• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

All of my friends are on PS4 so I never feel like I'm missing out on any cross platform play sessions.

I imagine a lot of people and thier gaming circle are probably only on PlayStation this gen and don't feel like they're being slighted by Sony not allowing this, so there probably won't be any big stink raised about it.

TheFatMan

I love all the people chiming in like they know the details and possible risk and reward for Sony if they agreed to this on PlayStation 4. Let's get some details that don't originate from a blogger on the internet.....

Stay classy GAF.

Synth

Playing devils advocate, but you seem to be pretty content with the game already, which kind of proves the point that cross play with PS4 doesn't seem to be a make or break feature, at least for you.

But on a larger scale, I agree that this looks like it could become problematic if the trend continues. I'd really like to know the reasons behind it.

Between this and your last post, you've basically implying that people shouldn't care if they don't play Minecraft, and that people shouldn't care if they do.

I've purchased Minecraft multiple times, because I've played the game on multiple different platforms over the years, from the 360 through to playing in VR on the Rift. Some of these purchases actually have been a result of a lack of crossplay in previous versions. I bought the Windows 10 Edition, because my Xbox One copy couldn't play with my brothers that were playing on PC at the time.

Crossplay isn't "make or break" in the sense that I won't play the game at all, but if every version sans one is crossplay, then it'll probably "break" me picking that one. And regardless of if I'm part of the larger overall group, if someone I want to play with happens to be in the isolated environments, then that sucks also, because we either can't play, or one of us is buying another copy.

PrinceKee

Because sony is market leader and they gain nothing by cross-platform play, actually probably the opposite.

I don't get this. I think if this is their excuse it's lame. How about keeping your users playing this game on your system? There's people out there that want to play with PC and other console users. Also didn't they say all your saved data and worlds will be on those consoles also? So some PS4 Minecraft players may jump ship to another platform. I don't play minecraft, but if I did I'd think about is...

That's what I am saying. Outside Portal 2 cross play they haven't been that supportive have they.

Aside from PC, they haven't been open to cross platform play with other consoles at all this gen. Of course, online now has a paywall, the selection of plus games is not as good, no real attempt at BC, and making us pay for PS2 games again has left me feeling really bitter about Sony despite buying 2 ps4s at launch.

I'd feel less bitter if they dropped that "4theplayers" tag cause at this point they really aren't.

Prompto

Banned
I really don't get why Sony wouldn't be ok with this. Seems like a really dumb move on their part especially since I'm guessing more people are playing Minecraft on Xbox than Playstation.

geomon

In this thread:

jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
I guarantee you that many of the same people defending this move by Sony were calling for MS's head back when the news about them not playing ball with FF14 was new. You guys aren't fooling anybody for a second.

Absolutely, it's transparent as hell and some people are really embarassing themselves here.

Smh at people defending this cause it's "business" it's going to be so great for the millions who own this game which will become a downgraded version compared to the others...

sonto340

My hardwired download and upload speeds say no, no it doesn't.
My Wii U is somehow faster to download a similar sized game. On wifi.

Isn't the psn backend preventing stuff like ea access and early access games from coming to the system?
Nintendo Network better than PSN confirmed.

Tumle

Hmmm that's sad...
I know if you play the iOS version of the game, if you want to play online you have to create an Xbox live account (or something like it).. could that be the reason?

Van Bur3n

Why would we care what the conditions are?

You are a consumer. If you don't own Minecraft, this doesn't matter. If you do own Minecraft, you benefit from Sony agreeing to this and you don't benefit from them not. You don't need to emotionally invest in the material wellbeing of a corporation.

Oh, they do. And we know they do. We all know why a lot of people on GAF are defensive about these corporations.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
This as a reason is beyond bizarre to accept. As the market leader you do things to maintain that lead. It'd be better to think Microsoft had a hand in the reason why not.

Nah, that's not likely. Microsoft would want cross-platform play with the sony because there's almost double the amount of ps4's than xbox ones.

Also apple, google and nintendo accepted it so...

That's pretty disappointing, the more cross play, the better for everyone and gives us better products in most cases (FPS cross play with PC is an exception though, way too much of an advantage there). Sony basically made their version of Minecraft more inferior for no reason.

I'm still waiting for FFXIV on Xbox one

Oh wait

Sony is the only one who does this shit

Now you're just making absurd assumptions. We don't even know if any conditions needed to be accepted at all, much less that Sony's conditions would be different than Nintendo's.

There are always conditions.
And this isn't a third party they'd be dealing with anymore, the franchise is now owned by Microsoft. And Microsoft wasn't too open about this stuff when Sony was seeking it last gen and offered their own cross-play with PS3/Vita/PC when possible.

That said, still shitty on Sony's part that they couldn't work something out. It's even a family title, Sony should have done it or at least negotiated the terms into something they could have lived with to get it done. It wouldn't effect them much and it's Minecraft. As long as they are getting the game at the same time as everyone else.

13ruce

Banned
Sony isn't obligated to say yes when a competitor asks for a favor. Don't take it personal, its just business.

Even the most competitive companies sometimes work together and this favor even benefits Sony and their playerbase.

Heck even Nintendo said yes.

Yes Sony might have a corporate incentive but that doesnt stop them doing something nice for the players. I always cringe when people forget that companies are just money machines that need squeezed dry for consumer benefits rather than your best friend.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So, figuring out the actual reason Sony might not want this, I looked at the news post:

Anyone playing the game on Windows 10, iOS, Android, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and VR devices will be able to play online together. If you own Minecraft for your mobile or VR device, you'll get this as a free update this summer. If you own Minecraft: Xbox One Edition or Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition, you'll receive the brand new version of Minecraft for free, and your existing worlds and DLC will come along to the new version with you. What's more, any DLC you purchase will be accessible amongst the various devices at no extra charge. (For example: if you buy the Greek Mythology pack on Nintendo Switch, you'll also own it on the mobile, Xbox One and Windows 10 Editions too - no extra charge).

It sounds like all DLC bypasses the original store into a Minecraft store? Or maybe its something like...whatever device I buy this new hat on gets my money. I wonder if MS made a deal with Nintendo to cut their cut for Store purchases. But I can't imagine that would fly with Apple or Google. Hmm.

Or maybe they just don't wanna give MS any satisfaction.

For the record, we don't know if there were conditions on the deal that PlayStation refuted.
Because Nintendo is so guillible, right? They're not exactly loose about this sort of thing themselves. I'd love it if their reasoning is valid, but I can't see it at all in this case.

Lame move. MS should pull the game from their platform until they comply.
...what? Why??? This is silly.

Nipo

Makes sense. People buy the console that their friends have because they want to play games with them. Right now PS4 has a commanding lead so your friends are more likely there. Cross play would remove that incentive and open up the possibility of people buying an xbox even though their friends have PS4 which sony wants to avoid.

Lame move. MS should pull the game from their platform until they comply.

Edit: obviously not going to happen/an overreaction, but Minecraft is the one area MS has any real leverage and crossplay should be for everyone, so they should do something, imo.

EDarkness

All of my friends are on PS4 so I never feel like I'm missing out on any cross platform play sessions.

I imagine a lot of people and thier gaming circle are probably only on PlayStation this gen and don't feel like they're being slighted by Sony not allowing this, so there probably won't be any big stink raised about it.

But aren't Playstation players going to miss out on private servers and the like, too? This isn't just about cross platform play, but all the other features that come with it.

ckaneo

Why is neogaf so content to defend corporations? We all know the corporate reasons, we the players want cross platform play. Stop defending them and apply pressure so we can benefit.

Ridley327

One of the things that got slightly buried when the news broke about the cross-platform announcement was that the cross-platform systems would also be receiving dedicated server support. Sony missing out on a big feature like that would be a pretty big blow, and I don't know if there's a business argument worth making that would justify losing a rather important feature like that.

Valentus

Could it be security reasons? Sony has been very paranoid with it since the mass hacking incident. I dont know, im talking from complete ignorance.

Its really surprising that PS3 version has crossplay and not PS4 (im sure that Minecraft PS3 should have way more users than the PS4 version)

Still, dick move.

Boke1879

Again. Best thing for yall to do is to bug the execs on twitter and try to get a hashtag out of it.

Aside from that its an odd choice and really doesn't make sense, but oh well.

Top Bottom