• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
"Sunset Overdrive is the game we've always wanted to make!"

"Yo you wanna make SpiderMan?"

'Who gives a fuck bout energy sludge WEB SLINGING UP IN YA!!"

i present: the last few years at Insomniac

Just had to pop in to say still ridonkulously hyped up for this. That spidey fanart from last page is seeeeeeeeeriously legit. He looks so good. Everything in the trailer looks so solid. UHG... i get the shakes just thinking bout swinging around NY again.

still would love to make a Sunset Overdrive 2, obviously.

also I mean - Spider-Man is amazing, working with Marvel? We are super stoked.

still would love to make a Sunset Overdrive 2, obviously.

also I mean - Spider-Man is amazing, working with Marvel? We are super stoked.

It'd be nice if we could get another Ratchet and Clank that had the budget and resources that were put into Sunset Overdrive and surely this new Spider Man. The remake felt a little gimped compared to past mainline titles.

I hope the world is full of incidental fun things to do. Ideally I would like to be going from point A to B when I see a bad guy stealing a purse or shooting at cops and be able to intervene. But, like tons of those possibilities that can happen dymanically, not just a few scripted ones.

I know Insomniac can make a fun Spider-Man game, I just hope they can tell a compelling story while still capturing Spidey's sense of humor.

Oh, and please don't have a morality system or some other version of it. Spider-Man is a hero who saves citizens and cities, let's not make it so Manhattan hunts him because he fails/ignores side missions. Please, please don't make this mistake.

10 points if you can
steal Green Goblin's glider and have at least one flying section.

curb

Banned
Oh, and please don't have a morality system or some other version of it. Spider-Man is a hero who saves citizens and cities, let's not make it so Manhattan hunts him because he fails/ignores side missions. Please, please don't make this mistake.

Seconded.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope that Insomniac nails this game, but there are a few things that worry me. First off, I found the parkour gameplay of Sunset Overdrive to be a bit joyless, in the same way that a driving game can be joyless if it doesnt convey a good sense of speed. The jumping, grinding and general traversal was in no way exhilarating in Sunset, and thats something that they absolutely have to nail in a Spiderman game.

Secondly, Insomniac doesnt have much experience when it comes to creating games with intricate combat systems, which in my opinion, is another aspect that has to be good in order for the game as a whole to deliver. For example, i doubt that the Batman Arkham franchise would have been such a success if the combat was mediocre, and i think the same would probably be true of a spiderman game. Whats more, i would imagine that its a lot more challenging to create a good combat system for someone with spiderman's abilities because of the sheer amount of things he can do, and should be able to do.

bunkitz

Huh. Surprised to see other people shipping Carol and Peter. I knew the ship existed, but it almost felt like I was the only one shipping them. Wouldn't really want it in the game, though, cause it's likely to feel kind of awkward and... forced? Fan service-y and all that.

Yeah, there shouldn't be any sort of morality system. A superhero shouldn't have one. A vigilante or anti-hero like Wolverine, Punisher, or Deadpool would make sense, but not somebody like Spider-Man or Superman. Somebody suggested something else several pages back, though: a system where players have to choose between Peter's life and Spider-Man's. It would be perfect and totally appropriate for a Spider-Man game.

fan bitching saved us from a horrible looking Cole in Infamous 2, though
Actually, the fan bitching gave us this godawful abomination who still looks nothing like the original Cole anyway:

15005.jpg

vs.

qkJ0x.jpg

I'm just glad they gave us an interesting design in Delsin.

Actually, the fan bitching gave us this godawful abomination who still looks nothing like the original Cole anyway:

15005.jpg

vs.

qkJ0x.jpg

It was a better compromise than what could have been. I would never have accepted nu-Cole as the same person from the original.

This has nothing to do with which one I'd prefer visually without context. Recasting sucks in all forms unless it's a reboot.

Yeah, there shouldn't be any sort of morality system. A superhero shouldn't have one. A vigilante or anti-hero like Wolverine, Punisher, or Deadpool would make sense, but not somebody like Spider-Man or Superman. Somebody suggested something else several pages back, though: a system where players have to choose between Peter's life and Spider-Man's. It would be perfect and totally appropriate for a Spider-Man game.
That would actually be pretty great, though I'm not sure how they'd incentivize not choosing a spider-man responsibility over a Parker one.

BokehKing

Banned
I would really really love some side missions involving s camera, being a photographer and Peter being a photographer, idk I would just love to see that in the game. Take x amount of shots and earn some extra income from JJ or something.
Hell I wish the more creative we got with shots the more money we made or able to view other users pictures, but that's some Meta shit that would push the game too far back.

I mean any "Spiderman is public enemy No. 1" from the comics is literally the media's misinterpreting what he does. It's never or rarely Spiderman being a dick, it's J. Jonah Jameson spinning him as being culpable for the city's problems. In that context, a morality system makes zero sense.

I mean any "Spiderman is public enemy No. 1" from the comics is literally the media's misinterpreting what he does. It's never or rarely Spiderman being a dick, it's J. Jonah Jameson spinning him as being culpable for the city's problems. In that context, a morality system makes zero sense.

I agree, plus there's like never any time where peter shirks his responsibility as spidey, to the detriment of his relationships with people sadly, I don't think a choice system would work at all in a game about spider-man

NastyBook

15005.jpg

vs.

qkJ0x.jpg

Cole with hair was always trash. And it's a damn shame Sucker Punch never went back to time travel. Could've made Second Son infinitely more enjoyable.

Does anyone know if the game only lets you web swing if there is a surface for the webbing to stick to like in Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man?

Or does it have the shit magical web swinging like literally every other Spider-Man game?

Does anyone know if the game only lets you web swing if there is a surface for the webbing to stick to like in Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man?

Or does it have the shit magical web swinging like literally every other Spider-Man game?

Well again we've literally seen a 90 second trailer. But they've put an immense amount of love into this game clearly, they've been given more time as it's not tied into a movie release, and it looks like the acrobatics are refined and interesting.

I'd bet my left web swinger that you will not see weblines ascending into the clouds.

But then I almost wish this thread were locked for the pointless conjecture and bumps it brings...

HEY GUYS IMAGINE IF THERE WERE A MORALITY SYSTEM

NZerker12

Please don't bump this thread unless there is any new news.

Thank you.

Seriously please don't, this is one of my most anticipated games and you can imagine how excited I got.

I will be sad if this game is completely absent from Gamescom.

Might as well start preparing myself for nothing!

Sony's not even holding a conference at Gamescom, and they're not going to show anything more about this game without a big stage to present it on. I expect we'll get some more footage at PSX, but probably won't hear a release date until at least E3 next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom