• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

Shikoba

Pearl kind of reminds me of Yolandi Visser from Die Antwoord. No really the way she looks but like the way she raps/acts

anyone else?

Exactly who I thought of. I don't mind Pearl really. Still... team Marina ftw. Shes going to be super popular. Interesting to see an Octoling too. Mark my words... one day Octolings will be playable just like the Inklings. One day...

Marina hasn't been revealed for 3 hours and I already want her #1 in Smash Bros

Too bad we're just getting Inkling Girl with a boy alt :/
Don't worry, they'll give us an Inkling playable character and Callie/Marie/Pearl/Marina Mii Fighter costumes, probably.

Exactly who I thought of. I don't mind Pearl really. Still... team Marina ftw. Shes going to be super popular. Interesting to see an Octoling too. Mark my words... one day Octolings will be playable just like the Inklings. One day...
I would be genuinely surprised if octolings don't become playable in Splatoon 2 in some way or another, whether it's at launch as a prize for beating the story or in a post-launch DLC event. All signs point to it planning on being the case in Splatoon 1 at some point, and now with Marina being half of the pair of faces of the game...

woopWOOP

It's kinda like the Twintelle situation, we all know that Spring Man's gonna be the one who gets in.
Crazy popular side characters have a good shot for that AT summon spot tho, just like Ashley.

Or maybe a Mii Fighter outfit :V

TheOGB

Banned
Also she's totally DJ Octavio's daughter.
tumblr_o8f1vuI03r1ueh03io1_400.gif

egruntz

shelaughz
Pearl has a design I don't think even Japan can like. What the fuck we're they thinking? These Splatfests will be so one-sided.

To poster above: mousy, sure. Whack job creepy? No.

Not

Banned
Don't worry, they'll give us an Inkling playable character and Callie/Marie/Pearl/Marina Mii Fighter costumes, probably.

I would be genuinely surprised if octolings don't become playable in Splatoon 2 in some way or another, whether it's at launch as a prize for beating the story or in a post-launch DLC event. All signs point to it planning on being the case in Splatoon 1 at some point, and now with Marina being half of the pair of faces of the game...

Can Octolings do the ink thing too?

Yukinari

I feel like the bike track is just a worse blackbelly skatepark.

No focal point in the middle and less curves to move up

That's...not going to happen.
It could. I think Splatoon has become popular enough that an Inkling character could feasibly be complemented by Callie/Marie, especially if the Splatoon 2 campaign gives them some unique moveset possibilities in some capacity.

Marina is probably tragically unlikely, though.

Can Octolings do the ink thing too?
Yep, the humanoid octolings are even explicitly supposed to be the octarian equivalent of inklings, complete with splattershots and turning into little octopuses to swim through ink.

SalvaPot

Marina is a excellent design for a loot of reasons, for me the most important one is that she is an Idol Octoling, who begs the question what is the main status between inklings and octolings, since you do fight them on the new story mode too.

Is Marina an exception? A war refugee? If there are good octolings, could there be bad inklings too? What is Marina's relationship with the other octolings? She is a public face after all.

The lore is going to get deeper.

Yeah, I'm not feeling Pearl at all. Marina all the way! But I mean, at least Callie was cool and cute in her own way, but Pearl does nothing for me.

Kid Icarus got 3 characters, Splatoon should get 6.

They can get away with 2

Inkling Boy / Girl alt with one moveset

"Splatoon Idol" character that can switch between Callie / Marie / Marina / Pearl / Villain? Callie / Kimono Marie with a different moveset! (more dance based)

Not

Banned
It could. I think Splatoon has become popular enough that an Inkling character could feasibly be complemented by Callie/Marie, especially if the Splatoon 2 campaign gives them some unique moveset possibilities in some capacity.

Marina is probably tragically unlikely, though.

Here's hoping for another voting system.

They can get away with 2

Inkling Boy / Girl alt with one moveset

"Splatoon Idol" character that can switch between Callie / Marie / Marina / Pearl / Villain? Callie / Kimono Marie with a different moveset! (more dance based)

Though that's an OK idea

Tom Nook

What makes Marina's design work so well is that her provocative outfit is contrasted by her shy demeanor.
Also she's totally DJ Octavio's daughter.

So it's a role switch between Callie and Marina. Callie joins the Ottos and Marina becomes an idol.

Top Bottom