• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

770K yes. Should be over 800K this month and back to 1million by October. What Sony does this holiday with price will determine if that extends or goes back down.

Xbox always does way way way better in Holidays, and considering this Holiday they actually have really big exclusives as compared to last year, I think they will close the gap even more than they did last year.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony announced Destiny: The Taken King Limited Edition Bundle will be only $399 in US.

Pretty nice price for a bundle... free game.

Yes but I just don't understand how it is selling so well as compared to the Xbox which IMO is pretty much the same device. I get the whole launch and messaging fiasco but I thought MS has done a better job since that point.

The bolded answers your question. They're the same devices to you, but to many others, they're not.

bombshell

Yes but I just don't understand how it is selling so well as compared to the Xbox which IMO is pretty much the same device. I get the whole launch and messaging fiasco but I thought MS has done a better job since that point.

Pretty much the same device except running a lot of multiplats worse.

So rough guess, Xbone probably at 1 million? Sounds fair?

That's obviously depending on how much the 360 sales has cratered. I'd say 1 million is the minimum.

MS has arguably done a better job in the US, which is represented by the fact that they aren't getting beat by nearly as much.

Rest of the world? They still don't get all the US-centric stuff MS does, and from my understanding they aren't even getting all the insanely good deals, either.

And the rest of the world is why the PS4 continues to grow the gap by so much, not the US.

Elman

console-wars-q2-15.002-640x480.jpg

Dem Ars Technica charts. Analysis: Sony pushes past 50 percent of the worldwide console market

I like Ars, but it seems kinda goofy to make it look like Xbone is one quarter behind in worldwide shipments ("excluding Japan"
lol
).

Chobel

I wonder if the Xbox One is going to drop to $299 this holiday. I know everyone's on the Microsoft Desperation Train™, but trying to sustain a loss leader strategy, especially when behind by so much, can't be pleasing investors.

They'll do whatever it takes to win US, and investors don't really care about Xbox. So yeah, I think they'll go $299 this Holiday.

My brain just can't comprehend the demand for the PS4. I have one and like it a lot but the way it is selling is insane to me.

There's a huge part of the world where Xbox as a brand doesn't matter in the slightest.

Especially Asian regions, who has an affinity to Japanese games. Why would we give a shit about a console that won't have a large majority of Japanese games?

There's a huge part of the world where Xbox as a brand doesn't matter in the slightest.

Especially Asian regions, who has an affinity to Japanese games. Why would we give a shit about a console that won't have a large majority of Japanese games?

I think I tend to forget that the PS4 sells a lot in these regions.

It has more games , better specs , better mindshare and the PS brand is stronger in other parts of the world .
Sony try to grow other markets also which helps them .

People need to remember even with all of Sony fuck ups last gen they still tie with MS.
Hell the system launch a year and half later in EU .

Boke1879

You realize how well XB1 sold last November and December, right? It gained huge ground.

I do remember that but I don't think it'll be so clear cut for MS this year. They have Halo yes, but Sony does have marketing with COD and battlefront which most likely will see bundles as well. The system COULD see a price cut but who knows if that's even needed,

People are suggesting MS will drop the price to $299. I don't know about that. Short term yes its a good idea to gain ground and it's great for the consumer. But again what about after the holiday? Are they going to keep it there or go back up? Is MS ok with losing the money on the hardware when they've been told by investors they need to start making a profit on it?

bombshell

My brain just can't comprehend the demand for the PS4. I have one and like it a lot but the way it is selling is insane to me.

Take the disastrous XBO console reveal. Add an at launch higher price for a lower spec'ed console. From here the snowball effect of friends buying what their friends have bought starts and there's (almost) no way back.

Shahed

console-wars-q2-15.002-640x480.jpg

Dem Ars Technica charts. Analysis: Sony pushes past 50 percent of the worldwide console market

I like Ars, but it seems kinda goofy to make it look like Xbone is one quarter behind in worldwide shipments ("excluding Japan"
lol
).

I can kind of understand why they don't want a massive bar chart just for one of the option. However the Wii U and XB1 bars are to scale, but the PS4 one isn't and can kind of give the wrong impression. They should have just done a Pie Chart instead.

Look to how each company is handling China for some insight into why there's such significant differences in sales pretty much everywhere but the US.

Aside from Sony's overall larger library, in these markets the ps4 (and PlayStation consoles in general) sees more and generally better localizations, more services offered, and more robust marketing.

In the US the much smaller difference is due primarily to price/power/reveal.

Boke1879

Microsoft has the Fallout 4 marketing.

Sony on the other hand can make Battlefront, Black Ops 3, Ass Creed Syndicate, Metal Gear Solid V bundles.

MS has FO marketing but I would not be shocked if that game still sold better on the PS4. For the most part 3rd party games overall seem to be trending toward PS4.

BadWolf

Which is MS's big problem, they always aimed for the PS audience.

So if Sony doesn't fuck up by giving them a year long head start or launching a PS console at a dumb price then MS doesn't stand much of a chance to begin with.

The PS brand is very strong worldwide.

ViciousDS

Banned
Microsoft has the Fallout 4 marketing.

Sony on the other hand can make Battlefront, Black Ops 3, Ass Creed Syndicate, Metal Gear Solid V bundles.

and this right here.....is bigger than anything this fall. The follow up to the biggest CoD shooter probably in history besides CoD4 (There are still over 200,000 players at once world wide on PS3 ALONE at times, imagine if they all jump to next gen holy shit!) and One of the biggest brands in entertainment via Star Wars.

Sony has the two biggest third party guns they really needed to not even do anything on their end for this holiday.

Sony is killing it with 3rd party marketing. Even though I know Star Wars is coming to every platform, it just "feels" like a Playstation game.

prwxv3

MS has FO marketing but I would not be shocked if that game still sold better on the PS4. For the most part 3rd party games overall seem to be trending toward PS4.

TW3 still sold better on PS4 despite the MS marketing deal. RPGs sell better on PS4. Though I expect FO4 to be really close due to the shooting and nature of the game.

The PlayStation brand has always been very popular and resonates better with gamers around the world. It also helps that the console is small, looks great and is powerful enough to run games better than the competition.

I think last gen was something not normal, Xbox was never meant to be really popular, it's more of Sony's fuck-ups that gave the market position MS enjoyed last gen. This gen, things went back to normal, Sony made a solid console and people are buying it. + world of mouth and playing with friends online made it sell even better than the competition. Right now, it's the hot thing to own.

Outside of the US, especially in European countries, people don't even know what Xbox is. It helps that Sony does an incredible job internationally, something MS is really bad at.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Take the disastrous XBO console reveal. Add an at launch higher price for a lower spec'ed console. From here the snowball effect of friends buying what their friends have bought starts and there's (almost) no way back.
Yea, Microsoft lost the race from the get go. The only thing they can do now is to sell well in US and UK so they actually have a chance next gen.

It has more games , better specs , better mindshare and the PS brand is stronger in other parts of the world .
Sony try to grow other markets also which helps them .

People need to remember even with all of Sony fuck ups last gen they still tie with MS.
This is obvious. Anyone asking this dumb question in a gaming forum can't see it no matter how much someone can explain it. To a casual gamer elsewhere I get why you ask it. In a gaming forum, you should know why as there's plenty of reasons. People don't want to see it and cry/shit post in every sales topic and that's fine.

bombshell

I can kind of understand why they don't want a massive bar chart just for one of the option. However the Wii U and XB1 bars are to scale, but the PS4 one isn't and can kind of give the wrong impression. They should have just done a Pie Chart instead.

Holy shit you're right. The difference in the bar lengths is almost the same between the PS4-XBO and XBO-WiiU. That's a very misleading bar chart, but not surprising from our favorite Kyle Orland.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Holy shit you're right. The difference in the bar lengths is almost the same between the PS4-XBO and XBO-WiiU. That's a very misleading bar chart, but not surprising from our favorite Kyle Orland.

Kyle Orland is very bias towards Microsoft. Every article of his has to say something positive about them.

Top Bottom