• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

This is what I'm thinking. If there were 3 times as many players on ice cream side...then cake had to fight that much harder? Though I kept seeing some people say they were fighting ice cream vs ice cream.

No, that happens. When there's not enough in queue of the other team, civil war match ups happen. They do not add to the win or lose percentage, but they serve to level up your rank regardless.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
squidkids and octogirls all wear spats you weirdos

Marina doesnt in the same way, top 10% of her ass is exposed and right side is 30% down, lots of visible butt
QVfonPq.jpg
Wouldn't be shocked if it's changed but if not no biggie ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is aiming with motion controls faster than sticks? I played with right analog aiming in the last beta and it seemed weirdly irresponsible and sluggish compared to motion controls, but I have no idea if that was just me.

tolkir

Thanks.
Damn... so cake lost : /.
Fro the beginning I can't understand why ice cream is that more popular.
Why is that a thing ? (aside from : "because it's obvious", which doesn't mean anything)

Well, at least I had fun.

People were playing a Pearl vs Marina fanvote Splatfest. I don't know what you're talking about cakes and ice creams.

Waji

People were playing a Pearl vs Marina fanvote Splatfest. I don't know what you're talking about cakes and ice creams.
I literally read tons of posts of people saying ice cream was just obviously better than cake. And some didn't seem to be joking at all.

But then again, what's the point of the choice if the 2 girls are also chosing.
I think their own choice (...) if really useful, should be mentionned after the result, not before the festival.

21x2

Does the movement feel slower in this game? I'm usually a pretty bad judge of these sorts of things.

No Swim Speed Up or Run Speed Up abilities on your gear did drive down the speed for me at least, probably good since I haven't played the first one a lot in the last year. Towards the end I was starting to move around very efficiently though, and that drove the speed up considerably.

wrowa

Thanks.
Damn... so cake lost : /.
Fro the beginning I can't understand why ice cream is that more popular.
Why is that a thing ? (aside from : "because it's obvious", which doesn't mean anything)

Well, at least I had fun.

Well, it's Summer. Makes sense that people prefer ice cream when it's hot.

The real reason is that Marina is just so much cooler than Pearl, though. Like, it's not even a contest. Marina is too cool for her own good. I don't even like ice cream and yet I chose ice cream, because after all how could I possible not choose Marina's team?

Waji

Well, it's Summer. Makes sense that people prefer ice cream when it's hot.

The real reason is that Marina is just so much cooler than Pearl, though. Like, it's not even a contest. Marina is too cool for her own good. I don't even like ice cream and yet I chose ice cream, because after all how could I possible not choose Marina's team?
I chosed the team cake because I prefer cake over ice cream, not because I prefer one of the 2 girls design.
And I say in another post it means 100% of the choices are going to be about the girls, not the choice itself, so there's actually no point in having it at all.

So that's the reason some people did IC vs IC. I never fought any other cake team (but I played European Fes).

yananana

Damn, so the NA & EU results eventually were merged. That's a shame, went to sleep before the NA Splatfest and hoped we'd have had separate results.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
it's bullshit
I don't want the EU to be mixed up with trumpland

Yeap. I wouldn't trust anything voted within US right now. Americans don't even know how a real cake tastes.
They're all asleep now, right?

I want separate result for Europe!

Waji

More than likely the next splatfests will be more unique from each other.
I hope so. I felt like cake was doing well in Europe.
Got destroyed a few times but I had such glorious victories and overall better win rate so I had (irrational) hope.
I regret playing for ~20 minutes with the roller and charger at the beginning, I probably made my teams far weaker than necessary.

I preordered the JP version of the game but I have a question. I think matchmaking is based on ping. Since I live in Europe ping will be higher for Japanese server than the EU servers. During the matchmaking am I going to play with EU players or JP players ? The problem is the difference between the EU and JP versions in this case.

I preordered the JP version of the game but I have a question. I think matchmaking is based on ping. Since I live in Europe ping will be higher for Japanese server than the EU servers. During the matchmaking am I going to play with EU players or JP players ? The problem is the difference between the EU and JP versions in this case.

This is what I suspected when I found myself competing with more English users than I would've thought.

Don't get cooked, Stay off the hook just doesn't work as well as Stay Fresh.
Feels so forced and game specific.

When you listen to the animation, you hear that they are totally supposed to be saying the japanese version:
ぬりたく〜る。。。テンタクル!!
"Nuritaku~ru... Tentakuru!!"
Which is a "cool sounding special move shout" amalgamation of "Wanting to paint"+"cool" and "Tentacle".
Probably difficult to translate as is. Imagine them ending their broadcast with:
Super Painting... Tentacle!!

Yukinari

Splatfest tallies have had so many problems in the past that they had to change the mechanics and it still wasnt perfect.

Remember Pirates vs Ninjas? Too many people picked ninjas so pirates won because the ninjas had nobody to fight.

I saw someone make this comparison in the past, but especially after today I totally get Yolandi Visser (Die Antwoord) vibes from Pearl and I love it.

images

Jintor

When you listen to the animation, you hear that they are totally supposed to be saying the japanese version:
ぬりたく〜る。。。テンタクル!!
"Nuritaku~ru... Tentakuru!"
Which is a "cool sounding special move shout" amalgamation of "Wanting to paint"+"cool" and "Tentacle".
Probably difficult to translate as is. Imagine them ending their broadcast with:
Super Painting... Tentacle!!

japanese 'cool sounding gibberish' is so lame when translated lol

i mean ika yoroshiku is literally just 'squid treat me kindly' which simply doesn't pun in english

Top Bottom