• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 introduces Pearl and Marina, Icecream vs. Icrecream Splatfest

At least there was a little competition in popularity between the sisters.

Marina trounces Pearl.

I need her Amiibo yesterday.

Also y'all notice she's black? That's dope.

inb4 "the inklings aren't a race yadayda bullshit

Pandy

Kgvzw7o.png

Looking at this, I can see her being the surprise final boss...

...which means the surprise final boss will actually be Marina, and all you Marina/Callie fans are going to have a to ride an emotional rollercoaster to decide who to kill and who to save, while Pearl and Marie look on in horror.

13ruce

Banned
Looking at this, I can see her being the surprise final boss...

...which means the surprise final boss will actually be Marina, and all you Marina/Callie fans are going to have a to ride an emotional rollercoaster to decide who to kill and who to save, while Pearl and Marie look on in horror.

I would save Callie then the Squid Sisters are the originals and everyone knows no one can beat the originals:p Marina is pretty close tho.

Not

Banned
At least there was a little competition in popularity between the sisters.

Marina trounces Pearl.

I need her Amiibo yesterday.

Also y'all notice she's black? That's dope.

inb4 "the inklings aren't a race yadayda bullshit

Nah, she's black

Marina looks awesome and the fanart of her is coming out so quick!! Artists sure work fast nowadays. Oh and also I'm super excited for the games relea-

Marina.....mhm. Oh yes. I'd eat that calamari.

Annnnnnnndd exit stage left.

*Slides out of the thread like a boulder across a stone floor.*

javac

You people are all mean, bullying a child. She raps and is cool, ya'll just cooked, she's off the hook.

LotusHD

Banned
My dislike for Pearl's design really shines during their performance in the Direct. She just... doesn't look good.

convo

I hope Pearl being the unpopular one is actually canon and that people in the game don't like her either.

Marina being popular without even trying and Pearl needing to up her attitude to catch up would be a great dynamic. I can handle being an underdog and trying our hardest to combat the flood of Marina fans.

Man Marina is by far the better option but did they really have to make it look like she's uncomfortable/on the verge of tears 24/7? Because of that one thing I can't really 100% like either of them. At least Marina doesn't look like her counterpart, the inkling equivalent of Boss Baby, though, so there's that.

Also man am I glad none of y'all are deciding the roster for the next Smash. The face of the franchise should absolutely take priority over secondary characters, and characters especially shouldn't be chosen just for incredibly superficial reasons like "best design" or stuff like that.

TheOGB

Banned
I'm mad everybody simply corrected that calamari post instead of just saying it's gross lol

So it's a role switch between Callie and Marina. Callie joins the Ottos and Marina becomes an idol.
sudden_realization_christopher_lloyd.gif

I can't handle all these implications

13ruce

Banned
Man Marina is by far the better option but did they really have to make it look like she's uncomfortable/on the verge of tears 24/7? Because of that one thing I can't really 100% like either of them. At least Marina doesn't look like her counterpart, the inkling equivalent of Boss Baby, though, so there's that.

Also man am I glad none of y'all are deciding the roster for the next Smash. The face of the franchise should absolutely take priority over secondary characters, and characters especially shouldn't be chosen just for incredibly superficial reasons like "best design" or stuff like that.

I think it's the eyebrows she looks shy but she not really clothed that way so it kinda clashes.

LotusHD

Banned

Oh yes they should. Like no duh the primary characters come first, but of course coming up with a neat roster delves with superficial reasons as well.

ryechu

While the first game was looked nice, I love how Splatoon2's visuals look much closer to the style of the promotional art.

DEDv6kaXgAAKszQ.jpg

d379JRD.png

Both these images show that Marina poses with her thumbs tucked to indicate 8 digits vs Pearls 10. This makes sense given that the hand poses are supposed to represent hanging tentacles and that Marina is an octoling.

EDIT: Shes not tucking her right thumb in the first image but still only showing 8 total fingers overall.

convo

Well the new blood are here to prove themselves and since the player character in the single player seems to have forgotten about Marie, the ugly truth of idol stardom is that talent gets cycled out. Watch Marie and Callie make a come back and old fans rejoicing.

I re-watched the intro music video and spatfest segment again. I kinda get the mean faced vibe they are going with for Pearl

she is growing on me and I like this little detail of her crown keep bouncing so high up to land right back down maybe a Pearl Stan can make a gif I just got a screen cap

DEEWaOCVYAUi42A.jpg

Jims

Oh no, I'm visiting friends that weekend. They will have to watch me play Splatoon 2.

I wonder if friends can play together in the demo Splatfest? Probably not, but it would be cool.

Marina > Pearl. I think I might like Pearl more over time if they lean into how over-the-top obnoxious she seems. I kind of want them to make her as annoying as possible.

Pandy

What makes Marina's design work so well is that her provocative outfit is contrasted by her shy demeanor.
Also she's totally DJ Octavio's daughter.

And Pearl is the counter-point to this, conservative outfit with outgoing demeanor.

I'm slowly coming around to Pearl. Going to need to get some more dialogue/catchphrases before I back either of them.
I feel that this is important now that continual Splatoon lore has been established!

New art (kind of fanservicey, but still good):
"kind of"

Okay I need to say something that I'm sure everyone is thinking but no one has the courage to say:
Pearl is fucking ugly, yo.

Like, hell. And when she's side by side with Marina you can really see her ugliness shine(also her forehead shining).

Okay I need to say something that I'm sure everyone is thinking but no one has the courage to say:
Pearl is fucking ugly, yo.

Like, hell. And when she's side by side with Marina you can really see her ugliness shine(also her forehead shining).

Everyone knows that great character design is based on whether or not you would bang a fictional squid amirite?

kunonabi

Nice designs for the new hosts but it's going to come down to out how their personality and chemisty compare to Callie and Marie. I'm hoping Pearl channels the hell out of Lori Petty.

Top Bottom