• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

jayu26

The number that I am looking at and what makes me think $100 price cut is 38.8 million shipped by March. I don't think $50 price cut alone would be enough to reach that. I think they would need to do very aggressive bundling on top of $50 price cut, which would mean that they need to keep bundling well into 2016 to not lose perceived value next year.

That's why I was thinking that they would cut the price by $100 for the base model and make a CoD bundle and a Battlefront bundle for $350 this holiday.

The Gopher post ignores the countless Sony strategy documents that have suggested they want to maximise revenue per paying customer through add-on services like PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Vue, and so forth. You don't get a significant number of people investing in your eco-system without a gigantic install base.

I still say they turn the screw at Paris Games Week and go down to $299. It's perfect bcause they'll need to be lower before Project Morpheus, and the price drop will have a much bigger impact if they do it before Christmas than it will have in April or something. They can totally afford it, too, so why wait six months when it won't have an impact?

For the record, I think $299 will be your bog-standard 500GB solus system. I can see them doing Limited Edition bundles for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 and Star Wars: Battlefront which will be 1TB and $399.

This is my 'prediction'.

GopherD

Gopher did nothing to me, it's just that his latest hints and/or leaks were... not that correct.

Really? Next year I promise, I'll forgo my work, my wife and family, my colleagues, put my house and kids education at risk just so I can spill to you, without any shield of ambiguity, exactly what games are going to show.

And I'm done. Later GAF

Hmm... Whatever they do, I just hope it's not another tlou/gtav 500gb bundle for $399.

If it is going to stay $399, it needs to have a 1tb HDD and pack 2 new release games from this year. Like Bloodborne and Battlefront or something like that. Maybe even a year of plus on top of all that.

Chobel

Really? Next year I promise, I'll forgo my work, my wife and family, my colleagues, put my house and kids education at risk just so I can spill to you, without any shield of ambiguity, exactly what games are going to show.

And I'm done. Later GAF

Nice strawman, I didn't ask you to reveal anything, nor did I ask you to prove yourself to me.

yurinka

The number that I am looking at and what makes me think $100 price cut is 38.8 million shipped by March. I don't think $50 price cut alone would be enough to reach that. I think they would need to do very aggressive bundling on top of $50 price cut, which would mean that they need to keep bundling well into 2016 to not lose perceived value next year.

That's why I was thinking that they would cut the price by $100 for the base model and make a CoD bundle and a Battlefront bundle for $350 this holiday.
They have a great list of games to be released during and just after this period that will help them to reach 38.8M without price drop.

TBiddy

'Only' $3.2 billion? Oh ok I'm confused.

One-off or not, it is a massive hit to their balance sheet. They won't sanction more losses like the last Holiday period on top.

It's only on paper. If you remove the write-off, they made something like 5.5 billion USD in profits last quarter.

They aren't exactly making any losses. Last holiday period (Q4 14 or FY15 Q2) they made 5.8 billion USD in profits. If we assume a price of 399 USD pr. XB1, they could give away 14 millions XB1s and still make a profit.

large.jpg

Jesus that really is unbelievable.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Nice strawman, I didn't ask you to reveal anything, nor did I ask you to prove yourself to me.
I looked through his post history. The only thing for E3 he teased was so devoid of specificity you can read anything into it.

I am split on PS4 but am leaning towards a price drop this year. If not then just bundles.

Oh, there will be bundles, lot's of them. We saw a lot of interesting offers last year, and I think because of that new amazing Brack Friday Bundurus, both from MS and Sony, are a no-brainer.

But as long PS4 sells like hot cakes Sony just lacks motivation to change the recommended retail price, especially since they abandoned their "market share before anything else" strategy which characterized the PS2 era. Their new strategy is far more sustainable and should help them on the long run, a lot.

The big question of course is what happens if anyone of the two contenders reduces the price officially down to 299... If Sony does, MS will have no choice but to follow. And if MS goes first, this might also force Sony to act.

Btw, I really appreciate your efforts on regularly visualizing the global console market for everyone based on annual / quarterly results.

yazanov

Banned
price cut in the us and uk before the holidays. everywhere else...they dont really need to

This. To minimum the initial price cut hits on profits, they only need to do it in the US and UK. The rest of the world is Sony land anyways and they have it on lock down.

I would assume, of the people that didn't get Rocket League, that they either have a hard line stance against playing sports-based games or are insanely misinformed about how PS+ works.

There are also a remarkable number of people who wouldn't bother with Rocket League because it's not a big retail release.

When RL was included in the month's PS+ there were still a lot of people pulling the "Total crap month, where's <insert retail title here>?"

It amazes me that there really are people who would have preferred Knack to Rocket League. Or those who said Black Flag made Games with Gold better this month because hey, it's a retail title.

eerik9000

The Gopher post ignores the countless Sony strategy documents that have suggested they want to maximise revenue per paying customer through add-on services like PlayStation Plus, PlayStation Vue, and so forth. You don't get a significant number of people investing in your eco-system without a gigantic install base..

The Gopher post ignores the fact that the quote was about scaling down television and smartphone production, and had nothing to do with the Playstation business.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Oh, there will be bundles, lot's of them. We saw a lot of interesting offers last year, and I think because of that new amazing Brack Friday Bundurus, both from MS and Sony, are a no-brainer.

Btw, I really appreciate your efforts on regularly visualizing the global console market for everyone based on annual / quarterly results.

Yup, to clarify, i'm saying there will be bundles whether Sony drop the price or not. It's just a case of seeing whether Sony go for a price drop (with bundles as well) or if they'll just keep the price the same but bundle in more. E.g destiny limited edition.

Also thanks for the kind words.

This. To minimum the initial price cut hits on profits, they only need to do it in the US and UK. The rest of the world is Sony land anyways and they have it on lock down.

UK has already had an official price cut.

The UK is a very price conscious market.

watdaeff4

There are also a remarkable number of people who wouldn't bother with Rocket League because it's not a big retail release.

When RL was included in the month's PS+ there were still a lot of people pulling the "Total crap month, where's <insert retail title here>?"

It amazes me that there really are people who would have preferred Knack to Rocket League. Or those who said Black Flag made Games with Gold better this month because hey, it's a retail title.

I agree with everything you said but the last sentence. People are entiltled to opinions and Black Flag isn't just a retail game, it's a damn good game.

I like Rocket League, it's fun and I'm grateful it was a "free" game this month, but I am one that thinks Black Flag is a better game.
now if it was Unity, then I agree with you

BigDug13

I agree with everything you said but the last sentence. People are entiltled to opinions and Black Flag isn't just a retail game, it's a damn good game.

I like Rocket League, it's fun and I'm grateful it was a "free" game this month, but I am one that thinks Black Flag is a better game.

But every AC fan has already played it. We got Rocket League on its release day while Black Flag is approaching 2 years old. I'd rather get release day indie games for free than 2 year old retail games that have already reached indie pricing because of their age and have them to be likely games I've already played.

watdaeff4

But every AC fan has already played it. We got Rocket League on its release day while Black Flag is approaching 2 years old. I'd rather get release day indie games for free than 2 year old retail games that have already reached indie pricing because of their age and have them to be likely games I've already played.

Again, opinions and preferences. You have yours, I have mine.

RexNovis

Banned
If you have an issue with an insider's info talk to a mod. Calling them out unprovoked and publicly denigrating them is rude and frankly, in this situation in particular, completely uncalled for. Stick to the topic at hand or move on.

Chobel

And how do you know this didn't occur? There are plenty of PlayStation deals going on at E3 and probably not all of them motivated out of love of the brand.

Call of Duty just walked over to Playstation by itself did it?

I dunno, moneyhats is usually reserved for exclusive games and not exclusive DLC.

If you have an issue with an insider's info talk to a mod. Calling them out unprovoked and publicly denigrating them is rude and frankly, in this situation in particular, completely uncalled for. Stick to the topic at hand or move on.

I'm not doing that, I'm explaining why I'm not trusting them 100%. I have no doubt they works in a position to let them know many stuff we don't know.

You serious Clark?

Yes?

Chobel

OK I'll stop, I was just trying state my opinion but probably not a cool thing what I'm doing now. If anyone want to engage with me in this subject, please feel free to PM me.

"Hats made of money" is a bit specific if you ask me.

FFVII is a pretty nice hat, if you ask me.

Boyes describes the FFVII remake project as a &#8220;partnership&#8221; with Square. He&#8217;s not saying if they are helping fund it or really what the partnership entails, just that the game is that it is making its console debut on PlayStation 4 first

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sony isn't dropping ro $299.

They are finally making money again, and the PS4 remains the top seller regardless of price. This holiday season they will want to cash out. Maybe we'll get a $50 drop next E3.

Kyoufu

They are finally making money again, and the PS4 remains the top seller regardless of price. This holiday season they will want to cash out. Maybe we'll get a $50 drop next E3.

Yeah they're never going to drop price. It'll remain $399 for the entirety of this console generation.

Liking Black Flag better is besides the point. Some people will like any given game better than another. I thought Black Flag was the best AC game ever.

The point was GwG was not objectively better just because it had a retail title. I realize I did not make this clear in the original statement, sorry about that.

They'll make even more money through software licensing and PlayStation Plus subs if they get the console into as many hands as possible. I can see the argument both ways, and - for the first time in a long time - I actually feel like Sony knows what it's doing these days. But I personally think they should strike while the iron's hot, etc.

You don't want to let enthusiasm in the product taper off - ideally, you want to turn the screw while there's lots of excitement surrounding your product. Well, that's what I think anyway - I'm no entrepreneur.

watdaeff4

Liking Black Flag better is besides the point. Some people will like any given game better than another. I thought Black Flag was the best AC game ever.

The point was GwG was not objectively better just because it had a retail title. I realize I did not make this clear in the original statement, sorry about that.

Thanks for clarifying. Agree with that 100%

BigDug13

They'll make even more money through software licensing and PlayStation Plus subs if they get the console into as many hands as possible. I can see the argument both ways, and - for the first time in a long time - I actually feel like Sony knows what it's doing these days. But I personally think they should strike while the iron's hot, etc.

You don't want to let enthusiasm in the product taper off - ideally, you want to turn the screw while there's lots of excitement surrounding your product. Well, that's what I think anyway - I'm no entrepreneur.

The question they will have to ask is this. What percentage of product will sit on store shelves unsold this holiday at $399. If the store shelves will be nearly empty of every console they produce, then keep the price the same. If they have enough supply to sell way more than those projections, then maybe they make more by getting more gamers into their ecosystem at a lower price point. But if they're going to be selling through most of their produced consoles at the $399 price, then it does them no benefit to lower the price because they won't have that supply to cover that demand spike.

Can PS4 production keep up with the demand they will have at $299 when their WW demand has been so ridiculous and consistent at $399?

From what I see Sony is targeting 60 billion yen operating profit for Playstation division this year. If they managed to hit such a targets, this year is positioned to be the division's best year since the early 2000s when they were making about 100 billion yen profit a year. Kaz previously said the PS4 could hit the hights of the PS2 profit, this actually doesn't seems that far fetched now.

After that Destiny LE bundle at $399 ( that could've easily been a $449 and we've been none the wiser ), regardless of what Sony's plans are, I think they've set themselves up for a $50 flexibility for this holiday season.

I'm curious if they'll do any "temporary" strategy though, like MS's so-called temporary drops last holiday.

Sorc3r3r

The question they will have to ask is this. What percentage of product will sit on store shelves unsold this holiday at $399. If the store shelves will be nearly empty of every console they produce, then keep the price the same. If they have enough supply to sell way more than those projections, then maybe they make more by getting more gamers into their ecosystem at a lower price point. But if they're going to be selling through most of their produced consoles at the $399 price, then it does them no benefit to lower the price because they won't have that supply to cover that demand spike.

Can PS4 production keep up with the demand they will have at $299 when their WW demand has been so ridiculous and consistent at $399?

That's an interesting prospective.

I don't know how the warehouse, retail work so is it a legit lecture of the coming things?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
After that Destiny LE bundle at $399 ( that could've easily been a $449 and we've been none the wiser ), regardless of what Sony's plans are, I think they've set themselves up for a $50 flexibility for this holiday season.

I'm curious if they'll do any "temporary" strategy though, like MS's so-called temporary drops last holiday.

They will not do a temporary cut. That blunder also did not last long for MSFT.

Chobel

Also, apologies to GopherD, I could have handled this better. And sorry guys for derailing the thread, I won't let that happen again.

yazanov

Banned

They need to maintain the momentum by doing a price cut though. Economic 101.

I think most great minds agree that a price cut is no doubt happening this year. The only question is that by how much will it drop? $50 or $100?

Rolf NB

Well I'm glad we can both agree on that.

Well that makes more sense. But that's not what you wrote. You said you doubt "it" would make any difference. You never specified what you meant by it. The logical assumption there would be that "it" refers to the topic of both posts: a price cut. It would behoove you to be more specific when expressing your "thoughts" to others.
Why are you trying to murder juniors in their cradles Rex?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There is no need to drop the price of the Sony GODstation 4. They simply need to bundle it with a copy of GAME OF THE YEAR: THE ORDER 1886 and RAISE the price. Sales will explode. The LIGHT OF ANNIHILATION will shine on all and cleanse them of unholy predilections including FAVORABILITY TO BORDERLANDS and DIARRHEA.

Abdiel

There is no need to drop the price of the Sony GODstation 4. They simply need to bundle it with a copy of GAME OF THE YEAR: THE ORDER 1886 and RAISE the price. Sales will explode. The LIGHT OF ANNIHILATION will shine on all and cleanse them of unholy predilections including FAVORABILITY TO BORDERLANDS and DIARRHEA.

Kev, you crack me up, hahaha.

Stanng243

I liked the Order and I like Borderlands. So i guess I'm down with a little unholiness.

Jigolo

Pretty disgusting behavior of you, Chobel.

Dude has brought nothing to this place but wicked cryptic posts, hype, tears, fun, and a little insight on what Sony has to offer and you're just gonna call a guy out like that? Grow up

Miss u goph ;)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Dude has brought nothing to this place but wicked cryptic posts, hype, tears, fun, and a little insight on what Sony has to offer and you're just gonna call a guy out like that? Grow up

Miss u goph ;)
Your post is way worse than what Chobel said.

miss u diarrhea

g0dofwar

Banned

RAISE the price works for me, GODstation 4 is a valuable product. Price cuts are only for the inferior products.

RexNovis

Banned

These are all good points. I do think we will still see a price drop this holiday but you make an excellent argument as to why it might not be necessary. The question is will holiday stick sell through (in the U.S. And UK) this year like it was able to last year in the face of MS blockbusters and subsidies if it does not drop its price. I'm honestly not sure it would.

Why are you trying to murder juniors in their cradles Rex?

Naw man. They do that themselves I just supply the rope ;-)

Miss u goph ;)

Really? At least Chobel's had the maturity to apologize. You on the other hand are acting like a petulant child. Shame on you.

Top Bottom