tablets and phones. Your analogy is incorrect.

It wouldn't matter? What.

Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony's Worldwide Studios, mentioned a strong Nintendo benefits them in the longterm.

Everyone benefits when the market is strong and not one-sided - how is this hard to understand?

We should all go back to the NES era then, everything was better then right.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Here is a rough look at how the graph would look should the PlayStation 4 achieve the 38.8 million forecast. This chart shows an estimated sell in through to March 31st 2016.

FORECAST%20PS4_zpse63ux0cs.jpg~original

Sorry to ask (because probably was said earlier), but no numbers for PS3 and PSP/Vita?

Sony no longer report PS3/Vita numbers. They're still being sold in of course.

bombshell

Here is a rough look at how the graph would look should the PlayStation 4 achieve the 38.8 million forecast. This chart shows an estimated sell in through to March 31st 2016.

FORECAST%20PS4_zpse63ux0cs.jpg~original

Do you estimate XBO having a chance to crack 20m sell in at the same point in time?

ZhugeEX

Banned
Do you estimate XBO having a chance to crack 20m sell in at the same point in time?

Yes. It will reach somewhere around 20 million by the end of the year according to my original forecast dated January 2015. I fully expect the Xbox One to be near the PS3 total as of month 26. (end of this calendar year)

I see no reason to change my current Xbox One forecast which is cumulative ~20 million, nor my Wii U forecast which is cumulative ~12.5m by end of 2015.

bombshell

Yes. It will reach somewhere around 20 million by the end of the year according to my original forecast dated January 2015. I fully expect the Xbox One to be near the PS3 total as of month 26. (end of this calendar year)

I see no reason to change my current Xbox One forecast which is ~20 million, nor my Wii U forecast which is ~12.5m.

OK thanks. On your graph it's about to get below PS3 launch aligned, but the holidays will probably put it on a trajectory higher than PS3 again for a couple months.

Rymuth

The Bingo sheet is missing an entire row.

Also RIP Aquamarine. That slot is never getting bingo'd. :(
In retrospect, I should've added several things

• Sony only won because MS failed
  • Sony fudged the numbers
  • #PS4 has no exclusives
  • Dat marketing, dat hype
I shan't update the sheet, though, as the point has been made.

Top Bottom