• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica apparently out-doing CGI with their new game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
SSM is one of the studios that I'm most curious to see what they do on PS4. If they do another GoW, I would love for them to keep the static camera and go for a full 60fps instead of the usual unlocked framerates that they aim for. Game would still look gorgeous and would allow the combat to really shine.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Complete and utter bullshit.

PS4 isn't capable of matching that specific CGI in real-time, let alone surpassing it.

Not sure about that as they are already pretty damned close. I mean this is running in real time.

YTrKDys.png

rp6KqJr.png

This is still pretty much launch window 1st wave stuff.

wmlk

People taking that tweet seriously need to step back lol

SSM's game is gonna blow away everything on consoles, but that's a Sony employee saying a pretty passive thing about en in-house Sony game. It's not to be taken seriously.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
People taking that tweet seriously need to step back lol

SSM's game is gonna blow away everything on consoles, but that's a Sony employee saying a pretty passive thing about en in-house Sony game. It's not to be taken seriously.

He also could just be referring to a single specific aspect of it like the eyes or animation, since he mentions "some" things looking better but not the overall quality.

wmlk

He also could just be referring to a single specific aspect of it like the eyes or animation, since he mentions "some" things looking better but not the overall quality.

Regardless, it's a passive statement and people are running wild with it. It's embarrassing when you know people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

sn00zer

I'm telling you guys. Kratos's gonna be the antagonist. Mad, rogue god slaying all the pantheons across the world. You're a young up-and-comer in your own pantheon and the Big K has set his sights your corner of the world. Time to throw down.

I kind of assumed this..... Jaffe always talked about a power struggle with the other pantheons once Kratos wiped out the Greek gods

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Regardless, it's a passive statement and people are running wild with it. It's embarrassing when you know people are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Oh yeah, I'm agreeing with you. I was just saying even if he was correct in saying that they have something that looks better, I highly doubt it was the whole package. Just one small piece.

Teremap

Banned
Any developer claiming to reach modern pre-rendered CG quality in a video game is automatically talking out of their ass.

Seriously. Stop entertaining these people's crazy statements already.

Not sure about that as they are already pretty damned close. I mean this is running in real time.

YTrKDys.png

rp6KqJr.png

Yeah, nah, this is what happens when you severely limit the scope of your game and put a massive focus on graphics above all else.

With what RAD has been doing with The Order 1886, Naughty Dog's tease with UC4, and Quantic Dream's wizard tech demo, you know just know Santa Monica's PS4 project is going to look spectacular also.

Caayn

YTrKDys.png

rp6KqJr.png

The Order looks good but not that good. Also there are three flaws in your post
1. The Order is rendering 25% less pixels than other 1080p games.
2. More than a year after launch is not launch window.
3. A lot is hidden behind film grain from what I've seen.

Better graphics than CGI on a PS4? I don't believe it.

Sydle

I'm excited to see it, but I'm also really hoping they are done with Kratos. There's no amount of dazzle that will get me to play another game as him.

I like the idea of him as the antagonist. Would love to kill him.

Jagsrock

Banned
I'm sure whatever they have cooking will look amazing but it's going to be a long while before we see it and it's still probably not going to surpass cg.

I hope their next game is not GOW, I can't play that series the gratuitous gore/violence is too much and I can't get into the game. I'd like to hope they do something a bit deeper and more universally appealing.

To people questioning whether we "need" these levels of graphics, just remember that part of Sony's next-gen plans are VR. We may not "need" it, but high levels of graphics will surely make VR even neater.

wmlk

To people questioning whether we "need" these levels of graphics, just remember that part of Sony's next-gen plans are VR. We may not "need" it, but high levels of graphics will surely make VR even neater.

It's not even about that. AAA game makers have always strived for the cutting-edge.

It's not even about that. AAA game makers have always strived for the cutting-edge.
Of course, but to some extents cutting-edge graphics in terms of extreme close-up detail (e.g. faces) is going to become more and more important. It'll be interesting to see how facial animation and such improves for VR immersion.

p3tran

Banned
that video in op is cgi that took days to render.

I'm guessing we are talking here about.....prerendered stuff?

and later than next e3, I dont want to believe.

Blobbers

Please not another GoW prequel.

And what would GoW 4 even be about? Kratos vs Chaos?

I can see them going with another protag entirely though I'm not so sure they'll abandon the confines of the Greek mythology. God of War: Another Story.

Dinda

IF it just weren't another God of War...the third generation with the only the same game is just lame for such a talented studio.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
'challenge accepted! Actually the stuff we have now is topping that.'

This could mean anything, of course a crazy looking GEN8 game, being in real time with physics, A.I. and so on, can top that on the technology side of things. But if you're expecting those kind of visuals in gameplay then you're delusional, that's still 10-15 years away at least.

wmlk

Of course, but to some extents cutting-edge graphics in terms of extreme close-up detail (e.g. faces) is going to become more and more important. It'll be interesting to see how facial animation and such improves for VR immersion.

Facial animation is actually the opposite of what's preached for VR.

That's what I meant. This is just SSM being SSM.

Sanctuary

People saw how good GOW 3 looked right? SSM is going to be one of the first to make the PS4 sing in terms of graphics, and it is going to be glorious. Even more so if its for a new GOW.

Now if only they can remember to add the gameplay this time. GOW 3 frontloaded the best parts into the first 20 minutes and it was all downhill from there.

OsirisBlack

Banned
A game coming out 15 months after launch is launch window?

Let me rephrase that its still first wave stuff as in its a part of the games that were revealed before the system was out so its still very early in the consoles cycle and before developers know all of the nuances of the system. Is that better?

The Order looks good but not that good. Also there are three flaws in your post
1. The Order is rendering 25% less pixels than other 1080p games.
2. More than a year after launch is not launch window.
3. A lot is hidden behind film grain from what I've seen.

Better graphics than CGI on a PS4? I don't believe it.

I do agree with you that it does look better than the Order which is why I said "Close"
1. Has absolutely nothing to do with the price of tea in China.
2. See above correction.
3. Film Grain? You're confusing the order with The Evil Within. The order does not seem to have a film grain there have been scenes with dust particles everywhere but most of the more recent things are very clear.

Yeah, nah, this is what happens when you severely limit the scope of your game and put a massive focus on graphics above all else.
So you know the full scope of the game? please enlighten me as I am very interested, how long is the game? How in depth is the destruction system? Are limbs the only body parts that you can blow off? How long did it take you to complete the game?
/s

Edited to add
On the subject of Kratos I hope they change Pantheons and Protagonist as the Greek Pantheon has been done to death. Literally in this series.

Putty

SMS generally melt faces with their tech. I'm expecting no different this time around...whenever it may be.

cantona222

This looks great. But if this makes games take much longer to be developed and costs much more.... Then let's not go this far.

Top Bottom