• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

Ridley327

Am I reading too much into that tweet? It says "yes to Nintendo" as if they allowed Nintendo to get in on it but it wasn't as simple with Sony. Maybe there were some conditions that Sony did not want to accept?

We'll probably find out one way or another.

The issue is whatever conditions are in place were accepted by Nintendo, Apple and Google, and I'd have to believe that if it's good enough for the likes of Apple and Google, I'm not sure what could be so abominable about them that would make Sony balk on those grounds.

mcrommert

Banned
The majority of Minecraft players are on PC.

Just to correct this, this doesn't include Java versions on the pc....now there will be three editions that interop

Java PC

Pocket edition with Xbox live multi (iOS, Android, win10m, windows 10 store, and now Xbox one, ps3, Xbox 360 and switch)

And ps4 all by itself

Absolutely, it's transparent as hell and some people are really embarassing themselves here.

There's an equal amount of embarrassing transparent hypocrisy coming from the "A game I don't play isn't cross-play on a system I don't own" outrage crowd as well.

People throwing out god damn 'anti-consumer' like we're playing ignorant hot potato aren't that much better than the people gargling Sony's balls.

But if thinking otherwise makes you feel better, I guess you do you.

not all playstation users own nor play minecraft. not all casual players understand the concept of cross platform play.

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill
so because this doesn't affect 100% of the player base it cannot be criticised

sony doesn't love you, they're not going to return your calls

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sony has been refusing cross platform play with their direct console competitors forever, not a surprise now.

For me personally, i could not care less than i do.

Kinyou

not all playstation users own nor play minecraft. not all casual players understand the concept of cross platform play.

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill
This isn't just limited to Minecraft. If they say no to this deal they'll probably say no to any other crossplay offer.

Microsoft proved several times already that they dont give a crap about Minecraft exclusivity, they're aiming to release it on everything possible and bank on every platform

If a single platform out of several refuses, you can safely bet it wasn't because Microsoft didn't wanted to

Maybe I should have bolded where I said that's what I would do?

EDarkness

Just to correct this, this doesn't include Java versions on the of...now there will be three editions

Java PC

Pocket edition with Xbox live multi (iOS, Android, win10m, windows 10 store, and now Xbox one, ps3, Xbox 360 and switch)

And ps4 all by itself

If I remember correctly, the Xbox 360 and Wii U versions are not included in this.

Trey

There's an equal amount of embarrassing transparent hypocrisy coming from the "A game I don't play isn't cross-play on a system I don't own" outrage crowd as well.

People throwing out god damn 'anti-consumer' like we're playing ignorant hot potato aren't that much better than the people gargling Sony's balls.

you don't have to own minecraft or play minecraft to find this move questionable given all that we know.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The issue is whatever conditions are in place were accepted by Nintendo, Apple and Google, and I'd have to believe that if it's good enough for the likes of Apple and Google, I'm not sure what could be so abominable about them that would make Sony balk on those grounds.

Apple and Google don't give a shit what happens on their app platforms. They didn't need to ask them about anything, unless my theory of getting their own storefronts in their game and cutting Apple/Google's take is right, which I'm sure isn't.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Am I reading too much into that tweet? It says "yes to Nintendo" as if they allowed Nintendo to get in on it but it wasn't as simple with Sony. Maybe there were some conditions that Sony did not want to accept?

We'll probably find out one way or another.

That's an interpretation I wasn't expecting.

Lol, it's crazy that there are people to defend this.
"it doesnt benefit them/us".
I'm sure more players doesnt benefit anyone /s.

What if the condition was "No Sony's"? Ever think of that?

There's very little to justify the development and testing costs for Sony.

Logical, if unpopular decision. You don't spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a little bit of good will.

MUnited83

For you.

Considering it's literally one of the most massive successes in gaming history in terms of sales, seems like it would be quite the minority.

And yes, it's absolutely anti-consumer, no matter how much people want to spin it.

Also not sure what "system I don't own" has to do with anything. Like the literal advantage of cross-platform play is playing with people on systems you don't own.

Gestault

Yea let's have an outrage for something most of u won't even care about or even play lol

Minecraft has a big audience split across a lot of platforms, and there's no question that getting the flexibility of cross-play is a good thing for those players. There's no down-side. This is one of the "easy" choices to make an exception for, even if a more catch-all policy isn't possible.

Honestly, based on the comments, you and a few other people are really transparent about your motivations.

LordRaptor

Baffling why this would be blocked when by this point Minecraft is essentally a cross platform MMO, particularly with the changes this update is bringing

Sony has been refusing cross platform play with their direct console competitors forever, not a surprise now.

For me personally, i could not care less than i do.

I don't play Minecraft, but Square wants to put XIV on XOne and Switch. This pretty much confirms that Sony isn't gonna let them outside PC.

Cerium

All of my friends are on PS4 so I never feel like I'm missing out on any cross platform play sessions.

I imagine a lot of people and thier gaming circle are probably only on PlayStation this gen and don't feel like they're being slighted by Sony not allowing this, so there probably won't be any big stink raised about it.
All the unified platforms will be getting dedicated servers and feature parity with PC including unlimited world size. That's a big deal for Minecraft.

Synth

Point out who doesn't own a PS4 and/or doesn't play Minecraft, and prove it.

joe_zazen

Is 'you do you' another of sayin 'go fuck yourself' or just autocorrect. Lol.

Top Bottom