• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
Despite being super hyped by this and it being my game of show (even going out and buying Spidey 2 and 3 for the PS2 and 3 respectively), the more I watch the trailer (a lot), the more I start questioning gameplay.

Like flipping through the diner. Is that a QTE-fest or an auto-running sequence a la AC3 through windows? I hope not. If we're in control, what prompts the flips and why? Unless they're incorporating a parkour/trick system in the vain of Tony Hawk to make us want to jump and flip instead of running in a straight line?

Same with some of the close-ups, zooms, pans, and slow-mo during webslinging... I hope they have a hero shot mechanic for a photo mode or in game photo taking instead of just being used during cinematics and loading transitions mid-gameplay.

Basically, I need more footage!
you're overthinking the trailer

you're overthinking the trailer
I am.

I like closeups and such during gameplay so long as control isn't sacrificed. I just want to know what's going on during some of these sequences.

I don't want just a pulled back camera until a cool sequence pops up and then it become almost non-interactive.

I think playing the older spidey games is harming my hype lol.

Edit: while fun at the time, they lack that oomph of being Spider-man because the camera is so far back and it's so loose.

I am.

I like closeups and such during gameplay so long as control isn't sacrificed. I just want to know what's going on during some of these sequences.

I don't want just a pulled back camera until a cool sequence pops up and then it become almost non-interactive.

I think playing the older spidey games is harming my hype lol.

Other Insomniac games like Ratchet and Sunset Overdrive may be an indication of he type of control that you'll have. They try to keep you in control of all the cool stuff.

I'm more worried about the character designs. I hope they don't go the route of trying to make villains somewhat realistic(think goblin armor in spidey 1) instead of a comic style

bunkitz

I'm more worried about the character designs. I hope they don't go the route of trying to make villains somewhat realistic(think goblin armor in spidey 1) instead of a comic style

It's Insomniac, so I wouldn't worry about them going for a realistic approach to the character designs. I'm sure they'll stick closely to the comic book designs, especially since they're working so closely with Marvel Games.

Same haha

Thirded. It's just so good.

On the topic of past Spidey games, how on earth were both the film and game versions of Spidey 3 such a massive disappointment? I simply don't get it, with Spider-Man 2 being so well-received and acclaimed.

It's like if after Arkham Asylum came out WB had assigned a far inferior studio to make City. I know they had movie deadlines to work to (which is probably the answer to the conundrum really), but I just can't believe they screwed it up that bad. Game Grumps did a play through, and the combat just looks gross, even for 2007.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Voice from the trailer makes it seem like it's adult Spidey right? Or am I imagining things?

Two Words

FUSE seemed like a bust and Sunset Overdrive seemed to be significantly capped by being an Xbox One exclusive. The Ratchet & Clank remake seems to have been very successful. I wonder if Insomniac is going to to return to being a psuedo-first party for PlayStation.

FUSE seemed like a bust and Sunset Overdrive seemed to be significantly capped by being an Xbox One exclusive. The Ratchet & Clank remake seems to have been very successful. I wonder if Insomniac is going to to return to being a psuedo-first party for PlayStation.
If this does well I can see them being a Spiderman/Marvel Sony dev for the forseeable future.

If this does well I can see them being a Spiderman/Marvel Sony dev for the forseeable future.
I'm sure this will be a long-term partnership between the two, but I wouldn't write off work outside the franchise. Insomniac has become a pretty big studio - releasing multiple VR games this year, on top of the Ratchet & Clank remaster. Plus assistance with the film, and pre-pro on this project.

It's not impossible to see a world where they handle Spiderman AND another R&C, or even a Sunset Overdrive sequel.

I'm sure this will be a long-term partnership between the two, but I wouldn't write off work outside the franchise. Insomniac has become a pretty big studio - releasing multiple VR games this year, on top of the Ratchet & Clank remaster. Plus assistance with the film, and pre-pro on this project.

It's not impossible to see a world where they handle Spiderman AND another R&C, or even a Sunset Overdrive sequel.
Well at the moment, this is their biggest project to date and most of people in insomniac is working on spiderman.

Maybe they will expand again if the game is a success

HussiZooT

I want to see more of this game. Maybe PSX will have a gameplay reveal? It should. When's PSX again? December? So that's like what... 6 months? Sure. It'll go by fast. It should. It will yeah? Yeah?

I can't wait that long!

It's Insomniac, so I wouldn't worry about them going for a realistic approach to the character designs. I'm sure they'll stick closely to the comic book designs, especially since they're working so closely with Marvel Games.

Hope so. I just thought I heard in a interview somewhere that they were taking their own spin on designs

bunkitz

Hope so. I just thought I heard in a interview somewhere that they were taking their own spin on designs

Probably in the same way that their Spider-Man design is unique and their own, yet somehow still faithful to the source material.

