• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

KingBroly

Banned
I think Splatoon did Splatfest scoring better. People liked complaining about the score multipliers, but this new system puts too much weight on popularity. In order for the less popular choice to win, they would need to win both solo and team battles, but match making is so random that there is essentially a 50% chance for a team to win one of the categories. As a result, chances are that one team wins solo and the other one wins team, so I think most Splatfests will simply become a popularity vote, unless they change the system.

That's what it seems like to me, anyways. I really hope future Splatfests will prove me wrong, because I think we'll be stuck with this scoring for at least the next few of them.

After they re-balanced the numbers in Splatfest in the original, the less popular team always won.

yananana

You guys use the motion controls for aiming or the stick?

As it was the first time ever for me playing Splatoon, I sticked with the regular controls for the Splatfest, as getting used to motion controls while playing MP matches would have been disastrous and just not fun for me and my teammates.

I do think motion controls are better and more viable, so I'll take time to adjust to them in SP at the game release.

Yukinari

I think my problem is that i always think the right stick lets me adjust for both axis and not just one alongside the motion.

Its a pain in the ass to aim the gyro really high up compared to the stick i feel.

I used motion controls. Of course, I used motion controls in Splatoon (1) as well. So I guess I was already used to it. With that said, I was surprised how with how easy it was to use the map+motion controls to squid jump to team mates and the spawn point. Felt natural.

jchap

I think my problem is that i always think the right stick lets me adjust for both axis and not just one alongside the motion.

Its a pain in the ass to aim the gyro really high up compared to the stick i feel.

I use Y to reset the camera with the controller low so its easy to look high

I loved the dualies but I didn't like the special attack. I preferred the single gun's special attack.

Wat?

I felt the dual pistols special was the weakest link of all specials. I found after a couple matches and i saw how it worked, it was extremely easy to avoid. As soon as i saw a circle i would just swim away. Its a cool idea for a special but it may need an increase on the speed of impact, IMO.

I felt the dual pistols special was the weakest link of all specials. I found after a couple matches and i saw how it worked, it was extremely easy to avoid. As soon as i saw a circle i would just swim away. Its a cool idea for a special but it may need an increase on the speed of impact, IMO.
I did the same whenever I noticed it! It's relatively easy to avoid if you keep an eye on your surroundings. Maybe they can fine tweak it.

I don't know, I got a lot of splats with it last night. Thing to do I think is to target players who are busy fighting your team mates so that they are distracted. Doing so makes the enemy become a lot more predictable. Also, much like the Inkstrike in the first game, it can be fired off at the end of the game to score some more turf.

jorgejjvr

The controllers feel off, with motion and without

It like doesn't click, feel like something is missing

Where other shooters nail the controls to feel just right. It's one of the most important things

Motion: odd that it's only one axis and I still need stick

Stick: going up down, left and right doesn't quite feel right with any sensitivity.

I also sometimes feel like I'm not sure where I have to aim. The oval aim is on top of a character and it doesn't hit him. Should it be in the circle? Or aim a bit up so he that the shots land on them?

Anyone finding the motion controls to be waaaay more sensitive than they were for Splatoon 1? Maybe I just need to set sensitivity down, maybe it's because the joycons (even with the grip) are significantly lighter than the gamepad, but I need to mess around with the settings more

yananana

I've been using the Dualies special ability to cover some distant ground, and saw that many opponents didn't bother covering it after it hit the ground. It'd then also give me sometimes a possibility to sneak up in enemy territory while staying in squid form in the pool that has been created. But I guess it's a bit obtuse.

ionitron

Bought the game on Amazon after last night. I had a lot of fun! I didn't really play Splatoon 1 because I thought it wasn't for me but I'll be happy to play this on release.

Yukinari

The controllers feel off, with motion and without

It like doesn't click, feel like something is missing

Where other shooters nail the controls to feel just right. It's one of the most important things

Stick: going up down, left and right doesn't quite feel right with any sensitivity.

I also sometimes feel like I'm not sure where I have to aim. The oval aim is on top of a character and it doesn't hit him. Should it be in the circle? Or aim a bit up so he that the shots land on them?

Its a shame cause if they could somehow make it work with pointer controls it would be nice. Goldeneye on wii plays really good with pointer.

jorgejjvr

Its a shame cause if they could somehow make it work with pointer controls it would be nice. Goldeneye on wii plays really good with pointer.
It feels too odd to me that the controls for aiming/shooting does not feel natural.

It's the most important aspect in a shooter

Yet I grab the next cod, the next titan fall, even gears of War, and it feels seamless, like I don't have to think about it twice. Unlike splatoon, where it feels I always have to fight against the game

It feels too odd to me that the controls for aiming/shooting does not feel natural.

Yet I grab the next cod, the next titan fall, even gears of War, and it feels seamless, like I don't have to think about it twice. Unlike splatoon, where it feels I always have to fight against the game

I felt the same exact way. Was constantly adjusting my controller sensitivity to find a good fit. Never have that issue in other shooters.

Biske

Its strange to see people talking about Splatoon Controls feeling off. Controls perfectly. Makes playing with a stick feel like I'm trying to use a controller with no hands.

atr0cious

Turn the sensitivity all the way up and it's almost 1:1 pointer aiming with split joycons. Hardest part for me was the map orientation and finding myself on it, just not a good impression at first blush. Really hurts the meta too. Can't wait to get a heavy splatling, they better have the charge hold!

Newline

I think to hear ingame sounds in your headphones while using voice chat you need a splitter (think this is what that thing is called), just like the one that comes with the official headset.
Oh holy crap thats a duct tape solution if i've ever seen one. Wont work for me either as i'll mainly be playing docked. I guess i'll leave my iPhone on loudspeaker and hope theres no issue with feedback.

I generally hate all types of motion controls, but I stuck with them for the event due to the overwhelming support for them on neogaf.

I completely regret my decision. Forcing you to use the right stick for limited x-axis movement felt unnatural. I'll try to force myself into using them with more practice come Friday, but I can see myself just using the pro controller dual stick setup and know that I'm a little handicapped against the top-tier players.

jorgejjvr

Its strange to see people talking about Splatoon Controls feeling off. Controls perfectly. Makes playing with a stick feel like I'm trying to use a controller with no hands.

Turn the sensitivity all the way up and it's almost 1:1 pointer aiming with split joycons. Hardest part for me was the map orientation and finding myself on it, just not a good impression at first blush. Really hurts the meta too. Can't wait to get a heavy splatling, they better have the charge hold!
I tried it all, motion on, motion off, split joy con, pro controller, every sensitivity, nothing feels right.

And I'm that person that goes on cod and goes 96-5 on domination.

Biske

Regarding motion vs stick, would people know if these people are using motion or stick?

It doesn't differentiate.

Edit: Oh I read it wrong, without seeing the hands its hard to tell. As the pro controller has the motion controls too.

In Splatoon I'm sure the difference is the same. I find Splatoon motion controls flawless, as if I'm controlling directly with my brain. I don't have to think of it at all.

I'm sure plenty of stick people feel the same.

A game like ARMS though... huge difference and if you are playing to win, surely only suckers play with motion controls, cause its a fun but imprecise janky mess.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It doesn't differentiate.

In Splatoon I'm sure the difference is the same. I find Splatoon motion controls flawless, as if I'm controlling directly with my brain. I don't have to think of it at all.

I'm sure plenty of stick people feel the same.

A game like ARMS though... huge difference and if you are playing to win, surely only suckers play with motion controls, cause its a fun but imprecise janky mess.

Uh sorry, I forgot to add the video I meant to add. I was just wondering if you can tell just by looking at footage and what the tells are.

I had to mess around with the sensitivity a bit before I got comfortable but eventually I found something that clicked. I do wish the motion controls were more fluid for turning horizontally though. I found keeping the motion controls at a lower setting (I think I settled on 1) and turning the right analog up (I think I did 3.5) gave me enough control to aim up/turn quickly without over shooting where I wanted to go.

jorgejjvr

I had to mess around with the sensitivity a bit before I got comfortable but eventually I found something that clicked. I do wish the motion controls were more fluid for turning horizontally though. I found keeping the motion controls at a lower setting (I think I settled on 1) and turning the right analog up (I think I did 3.5) gave me enough control to aim up/turn quickly without over shooting where I wanted to go.
I might have to try this

The top sensitivity is motion and the bottom the stick?

Biske

Uh sorry, I forgot to add the video I meant to add. I was just wondering if you can tell just by looking at footage and what the tells are.

I was wondering that when I watched the tournament too, how many people play motion or not. In the Wii U days I remember a lot of folks had the pro controller and not the game pad, so maybe stick is more common.

But I play motion in controls and all the way up to the S ranks, still having no problems. Nothing about the controls effects how well I do.

Also I'm playing purely handheld so motion is out of question for me.

Why? I dominate just as well in handheld with motion controls. You really don't need a lot of motion, small flicks and adjustments does the trick, theres no flailing.

13ruce

Banned
What do people think the ages are of the Squid Sisters and Off the Hook are (the splatoon idols)? i think they are all young adults atleast. Just like how bieber and ariana and other musicans or actors still have that teenager like look but are 20+ already.

About Pearl i dunno tho maybe she just always was short lol or she is sill just a kid.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I was wondering that when I watched the tournament too, how many people play motion or not. In the Wii U days I remember a lot of folks had the pro controller and not the game pad, so maybe stick is more common.

But I play motion in controls and all the way up to the S ranks, still having no problems. Nothing about the controls effects how well I do.

Why? I dominate just as well in handheld with motion controls. You really don't need a lot of motion, small flicks and adjustments does the trick, theres no flailing.

It feels super clunky to me, but I might try it more when the full game comes out and I have more chance to test stuff out.

Synth

err yeah, that was my point too. My comment was in response to someone saying that the entire point of Splatfests was the popularity contest. And I was saying, well, what's the point in having the battles if all you want is a popularity contest!

I was implying that the battles should be the most important aspect. I don't think popularity should play into it at all tbh.

Well I agree with them that the splatfest are popularity contests first and foremost. It's what drives the discussion leading up to it. What's I'm saying is that the battles are basically required in order to justify them being part of the game itself, rather than some Splatoon themed Twitter poll, that basically anyone with or without the game can participate in.

Even if popularity notably skews the outcome (which imo it should), the unpopular vote still can win and very nearly did here. The popular vote carries the inherent disadvantage of being more likely to also hold the lesser players in that group, and good Team Ice Cream players couldn't score points beating these players in games, and in some cases were basically taken out of the equation by mirror matches preventing them scoring against Team Cake.

Hell, you could argue that with the current implementation the battles are still the most important factor in the end, because even though they're split being team and solo, there are still two points up for grabs via battle, and only one for popularity. So you can't win a splatfest with popularity alone even if it were 99-to-1 in your favour, but that 1% of player can still win the splatfest for their choice.

The main reason I thought your post was silly, was because "why not just have only the vote?" if it's seen as more important, would logically also require you to answer "then why not only have the battles?" if they're the most important factor.. why have topics to vote on in the first place if at the end of the day it'd only amount to picking your player pool each time?

Eh?

I only use the stick to reorient myself. For actual aiming I just use the gyro and can do full 180's and greater with it if needed, and that's at -3.5 (stick's at +5 though since I don't use it for any aiming at all, so jacking it up to +5 lets me turn super fast).

Top Bottom