• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Livestream: Game and Network Services Segment

It was from the Insomanic leaks.
XpGATBv.jpg
Is that like a DLC or something? A $50 stand alone Spider-Man game?

So is that what they're going to do? Just break off chunks of these games and make new games out of them to stretch them as far as they can?

I dunno boys..

demigod

Yeah, same here. I really don't have a problem with Sony expanding into live service as long as doesn't impact the single player games which are the very reason why I buy PlayStation. This presentation gave me more assurance that there is separation in those two segments of gaming at PlayStation. But better communication is most welcome.

Now......show me some gotdang games tomorrow so I can stop bitching and @Ass of Can Whooping will stop calling me a cunt
Calm down broski, you will get the games tomorrow. Leaked games in spoiler.

cunt

Last edited:
I mean....doesn't matter what anyone "believes". No one can answer that question. All we can do is speculate until tomorrow. Hopefully we know something then.

Why would anyone be desperate for single player games this year? There have been plenty.
Let's not act like Sony fans aren't thirsty as fuck for a first party SP game this year... These guys are literally begging to know what's up with Sony's studios and they've been blaming everything from Sony diverting some of their attention to PC to the live service shit as reasons why Sony's first party has been dry with no news for the last while.

Topher

Gold Member
Let's not act like Sony fans aren't thirsty as fuck for a first party SP game this year... These guys are literally begging to know what's up with Sony's studios and they've been blaming everything from Sony diverting some of their attention to PC to the live service shit as reasons why Sony's first party has been dry with no news for the last while.

Eh.......ok? Why do you care? You are not even a PlayStation fan are you?

Last edited:
Eh.......ok? Why do you care? You are not even a PlayStation fan are you?
I'm a fan of games. Playstation are just like any other 3rd party publisher out there to me. Make good games, and release them where I play, and I'll buy them. I'm certainly not buying a PS5 to play their 1 or 2 games per year though.

That doesn't change the fact that I see what their fanbase act like. They're antsy right now. They don't know what their studios are doing.. and the only thing Sony released last year of note was SM2... The last showcase they had was a huge disappointment, because while they were expecting SP announcements from their key studios.. they got a bunch of live service games and SM2 lol.

SM2 came out 6 months ago. In terms of exclusives, 2024 has been Playstation's best year in ages. FF7 Rebirth, HD2, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin. If Concord and Astrobot land well, it will be the most diverse year since I can remember.

The news is dry for big franchise titles because development takes a long time and Sony no longer announces 1st party games that are years out. It has very little to with their live service initiative

tmlDan

I'm a fan of games. Playstation are just like any other 3rd party publisher out there to me. Make good games, and release them where I play, and I'll buy them. I'm certainly not buying a PS5 to play their 1 or 2 games per year though.

That doesn't change the fact that I see what their fanbase act like. They're antsy right now. They don't know what their studios are doing.. and the only thing Sony released last year of note was SM2... The last showcase they had was a huge disappointment, because while they were expecting SP announcements from their key studios.. they got a bunch of live service games and SM2 lol.
im not anxious/antsy at all, im eating good - sincerely, a PS fan

Last edited:

GHG

Projection.

The so called "antsy" bunch have been able to enjoy rise of the ronin, stellar blade and FF rebirth recently.

Meanwhile you're just waiting and complaining. So who is the antsy one again?

Topher

Gold Member

I don't think you are really talking about the majority of the PS fanbase. Up to this point, most PS fans I talk to are fine with their output. Sounds like you are talking about folks like me. I'm the antsy one wondering why we haven't had a decent showcase since 2021. And yeah, I'm going to be looking hard at the show tomorrow for some indication of what is to come. But I come from a standpoint of wanting more kickass PlayStation games.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member

MV5BMTdkOGJkNzEtMjg1OS00MjVlLThmYTktMzZkOTI3NWIwOTA3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDcwNDI2MTk@._V1_.jpg

We just got a good indication of what type of games their studios are working on and GAAS GAAS GAAS isn't going to kill their single-player story driven games on the PlayStation consoles. Looks like good news to me.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Forgot that Bungie could show more Marathon at the event.

