• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

Synth

It feels super clunky to me, but I might try it more when the full game comes out and I have more chance to test stuff out.

I'm very new to Splatoon in general, having picked up the original game only a few days ago, and just blown through the singleplayer and a handful of online games prior to this splatfest... but I've gotta say that the moment I jumped into even just the training area, I immediately felt as though the controls were notably less precise than in the original game.

Eh?

I only use the stick to reorient myself. For actual aiming I just use the gyro and can do full 180's and greater with it if needed, and that's at -3.5 (stick's at +5 though since I don't use it for any aiming at all, so jacking it up to +5 lets me turn super fast).

Yea, but you still actually do need the stick then.

Neiteio

Biggest disappointment is that there's no longer the ker-PLUNK sound effect when diving into your own ink from a great height. I loved in Splatoon 1 how it sounded like a golf ball landing in water. Now there's no sound at all.

Odd omission, although maybe they reasoned that the ink is shallow and shouldn't make such sounds?

atr0cious

I tried it all, motion on, motion off, split joy con, pro controller, every sensitivity, nothing feels right.

And I'm that person that goes on cod and goes 96-5 on domination.
Well cod and almost every other game has some form of auto aim, even when it's turned "off" to help control the inaccuracy of a stick. Splatoon gives you the raw input, so it's really about your aim. Also there's a difference between tps and fps, especially in regards to how Splatoon implements crosshairs.

sanstesy

Most first-person shooters on consoled have some default auto-aim turned on. Splatoon doesn't even have the option and that's why it feels different to your average console FPS.

Biggest disappointment is that there's no longer the ker-PLUNK sound effect when diving into your own ink from a great height. I loved in Splatoon 1 how it sounded like a golf ball landing in water. Now there's no sound at all.

Odd omission, although maybe they reasoned that the ink is shallow and shouldn't make such sounds?

It still makes that sound when I played it yesterday. Maybe it is less pronounced, though? Didn't really pay too much attention.

tkscz

Gifs 4 Gaf I made from splatfest

tumblr_ot6vkw4Jne1rqnx6oo1_400.gif

tumblr_ot6vkw4Jne1rqnx6oo2_400.gif

tumblr_ot60a2ugMX1rqnx6oo1_400.gif

tumblr_ot60a2ugMX1rqnx6oo2_400.gif

Busaiku

I really don't like Tenta Missiles.
Sometimes I just can't find any targets and I'm stuck for like 10 seconds doing nothing.

yananana

What do people think the ages are of the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook are (the splatoon idols)? i think they are all young adults atleast. Just like how bieber and ariana and other musicans or actors still have that teenager like look but are 20+ already.

About Pearl i dunno tho maybe she just always was short lol or she is sill just a kid.

I remember reading that player inklings are supposed to be around 14-15 years old. With that in mind, I think Callie, Marie & Marina looks to be around 18-21, like, young adults like you said. As for Pearl, I guess she just happens to be shorter (and looks younger) for someone of her age, or something? I dunno, maybe she's an exception.

Busaiku

I mean, deploy them when enemies are nearby and you know you can find them. Just like any special weapon.
Yeah, but I can't use it as freely as others, since it leaves me with no defense far more often.
With Inkjet, I'm a huge target, but at least I have a shot of sniping. With Tenta Missiles, I'm just a big target. So I have to get to a safer place, then I have to find them, and then lose time launching.
Just don't like it.

Sometimes I just can't find any targets and I'm stuck for like 10 seconds doing nothing.

Try to get high ground before using it. You should be able to consistently find targets if you are elevated and have a better view of the map. I would usually lock at least 2 people in. On Moray I usually got all 4 of them locked in since the map is so small.

Edit: you posted as I was posting, high ground will also help you not get picked off when using it. You'll be able to see anyone coming towards you and they'll have to ink their way up to you. Gives you plenty of time to fire them off and if worse comes to worse, just lock on the person coming at you and take them out/escape.

Neiteio

Yeah, but I can't use it as freely as others, since it leaves me with no defense far more often.
With Inkjet, I'm a huge target, but at least I have a shot of sniping. With Tenta Missiles, I'm just a big target. So I have to get to a safer place, then I have to find them, and then lose time launching.
Just don't like it.
I was murdering people with the Tenta Missiles in plain sight. *shrug*

I felt more vulnerable with the inkjet, where others would turn on me like antiair guns.

jorgejjvr

Eh?

I only use the stick to reorient myself. For actual aiming I just use the gyro and can do full 180's and greater with it if needed, and that's at -3.5 (stick's at +5 though since I don't use it for any aiming at all, so jacking it up to +5 lets me turn super fast).

I had to mess around with the sensitivity a bit before I got comfortable but eventually I found something that clicked. I do wish the motion controls were more fluid for turning horizontally though. I found keeping the motion controls at a lower setting (I think I settled on 1) and turning the right analog up (I think I did 3.5) gave me enough control to aim up/turn quickly without over shooting where I wanted to go.
I might have to try these recommendations

It feels too odd to me that the controls for aiming/shooting does not feel natural.

It's the most important aspect in a shooter

Yet I grab the next cod, the next titan fall, even gears of War, and it feels seamless, like I don't have to think about it twice. Unlike splatoon, where it feels I always have to fight against the game
Everything felt great to me. All those games have aim assist whereas Splatoon doesn't, perhaps that's what feels off for you.

Izayoi

Banned
this weapon is shitty honestly, it's way too easy to avoid! Never killed anyone with it and always avoied it without hassle
Yes, it's garbage. I love the dualies but I fucking hate the Tentamissile.

Everything felt great to me. All those games have aim assist whereas Splatoon doesn't, perhaps that's what feels off for you.
Yep. No aim assist takes some getting used to, especially if you are not using the gyro.

phanphare

Banned
yeah I loved the tenta missiles. you've gotta be aware of where you are when you launch them but it's a great way to get the upper hand when approaching someone.

the tenta missile burst bomb combo led to some really hilarious moments for me

Ottaro

this weapon is shitty honestly, it's way too easy to avoid! Never killed anyone with it and always avoied it without hassle
I stopped thinking of it as an attack move. Aim for enemies when theyre near their spawn so that you can get good ink coverage over there with it.

It's the high noon of splatoon. You might catch some people off guard but I use it as a way to zone. I only solo queued, but I imagine if you are playing with a team that's communicating, it would be useful in pushing the enemy back to retake turf or help distract enemies while your team goes in on them.

yananana

It's the high noon of splatoon. You might catch some people off guard but I use it as a way to zone. I only solo queued, but I imagine if you are playing with a team that's communicating, it would be useful in pushing the enemy back to retake turf or help distract enemies while your team goes in on them.

Yep, exactly. I thought it was great to zone and cover distant grounds. With the additional splat here and there too.

phanphare

Banned
like on humpback pump track I'd lock onto some people who were on the outer track, fire them off, then lob a burst bomb in front of where they were trying to escape. more often than not the indirect burst bomb hit plus the missiles would get me a splat.

Izayoi

Banned
I killed several people with tentamissiles.
I did too, but it always felt cumbersome. I really don't like how you can't drop it once you've initiated it - I don't care if I lose my super gauge, make that the price of dropping out of it.

I will be switching out to a loadout that does not include it as quickly as possible (I intend to primarily use the dualies).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually see the tenta missiles more for zone control in the mid range honestly once I got used to them.

Don't aim for faraway targets, aim for targets you can get to and splat them as they try to escape. The lockon is fast enough to make that viable.

Geg

Watch the top of the screen to see how many of the enemy team is alive or dead, find a good safe place to fire that also lets you look at a wide area of the map at once, and then activate it. That's how I did it during the first testfire and I usually locked onto at least 2 people each time I used it

jorgejjvr

In the first game I really liked this weapon with slow fire rate, but high damage and good range. Hopefully it is also in this game

I'm going to have to try some of the suggestions within motion given here

Ogodei

It's an inconvenience to have to move though. Tenta missiles were an annoyance when i was playing with the Charger because then i'd have to get down off of my perch, or if i had the Stingray deployed sometimes i wouldn't notice an incoming Tenta missile and get splatted. So it could be like the Killer Wail and be less about splatting (though sometimes you get lucky) and more about area denial

I did manage to rack up a decent number of kills with the Tenta Missile, though.

phanphare

Banned
I definitely like how you have to be way more mindful of how you're using your special this time around. each special has a risk reward factor and that's really nice coming from the first game. you can see it when you compare the ink jet to the inkzooka and the stingray to the killer wail.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I had a pretty decent rate of kills with this special and it's a very long range attack which I like,

honestly i can't play with motion, my hands are never still when i play so trying to be still to aim is a pain! I know you can player better with it, but it's just not for me!

It doesn't matter if it hits someone in turf war
from what i've seen, it doesn't cover a lot of area, it does?

Izayoi

Banned
I generally hate all types of motion controls, but I stuck with them for the event due to the overwhelming support for them on neogaf.

I completely regret my decision. Forcing you to use the right stick for limited x-axis movement felt unnatural. I'll try to force myself into using them with more practice come Friday, but I can see myself just using the pro controller dual stick setup and know that I'm a little handicapped against the top-tier players.
This is my biggest gripe, and why I immediately turned it off. I had the same issue with the first game. It is an incredibly strange decision and I just can't understand the logic behind not making it axis-agnostic.

Pro controller is more than adequate.

Top Bottom