• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

ZhugeEX

Banned
Well yea which is why he clarified

And he would be in a position to know what the guiding strategy would be. His initial post was his way of dropping a hint saying as much

"Hey guys look at this thing Sony said. Tall might wanna keep that in mind whilst discussing price drops"

or at least that's the impression I got.

Oh right haha. I'm on my phone so didnt sceoll down to see that post. Fair enough if clarified after.

Conduit

Banned
If the PS4 hits 10 million in Japan that would be absolutely incredible...

Why not? Bunch of JRPG. Just like in PS2 old days

- Atelier Sophie
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Dissidia Final Fantasy
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
- Persona 5
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Dragon Quest Builders
- SAO Re: Hollow Fragment
- SAO Lost Song
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- New Vanillaware project
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Level 5 RPG
- The Witch & Hundred Knight 2
- Project Code: Daten & Tsukuyomi
- Hyperdimension Neptunia V-II
- Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
- Tokyo Xanadu
- Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2
- Lost Dimension
- Dark Souls 3
- Bloodborne
- Makai Shin Trillion
- Ray Gigant
- Saga 2015

RexNovis

Banned

While the software support will definitely help there's been a massive cultural shift towards portable and mobile gaming in Japan mostly driven by an increasingly transitory lifestyle. Japanese people of all ages are spending more and more time in transit to work and/or school these days so it makes dense that their gaming habits would trend towards easily portable hardware/software. Now this is not to say that things couldn't change but it's certainly not likely.

watdaeff4

- Atelier Sophie
- FF XIV
- FF XV
- FF VII Remake
- Dissidia Final Fantasy
- Kingdom Hearts III
- Nier 2
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2
- Persona 5
- Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky
- Tales of Zestiria
- Tales of Berseria
- Ys 8
- Star Ocean 5
- Disgaea 5
- Dragon Quest Builders
- SAO Re: Hollow Fragment
- SAO Lost Song
- Odin Sphere Leifthrasir
- New Vanillaware project
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Project SETSUNA
- Yoru no Nai Kuni
- World of Final Fantasy
- Level 5 RPG
- The Witch & Hundred Knight 2
- Project Code: Daten & Tsukuyomi
- Hyperdimension Neptunia V-II
- Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
- Tokyo Xanadu
- Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2
- Lost Dimension
- Dark Souls 3
- Bloodborne
- Makai Shin Trillion
- Ray Gigant
- Saga 2015

All of those confirmed? Jeezus, that's a lot of JRPG. Good to have choices. Wonder how many of them will make it to the US?

RexNovis

Banned
Yes, I was already reminded of the Japanese price drop. So it was actually 21 months, not 26. My point was that PS4 hasn't been selling at a higher price than the PS2 did, and that's still true (in adjusted dollars).

This true for the USD. But the value of the Yen has actually deflated since 2000 such that he equivalent of 30000 JPY on 31/01/2000 is 29756 JPY on 31/07/2015. So the PS4 is actually 10000¥ more expensive in Japan even when adjusted for inflation. A price cut in Japan would almost definitely help.

Concept17

Sony loves to squeeze every last sale out of each price point with their hardware. PS4 is still selling crazy well at 400, they won't cut the price till it slows down.

g0dofwar

Banned
So Sony should cut the price on a console that is selling better than anyone at the company could have ever predicted? Value sells, sometimes you want the best thing on the market and that is the PS4. The console needing the price cut is the Xbox One because it is not really competing with the PS4.

Ombala

Season_five_eugene_porter.png
Haha perfect response

TomShoe

Banned
So Sony should cut the price on a console that is selling better than anyone at the company could have ever predicted? Value sells, sometimes you want the best thing on the market and that is the PS4. The console needing the price cut is the Xbox One because it is not really competing with the PS4.

I can't see Microsoft playing another round of price limbo this holiday. It feels too soon. Xbox has been at its "promotional" price of $349 for 8 months until it became the official price last month. I know they want to "win" the US, but if they drop to $299 so quickly, they're going to struggle to make a profit all generation. With Halo 5 coming out this year, it's too big of a hit to the division's bottom line. If the price goes below $349 at any point, I expect it to be due to retailer-specific deals than anything official by Microsoft.

After Gopher jumped in here, I'm thinking $50 price drop for the holidays tops. And maybe even keep it beyond that until holidays next year or sales begin to slow.

But really, Sony doesn't even need a price cut. Aggressive bundles will still sell a ton for them this holiday. And I don't think Sony cares much if MS takes the holidays, when PS4 will also put up huge numbers and will likely continue to sell well year round world wide.

fedexpeon

Banned
I don't know, $50 isn't that big of a price cut.
The consumer mind will still see that it costs $3XX.
But I guess they can do a temporary price cut for the holiday like XB did, and then do the real $299 at next year E3.

TBiddy

I can't see Microsoft playing another round of price limbo this holiday. It feels too soon. Xbox has been at its "promotional" price of $349 for 8 months until it became the official price last month. I know they want to "win" the US, but if they drop to $299 so quickly, they're going to struggle to make a profit all generation. With Halo 5 coming out this year, it's too big of a hit to the division's bottom line. If the price goes below $349 at any point, I expect it to be due to retailer-specific deals than anything official by Microsoft.

Also, it's worth noting that the XB1 isn't selling poorly, per se. It just pales in comparison with the PS4, which is doing absolutely incredibly.

edit:

To elaborate - if the XB1 was selling poorly, there might be more reason for Microsoft to consider another price cut, but seeing how it's outselling the 360, I don't think it's that relevant right now. After all, if MS can sell 50-55 million XB1s over its lifespan, I'd say they are happy, since that's 50-55 million more Windows 10 machines out there.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't think they need a price drop. It would certainly help them get market shares, but it would also accelerate MS transition to a new platform, and they don't want that.

RexNovis

Banned
I doubt that would make any difference what so ever.

You don't think announcing the first official price cut of a very successful platform would make a difference in sales? Clearly your thoughts emanate from a place untainted by logic or common sense.

TBiddy

You don't think announcing the first official price cut of a very successful platform would make a difference in sales? Clearly your thoughts exist in a plane of reality untainted by logic or common sense.

Please understand the context of what I quoted and what I wrote.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Mmmh, given Gopher's post, I'm expecting more like 349.99 + new permament pack in game(s) starting from this Holiday season.

TBiddy

You said announcing a price drop "wouldn't make a difference". I fail to see how context could make that any less ridiculous.

Considering the context was announcing it on Halo 5 release day, there's a huge difference in what I wrote and what you think I wrote.

It would be madness to claim that a price drop wouldn't make a difference. I claimed that it wouldn't make a difference, whether or not it was announced at the Halo 5 release day.

stryke

I'm not sure if it's a big deal, haven't heard of him until now but SCE UK boss just resigned. I will say though he did a good job with PS4 in UK.

RexNovis

Banned
It would be madness to claim that a price drop wouldn't make a difference.

Well I'm glad we can both agree on that.

I claimed that it wouldn't make a difference, whether or not it was announced at the Halo 5 release day.

Well that makes more sense. But that's not what you wrote. You said you doubt "it" would make any difference. You never specified what you meant by it. The logical assumption there would be that "it" refers to the topic of both posts: a price cut. It would behoove you to be more specific when expressing your "thoughts" to others.

TBiddy

Well I'm glad we can both agree on that.

Well that makes more sense. But that's not what you wrote. You said you doubt "it" would make any difference. You never specified what you meant by it. The logical assumption there would be that "it" refers to the topic of both posts: a price cut. It would behoove you to be more specific when expressing your "thoughts" to others.

Whats with the aggressive attitude?

You could've asked what I meant instead of assuming, that I'm unable to have a logical thought.

English isn't my first language, so the meaning of a post can sometimes be lost in translation.

I'll say a $100 price cut this winter, because Sony want it at that price for Morpheus launch. So this way there's two events, price cut and Morpheus launch.

MS just made an astronomical $8 billion loss for the quarter. They haven't got much room for manoeuvre in terms of price-cuts this Holiday period.

They will drop to $299 if Sony slashes the PS4 to that price first, but they are not going to eat hundreds of millions of losses like they did last Holiday through insane bundle deals on top. If they do their financials for the calender year will be atrocious.

TBiddy

MS just made an astronomical $8 billion loss for the quarter. They haven't got much room for manoeuvre in terms of price-cuts this Holiday period.

They will drop to $299 if Sony slashes the PS4 to that price first, but they are not going to eat hundreds of millions of losses like they did last Holiday through insane bundle deals on top. If they do their financials for the calender year will be atrocious.

The loss was 3.2 billion USD (afair), because of a 7.6 billion USD write-off.

Their financials are doing just fine, and they can easily afford cutting the price, if they wished.

stryke

Isn't that just a one off with the Nokia write down?

Fat4all

Banned
Considering the context was announcing it on Halo 5 release day, there's a huge difference in what I wrote and what you think I wrote.

It would be madness to claim that a price drop wouldn't make a difference. I claimed that it wouldn't make a difference, whether or not it was announced at the Halo 5 release day.

Sony has a conference at a Games Show in Paris, and it's on the same day Halo 5 releases.

It would have nothing to do with preventing Halo 5 sales, it's a news story that would rival the launch of a Halo game on a day that's supposed to be practically nothing BUT Halo news.

It's a big talking point.

RexNovis

Banned
Whats with the aggressive attitude?

You could've asked what I meant instead of assuming, that I'm unable to have a logical thought.

English isn't my first language, so the meaning of a post can sometimes be lost in translation.

Theres a trend of previously unknown juniors posting asinine "opinions" and "thoughts" in sales related threads. Aggression was not the intent here; my response was out of genuine incredulity at the thought of the implied meaning. Since English isn't your first language I understand how the misunderstanding occurred here. For future reference its best not to use personal pronouns if it does not refer to the topic of the quoted post or when the noun has never been clearly stated or identified otherwise an English speaker will make the logical assumption that the pronoun is in reference to the previous subject as I did. Regardless this is all off topic so no harm no foul lets just get back on topic.

I really want to see it happen this year, plus I'm trusting Gopher less and less.

?!?!? Well then. That's a tad harsh ain't it?What the hell did Gopher do to you?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Sony has a conference at a Games Show in Paris, and it's on the same day Halo 5 releases.

It would have nothing to do with preventing Halo 5 sales, it's a news story that would rival the launch of a Halo game on a day that's supposed to be practically nothing BUT Halo news.

It's a big talking point.
Assuming it came to pass the way you describe, what effect are you imagining that would make it specifically about Halo 5?

Halo 5 will be big news regardless of whether or not it's theoretically released on a different date.
A $100 price cut will be big news regardless no matter what the date is.

What I'm pretty sure off in any case is that nobody that had plans to go to the store to buy a Halo 5 bundle because of Halo will not go and buy a Halo 5 bundle.

If the argument is just that having a big price drop for the holidays will have an affect on the holiday sales then disregard this post for obviousness, but then the specific timings are not very important, nor is the relation to the Halo 5 release date.

Fat4all

Banned
If the argument is just that having a big price drop for the holidays will have an affect on the holiday sales then disregard this post for obviousness, but then the specific timings are not very important, nor is the relation to the Halo 5 release date.

That's my argument, at the very least.

It has more to do with the possibility of Sony announcing a price drop right as the holiday season gets started on the same exact day as Microsofts flagship holiday title.

At that point, it's not just a running narrative. It's all out war.

Endo Punk

I can't see Sony only cutting $50 it would actually make the eventual cut to $299 less effective. A good triple digit cut will have a far bigger impact but i don't think Sony needs to do it until the end of the fiscal year. They have great 3rd party partnerships that will carry them this year.

Servbot24

Banned
You guys are crazy if you think Sony is going to voluntarily take a $100 hit on their biggest product going into the biggest sales season.

The loss was 3.2 billion USD (afair), because of a 7.6 billion USD write-off.

Their financials are doing just fine, and they can easily afford cutting the price, if they wished.

'Only' $3.2 billion? Oh ok I'm confused.

Isn't that just a one off with the Nokia write down?

One-off or not, it is a massive hit to their balance sheet. They won't sanction more losses like the last Holiday period on top.

Top Bottom