• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

tmac456

Sony straight killing it this gen.

and to think... their biggest franchises haven't been released and they haven't dropped the price yet. scary.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MOST IMPORTANTLY this means THE ORDER was a HUGE success and haters have been annihilated by the glorious power of Sony. I am looking forward--nay, I am sitting on the edge of my seat with baited breath-- for the announcement verily of a SEQUEL to THE GAME OF THE YEAR THE ORDER 1886 in which MORE HATERS will be annihilated. STEP UP to the ANNIHILATION LIGHT HATERS for it is your time to be made WRONG AND CORRECTED.

It's being released as a combo pack with the Last Guardian. It's being developed by Ninja Theory, masters of gameplay.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm a PS4 owner and love it but anyone saying Sony have been perfect especially with it's exclusives are looking at it with rose tinted glasses. So my point still stands. Compare those Xbox games I listed to:

Resogun (Probably best PS4 launch title)
Killzone (good but flawed)
Infamous SS (again good but flawed)
Knack (Piss poor)
The Order (Great graphics but poor gameplay)
DriveClub (Broken mess at launch)

Xbox had better quality 1st part support at the beginning.

Yes Bloodborne and DriveClub getting fixed and an excellent season pass certainly made up for it and TLoU Remaster was brilliant but it was a PS3 game. Sony definitely didn't have a great start with their normally excellent exclusives.

But despit all that, my original point was exclusives didn't matter so much because luckily Sony made the right decisions in making PS4 more powerful, which gave it an advantage in 3rd party games, which Sony have really relied on, even treating some 3rd party games like their own exclusives. Not a negative though, very smart move by Sony really and it's payed off with incredible sales.

There have been repeated mentions that these kind of completely subjective list war posts are not wanted here. Why do you insist on repeating yourself? We got what you meant the first time.

Does your forecast account for the MGSV bundle bump in September? Could be as big as Destiny was. Then you have the Battlefront marketing along with CoD marketing that will hit over the holidays that will draw some to the console. Along with potential bundles. Then you have stuff like NMS which if it does make 2015 will sell plenty of consoles. Then you have Persona 5 which will draw in some JRPG folk who were waiting out.

Dunno, feels like thinking this year will be lower then last is the wrong direction

ZhugeEX

Banned
Wow. They expect the Xbox One to sell 7 million or so by the end of the year? I wonder if they know what Microsoft's holiday strategy is.

USA! USA! USA!

They're guaranteed another 5m in USA and UK before the end of the year.

Do they exclude just Japan or all Asia?

I can't remember. Activation exclude the entirety of Asia in their numbers. EA exclude Asia as a whole maybe? I'm not sure?

The rest all just state worldwide sales.

Steroyd

I'm a PS4 owner and love it but anyone saying Sony have been perfect especially with it's exclusives are looking at it with rose tinted glasses. So my point still stands. Compare those Xbox games I listed to:

Knack (Piss poor)

Yes Bloodborne and DriveClub getting fixed and an excellent season pass certainly made up for it and TLoU Remaster was brilliant but it was a PS3 game. Sony definitely didn't have a great start with their normally excellent exclusives.

But despit all that, my original point was exclusives didn't matter so much because luckily Sony made the right decisions in making PS4 more powerful, which gave it an advantage in 3rd party games, which Sony have really relied on, even treating some 3rd party games like their own exclusives. Not a negative though, very smart move by Sony really and it's payed off with incredible sales.

I'd say they're about the same, you say Driveclub was a broken mess at launch, well Halo MCC, you throw in a title with pretty graphics and poor gameplay, there's Ryse and so on, also Sony's efforts were split across multiple consoles, they released TLOU the same year PS4 came out, they release Gran Turismo 6 on PS3 the day after the PS4 released in Europe (why!?), they probably could have moved those projects to the PS4, for the sake of list making brownie points.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yes but I just don't understand how it is selling so well as compared to the Xbox which IMO is pretty much the same device. I get the whole launch and messaging fiasco but I thought MS has done a better job since that point.

PlayStation is a stronger brand outside of the US. PS3 did really well when you consider the late and expensive start.

Add in the fuckwittery from MS before launch and it was a perfect storm for Sony and they haven't looked back since.

Three

Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen also mentioned that Sony’s announcement today raising the forecast for PS4 sales this year is “hugely positive,” and that every time Sony and Microsoft release information it’s a positive surprise.
I remember their prediction was on the very low side last time. Do you remember what it was before Zhuge? I think it was something like 35M.

Edit: found it
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1041343&page=1

they've actually reduced it. I need to eat crow too.

Felessan

My forecast is for the calendar year which runs from January 2015 through December 2015.
I'm sorry, but you are doing some analytic's job, and I spend some time in IB doing some trading side job, so I'll always question raw data&conclusions when I see them

You current posted estimation imply 54% YoY increase in sales in CY16 Q1 if we follow Sony guidelines for their FY. On other hand you are implying 13% increase for CY15 Q4.
I found it unlikely. Such impact (for CY16 Q1) might happens in case of pricecut, but it'll most probably happens in CY Q4 and not in CY Q1 as latter not reasonable.

Actually, given the same YoY 11% increase as in this quarter (it might be sustainable or it might be not) we will have 36 million of unit shipped by the end of this calendar year.

There have been repeated mentions that these kind of completely subjective list war posts are not wanted here. Why do you insist on repeating yourself? We got what you meant the first time.

To make a point obviously, apparently not everyone got it the 1st time, but I'm done now anyway, clearly we can't say good things and point out flaws with PS4 and Xbox One without someone trying to make it about stupid flame wars.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
To make a point obviously, apparently not everyone got it the 1st time, but I'm done now anyway, clearly we can't say good things and point out flaws with PS4 and Xbox One without someone trying to make it about stupid flame wars.
If you wanted to make a point about exclusives not being important to the general sales of a console in 2015, what relevance has your opinion on the quality of those games?

Surely the important factor in that argument are the actual sales.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I'm sorry, but you are doing some analytic's job, and I spend some time in IB doing some trading side job, so I'll always question raw data&conclusions when I see them

You current posted estimation imply 54% YoY increase in sales in CY16 Q1 if we follow Sony guidelines for their FY. On other hand you are implying 13% increase for CY15 Q4.
I found it unlikely. Such impact (for CY16 Q1) might happens in case of pricecut, but it'll most probably happens in CY Q4 and not in CY Q1 as latter not reasonable.

Actually, given the same YoY 11% increase as in this quarter (it might be sustainable or it might be not) we will have 36 million of unit shipped by the end of this calendar year.

Bear in mind that the July forecast update you're referring to was created before Sony increased their forecast from 16 million to 16.5 million.

I understand what you're saying. But you seem to miss when I said that I expect the actual total to be in between 35.1m and 36.1m.

I'm thinking that it could actually be closer to my original forecast now based on Sony's increased forecast.

Stanng243

When you say things like "most people" in a sales thread, you need backup, not your opinion. Plus, you called Knack piss poor. That's just crazy.

I'd say they're about the same, you say Driveclub was a broken mess at launch, well Halo MCC, you throw in a title with pretty graphics and poor gameplay, there's Ryse and so on, also Sony's efforts were split across multiple consoles, they released TLOU the same year PS4 came out, they release Gran Turismo 6 on PS3 the day after the PS4 released in Europe (why!?), they probably could have moved those projects to the PS4, for the sake of list making brownie points.

Totally agree with that, GT 6 had a strange release and really should have come out earlier or been push back to become a PS4 game. Also agree that both sides haven't been perfect with games.

Thanks for replying without trying trying to make something more out of my comment too, some people really seem to be trying to start the console War thing instead of actually having a real conversation about this stuff.

T-0800

I really hope Sony takes the profit they are making and begins to expand first party studios and create new ones. They need to consider just how important first party can be going forward.

You think they don't already know? I'm puzzled by the assumption.

Three

Totally agree with that, GT 6 had a strange release and really should have come out earlier or been push back to become a PS4 game. Also agree that both sides haven't been perfect with games.

Thanks for replying without trying trying to make something more out of my comment too, some people really seem to be trying to start the console War thing instead of actually having a real conversation about this stuff.

weasel words are not a real conversation.

You think they don't already know? I'm puzzled by the assumption.

Likely fears that Sony will see the current success and believe that 1st party doesn't need to be as much of a focus. I don't believe that'll happen though. I feel like Sony is more focused on quality releases than a quantity of releases. Also, we need to stop discounting digital only offerings. There are real digital only gems that get overlooked because they aren't AAA.

T-0800

Likely fears that Sony will see the current success and believe that 1st party doesn't need to be as much of a focus. I don't believe that'll happen though. I feel like Sony is more focused on quality releases than a quantity of releases. Also, we need to stop discounting digital only offerings. There are real digital only gems that get overlooked because they aren't AAA.

Sony tend to release their best first party games later on anyway. We currently know nothing at all about GT7.

Apathy

If anything, seeing the sales without a big well know first party ip out, it might show them they don't need to rely on established ips and let first party studios take more risks with new ips.

I know this comment isn't exactly timely, but it's amazing to me how much 360 was totally not easily beating the PS3 despite it feeling that way living in the US and the gaming press having a hard on for MS. At least the sites I followed.

ZhugeEX

Banned
I know this comment isn't exactly timely, but it's amazing to me how much 360 was totally not easily beating the PS3 despite it feeling that way living in the US and the gaming press having a hard on for MS. At least the sites I followed.

Well you have to remember that the chart in the OP aligns the launches of PS3 and 360 for easy comparison of first 48 months sales.

But in reality the Xbox 360 launched 1 year earlier in 2005 and by the time the PS3 launched at the end of 2006 the 360 already had a 10 million head start and has remained ahead of the PS3 for pretty much the entire generation on a global basis. The PS3 was able to close the gap but never go above the 360.

Of course when you align launches the PS3 does sell better early on and tracks ahead of the 360 but it never beats the 360 by that 10 million.

In the US the 360 dominated and to date has sold more than 43 million units whilst the PlayStation 3 has only managed to sell 26 million units.