One of my most anticipated games.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Forgot that Bungie could show more Marathon at the event.

One of my most anticipated games.
If you're talking about the State of Play tomorrow, then I doubt it. Bungie is not going to show Marathon a week before The Last Shape expansion comes out.

Earliest we hear about Marathon is probably July(Bungie day), but I'm guessing it's more likely going to be later in the year and they're also going to announce the beta for it at the same time.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
GOx9NKXWMAAdlzE

16.8 - 17.5 million Extra\Premium subscribers.

That's 6.2 - 7.5 million fewer subscribers than Game Pass (excluding core users).

PlayStation Plus is the more efficient service. They didn't have to release games day and date to achieve this goal.

bitbydeath

Gold Member

Sony have already released 4 huge well received games this year, only Nintendo is up there with them in terms of gaming output. Great if you enjoy other third party publishers though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
GOx9NKXWMAAdlzE

That's 6.2 - 7.5 million fewer subscribers than Game Pass (excluding core users).

PlayStation Plus is the more efficient service. They didn't have to release games day and date to achieve this goal.
The opposite is true.

PS+ is a terribly inefficient service.

It maxed out at under 50M users across PS4 120M user base and PS5 (there will be overlap of users, so 120M total users is a decent peg). It's trended a bit lower and now they dont even state PS+ subs anymore for a year anymore. Assuming there's 45M PS+ subs, you got maybe 15M medium/top tier subbers. That's it across over 100M PS gamers.

Xbox last gen had maybe 50M users, this gen console sales are trending much lower and Xbox has about 33M GP (excluding base/Gold plans). In 2020, GP was already at 15M across a much smaller base.

Last edited:

Seyken

The opposite is true.

It maxed out at under 50M users across PS4 120M user base and PS5 (there will be overlap of users, so 120M total users is a decent peg). It's trended a bit lower and now they dont even state PS+ subs anymore for a year anymore. Assuming there's 45M PS+ subs, you got maybe 15M medium/top tier subbers. That's it across over 100M PS gamers.

Xbox last gen had maybe 50M users, this gen console sales are trending much lower and Xbox has about 33M GP (excluding base/Gold plans). In 2020, GP was already at 15M across a much smaller base.

You're not factoring the most important part of the equation: how much each side spent to get to where they are - their profit margins.

Game Pass is a MUCH more aggressive subscription service that surely costs a ton more to maintain and grow because of all the day one releases, both from 1st party games where you are forgoing game sales (which is a lot of money) and 3rd party, where you have to pay a hefty sum to the developer in order to get that game under the GP umbrella day one.

To sum it up, PS Plus is managing to grow profits while holding on to a stable subscriber number. Game Pass is neither growing the sub number nor is profitable.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're not factoring the most important part of the equation: how much each side spent to get to where they are - their profit margins.

Game Pass is a MUCH more aggressive subscription service that surely costs a ton more to maintain and grow because of all the day one releases, both from 1st party games where you are forgoing game sales (which is a lot of money) and 3rd party, where you have to pay a hefty sum to the developer in order to get that game under the GP umbrella day one.

To sum it up, PS Plus is managing to grow profits while holding on to a stable subscriber number. Game Pass is neither growing the sub number nor is profitable.
Nobody knows what the profits are for sub plans. Also, before Sony stopped stating PS+ count, the count was actually trending flat for 3 years.

Sony's gaming division profits have actually gone down since key covid bump year. But even if you exclude that lucky year which a lot of tech companies for a short term bump in sales with people at home, it's roughly $2B/yr profits since 2017.

Last edited:
- No PC day and date releases for their single player games.

- Their margins are great.

- They are making record profit

- Playstation and Playstation peripherals/services are the focus of growth for them

This totally shits on the false narratives we've been seeing from a lot of people here and the gaming media. People have been trying to push Microsoft's problems with Xbox to Playstation. Phil Spencer the clown has been deflecting from the poor way he's been running Xbox to say that it's an industry problem as to why Xbox is failing. Media pundits jumped on this lie and started proclaiming the false death of consoles, how #SonyToo was struggling to make ends meet like MS, and how they would be following MS' lead to do day and date PC releases.

Shows how much of the gaming media and social media just eat up the lies of Phil Spencer. Phil has been gaslighting these fools and literally destroying the Xbox business for years and no one bothered to check him on it. They kept parroting his lies to the point they completely ignored reality around them, and now they are struggling to make sense of it all.

Playstation is doing better than ever, Nintendo are doing better than ever, and even Valve is doing better than ever following their business strategies they've been following for years. Only one platform is doing terrible and it's the platform that keeps switching its strategy every couple of months because it's run by incompetent people that don't have a fucking clue what gamers want.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The opposite is true.

Now compare the cost of running both. It's not Sony who's dumping AAA titles day-one and decided to dump the biggest earner in the industry to fuel the numbers. Actually, they've sold 11m copies of their recent AAA game at a full price.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
- No PC day and date releases.

- Their margins are great.

- They are making record profit

- Playstation and Playstation peripherals/services are the focus of growth for them

This totally shits on the false narratives we've been seeing from a lot of people here and the gaming media. People have been trying to push Microsoft's problems with Xbox to Playstation. Phil Spencer the clown has been deflecting from the poor way he;s been running Xbox to say that it's an industry problem as to why Xbox is failing. Media pundits jumped on this lie and started proclaiming the false death of consoles, how #SonyToo was struggling to make ends meet like MS, and how they would be following MS' lead to do day and date PC releases.

Shows how much of the gaming media and social media just eat up the lies of Phil Spencer. Phil has been gaslighting these fools and literally destroying the Xbox business for years and no one bothered to check him on it. They kept parroting his lies to the point they completely ignored reality around them, and now they are struggling to make sense of it all.

Playstation is doing better than ever, Nintendo are doing better than ever, and even Valve is doing better than ever following their business strategies they've been following for years. Only one platform is doing terrible and it's the platform that keeps switching its strategy every couple of months because it's run by incompetent people that don't have a fucking clue what gamers want.
Record profit was 2020 or 2021 at $3B. Excluding that covid bump year, the division makes about $2B/yr since 2017 (flat) and the past few years division margins are at lows of 6%, while the previous 4 years were 13%. Top line is growing great. Profits arent.

And it's not all about Bungie acquisition costs (only partial factor), since even if the entire $3.5B Bungie buyout was some reason counted as an expense (it wouldnt anyway), margins would still not come close to 13%.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The opposite is true.

Microsoft sacrificed millions in retail sales this past year just to maintain a subscriber count with no growth. That's not efficient at all. Sony is actually growing in Premium\Extra subscribers by releasing old games and video game trials. That's more efficient.

demigod

The opposite is true.

33M GP, lol. You guys love inflating numbers.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
33M GP, lol. You guys love inflating numbers.
I'm just taking it from this.

“We’re seeing slowing adoption of Xbox Game Pass even though Microsoft will claim otherwise thanks to the repositioning of Xbox Live Gold as Xbox Game Pass Core,” McWhirter says. “Our forecast estimates total Xbox Game Pass subscriptions (excluding Core/Live Gold) to be at 33.3 million at the end of 2023, which represents subscriber growth of just 13% - down from 15% in 2022. Notably, over half (55%) are currently on the device-agnostic Ultimate tier.”

yurinka

What happened to BluePoint?

denzel washington cringe GIF
They became a support team of new games after Demon's Souls. The first one was GoWR. After working on it, they should be working as support team in other new game. They don't have enough designers to lead their own AAA game and don't have enough people to have a second team.

EDIT: And the staff from FireSprite had worked on WipeOut and Motorstorm.
The senior/lead/top members of Firesprite are basically from SCE Liverpool Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations. In recent times also hired many former Supermassive games devs.

Ueda and Chen were 2nd party, which Sony uses XDev for, whom are still around today and recently made Stellar Blade and Rise of Ronin.
In fact the XDEV team who worked in Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin is their Japanese team, the one that was inside Japan Studio and now got a new office where they are growing. In the past they only handled the 2nd party games developed in Japan, they now also handle the 2nd party games developed in the whole Asia.

Now they are part of the global XDEV team, and as happened with the European and American XDEV teams, once they got their own office no longer report to a local internal development gamedev team.

Herman Hulst says they want at least one "tentpole" game each holiday season.
Nice. This one will be Concord. There's a lot of pedigree there, will be great.

Last edited:

zedinen

PS Plus is an extremely efficient, well-thought-out business model:

PS Plus revenues rose by 17% in FY23

hf14tbt.jpeg

GxIMO8b.jpeg

PS software sales rose by 24% in FY23

uqHdX9U.jpeg

Top line is growing great. Profits arent.

Sony's profit during the PS5 era has already surpassed the combined profit from 1994 to 2019.

Xnweg5m.jpeg

And the best is yet to come

19Vxu6d.jpeg

Last edited:

Seyken

Nobody knows what the profits are for sub plans. Also, before Sony stopped stating PS+ count, the count was actually trending flat for 3 years.

Sony's gaming division profits have actually gone down since key covid bump year. But even if you exclude that lucky year which a lot of tech companies for a short term bump in sales with people at home, it's roughly $2B/yr profits since 2017.

I don't have to be a math genius or an insider to know that Game Pass is a money pit. They pretty much conditioned their user base to NOT buy games.

Last year they had a CRAZY amount of BIG day one games coming to Game Pass. That is expensive as FUCK, specially when you don't have the weight of being the biggest platform holder behind you helping you get better deals because of the exposure and overall leverage.

They are for absolutely fucking sure paying a crazy amount of money for those games. It's becoming increasingly clear that if you don't release your games on Game Pass, said game becomes a flop sales wise on the Xbox. What that means is when Microsoft is cutting a developer a deal for Game Pass, they are pretty much agreeing to pay for both the catalogue rights and the dev cost of the Xbox version.

If they didn't do that, I'm pretty sure a lot of these devs would be fine with not releasing a Xbox version at launch and waiting for maybe another opportunity, since it wouldn't be a big piece of the sales pie. Microsoft is essentially having to bribe devs to get games on their platform. Do you understand how dire that situation truly is?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GOx9NKXWMAAdlzE

How many Game Pass Core subs do you think there is? I thought there was only 5 million?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Undeniably a pretty sensible strategy. Keep pumping out single player exclusives to sell your console, while also feeding the multiplayer market on console and PC. Still,think they’re going to regret the ongoing heavy reliance on GaaS, but other than that, sensible.

Why is it so damned hard for Xbox to do the same thing?

Perrott

Lol at Until Dawn being a world class franchise. Are they making a sequel or just a one a done remake and the movie and call it job done, world class franchise has performed in all its metrics.
Yes, Firesprite's Project Heartbreak (dark narrative adventure game with a branching storyline, set in contemporary times on an island and based on an existing Sony franchise) is 99% an Until Dawn sequel. That's why they're bringing back the IP with the remake and why a movie adaptation is on the way, in order to capitalize on all these new developments on the games front.

tmlDan

Yes, Firesprite's Project Heartbreak (dark narrative adventure game with a branching storyline, set in contemporary times on an island and based on an existing Sony franchise) is 99% an Until Dawn sequel. That's why they're bringing back the IP with the remake and why a movie adaptation is on the way, in order to capitalize on all these new developments on the games front.
I hope you're right cause i loved until dawn, none of the games in the same genre/studio were even close to as good as it was

Is that like a DLC or something? A $50 stand alone Spider-Man game?

So is that what they're going to do? Just break off chunks of these games and make new games out of them to stretch them as far as they can?

I dunno boys..

Hopefully. Hope more studios start doing this. Getting really tired of these 40 hours games. A nice tight short story is plenty for these games.

Top Bottom