---

It only just occurred to me how strange a choice Yuri Lowenthal is. I mean, nothing against him, although he always sounds almost exactly the same, but it's weird to think that they're making this a franchise and they went with him. They could have taken an iconic Spider-Man voice or at least someone who's not so... well, like I said, someone who sounds almost always the same in everything he does.

I think Insomniac can juggle Spiderman and Ratchet and Clank. They'll also have other work on the side.

This deal does work out great for Insomniac though. At the very least, they'll have Spider-Man to work on in the foreseeable future. They won't have to worry about finding lots of work with that IP in their stable.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
CmsdxuzVMAAXZYR.jpg

CmOKQUGVEAIoep4.jpg

Cl75ASBUgAAZP-o.jpg

Cl75AZCUYAACkJl.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The white isn't terrible but the shit on his arms is ghastly.

In some of these shots people are posting, 4th of July Spider-Man is neat, but then the arms/hands... gross. Reminds me of the worst comic book stuff from the 90's.

diaspora

I'm glad we're getting adult/veteran spider-man. But, I still think the outfit is ghastly and lack of a PC version is disappointing- for preservation and backwards compatibility more than anything else.

Taker666

I don't mind the white spider design....but I hate the blue bit that goes over the shoulders.

Looks like he has a couple of bikini straps or is wearing an invisible rucksack.

Sephzilla

The white parts of the emblem/gloves need some black around the edges, like how the eyes are done. That slight inconsistency bugs me.

sense

When is this game targeted for release? It has 12/26/17 on the Gamestop website.... that is over a year away.

that is the million dollar question! we know Insomniac is working on this for around a year and half and it is supposedly the biggest team they have ever had on for a project. marvel has said the game is not tied to the movie and the team is under no pressure to release it around the movie. my guess is that the target is holiday 2017 to maximize sales potential a few months after movie release alongside bluray release but it could get pushed back to early 2018 if needed

F4r0_Atak

are we certain its exclusive?

Well we got 2 facts to take into account regarding this matter...

1st: Marvel said officially that this new one and the future Spider-man games are exclusive to Playstation.

2nd: This game is published by Playstation/SIE. Don't expect this game on any other platform.

I know it's not going to happen and it's stupid...

But speaking of Sony exclusive superhero open world games, I would lose my shit if there was a Gravity Rush/Infamous cameo. Like imagine if evil Delsin was optional sidequest supervillain.

It's being developed by Insomniac but I mean it's a Sony exclusive so really anything could happen. Don't act like weirder crossovers haven't happened in games before

It's funny when people ask for certain cameos... Don't expect an inFamous cameo as the series had its early comic book(s) published by DC comics.

I'm glad we're getting adult/veteran spider-man. But, I still think the outfit is ghastly and lack of a PC version is disappointing- for preservation and backwards compatibility more than anything else.

How the lack of a PC version is disappointing? The fact that Disney (which includes also Marvel) is not publishing consoles (and PC) games anymore and that they decided to license their IPs and franchises instead should have given a better idea of what to expect. Also, don't forget that this Spider-man game is published by SIE/Playstation. It should have been obvious with this too that there wouldn't be a PC version with the game being published by them.

I have to imagine we'd be able to unlock various incarnations of Spidey's suit. It would be fun if we could choose between various comic book versions, as well as the three movie versions (Maquire, Garfield, and Holland). Insomniac always has multitudes of unlockables.

How the lack of a PC version is disappointing? The fact that Disney (which includes also Marvel) is not publishing consoles (and PC) games anymore and that they decided to license their IPs and franchises instead should have given a better idea of what to expect. Also, don't forget that this Spider-man game is published by SIE/Playstation. It should have been obvious with this too that there wouldn't be a PC version with the game being published by them.

And don't forget that Sony had the movie rights to Spider-Man. They struck that deal with Marvel to bring Spider-Man into the MCU fold. Some speculate this was part of the negotiations. However, I think overall Sony and Disney in the last few years have had a tightening relationship, at least in regards to video games. So many of the Disney owned LucasArts games have been console exclusive to PlayStation (Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, etc.). And then there is all the Star Wars content.

diaspora

If you had or were able to read past the word "disappointing", you'd see that I explained why.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
if all else fails they could just add alt costumes you could choose from like the arkham games do to please people who like the costume and the others that dont

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
The white isn't terrible but the shit on his arms is ghastly.

In some of these shots people are posting, 4th of July Spider-Man is neat, but then the arms/hands... gross. Reminds me of the worst comic book stuff from the 90's.

You gotta understand he's a veteran, he's no rookie in this game so maybe he uses that white "shit" on his arms to protect him more? like when he's in full swing and lands on a building. He learned from his mistakes in the past and uses more stuff now to protect himself.

icespide

Banned
they've hinted that there are story reasons for the white parts of the costume. I doubt they'd change the design and is guess alternate suits would be a new game + thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom