• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony refused cross platform play in Minecraft

Wildo09

Today I learn Apple needs all the help they can get in regards to Minecraft and Sony doesn't need to play ball with second rate peasants. As if playing with the huge PC population wasn't a great benefit.

LNBL

lol at all the snide 4theplayers comments.

been a rough day for a certain fanbase thats for sure

they gotta vent that frustration somehow

I'd imagine PS4 players would be more upset about not getting this feature than players on a platform that do get it.

Trago

Funny to think of the potential super userbase of players for these upcoming games being stomped because one company has to swing their arrogant market leader wang around fucking things up for the rest of us.

Anthem, Destiny 2, etc. could just have one big community of players.

I'd absolutely love that, but progress has to be halted because we're at Sony's mercy.

EvB

Could it be security reasons? Sony has been very paranoid with it since the mass hacking incident. I dont know, im talking from complete ignorance.

Its really surprising that PS3 version has crossplay and not PS4 (im sure that Minecraft PS3 should have way more users than the PS4 version)

Still, dick move.

No, it will be that it requires you to log in with an Xbox account.

HardRojo

I wish Sony came out and explained the reasons they are refusing this, pretty shitty in my opinion.
Edit: I get they can afford to be like this because they're at the top this gen, but still, it'd be nice to have cross platform play across the board.

atbigelow

I'm sure there are business practice reasons why, but they're definitely rooted in brand arrogance rather than beneficial to the player.

Same kind of shit you see in Overwatch, Destiny, etc, except it's a more important game.

So, figuring out the actual reason Sony might not want this, I looked at the news post:

It sounds like all DLC bypasses the original store into a Minecraft store? Or maybe its something like...whatever device I buy this new hat on gets my money. I wonder if MS made a deal with Nintendo to cut their cut for Store purchases. But I can't imagine that would fly with Apple or Google. Hmm.

Or maybe they just don't wanna give MS any satisfaction.

I'd assume whatever marketplace you initially purchase the content on gets the 30%.

I do wonder how content delivery happens across platforms. Is DLC for Minecraft automatically downloaded in patches and then you're paying for the unlock code or are you downloading the content on purchase?

AZ Greg

So, figuring out the actual reason Sony might not want this, I looked at the news post:

It sounds like all DLC bypasses the original store into a Minecraft store? Or maybe its something like...whatever device I buy this new hat on gets my money. I wonder if MS made a deal with Nintendo to cut their cut for Store purchases. But I can't imagine that would fly with Apple or Google. Hmm.

Or maybe they just don't wanna give MS any satisfaction.

Yeah I'm sure there is something we're missing. Something that only Sony was wise enough to spot. You so sneaky MS! /Sarcasm

Blablurn

There must be some bad blood going on if such a friendly and nice company like Sony refuses to cooperate.

I don't wanna speculate though.

Nanashrew

Banned
PS4 not being including likely also puts the PS4 version behind everyone else because the PC, XB1 and Switch version would be the same. You can also buy DLC on any of those platforms and it works on them all. Updates will also likely come quicker as well.

Sony could wind up the loser in this scenario for not supporting it.

EDIT: Oh and dedicated server support.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
im asking the same of the people who are making the comments ive seen

did sony run over their dogs?

the negativity is astounding

No, consumers just don't tend to like anti-consumer things.

Unless they're drinking the koolaid too hard and defend...things that hurt them? Which is the real headscratcher.

mreddie

Isn't Sony also the reason why Rocket League can't get crossplay with XBONE?
giphy.gif

Wouldn't be surprised if there is more to the situation, don't see why Sony would refuse, wouldn't be surprised if PSN has trouble working with XBL or it's security related. It's not like its a new 3rd Party system seller were Sony would want people to stick to only their box, it's MineCraft, has been out for forever and it's on pretty much anything that can run it.

MDave

Probably Sony shareholders asking, does this make more money? The answer isn't a solid yes, so they say no.

#4theshareholders

If both MS/Sony don't really see Nintendo as a competitor wouldn't this make MS look a lot better that their versions of games work with everyone else while Sony doesn't?

Even more interesting that it's their property that works with every console except Sonys.

If it were me I wouldn't even have approached the PS camp about this.. Makes more business sense to get my game on every console that isn't a direct competitor and profit off how lame they look but not playing ball.

Not saying that's what happened here, but if it were me, that's how I'd play it. Then drop Minecraft 2 on everything thing but Sony consoles.

lol at all the snide 4theplayers comments.

been a rough day for a certain fanbase thats for sure

they gotta vent that frustration somehow

You cannot be serious. Projecting your fanboy console warrior insecurities by insulting justified naysayers to Sony being the only one to block this is just sad. And this isn't even close to the first time we've heard about this.

I hate sony with the rage of 1000 suns. They killed my first born and slaughtered my loved ones. Kaz himself burned my house to the ground.

I will never forgive.

Am I reading too much into that tweet? It says "yes to Nintendo" as if they allowed Nintendo to get in on it but it wasn't as simple with Sony. Maybe there were some conditions that Sony did not want to accept?

We'll probably find out one way or another.

Keinning

If both MS/Sony don't really see Nintendo as a competitor wouldn't this make MS look a lot better that their versions of games work with everyone else while Sony doesn't?

Even more interesting that it's their property that works with every console except Sonys.

If it were me I wouldn't even have approached the PS camp about this.. Makes more business sense to get my game on every console that isn't a direct competitor and profit off how lame they look but not playing ball.

Not saying that's what happened here, but if it were me, that's how I'd play it. Then drop Minecraft 2 on everything thing but Sony consoles.

Microsoft proved several times already that they dont give a crap about Minecraft exclusivity, they're aiming to release it on everything possible and bank on every platform

If a single platform out of several refuses, you can safely bet it wasn't because Microsoft didn't wanted to

I don't get the "Sony has nothing to gain" argument. Other than the few people who have only a PS4 and literally nothing else, who's buying the PS4 version of Minecraft now?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Has there ever been a game that has allowed cross-purchases to transfer over to different consoles?

I wonder if Warframe and games like that do it, or if Minecraft is trying to be the first.

ODDI

Why is neogaf so content to defend corporations? We all know the corporate reasons, we the players want cross platform play. Stop defending them and apply pressure so we can benefit.
I dont know man it's really sad to see the gaming community broken up like this.

Top Bottom