• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica apparently out-doing CGI with their new game.

Raist

Banned
Maybe I'm just insane but I never considered GoW3 to be a looker except for the impressive scale of the boss fights. Like, people keep posting these close ups of Kratos and I just think "huh? UC games looked way better than that".

I think what did it for GoWIII is the insane IQ. But other than that, I agree, it didn't look way better that Uncharted 2/3, although to be fair I guess it should be compared to U1.

amar212

Toy Story hasn't aged well.
ibhsJ1DeEniGu6.jpg

Lighting have.

Leb

Uh, it's a Sony first party, of course they can do in 33 milliseconds something that would take a third party 6000 seconds to do.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Really hope that it's a reference to Calling All Cars 2 and not the super obvious GoW 4. When you think about it kinda would be poetic for Barlog to take over the Calling All Cars franchise.

The polys wouldn't be a problem, nor would the animation or textures. For the rest you could get someone to code a custom GPU renderer, kinda like how FurryBall works. You could maybe do procedural shaders and textures too. I'd say someone could come close to that video with PS4, but a whole game like that? I highly doubt it unless the whole game is that dudes head. But I dunno, I'm just armchair research guy.

eureka, that's it!
The video is a head, the game would need to be just a guys head.

Head Games! They are playing Head Games on us!
And now I'm playing head games on you because that song is probably in your head.

Let me rephrase that its still first wave stuff as in its a part of the games that were revealed before the system was out so its still very early in the consoles cycle and before developers know all of the nuances of the system. Is that better?

I don't think I consider this to be early, or perceive it to be a game that will suffer from not knowing "the nuances of the system". As a first party effort, RAD had access to the hardware before your average external studio did. By the time the game ships, the PS4 hardware will have been finalized for something like 20 months, and RAD would certainly be collaborating with the ICE team housed in Naughty Dog just like other Sony studios.

Realistically, I expect The Order to be a game that can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with games that come out not just in 2015, but right up to the end of the PS4's life cycle. It will be surpassed, but not by a lot of games. I think it will wind up looking graphically superior to Uncharted 4 actually, because it's coming out within a year of it, is targeting 30fps instead of 60, and is only rendering at 1920 x 800.

I think what did it for GoWIII is the insane IQ. But other than that, I agree, it didn't look way better that Uncharted 2/3, although to be fair I guess it should be compared to U1.

Why would we compare GoW3 to Uncharted 1? Uncharted came out in 2007, GoW3 came out 2010. It came out a year after UC2.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Toy Story hasn't aged well.
ibhsJ1DeEniGu6.jpg

Looks like how rough 90s CGI is supposed to look like. The only thing that Toy story 1 really still excels at is the IQ and maybe the lighting...the actual rendered assets have been surpassed long ago in many fields including games.

Toy story 3 is a whole different dimension in terms of literally everything, even though they are supposed to have the same kind of look to them

KKRT00

3. Film Grain? You're confusing the order with The Evil Within. The order does not seem to have a film grain there have been scenes with dust particles everywhere but most of the more recent things are very clear.

There is ton of film grain in The Order. This is one of the newest shots RAD has released:
image_the_order_1886-25924-2752_0001.jpg

Also shots You posted are far from the video in the OP.

Ricky_R

There is ton of film grain in The Order. This is one of the newest shots RAD has released:

Also shots You posted are far from the video from the OP.

That image shows a whole lot more grain than actual trailer does. Here's a screen grab of the same scene and there's practically no grain.

5q7kILe.jpg

Will the game release with the amount of grain that your screen shows? We'll have to wait and see, but the game in motion shows little to no grain.

Tetranet

Hopefully someone will make things of this level in a non-realistic artstyle as well. Something more colorful and playful with that fidelity.

R_Deckard

Also shots You posted are far from the video from the OP.

Just proves how STUNNING this game looks, just for sheer realtime CG levels it is without question..cannot wait to play through this game and admire its detail and beauty.

