• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

sense

It will most likely be 2017. Sony is probably gun shy in putting release frames since they have been hit with delays more often than not. I have no doubt they are targeting holiday 2017 with a lot of promotion alongside the movie in the summer. Maybe put in the movie with early copies of the game or free tickets if you preorder the game etc....insomniac have been pretty good with their game releases and 3 year time frame is good enough if the creative director LinkedIn start date of late 2014 is true.

It will most likely be 2017. Sony is probably gun shy in putting release frames since they have been hit with delays more often than not. I have no doubt they are targeting holiday 2017 with a lot of promotion alongside the movie in the summer. Maybe put in the movie with early copies of the game or free tickets if you preorder the game etc....insomniac have been pretty good with their game releases and 3 year time frame is good enough if the creative director LinkedIn start date of late 2014 is true.

Yeah, I definitely got that feeling when no one working on GoW, Days Gone, or Spider-Man would commit to even a 2017 timeframe. The most anyone could get is "soon" from Cory on GoW. I'm sure at least one of those will hit next year, but Sony obviously doesn't want to say they will only to have to push them back like recent games. So it's better to just wait until they know for certain that they're going to be able to release them in a certain year before committing to that timeframe.

bunkitz

Every person who believes that Spider-Man or God of War will release in 2017 gives me strength. I hope you guys are right. Although, my wallet doesn't.

Ascenion

think someone mentioned it in here earlier but a PS4K/Spider-Man/UHD Homecoming bundle in Fall 2017 sure would sell well

Not likely. Judging from Marvel's other home video releases I don't see Homecoming hitting home video until November/December and likely missing Black Friday since they stagger digital and physical. This is especially if the film has legs which given the reception to Civil War I believe it will. A new bundle after Black Friday doesn't make sense. This is assuming Marvel is in control of the film as they should be with Sony simply serving as a distributor (After ASM 2 that had better be what's happening)

Playsage

Please let there not be any morality system in this game.

Leave that shitty gimmick to Infamous.

Tbh, Infamous should drop it too, Unless they can make you play as an actual villain

sense

Not likely. Judging from Marvel's other home video releases I don't see Homecoming hitting home video until November/December and likely missing Black Friday since they stagger digital and physical. This is especially if the film has legs which given the reception to Civil War I believe it will. A new bundle after Black Friday doesn't make sense. This is assuming Marvel is in control of the film as they should be with Sony simply serving as a distributor (After ASM 2 that had better be what's happening)
It will probably be a digital code for the movie anyways rather than a physical disk so they can sell it ahead of time if they chose to and maybe say you can see it first if you buy the game etc...

DKHF

God of war have already been in developement for 4 years, get your wallet ready
I think God of War's been in development for just under 3 years not quite 4. Because Cory Balrog rejoined Santa Monica in August 2013 and Ascension (SSM's last game) came out in early 2013.

Every person who believes that Spider-Man or God of War will release in 2017 gives me strength. I hope you guys are right. Although, my wallet doesn't.

I don't see either GoW or Spider-Man getting pushed out of 2017. Seems like both have been in the oven for quite a while.

I'll just guess that Spidey is in the UC4 spot next year (late May/early June), and God of War in October. Big showing for Spidey at PSX, huge set piece for God of War at E3.

Sjefen

I think God of War's been in development for just under 3 years not quite 4. Because Cory Balrog rejoined Santa Monica in August 2013 and Ascension (SSM's last game) came out in early 2013.

Saw a interview with Cory were he said 4 years, cant remember if it was Ign or easy allies

SomTervo

Yeah, I definitely got that feeling when no one working on GoW, Days Gone, or Spider-Man would commit to even a 2017 timeframe. The most anyone could get is "soon" from Cory on GoW.

It's a really good thing, TBH. Release dates announced early just make customers irritated when they get pushed back, and that happens alot because project management in video games still has a long way to go.

DKHF

Saw a interview with Cory were he said 4 years, cant remember if it was Ign or easy allies
I haven't seen IGN's interview so maybe there. I'm guessing he means pre-production started 4 years ago which makes sense since that's when PS4 dev kits were out (roughly), and SSM would have had people working on some stuff for it.

curb

Banned
I've been thinking that outside of the core swinging and combat mechanics, I really hope they fill the city with proper super-hero-ing tasks. I'd love to be able to load the game up long after finishing the story to get my Spidey fix and have things to do in the city that don't feel repetitive.

The God

I've been thinking that outside of the core swinging and combat mechanics, I really hope they fill the city with proper super-hero-ing tasks. I'd love to be able to load the game up long after finishing the story to get my Spidey fix and have things to do in the city that don't feel repetitive.

Such as?

The God

Honestly, I think I know more of what I don't want in this case. I've just found that in previous games, you end up doing the same small number of tasks over and over again. Like that kid's balloon in SM2.
What I like about Arkham Knight is that the city stays populated with people to beat up even after you finish everything. That would be a good start for this game IMO (assuming the combat is good)
I LOST MY BALLOON

Tied for pizza delivery as the greatest side activity ever

Neoxon

This Spider-Man isn't going to get killed off randomly like the Spider-Man from the MvC universe, right?

