• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

meppi

I saw someone make this comparison in the past, but especially after today I totally get Yolandi Visser (Die Antwoord) vibes from Pearl and I love it.

images

Yeah that was me. Still getting a similar vibe. :)

Kneefoil

I think Splatoon did Splatfest scoring better. People liked complaining about the score multipliers, but this new system puts too much weight on popularity. In order for the less popular choice to win, they would need to win both solo and team battles, but match making is so random that there is essentially a 50% chance for a team to win one of the categories. As a result, chances are that one team wins solo and the other one wins team, so I think most Splatfests will simply become a popularity vote, unless they change the system.

That's what it seems like to me, anyways. I really hope future Splatfests will prove me wrong, because I think we'll be stuck with this scoring for at least the next few of them.

So out of curiosity, what kits did everyone like playing with in the end? Personally I played most with the Tentatek Splattershot. The main weapon was already familiar to me, but my biggest reason was to play around with inkjet, which is a super fun special that I'm excited to play around with more.

Hedge

Not sure why the green girl is more popular than the pink. I like the demeanor of the pink and the iridescent colour scheme.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So out of curiosity, what kits did everyone like playing with in the end? Personally I played most with the Tentatek Splattershot. The main weapon was already familiar to me, but my biggest reason was to play around with inkjet, which is a super fun special that I'm excited to play around with more.

Roller. Vertical splat is king.

jdstorm

Banned

Dualies.

Its short range fast and packs a punch, all things that are great for me considering i am bad at aiming. The Tentamissles are also great because they are probably the fastest weapon to shoot and rely on minimal accuracy.

Wamb0wneD

Roller, because it was my first time playing and i did best with it. 16 splats and painting everything in the meantime without aiming too much? yes please.

Wollan

Biggest flaws (should be patched) for game currently are:
  • No weapon change mid-game
  • Nothing less than four players accepted for friend teams (I read)
Additions?

Hasney

Additions?

You can queue in normal modes without 2 or 3 I believe. I wouldn't hold your breath for weapon change. I want it, but it never happened on the original.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Soo Euro results and US results will be added up or what? I wouldn't like this at all, you guys will fuck up our highly scientifical and objectively more correct results with your social media hivemind campaigns :/

edit found twitter pics of the EU and NA results and yeah it's the same. Boo, that sucks, here's hoping it's just for the demo splatfest. How did it work on WiiU?

I would really love a Full-Solo splatoon spin-off, there's so much potential with these characters!

who's with me?

Additions?

you can't even change the weapon when you're waiting for an other team... because of that you sometimes end with a team with the same weapon for everyone!

J@hranimo

Banned
Additions?

I wanted this initially when I first started playing Splatoon back in 2015, but as I played more I realized the game isn't designed for this. It teaches how to fully learn a weapon and commit to it during the 3-5 minute match (depending on mode) and can be a detriment during said match when you have teammates taking too long switching weapons when they could be covering turf, gaining mid of the map and pushing the objective.

I do wish you could change weapons in-between matches while going solo.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I wanted this initially when I first started playing Splatoon back in 2015, but as I played more I realized the game isn't designed for this. It teaches how to fully learn a weapon and commit to it during the 3-5 minute match (depending on mode) and can be a detriment during said match when you have teammates taking too long switching weapons when they could be covering turf, gaining mid of the map and pushing the objective.

I do wish you could change weapons in-between matches while going solo.

Yeah but then you run into an all roller situation and that's not something you can carry.

13ruce

Banned
Squid Sisters vs Off the Hook would be cool but if they do please let them perform all together on the stage for a fair choice:p With improved animations for the sisters.

Jintor

the other thing with weapons is that you have to match them to the maps on rotation.

dualies on the towers and the skatepark was not a great choice. viable, sure, but not a fave.

Waji

Seems like it was indeed much better to play with the Cake team. I had lots of very interesting matches, making close win/lose very rewarding.
Made me so hyped for the game ~next week.

Also disappointed by the fact popularity actually gives an edge to a side.
Not to mention the choice itself never existed as soon as the girls gave their own answer.
This should really be kept for the result.

I'd like to see people winning for a team supported by the girl they don't like. Would serve them right ^^.

the other thing with weapons is that you have to match them to the maps on rotation.

dualies on the towers and the skatepark was not a great choice. viable, sure, but not a fave.
Though I rarely had any trouble with roller users, they were the easiest to hit and I don't remember being hit by a lot of them at all.
Not saying it's not a good weapon but whatever the map, I think they were always the easiest to manage, maybe it's just me : P.

I could see why the roller or charger would be great for the towers level obviously, but maybe it made that easier for me to read strategies I don't know...
The only thing I was sure about is that the jet pack was terrible in this level. I should have switched for the dual instead of sticking with the basic gun.

trixx

Good stuff all around. I mean it plays basically like the first game. Though now I can't use the non motion control scheme at all.

I do miss the convenience of having the map on the bottom screen. At the very least they could have a transparent/translucent map that you can pop open on bottom right hand corner

Isn't popularity the whole point of the Splatfest? Remove popularity, and then the less popular team has a major advantage because all of their matches contribute to the score. Which means that if more skilled players choose the less popular option, then they are likely to win more matches and the matches they win will actually count towards the score.

13ruce

Banned
Popularity is part of a splatfest metric in any event, so of course it should count imho

Honestly it would be sad if in these 2 years all splatfest events are one sided to Marina so they have to do something.

In Japan Pearl will atleast win alot:p

trixx

Isn't popularity the whole point of the Splatfest? Remove popularity, and then the less popular team has a major advantage because all of their matches contribute to the score. Which means that if more skilled players choose the less popular option, then they are likely to win more matches and the matches they win will actually count towards the score.
First it was popularity then it was more based on team wins as well as popularity which likely led to less popular team winning.
Though it was much closer splatfest results when the wins were also taken into account, and sometimes the more popular team will end up winning despite the general lower win %

Kalor

It's too early to say that Pearl will never win a splatfest. Ice cream was always going to win, no matter who had it.

First it was popularity then it was more based on team wins as well as popularity which likely led to less popular team winning.
Though it was much closer splatfest results when the wins were also taken into account, and sometimes the more popular team will end up winning despite the general lower win %

Yeah, I liked how one of the first Splatfests handled it with the double multiplier on wins, which seemed fair. Then they changed it to 4 or 6 and it felt way too weighted then.

Played as Cake. Overall I had no connection issues, and never had to wait more than a few seconds for a match.

Used roller and focused on inking ground mostly, but managed 1-2 opportunist kills each round. My won / lost ratio was about 50/50. I was only the top player on my team once, mostly they carried me.

I got better the more I played, but I kept forgetting to use the special when I could!

Top Bottom