Animation and facial animation is going to take a HUGE leap this gen, this, AC:Unity and Uncharted 4 it all adds to the quality and realism in the scene. Playing out canned animations like a video on the texture, this is what I think corey was referring too.

KKRT00

That image shows a whole lot more grain than actual trailer does. Here's a screen grab of the same scene and there's practically no grain.

5q7kILe.jpg

Will the game release with the amount of grain that your screen shows? We'll have to wait and see, but the game in motion shows little to no grain.

Thats normal. Film grain is more visible on screenshots, than in motion. Your shot is blurred from the motion, my is screengrab. You can do the same for any game, take a shots from heavy grain filtered area and then record video and capture a frame.

Kinyou

Oh god, please no cgi comparisons etc. I just get flashbacks to the Killzone 2 trailer and "it looks like a painting come to life"

If you hype up expectations like that people will end up disappointed even if the final product looks phenomenal.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
After God of War 3 I am inclined to believe them. Somebody must have sold their soul to get a game to look that good running on PS3

Ricky_R

Thats normal. Film grain is more visible on screenshots, than in motion. Your shot is blurred from the motion, my is screengrab. You can do the same for any game, take a shots from heavy grain filtered area and then record video and capture a frame.

Well then... The game will not show as much grain since it will be in motion, no?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Pumped to see their next game.

Between The Order, Uncharted 4, Halo 5, Fallout 4, Gears, Battlefront, and Mass Effect 4 (among others), we will truly start to see what this generation is capable of.

We have but scratched the surface.

Makes me giggle at those that said we wouldn't get much better graphics than last gen.

Nemmy

Oh god, the video in the OP is like a headfirst plunge into the uncanny valley for me. Ugh.
I'm all for graphical fidelity, but call me crazy, the thought of all AAA games in the near future creeping me out like this is not pleasant at all.

Log4Girlz

Asset quality is approaching CGI, rendering quality, not even close. Toy Story 1 has great IQ and lighting and poly counts on most items are top notch, just crudely modeled compared to not only today's CGI, but compared to most modern AAA games.

Ricky_R

... Do you even know how video compression works?

Why because of the youtube video? The gamersyde video also shows much less grain than the still KKR posted.

I understand that grain is more visible on screenshots, but pausing throughout the GamesCom trailer from gamersyde, there doesn't seem to be as much grain as KKR suggested.

Ricky_R

In gameplay it will show You as much film grain as Mass Effect 1 by the look of it.

I remember ME's grain and it was painful (I dislike grain). Thankfully, it was optional.

I don't remember watching videos of it before hand, so I can't really say that it was noticeable on trailers. I only hope that The Order's grain is minimal.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
In gameplay it will show You as much film grain as Mass Effect 1 by the look of it.

I see Mass Effect getting so much criticism over the grain. When I noticed it, I went into the options straight away and turned it off. I don't know what the big deal is

Judging by how crazy good looking God of War 3 was on PS3. I don't have any problems believing that their next game on PS4 is going to be CGI good looking !

Can't wait !!! I just hope it's not another God of War, kinda tired of the franchise.

I find this thread silly for a whole number of reasons. Since when is it cool to just allow these silly hype comments to just fester around here?

Some people are getting worked up about that tweet for nothing. You know they don't need to actually DO more (higher poly model, fancy lighting techniques) to surpass it on a visual level, right?

God of Pls.

Are they talking about their CG cutscenes topping that video, or their gameplay? I don't mean to be cynical, but I really don't believe the latter can be true. That being said, I would love to be proven wrong.

Brings to mind KZ2CGDebacleGate and the many crazies still asserting that the actual game looks better.

BadWolf

Whatever happens I'm sure I'll be blown away with what they come up with, visually at the very least.

The GOW games have been extremely impressive in that regard since day 1.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

I know GOW3 looked great and The Order is doing some amazing stuff...but doing better than whats in that video in game? Nah son, CGI cutscenes though? Sure why not!

Top Bottom