Jokes aside, I'm glad Marvel's pushing Spider-Man, my personal GOAT in the entire Marvel universe.
I feel like they'll explain it away if MvC4 happens.

curb

Banned
What I like about Arkham Knight is that the city stays populated with people to beat up even after you finish everything. That would be a good start for this game IMO (assuming the combat is good)

Definitely some of that. I'm sure we'll get stuff on the level of purse thiefs and whatnot. I'd just like it if they found a way to make one purse snatching feel different from the next. One could result in a straight chase while another could end up in a back alley fighting a bunch of thugs. Just something to mix it up.

Random crimes, car chases that aren't just quicktime events, people trapped in burning buildings that offer more than just find and extract. I really just want to city stuff to mix it up some.

I want random encounters with C-Lister. Loved how Shocker randomly wanted to rob shops in Ultimate Spider-Man.

That would be good too. I'm sure not everyone will appreciate you calling Shocker a c-lister though.

I actually don't want this at all. I want it more like Mafia 2 - give me a city to swing around, but then give me major missions, levels. Make it actually more linear, but give me a really fun way to get to the linear. A few collectibles etc are fine. Actually, the structure of Sunset Overdrive is pretty much perfect for this.

With the random events happening, I feel like they should copy GTA5 a bit, where someone could be asking for your help and it leads to you getting ambushed or maybe they actually need your help or something and it leads into breaking up a gang of enemies. Loads of random little things just made Los Santos feel more alive and I feel it could benefit this game.

Also I'm so happy that Sony and Insomniac are coming together to make a Spidey game. The love I have for this guy and not getting a good game since Ultimate Spider-Man has been unbearable.

I really do love the fact that Sony goes out there and tries to secure the best exclusives for their platform. Either through 1st parties or 3rd party deals. If this game was exclusive to another platform, I'd be there day 1, not complaining about exclusives on the Internet.

curb

Banned
I actually don't want this at all. I want it more like Mafia 2 - give me a city to swing around, but then give me major missions, levels. Make it actually more linear, but give me a really fun way to get to the linear. A few collectibles etc are fine. Actually, the structure of Sunset Overdrive is pretty much perfect for this.

I don't disagree on the base mainline story stuff. I want that linearity too. I'd just hate to have an awesome city with nothing to do in it once the main story is done. I don't really need a bunch of distractions on the main story path but I do want to be able to come back to that open city and have a realistic level of crime and people that need Spidey's help.

With the random events happening, I feel like they should copy GTA5 a bit, where someone could be asking for your help and it leads to you getting ambushed or maybe they actually need your help or something and it leads into breaking up a gang of enemies. Loads of random little things just made Los Santos feel more alive and I feel it could benefit this game.

Stuff like this sounds good to me. I'd like stuff like this that are repeatable but with variations so that's not repetitive.

curb

Banned
July 7, 2017. That said, they would have given a 2017 time frame if the game was coming alongside Spider-Man: Homecoming. This isn't a tie-in game.

It's not but I'm sure releasing the game around the same time as a Spidey movie hype would encourage some extra sales. That being said, I'm still thinking this is a holiday 2017 game.

Wezzulus

Neo Member
July 7, 2017. That said, they would have given a 2017 time frame if the game was coming alongside Spider-Man: Homecoming. This isn't a tie-in game.

It looks a bit like a tie-in to me. The suit resembles the MCU suit quite a bit. Might be the same kind of thing they did with AMS2, which told it's own story but came out with the movie.

Wollan

Likely a big E3 push July 13-15th next year w/bundle announcement.
The movie happens on July 7th and it remains on the charts well into August.
Spider-man PS4 release September in the run-up towards holiday season.

Neoxon

It looks a bit like a tie-in to me. The suit resembles the MCU suit quite a bit. Might be the same kind of thing they did with AMS2, which told it's own story but came out with the movie.
Well Insomniac made it pretty clear that it isn't. The only aspect of this Spidey that resembles the MCU Spidey is the mask & the style of the patterns on the blue fabric of his suit. Everything else is this game's own thing.

If anything, Holiday 2017 seems like a more likely release date for this game, & that's just me being optimistic. A 2018 release wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

I don't see either GoW or Spider-Man getting pushed out of 2017. Seems like both have been in the oven for quite a while.

I'll just guess that Spidey is in the UC4 spot next year (late May/early June), and God of War in October. Big showing for Spidey at PSX, huge set piece for God of War at E3.
Nah...both 2018. Don't get your hopes up. Ambitious games always seem to get delayed. I'm sure they will both shoot for 2017 and get pushed to 2018. I think Sony wants anything coming from in house to be top notch now. I think they are competing with Nintendo in quality releases now. There's no reason not too when 3rd party and Indy releases complement such a big part of Sony's portfolio. WWS games have to be high quality.

when was the last time sony released a major aaa first party title in the fall/holiday?
I think Uncharted Collection? I think it's smart to just leave it for 3rd big titles, unless it's a completely different genre or Somehting like Gran Turismo which has its own lane.

If you launch early in the year or Summer you can market again for the Holiday season

curb

Banned
Well Insomniac made it pretty clear that it isn't. The only aspect of this Spidey that resembles the MCU Spidey is the mask & the style of the patterns on the blue fabric of his suit. Everything else is this game's own thing.

I've seen a lot of people assume it's tied to Homecoming really just based solely on the costume's eyes. Yes, they're very similar but the suit also borrows a lot from other Spider-costumes. It's kind of a "greatest hits" of Spidey's blue and red wardrobe - not just MCU Spider-Man. And as you say, they've been very clear it isn't a movie tie-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom