• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2015 Q1 (PS4: 3.0m shipped) PS4 total = 25.3m shipped worldwide

There is no need to drop the price of the Sony GODstation 4. They simply need to bundle it with a copy of GAME OF THE YEAR: THE ORDER 1886 and RAISE the price. Sales will explode. The LIGHT OF ANNIHILATION will shine on all and cleanse them of unholy predilections including FAVORABILITY TO BORDERLANDS and DIARRHEA.

You forgot knack. How could you? You were the chosen one. I'll start my own Sony sect. We will partake of the pleasures of Knack, the Club of Driving, and remastered titles of yesteryear. Come in your best regalia my friends. We will bathe in RPGs while the masses complain about our clouds. When they tell UA that we have no games, we will all start a different one and say "we can't hear you, all of this fun I'm having playing this game must be too loud."

You must pay a tithe of a PS+ subscription or an embarrassing gaming related tattoo. Sorry, that's just how it is

These are all good points. I do think we will still see a price drop this holiday but you make an excellent argument as to why it might not be necessary. The question is will holiday stick sell through (in the U.S. And UK) this year like it was able to last year in the face of MS blockbusters and subsidies if it does not drop its price. I'm honestly not sure it would.

Naw man. They do that themselves I just supply the rope ;-)

Oh hai Rex, you're back.

Javin98

Banned
Actually, after what Gopher said, I'm actually starting to see a price drop to $349 being a possibility. I know I've always insisted that a $50 price cut wouldn't make much of a difference, but after some well thought considerations, it might happen. However, if Sony only drops the price to $349, I expect more aggressive bundling during the holiday season. Either way, I'm still seeing a price drop to $299 being more possible.

That explains why my PS4 is so loud now. It's so much fun!

Well I usually just blame whatever mix tape I have playing while I'm murdering souls in Helldivers, but that's another story for another time.

Will you be signing up? We have fantastic parties and community socials.

Actually, after what Gopher said, I'm actually starting to see a price drop to $349 being a possibility. I know I've always insisted that a $50 price cut wouldn't make much of a difference, but after some well thought considerations, it might happen. However, if Sony only drops the price to $349, I expect more aggressive bundling during the holiday season. Either way, I'm still seeing a price drop to $299 being more possible.

Well it always comes down to value .
A $50 price cut is not bad and if sony does the bundle with a physical game people can trade it in also .
A bundle like that would have better value than one with a download code .

If Sony is smart they will do 2 LE Star Wars PS4s

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You forgot knack. How could you? You were the chosen one. I'll start my own Sony sect. We will partake of the pleasures of Knack, the Club of Driving, and remastered titles of yesteryear. Come in your best regalia my friends. We will bathe in RPGs while the masses complain about our clouds. When they tell UA that we have no games, we will all start a different one and say "we can't hear you, all of this fun I'm having playing this game must be too loud."

You must pay a tithe of a PS+ subscription or an embarrassing gaming related tattoo. Sorry, that's just how it is

images

yazanov

Banned

$100 price drop in US, UK, and Japan. $50 everywhere else.

Is the Paris Game Show on the same day that Halo 5 releases? If they drop the price by 100$ in that day -_-

I believe they will definitely cut it by 50$

yazanov said:
$100 price drop in US, UK, and Japan. $50 everywhere else.
Doesn't make much sense IMO, as you're pissing off the markets where you dominate.

RexNovis said:
If you have an issue with an insider's info talk to a mod. Calling them out unprovoked and publicly denigrating them is rude and frankly, in this situation in particular, completely uncalled for. Stick to the topic at hand or move on.
I don't see what's wrong with insiders being called out, especially with so many of them being completely wrong on many occasions. It's hard for Goph to be wrong, he says incredibly vague things that could be taken in so many ways.

Is the Paris Game Show on the same day that Halo 5 releases? If they drop the price by 100$ in that day -_-

I believe they will definitely cut it by 50$

Doesn't make much sense IMO, as you're pissing off the markets where you dominate.
Paris Games Week stars the 28th of October, Halo 5 is the 27th. I don't know when Sony is doing their conference, maybe it could be the 27th.

RexNovis

Banned
A $50 price cut is not bad and if sony does the bundle with a physical game people can trade it in also .

I'm actually really excited to see what sort of design they go for with the inevitable LE Star Wars bundle. If it's good I might pick one up since I'm sure they'll be readily available here.

As far as your main point goes, I agree. But I also think they might sweeten the deal further than just a bundled game should they only do a $50 drop. We might start seeing PS+ vouchers or perhaps they will take a play from MS' book and offer an additional free game of your choice during the holidays.

This is gonna be a really fun holiday to speculate on and parse from a sales perspective. There are a lot of possibilities for both MS and Sony and it'll be fascinating to see what beach decides to do.

Oh hai Rex, you're back.

Indeed I am

It's good to be back.

Paris Games Week stars the 28th of October, Halo 5 is the 27th. I don't know when Sony is doing their conference, maybe it could be the 27th.

The conference won't be on the 28th. It'll definitely be earlier than that.

Sony's conferences have always been before the event that it's coinciding with. Not during.

Javin98

Banned
You mean that quote about smartphones and televisions that was not related to Playstation at all?
Dude, calm down. Gopher himself already explained that while the quote was taken from a statement for smartphones and televisions, it can also be used for other sections of the company. Also, I'm not using his quote as proof that the PS4 will only have a price drop to $349. I still think it will have a price drop to $299.

Yeah, if Sony were smart, they would really have aggressive bundles for Star Wars Battlefront. I can't even imagine the hype for Episode VII this holiday season.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
UK has already had an official price cut.

The UK is a very price conscious market.

Proper, proper price cut - or just an adjustment due to the current Yen:GBP exchange rate? Currently on a ten year high so Sony could probably adjust the UK PS4 price down and still be making more money on it.

RexNovis

Banned
I don't see what's wrong with insiders being called out, especially with so many of them being completely wrong on many occasions. It's hard for Goph to be wrong, he says incredibly vague things that could be taken in so many ways.

There's a reason most insiders are vague. They take a risk posting information here. Of course it's fine to question the validity of their info. But if your suspicions of the veracity of their claims does not give you license attack them. It is a petty thing to do. If you have legitimate concerns about the contributions of an insider the best course of action is to contact a mod. Let them handle the situation and confront them if necessary. Anything else is just pointless grandstanding.

TomShoe

Banned
These are all good points. I do think we will still see a price drop this holiday but you make an excellent argument as to why it might not be necessary. The question is will holiday stick sell through (in the U.S. And UK) this year like it was able to last year in the face of MS blockbusters and subsidies if it does not drop its price. I'm honestly not sure it would.

This is just my observation, but Sony tended to stock retail stores pretty conservatively last holiday. While the majority of the stores in my area tended to sell out, many stores had a higher initial stock of Xbox Ones compared to PS4s, and they sold out of those faster as well. Sony's strategy seemed to be in direct contrast to Microsoft. They sent out AC Bundles en masse, and received the brunt of retailer discounts because of it, as retailers wanted to clear out as much stock as possible as what was left over may not sell later on. I also expect MS to be more conservative with any official subsidies this year. Any blockbuster is more likely to be retailer-specific.

I feel that it's not about the price itself, it's about maintaining price parity with the competition. In the eyes of the average consumer, Xbox has two main selling points over PlayStation right now, and those are price, and Halo. I don't expect Microsoft to lower the limbo bar yet again, as the $349 price just became official last month, and their biggest money-making franchise comes out this year. Sony holds almost all the advantages at this point. I believe if they drop the price at all, it'll be $50 at most, just to take away one of those big marketing points. If a consumer isn't a Halo fan or has friends that own Xbox Ones, then the choice becomes a lot easier.

You mean that quote about smartphones and televisions that was not related to Playstation at all?

Why are people still being obstinate about this? He already clarified that the statement applies to any type of low-margin consumer hardware, a category that game consoles fall into. Sony could drop the price to $99 if they wanted to, and PS4s would be flying off the shelves. However they want to maintain a stable profit for now, and cutting the margin off your products is risky at this point, especially for a company that's only recently started turning the corner like Sony has.

There's a reason most insiders are vague. They take a risk posting information here. Of course it's fine to question the validity of their info. But if your suspicions of the veracity of their claims does not give you license attack them. It is a petty thing to do. If you have legitimate concerns about the contributions of an insider the best course of action is to contact a mod. Let them handle the situation and confront them if necessary. Anything else is just pointless grandstanding.
I disagree. Unless someone is being incredibly rude, it's totally fine for someone to come out and state that he's not buying what incredibly vague statement an insider is cooking. Not everyone needs to spazz out when an insider comes and says one word that means nothing. I'll stick with Verendus as the only consistent insider, we can actually point out if he's wrong with his predictions unlike most insiders that always leave an exit strategy if they have a nice guess or hear whispers in the air. We don`t all need to think or agree on everything.

yazanov

Banned

If you're and insider and afraid of being caught leaking information then why post here and do it in the first place? Just for Internet fame?

Either go hard and all the way or go home :)

Being extremely vague benefits no one IMO. Better just keep your mouth shut.

Javin98

Banned
I feel that it's not about the price itself, it's about maintaining price parity with the competition. In the eyes of the average consumer, Xbox has two main selling points over PlayStation right now, and those are price, and Halo. I don't expect Microsoft to lower the limbo bar yet again, as the $349 price just became official last month, and their biggest money-making franchise comes out this year. Sony holds almost all the advantages at this point. I believe if they drop the price at all, it'll be $50 at most, just to take away one of those big marketing points. If a consumer isn't a Halo fan or has friends that own Xbox Ones, then the choice becomes a lot easier.
Agreed. One of the reasons I now see a price drop to $349 being possible is because some people expect the XB1 to remain at the same price as well, albeit with some really aggressive bundles. It's hard to imagine the PS4 being cheaper than the XB1 this holiday season tbh.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People should not get hyped for PGW IMO. Sony backed out of games com b/c it was too lavish a production and they are maximizing profitability. And they're basically running up the score in Europe and Microsoft is like sucking wind. So Microsoft will talk more about tomb raider b/c they think europeans are going to buy their machine and they will spend money on marketing or whatever and Sony will show up at PGW with an old trailer for Uncharted 4 and some indies. I'm mostly serious.

Blanquito

If you're and insider and afraid of being caught leaking information then why post here and do it in the first place? Just for Internet fame?

Yes, great idea.

By chance, you you have a job? Please tell us all of your job's confidential info. I'm dying to know... And if that gets you fired, well, too bad.

People should not get hyped for PGW IMO. Sony backed out of games com b/c it was too lavish a production and they are maximizing profitability. And they're basically running up the score in Europe and Microsoft is like sucking wind. So Microsoft will talk more about tomb raider b/c they think europeans are going to buy their machine and they will spend money on marketing or whatever and Sony will show up at PGW with an old trailer for Uncharted 4 and some indies. I'm mostly serious.

I come here for your prosperity preaching and instead you decide to tell me about the wrath to come. My defection is now final.

Kyoufu

I don't believe you.

I am also pretty sure they will reveal the new QD game.

They`ve already confirmed Dreams will have a longer showing at PGS. Price cut is also coming. QD was said to be announced at E3 but it didn`t happen several months back and it`s in Paris. That`s just the certainties.

When David Cage walks out on stage, you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Y2Kev

Oh great. David Cage on stage to bring out the rage so craz it will break a gauge from fans with no courage so fierce we will get sent back to the stone age

Y2Kev

A price drop is not something to be hyped about, especially if you already have a ps4. Only if you want 10 PS4s, like I have, should you care.

yazanov

Banned
Yes, great idea.

By chance, you you have a job? Please tell us all of your job's confidential info. I'm dying to know... And if that gets you fired, well, too bad.

My point is that those so called industry insiders are volunteering to spill information on their own. No one is forcing them to do so. But being extremely vague about the so called inside information benefits no one because it's non information and only fits to elevator their interest fame. Vague gibberish information is useless.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
A price drop is not something to be hyped about, especially if you already have a ps4. Only if you want 10 PS4s, like I have, should you care.
I'm excited for any event for any reason I feel like.

I personally want them to announce studio closures to increase profitability.

PGW will be where Sony announces the exclusive rights to all Lightning DLC going forward. FFXV and KH3 will finally be the games they were meant to be

This is why we can't have a nice thing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Thoughout the history of the hobby I can't think of a single instance where the best performing console shed $100 off the msrp, as its first price drop.

It makes absolutely no sense.

I only care if it means one of my best friends buys the PS4, assuming his girlfriend finally lets him. -_- Either way you are downplaying it too much IMO. Plenty of unnannounced games and price cut, U4 MP reveal, QD new IP, 5-10 min Dreams presentation and a new indie like Rime being announced would make it a B- showing for a non E3 event. I expect all but the last to happen
and hope another big IP like Bend's game gets revealed as well, or GT7
ShinUltramanJ said:
Thoughout the history of the hobby I can't think of a single instance where the best performing console shed $100 off the msrp, as its first price drop.

It makes absolutely no sense.
You should look at the best selling console of all time as reference.

I'm always looking forward to David Cage's next game, because I like new IPs, and it's always interesting to see how he tackles the next approach for storytelling in games.

Top Bottom