• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Livestream: Game and Network Services Segment

sachos

Experimental opportunities 👀

4YIZbmL.png
"Experimental... with discipline ON SCOPE and BUDGET" This sounds really interesting. Smaller games incoming? I think each big studio should have one or two small teams doing weird Nintendo like shit with either new IPs or their excisting ones.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I feel more reassured after this stream, but I want more frequent communication from them tbh.
I get why they’re usually quiet until they have something to show, but yeah. There’s probably a better balance than what they have right now.

I think that will come with a better release cadence. If they ever get there.

No day-and-date PC release for singleplayer games.

Goal is to get PC gamers over to PS5 for Sequels to current slate released on PC.

First point excellent, no reason to kill themselves like Xbox. Second point, probably won't work but even if it's 5% it's probably worth it.
"They wont come to our house so we'll go to theirs"

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Did anyone else catch the subtle dig by Nishino at (presumably) Xbox/GP earlier on? "Instead of focusing simply on subscriber count, we're focused on dollar spend/profit for PSN base"

Radical_3d

The part about Housemarque and Firesprite being "partner studios". They're under the single player narrative banner.
That is true but it doesn’t excite me what FS could do. Housemarque could be good, tho, but I don’t know how the performance in sales of The Returnal was.

I can see PC players moving to console as prices increase for GPUs now that the tariff exemptions are ending, along with a fair number of them being unable to wait for GTAVI.

So if a PC player is looking to buy a console to play GTAVI they'll be more like to get the one that has the exclusive Sequels to games they've enjoyed on PC, like GoT2, the next GoW, the next Horizon, etc.

tmlDan

Lol at Until Dawn being a world class franchise. Are they making a sequel or just a one a done remake and the movie and call it job done, world class franchise has performed in all its metrics.
read the chart, they're emerging franchises. Don't just look at the title.

Topher

Gold Member
He's chairman not CEO.

They promoted Hulst and Nishino as co-CEOs.

I feel more reassured after this stream, but I want more frequent communication from them tbh.

Yeah, same here. I really don't have a problem with Sony expanding into live service as long as doesn't impact the single player games which are the very reason why I buy PlayStation. This presentation gave me more assurance that there is separation in those two segments of gaming at PlayStation. But better communication is most welcome.

Now......show me some gotdang games tomorrow so I can stop bitching and Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping will stop calling me a cunt

Last edited:
I'm happy that the window may still be open at SIE for more internal AA titles, and AA expansions to AAA tentpole releases. Hopefully that also includes 2P co-development partnerships leveraging legacy IP (like the rumored stuff with SEGA/Atlus and Bandai-Namco with IP like Wipeout). Otherwise the obvious takeaway is that it'll at least continue to be stuff like Stellar Blade (👍) and the various Hero Projects (also 👍)

Aside that, the other thing that did immediately stand out to me was the responses to the PC ports. Not the no Day 1 for non-GAAS; that was basically a given. No, I'm interested in the stated effect they see in the PC ports bringing some of those players to buy PS5s.

BUT, the reason I'm interested is because there was both no direct clarification on how that'd happen (a bit understandable given the format of the presentation, and they don't have all the time to answer questions too in-depth), and that what answer was given sounded to me like they don't necessarily have as much hard data to prove the current strategy will result in that pickup.

The giveaway to me was when the lady (sorry, I didn't catch their name, but I think it was the translator) admitted that there could be some drift of console owners who'd go to PC because of the strategy. They didn't give an exact number, they didn't reference an exact data set; they just said "some", then basically said they were confident it wouldn't be that many. Which, hey, I agree with that. I just find it kinda interesting they don't have hard data to cite on that part.

And I know why they don't. For one, it's kinda too soon for SIE's own data to prove things one way or another. Secondly, no other platform holder has done a PC port strategy particularly like SIE are doing, with the 2+ year (on average) stagger windows between console and PC. But thirdly, the only platform holder in the console market who has also made a big PC strategy core to their brand, Microsoft, obviously wouldn't share that data with SIE.

Meaning, the only thing anyone, including SIE, can do WRT determining the impact of SIE's current PC strategy on console adoption & revenue, is infer from extrapolating circumstantial data from business strategies by Microsoft Gaming. And, what makes that more difficult is that even the current situation with Xbox is in no way 100% due to PC strategy; it's multifaceted.

I'll say again that IMO, SIE supporting PC was never a bad idea in itself. Bringing GAAS titles Day 1, makes sense. Bringing non-GAAS titles 2-3 years (or later, like with Ghosts of Tsushima) to PC, was not a bad thing to go for. I think the long-term problems will happen because of the frequency of their current gen (games released from 2020-onwards) titles have been ported to PC right before the midpoint of this generation. Outside of just a handful of titles, everything else is already on PC.

So, this idea that there are PC gamers by a large amount (especially if they are Steam players specifically), who will buy a console to play new 1P titles, doesn't seem like it holds as much water now vs. maybe in 2020 or 2021. And that is because of not just the cadence timing of ports between then and now, but the total number of ports between then and now, too. If those PC players aren't necessarily suspect to FOMO (and with so many games released these days, people are spoiled for choice), they can just wait a couple years for the eventual Steam port of those SIE games. After all everything else has basically came, why would they expect that to change?

That's the potential wrench in that idea for SIE; then there's the question of what percentage of hardcore & core enthusiasts on the console, seeing that cadence, might decide to wait the couple years to eventually play those games on PC? Or, what about GAAS titles Day 1 on both platforms, but there may be better performance options, cheaper pricing, and free online for the PC version? Of course this assumes those PS owners also have capable enough PCs, and even among the hardcore & core enthusiasts I doubt most of them do. But 1-2 million over time might, and that maybe can add up.

Of course none of this matters if SIE can cover potential shifts and losses in revenue & profits on that front in other ways while still hitting growth projections. I just think, the PC strat as it currently is presents unnecessary friction. Also while I understand Herman's explanation for why it's been more aggressive on PC vs. mobile (because PC shares more with their development platform tools and pipelines than mobile currently does), I gotta wonder what a choice of being more modest on the PC front, and building up mobile development pipelines aggressively the past few years, would have looked like. Not only is the mobile market still seeing big growth in revenue yearly (unlike PC), it has monetization opportunities at least comparable to GAAS on PC & console, if not better (even if some cases are egregious).

SIE could've had mobile versions of certain games up and going by now with a different content delivery structure suited for mobile, leveraging that monetization, and even if those games were Day 1 across console and mobile, at least console would have the clear advantages in terms of traditional content structure, better graphics, framerate, and native device input options. Less friction, less encroachment, bigger revenues and bigger profits. It'd probably be in SIE's best interests to get mobile development pipelines going and prioritize that platform ahead of PC (Steam), while scaling back on the PC ports. Slow down the frequency of ports, and maybe take a 3-4 year stagger option on Steam/PC instead.

Though, I don't know what plans they have for a PC storefront/launcher of their own, and that would change a lot of things in terms of their PC strategy for me. Because while it'd still create some friction (more than mobile), at least that would be a 100% vested interest in SIE's ownership on the PC side of things.

FeralEcho

World class franchises

Fair games
Concord
Marathon

They aren't even released yet!

How about Bloodborne?
Demon's Souls?
Returnal?

How about putting some love in to these games in the marketing instead of some worthless GaaS shit?
My thoughts exactly...They are so fucking dumb but I guess all they can see as success is what prints money.

All you have to do is look at the asanine way they listed Helldivers as a franchise to know that all they see is money....They list Helldivers II as a franchise lmao.... Can't wait for Helldivers II 2 then since apparently Helldivers 1 doesn't exist lmao guess it didn't print enough money to become visible compared to the second one...

How the hell am I supposed to know, I don't work at Sony

And personally, I would consider Astro Bot tentpole, certainly has the potential to be, same as Mario is for Nintendo
So you, as a Playstation gamer can't fathom an upcoming release this year by one of their SP studios from that slide?

Do you see my point? You said the year isn't over yet, but if you can't answer where you think this massive tentpole release will come from between now and the end of the year... then why should I believe there is one coming?

Why not? I don't see any reason why Astro couldn't be a tentpole game. Astro's Playroom was fantastic and was given away for free with PS5. I know myself and many others have been asking for a big Astro game ever since.
Oh, it definitely could be... except it's not a God of War, or a Spider-Man... though with how desperate PS fans are right now for a SP game.. I'm sure it will sell millions regardless lmao.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Why not? I don't see any reason why Astro couldn't be a tentpole game. Astro's Playroom was fantastic and was given away for free with PS5. I know myself and many others have been asking for a big Astro game ever since.
Don’t forget Rescue Mission. Probably the best PSVR1 title. Astrobots are de facto PS hardware mascots and that’s tentpole enough, I think.

Last edited:

midnightAI

So you, as a Playstation gamer can't fathom an upcoming release this year by one of their SP studios from that slide?

Do you see my point? You said the year isn't over yet, but if you can't answer where you think this massive tentpole release will come from between now and the end of the year... then why should I believe there is one coming?
We have a State of Play tomorrow, we have Summer Games Fest and most likely we have a showcase later this year which will show the PS5 and likely first party games, they may well have one ready to release with the Pro for all we know but want to keep everything quiet on that front because Pro hadn't even been announced. Basically, there's plenty of time yet.

Oh, and I'm still team Astro Bot

Last edited:
How about Bloodborne?
Demon's Souls?
Returnal?
How about putting some love in to these games in the marketing instead of some worthless GaaS shit?
Those games aren’t heavy hitters. Can they out do Elder Ring with a GaaS Demon Souls 2/Bloodborne 2 on the Decima Engine? Probably. But they already invested into FromSoftware, I don‘t see them pushing to make their own competitor.
That chart seems to show they’re not working on any new games, just supporting other studios.
Bluepoint has been a remake studio till this point, Nixxes is a port studio, Valkyrie is a traditional support studio. Hence “support“ cause they don’t develop games from the ground up. This chart would indicate Bluepoint is remaking another game like Bloodborne. But I think it is possible that they will make a sequel to Demon Souls.
- Astro (great! But not a big development)
- Insomiac is completely leaked.
- GoW: cinematic version 3.
- Open world Japanese guys 2.
- Druckman’s ego project 4.

- Firesprite surely with something VR.
- Housemarque making Returnal 2 if they’re lucky and get that budget again.
Firesprite are a 200+ person studio.
Guerrilla, Polyphony, Media Molecule, etc get dismissed as games because? This game just said a bunch of nonsense.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Bluepoint has been a remake studio till this point, Nixxes is a port studio, Valkyrie is a traditional support studio. Hence “support“ cause they don’t develop games from the ground up. This chart would indicate Bluepoint is remaking another game like Bloodborne. But I think it is possible that they will make a sequel to Demon Souls.
I’m good with them just doing remakes TBH (if that is the case), they’re good at it.

Topher

Gold Member

I mean....doesn't matter what anyone "believes". No one can answer that question. All we can do is speculate until tomorrow. Hopefully we know something then.

Oh, it definitely could be... except it's not a God of War, or a Spider-Man... though with how desperate PS fans are right now for a SP game.. I'm sure it will sell millions regardless lmao.

Why would anyone be desperate for single player games this year? There have been plenty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom