• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Livestream: Game and Network Services Segment

Radical_3d

You’re reading too much into a graph that even you yourself can’t even comprehend. Let me give you a hint, there are two other studios also doing single player narrative games.
Really? What part do you think I got wrong? You can see the “traditional” games being lay out in front of you by just looking at it:
- Astro (great! But not a big development)
- Insomiac is completely leaked.
- GoW: cinematic version 3.
- Open world Japanese guys 2.
- Druckman’s ego project 4.
And that’s it. The company that had the most diverse first party lineup in the PS3 have lost it in two generations. Then you have the partner studios.
- Firesprite surely with something VR.
- Housemarque making Returnal 2 if they’re lucky and get that budget again.
And the rest is adding support to other studios or making ports to sell 700.000 units on Steam (thanks Jimbo!!).

So, what part did I got wrong? What fantastic project do I have to be hyped for?

EDIT: And the staff from FireSprite had worked on WipeOut and Motorstorm.
But FS aren’t making those. They make little projects, so probably another VR experience like Horizon Call of the Mountain.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
God hulst stop. I can only feel so much pride and accomplishment
Animated GIF
Animated GIF
Sexy Halloween GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Only 5 internal studios are doing traditional games. The rest is either externalised, GaaS (thanks Jimbo) or whatever the eff means evolving that I guess is that they are introducing GaaS elements in the traditional games. There is no Japan Studio doing weird thing. Asobi is little so don’t expect anything big. ND is ok, I guess, but Hennig is no longer there and I’ve played Druckman’s game several times already and it’s getting old and I suspect that Hennig is out because is the one that tried to stop his massive ego. All cinematic or open world games that is what is working. No Wipeout, no MotorStorm, no Gravity Rush, no Fumigo Ueda game, no Jenova Chen game. I know that what Sony is doing now is massively popular but that’s no longer for me.

On the Xbox side of things I’m already prepared for my SX to be a Classic and 360 4K HDR player of the games that made me love the brand.

So I’ll have my PS5 Pro for the thirds and all but I know that I no longer have to expect anything of the hardware companies.
Please familiarize yourself with this and stop spreading a lie already proven(by the original author) to have been nothing but ambulance chasing bullshit.

Loomy

They were part of SIE. Not PS Studios. They didn't answer to the head of PS Studios. This would be a pretty substantial change if they're now under PS Studios. It would mean they lost the autonomy they had.
PS Studios used to be called Worldwide Studios and has always been a division within SIE. They changed the name in 2020.

SIE is the name of the videogame business within Sony. Every first party studio is owned by SIE, and reports to whoever the head of Worldwide Studios - now PS Studios - is. Bungie is no different from Insomniac, Naughty Dog, SuckerPunch, etc in that regard. The only difference is Bungie stated that they'll still publish their own games, but they also in some places highlighted that they'll publish games in the Destiny Universe, so who knows what that really means for future games.

nial

Gold Member
Herman Hulst says they want at least one "tentpole" game each holiday season.

5D8wKbM.png
2020: PS5 launch
2021: Nothing, sadly (only Death Stranding Director's Cut around that time)
2022: God of War Ragnarök
2023: Spider-Man 2
2024: Astro Bot?

Varteras

Gold Member
PS Studios used to be called Worldwide Studios and has always been a division within SIE. They changed the name in 2020.

SIE is the name of the videogame business within Sony. Every first party studio is owned by SIE, and reports to whoever the head of Worldwide Studios - now PS Studios - is. Bungie is no different from Insomniac, Naughty Dog, SuckerPunch, etc in that regard. The only difference is Bungie stated that they'll still publish their own games, but they also in some places highlighted that they'll publish games in the Destiny Universe, so who knows what that really means for future games.

That's not accurate. Bungie is not currently part of PS Studios. It has been allowed to act with a level of autonomy. Even having its own board of directors, of which Hermen Hulst, the former head of PS Studios, was a part of. Recent financial issues with Bungie have threatened its autonomy. Their agreement with Sony is that they must meet certain financial goals. If they don't, SIE can take over its board and remove Bungie's autonomy. Bungie isn't even listed on the PS Studios website. Which was updated well after the acquisition of Bungie.

nial

Gold Member
I can't help myself, BUT the change did not happen until April 2021; Returnal (went gold on March 2021) still credited SIE Worldwide Studios, while Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (went gold on May 2021) was the first game to ever credit PlayStation Studios.

Topher

Gold Member
Herman Hulst just doubled down on their strategy of live service games being on PC day one while single player games will be more strategic with the goal of expanding the PlayStation ecosystem by bringing gamers to PS consoles.

We can forget about day one single player games day one on PC. It ain't happening any time soon.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm actually really curious how Sony handles Destiny 2 post Final Shape launch. I feel like they will push for a Destiny 3 at some point to keep it going.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I don’t know if they have had time to make something but if they did it’ll be a VR game or a small digital only game.
I doubt we’ll hear anything, they recently canned Twisted Metal. They might be making the next Uncharted game, but we won’t hear about that tomorrow.

Insteresting Hermen Hulst said that the PC porting strategy for their single players games is to bring people over from PC to PS5 for sequels of these franchises.

For the moment they are clearly not insterested to release day one these games on PC.

Herman Hulst just doubled down on their strategy of live service games being on PC day one while single player games will be more strategic with the goal of expanding the PlayStation ecosystem by bringing gamers to PS consoles.

We can forget about day one single player games day one on PC. It ain't happening any time soon.

地獄だぜ、PCゲームする野郎どもをくたばれ。ウープウープ

Radical_3d

I doubt we’ll hear anything, they recently canned Twisted Metal. They might be making the next Uncharted game, but we won’t hear about that tomorrow.
Giving Uncharted to the guys of The Persistence would be a new low for SIE. So you’re probably right.

Loomy

I can't help myself, BUT the change did not happen until April 2021; Returnal (went gold on March 2021) still credited SIE Worldwide Studios, while Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (went gold on May 2021) was the first game to ever credit PlayStation Studios.
I also hate to be THAT guy, but it was announced in May 2020. You are right in that it didn’t start showing up until later though.

It will happen by the end of this generation, mark my words :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

"We're looking at 1 tentpole release per year"

LMAO they're going to run out of SP games to port.... what do you think is going to happen after that? ;)

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Has Totoki-san showed up? Not watching the livestream, but I know that he's still CEO of SIE Group right now.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Glad to see GT plastered all over this presentation. Track-based sinmcades of these scale is a dying breed.

Other slides are kinda obvious if you follow the news, but should temper MUH SONY IS ALL GAAS crowd (they won’t but still).

Nice to see some transparency from a platform holder for a change too. Especially with subscription service data.

Loomy

I wouldn't say that. Looks to me like the core single player studios are going to be dedicated to single player games. That's a good thing.
I think that slide is going to be a cause of concern for people looking at it without additional context. But yeah, most if their studios are working on single player games.

So much revenue and somehow they can't decrease the price of the PS5 after 3+ years in the market.
The BOM cost is still too high, so they can't give a permanent price cut right now; otherwise, they'll be selling the PS5 at a loss. And while the revenue was up, the profit was down for FY22 and FY23 compared to FY21, mainly due to acquisition related expenses (e.g., Bungie). That said, they'll strategically implement price cuts when they need to move more volume, such as during days of play which is happening right now or during holidays, etc., but it will probably take another year before they'll be doing a permanent price drop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom