• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

etta

my hard graphic balls
Do you know how many people bought a Wii solely for Wii Sports? Mainstream audiences will absolutely make purchases on single games if it hits the proper tipping point. Rocket League hasn't hit that point yet, but I predict it's going that direction. Even though its with the help of PS+, there are now 5 million people singing its praises already which is huge word of mouth and it's a beautifully simplistic concept for a game.
Isn't Rocket League on PC too? And doesn't it have pretty low requirements (before the "not everyone has a gaming PC")?

Road

We are not attacking the numbers and xbone predicion area, that is fine. We are laughing at their "chart".

Their site:
console-wars-q2-15.002-640x480.jpg

Accurate scale:
console-wars-q2-15.001ilse.png

At this point I think arsthechnica knows these articles have become a well known joke and are just playing along with it. Don't read too much into it.

Isn't Rocket League on PC too? And doesn't it have pretty low requirements (before the "not everyone has a gaming PC")?

I think they released numbers that showed the vast majority of players are on PS4.

Edit: I may be thinking of another game, I can't find a link.

I think they released numbers that showed the vast majority of players are on PS4.

And that SteamSpy thing said only about 500,000 copies have been bought on Steam. If accurate, that means roughly 4.5 million of the 5 million are on PS4. The crazy thing is, assuming there are far more than 4.5 million PS+ subscribers, a whole lot of people have not bothered to try out the game on PS4.

Boke1879

So how many different bundles are Sony going to have for Black Friday? There'll obviously be ones with Call of Duty: Black Ops and Star Wars Battlefront, but likely not one with both (at least in the box). There'll very likely be one for Assassin's Creed (I can't even remember the subtitle of these anymore). I think the Uncharted Collection will get thrown in with almost all of these as well as one with Batman: Arkham Knight. There'll probably be a family bundle as well with Disney Infinity 3.0 and Tearaway Unfolded (as well as possibly LittleBigPlanet 3).

Hmm it's tough to predict. But in November I expect them to have a COD and Battlefront Bundle. For Black Friday I would not be shocked if those two bundles are still offered and you can decide to pick up and an extra game with it all for $399

Trojan

And that SteamSpy thing said only about 500,000 copies have been bought on Steam. If accurate, that means roughly 4.5 million of the 5 million are on PS4. The crazy thing is, assuming there are far more than 4.5 million PS+ subscribers, a whole lot of people have not bothered to try out the game on PS4.

I may be wrong (correct me if so), but I thought at one point in the last year, Sony implied that about half of people who owned a PS4 were PS+ members. Which is a great attach rate and would mean that around 1/3 of PS+ members could have downloaded Rocket League.

Hmm it's tough to predict. But in November I expect them to have a COD and Battlefront Bundle. For Black Friday I would not be shocked if those two bundles are still offered and you can decide to pick up and an extra game with it all for $399

Like I said I think The Uncharted Collection will get thrown into almost every bundle. Then around a few weeks or so before whenever Uncharted 4 comes out they drop the price to $349

I may be wrong (correct me if so), but I thought at one point in the last year, Sony implied that about half of people who owned a PS4 were PS+ members. Which is a great attach rate and would mean that around 1/3 of PS+ members could have downloaded Rocket League.

I would assume, of the people that didn't get Rocket League, that they either have a hard line stance against playing sports-based games or are insanely misinformed about how PS+ works. I am almost certain that some people are paying for MP without realizing that each month they have no idea that they are passing on free games. I really think (at least on PS4) the games should auto download (or at least have a notification related to them).

Mikey Jr.

I would assume, of the people that didn't get Rocket League, that they either have a hard line stance against playing sports-based games or are insanely misinformed about how PS+ works. I am almost certain that some people are paying for MP without realizing that each month they have no idea that they are passing on free games. I really think (at least on PS4) the games should auto download (or at least have a notification related to them).

It costs money each time someone downloads a game.

Why would they tell auto download games for paying members who don't give a shit? Its free money for sony.

At work I didn't have a whole lot of time, just typed Ps4 on google and I remember some news article that had a headline saying something like "Sony's mobile/cell phone division losses cancels out Ps4's success" or something of the sort like that.

stryke

I suspect the royalties gained from PS+ is on a per claim basis. They won't do autodownload as Sony doesn't want to pay for a game you might not ever play.

edit - beaten

Keep in mind that at this point in the PS2's life it was already $200 cheaper than the PS4. It had its first pricedrop in May of 2002.
Not to single you out since I've seen multiple people saying this, but it's not true. The PS2 pricedrop in May 2002 was 26 months after launch. PS4 has only been out for 21 months and will not hit that age until January 2016.

Adjusting for inflation, PS4 is the same price PS2 was at this point in its life.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
PS4 numbers are insane. Jeez.

Sony has the Destiny bundle coming out at $400 in September and im sure that a COD and Battlefront themed bundle will be coming out as well. Sony should release the COD and Battlefront bundles at $400 with the 1TB hard drive and the revision that makes the console use less power. Doing this adds value to the bundle, keeps it at $400 and avoids a price drop. Imagine if they were to bring the MGSV bundle to NA. Forget about it.

At work I didn't have a whole lot of time, just typed Ps4 on google and I remember some news article that had a headline saying something like "Sony's mobile/cell phone division losses cancels out Ps4's success" or something of the sort like that.

Verge click-baity nonsense. Basically trying to draw attention to their own Sony earnings news by being "different"

That was click-bait. They turned a profit this quarter.

Not to single you out since I've seen multiple people saying this, but it's not true. The PS2 pricedrop in May 2002 was 26 months after launch. PS4 has only been out for 21 months and will not hit that age until January 2016.

Adjusting for inflation, PS4 is the same price PS2 was at this point in its life.

You must be taking its March 2000 launch in Japan into account to get to 26 months. In which case they actually dropped the price in Japan in November 2001

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/27/technology/27SONY.html

Verge click-baity nonsense. Basically trying to draw attention to their own Sony earnings news by being "different"

That was click-bait. They turned a profit this quarter.
ah, here it is. clickbait at its finest then, because the bait *almost* worked on me (probably others) but I just didn't have time to click and read. one less, I guess.

good news for sony though if they turned a profit.
Wasn't Verge the same site that "reported" that Microsoft won E3 through social media with an extremely poor methodology?
hm. sounds like it could be another ars-technica in that regard, then.

lord_lad

Banned
Many seems to underestimate of a potential (highly likely) Star Wars Battlefront bundle to elevate the PS4 sales this Black Friday and Xmas...

Star wars by itself will sell but with the release of the upcoming Episode 7, Star Wars fever will be at an all time high this december....If the Star Wars bundle truly exist, then it will no doubt be on the list of many's Xmas cart.

Boke1879

Like I said I think The Uncharted Collection will get thrown into almost every bundle. Then around a few weeks or so before whenever Uncharted 4 comes out they drop the price to $349

I forgot about the UC collection. You're right. No doubt in the future that gets thrown in. Makes a lot of sense to do it this holiday. Get Uncharted into as many hands as possible.

Trojan

This holiday Sony has exclusive DLC/marketing for CoD and Battlefront.

All they need is a price cut, and then...

Yea they have a huge head of steam heading into holiday season even without a killer exclusive. I think that Star Wars deal with EA is going to do insanely well for them.

Concept17

Star Wars is gonna dominate the holidays thanks to episode 7. The bundle should do exceptionally well. Probably more than any exclusive would have.

yes, because of insurance and image sensors. they lost more money on phones than they made on games.

Hell nope. They made money because of insurance and sensors and semiconductors and music and home entertainment and video games :) Usually they would also make money from pictures, but they slipped this time with a little loss for the quarter.

Sony Corp is actually a very healthy company as a whole right now, and the biggest loss of the mobile segment (the huge goodwill impairment thing from last year) is already a thing of the past.

The angle of The Verge's story was indeed absolutely clickbait. Sony's game segment making a 19,5 billion yen operating income in Q1 is huge, I don't know why anyone would downplay that performance because of mobile. Just imagine that Nintendo's operating income for the same quarter is 1,1 billion yen.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Sony would be better off releasing those bundles for $400 instead of a price drop. I don't see a price drop happening early 2016 either. It's almost a guarantee that we'll see an Uncharted 4 PS4 bundle which would be the next bundle after Battlefront.

Personally, if possible by then, I would announce the PS4 slim at E3 2016 and lower the price to $300 at the same time for the slim with a July 2016 release. Once the Uncharted 4 bundle comes out, I would only have that bundle for those four months until the slim PS4. That way, it would be an easy transition with few left over original sized PS4's.

Doubt that the slim PS4 would happen next year but if possible, that's what I would do. Price drop to $300 at E3 2016 either way. No way in hell would I drop the price when I know it will continue to sell at a steady pace for the rest of 2015 and with Uncharted 4 and SFV next March, I keep it at $400.

Hell nope. They made money because of insurance and sensors and semiconductors and music and home entertainment and video games :) Usually they would also make money from pictures, but they slipped this time with a little loss for the quarter.

Sony Corp is actually a very healthy company as a whole right now, and the biggest loss of the mobile segment (the huge goodwill impairment thing from last year) is already a thing of the past.

The angle of The Verge's story was indeed absolutely clickbait. Sony's game segment making a 19,5 billion yen operating income in Q1 is huge, I don't know why anyone would downplay that performance because of mobile. Just imagine that Nintendo's operating income for the same quarter is 1,1 billion yen.

the angle of the story is pointing out that while sony is doing well overall, its mobile division is an albatross around its neck. everyone is rightfully positive about the PS4 right now, so i think it's interesting to note that it's making less profit than the mobile losses. mobile is a *big* problem for sony. the observation is a relevant one, in my opinion.

if "clickbait" is anything, it's when the story doesn't deliver on the headline. in this case, the facts are right there in the headline: the mobile division is indeed losing sony more money than games are making. does that really offend you?

truth411

Sony would be better off releasing those bundles for $400 instead of a price drop. I don't see a price drop happening early 2016 either. It's almost a guarantee that we'll see an Uncharted 4 PS4 bundle which would be the next bundle after Battlefront.

Personally, if possible by then, I would announce the PS4 slim at E3 2016 and lower the price to $300 at the same time for the slim with a July 2016 release. Once the Uncharted 4 bundle comes out, I would only have that bundle for those four months until the slim PS4. That way, it would be an easy transition with few left over original sized PS4's.

Doubt that the slim PS4 would happen next year but if possible, that's what I would do. Price drop to $300 at E3 2016 either way. No way in hell would I drop the price when I know it will continue to sell at a steady pace for the rest of 2015 and with Uncharted 4 and SFV next March, I keep it at $400.

I'm not expecting a PS4 slim until Sony has a 14nm APU for the PS4. At the earliest gamescom 2016 and that's pushing it. More like 2017.

You must be taking its March 2000 launch in Japan into account to get to 26 months. In which case they actually dropped the price in Japan in November 2001
You're right, I forgot the Japanese drop. In any case, that was still 21 months after launch, so the point stands: up to this point, the PS4 is the same price the PS2 was (adjusting for inflation).

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not expecting a PS4 slim until Sony has a 14nm APU for the PS4. At the earliest gamescom 2016 and that's pushing it. More like 2017.

True and I agree which is why I said that "if it's possible" because if so, to announce a PS4 slim AND a $100 price drop at the same time would be huge in my opinion. While a slim PS4 is more likely for 2017, I still don't see any price drop happening until E3 2016 which would be Sony dropping the price from $400 to $300.

Deraj

Does your forecast account for the MGSV bundle bump in September? Could be as big as Destiny was. Then you have the Battlefront marketing along with CoD marketing that will hit over the holidays that will draw some to the console. Along with potential bundles. Then you have stuff like NMS which if it does make 2015 will sell plenty of consoles. Then you have Persona 5 which will draw in some JRPG folk who were waiting out.

Dunno, feels like thinking this year will be lower then last is the wrong direction

What gave me away?

Top Bottom