If anything, seeing the sales without a big well know first party ip out, it might show them they don't need to rely on established ips and let first party studios take more risks with new ips.

The current titles coming look like they are will to take risks. We all know ND does as it pleases. Everyone else seems to take risks from time to time. SSM being a GOW seems more of a choice and that botched Stig project than an edict from on high. Plus SSM is involved in several of the artsy projects. San Diego is branching out. I don't think anyone is boxed in so to speak.

Well you have to remember that the chart in the OP aligns the launches of PS3 and 360 for easy comparison of first 48 months sales.

But in reality the Xbox 360 launched 1 year earlier in 2005 and by the time the PS3 launched at the end of 2006 the 360 already had a 10 million head start and has remained ahead of the PS3 for pretty much the entire generation on a global basis. The PS3 was able to close the gap but never go above the 360.

Of course when you align launches the PS3 does sell better early on and tracks ahead of the 360 but it never beats the 360 by that 10 million.

In the US the 360 dominated and to date has sold more than 43 million units whilst the PlayStation 3 has only managed to sell 26 million units.

It's crazy when you think about how much brand power PS has in EU.
PS3 launch 16 months after 360 at a very expensive price and still beat them over there.
Anyone that follow game consoles sales should have know PS4 would clean up in EU launching the same time .
And when you looking at markets such as china and the middle east it might end being the same there .
MS just can't seem to expand there market and they will always lose if Sony brings out there console at the same time and price WW IMO.

Definitely impressive numbers. It only makes me wonder how much better the PS4 will do next year with big name exclusives like Uncharted and Street Fighter (a) big JRPG(s), with either Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts, and, of course, Morpheus. All on top of that, the PS4 will inevitably have a pricedrop by then, no doubt.

As far as the holidays go, I wonder if we'll see "unofficial" temporary pricecuts from retailers for the PS4. I wouldn't be surprised. I also expect retailer bundles as well, with giftcards, or maybe an extra game or PS+.

zeopower6

The Kinect helped for sure. Though I wonder where all those owners are now and how many of them were RRoD'd and replaced.

Trojan

On top of these glowing sales figures, I think Rocket League's impact is just getting started. It's the kind of game that can hit a tipping point into the mainstream and drive even more sales. I think people outside of gaming are just starting to get converted and it plays so well to a more casual audience.

MS would be smart to throw a bunch of money at Psyonix to get that title to their platform so it isn't solely associated with Sony (and PC).

Dat subjective

Knack (Piss poor)

c61c5900-cc8d-0132-45c5-0ebc4eccb42f.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
On top of these glowing sales figures, I think Rocket League's impact is just getting started. It's the kind of game that can hit a tipping point into the mainstream and drive even more sales. I think people outside of gaming are just starting to get converted and it plays so well to a more casual audience.

MS would be smart to throw a bunch of money at Psyonix to get that title to their platform so it isn't solely associated with Sony (and PC).

i don't think people are going to buy a ps4 for rocket league. why wouldn't they just buy the PC version since there is cross-play? they could still play with friends that have it on ps4.

is 4.5 million downloads that much more than the best game in your typical monthly PS+ IGC title?

Trojan

i don't think people are going to buy a ps4 for rocket league. why wouldn't they just buy the PC version since there is cross-play? they could still play with friends that have it on ps4.

is 4.5 million downloads that much more than the best game in your typical monthly PS+ IGC title?

Do you know how many people bought a Wii solely for Wii Sports? Mainstream audiences will absolutely make purchases on single games if it hits the proper tipping point. Rocket League hasn't hit that point yet, but I predict it's going that direction. Even though its with the help of PS+, there are now 5 million people singing its praises already which is huge word of mouth and it's a beautifully simplistic concept for a game.

So how many different bundles are Sony going to have for Black Friday? There'll obviously be ones with Call of Duty: Black Ops and Star Wars Battlefront, but likely not one with both (at least in the box). There'll very likely be one for Assassin's Creed (I can't even remember the subtitle of these anymore). I think the Uncharted Collection will get thrown in with almost all of these as well as one with Batman: Arkham Knight. There'll probably be a family bundle as well with Disney Infinity 3.0 and Tearaway Unfolded (as well as possibly LittleBigPlanet 3).

crinale

I think when would Sony cut the PS4 retail price will depend on their contractor's production capacity (since they have reduced BOM already).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Do you know how many people bought a Wii solely for Wii Sports? Mainstream audiences will absolutely make purchases on single games if it hits the proper tipping point. Rocket League hasn't hit that point yet, but I predict it's going that direction. Even though its with the help of PS+, there are now 5 million people singing its praises already which is huge word of mouth and it's a beautifully simplistic concept for a game.

difference is it still requires a controller. it doesn't have the motion control gimmick that the wii had. agree to disagree though. i would love to be proven wrong as its a great game.

I don't know if that is a meme but Rocket League is the most downloaded PS+ IGC title in the history of PS+ IGC.

no...i've just read the number. haven't read any other text that might have accompanied that announcement. do they have numbers of how many of those ps+ players actually logged into the game and how the current average play base is between ps4 and steam? i know they said something like 180k concurrent players at some point.

Top Bottom