• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyrick

I

HATE

GRILLERS

Why does this bullshit exist. We never fucking win.

Find a good place to kite them and reveal the tails to your teammates (not right next to basket) and remember to have a couple surrounding walls painted to make it easier.

correojon

With all the teammate complaints (I´ve written some myself lol) I feel the need to say something which was usually said in S1´s OT and that I haven´t seen in this one yet:
If you´ve just taken down 3 enemies and are wondering why your team isn´t taking over the whole map, think that maybe the guy you didn´t kill managed to kill your team as well. It helps dealing with frustration instead of always blaming your "shitty" teammates. You can also think that you weren´t good enough to carry your team and that the other guy was better, which puts part of the blame on yourself and works as a motivational point (at least for me it does). In other words: don´t get angry over what´s out of your control and focus on improving :)

So glad I bought this game. I have been having a blast with it. Love how easy it is to pick up and play for short bursts. My only complaint is when first booting up having to watch that segment between Pearl and Marina. Rest of game flows well. I do wish we could switch gear and weapons between matches instead of having to back out of a lobby, but it isn't a huge problem. I have only played the multiplayer so far too. Look forward to getting around to the single player. Also, I do not play with motion controls and hold my own so far.

Welcome! I´d suggest you give motion a real chance, maybe try beating singleplayer with motion controls and start using them in Turf War, if you give them time you´ll find they´re worth the effort. But anyway, just enjoy the game :)

ryanofcall

Welcome! I´d suggest you give motion a real chance, maybe try beating singleplayer with motion controls and start using them in Turf War, if you give them time you´ll find they´re worth the effort. But anyway, just enjoy the game :)

I agree! I play on the train a lot and even there motion controlls are rarely a problem. Bus can be tricky uf the street's curvy xD But it added an extra challenge to the Campagin

Doorman

Oh ok that was honestly confusing to me lol
The next thing I'm looking at is the battle stats on splatnet and there are 3 icons. One is kills, the last one is special and I have no idea what the middle one is for. Still on zones.
The stats you see in matches on the app are
Kills(assists), Deaths, # of special activations.
Obviously turf you painted is also displayed beneath your name too.

ryanofcall

Why is it so fucking hard to find competent professional teammates right now

What timezone are you in? If it's afternoon/early evening, it's because there's a looooot of kids playing (Splatoon 2 is P2P so you can avoid being matched with them by playing at night)

DrArchon

Just checked my single player stats on the app for shits and giggles and it says I've completed 97% of the campaign.

Except I've beaten the final boss. And gotten the Hero Splattershot Replica. What gives? Don't tell me that the missing 3% is scrolls and other assorted bullshit, because I've missed WAY more than 3% of that.

Regiruler

I

HATE

GRILLERS

Why does this bullshit exist. We never fucking win.

For the shit people gave splatlings, they're great griller eliminators. A full charge is enough to stun and kill.
Just checked my single player stats on the app for shits and giggles and it says I've completed 97% of the campaign.

Except I've beaten the final boss. And gotten the Hero Splattershot Replica. What gives? Don't tell me that the missing 3% is scrolls and other assorted bullshit, because I've missed WAY more than 3% of that.

It goes up to 1000%, so you're missing a lot.

And you replayed everything with the splattershot but didn't get all the scrolls and sardinium?

Man you guys take this game really seriously...i just do turf war every now and then and have a good time despite being terrible. Ive been tracking down those single player collectables though. Also whats with all the weird furry posts in inkopolis square recently?

Oh ok that was honestly confusing to me lol
The next thing I'm looking at is the battle stats on splatnet and there are 3 icons. One is kills, the last one is special and I have no idea what the middle one is for. Still on zones.
The icon in the middle is your death count (the one with the squid with crossed out eyes getting inked).

Branduil

Holy shit my teammates will not stop shitting themselves on Wave 3. There were a billion fucking eggs just sitting there after I used my splashdown and we still fail to fill the egg quota because they don't know how to use their brains. I'm never going win a game again.

DrArchon

It goes up to 1000%, so you're missing a lot.

And you replayed everything with the splattershot but didn't get all the scrolls and sardinium?

Ah, I see how it is.

And yeah, I didn't get everything. Some of those levels weren't great and I was just rushing through them to get the replica. I already did my time getting all of the scrolls in Splatoon 1. If I want the lore, I'll look them up online. And the Sardinium is pointless when I don't have any real desire to upgrade anymore of the weapons.

Man, I just got a pair of shoes with the roll ability and using superjump actually feels viable again! Previously it just felt like a quick way to return to spawn without the need to play in-between.

Jackano

Not sure about those so some questions:

- result screens, the first icon tells you how many inklings you hit, not killed?

- how does the final team % count works? I'm pretty sure it changed from Splatoon 1. No way it's the final picture at the end of the game (in free turf wars I mean).
It looks to me that's the total turf covered during all the game, not just the state of the map at the end of it.

Not sure about those so some questions:

- result screens, the first icon tells you how many inklings you hit, not killed?

- how does the final team % count works? I'm pretty sure it changed from Splatoon 1. No way it's the final picture at the end of the game (in free turf wars I mean).
It looks to me that's the total turf covered during all the game, not just the state of the map at the end of it.

-Results screen is kills, not hits (Not even sure what "hits" would mean)
-Pretty sure it's the current points if you painted what is painted with your color on the map on the final screen. It definitely isn't total turf during the game. That score would be way too low.

2 straight wave 1 wipes. I'm about to throw this fucking game out the window

Whenever I see your posts, it just makes me think of the image I saw in the plaza, "Better to be bad at video games, than mad at video games."

DrArchon

2 straight wave 1 wipes. I'm about to throw this fucking game out the window

Maybe this SR session just wasn't meant to be. Why not try again when it's a different stage and set of weapons? Or at least at a different time so you won't get paired with the same people over and over again?

Ranked is stressful as hell. Had a game where I ended up having to ride the tower solo from 65 down to 24 to get the lead in overtime. Legit felt discombobulated and had to walk away afterward

With all the teammate complaints (I´ve written some myself lol) I feel the need to say something which was usually said in S1´s OT and that I haven´t seen in this one yet:
If you´ve just taken down 3 enemies and are wondering why your team isn´t taking over the whole map, think that maybe the guy you didn´t kill managed to kill your team as well. It helps dealing with frustration instead of always blaming your "shitty" teammates.

Most of the complaints are about people not knowing what to do with the Rainmaker, people holding a golden egg the whole round or not knowing how to take down bosses. How is what you're saying applicable?

random25

I just had the worst team in Salmon Run ever. I was the only one who collected eggs. 4 out of 11. In wave 1. We lost in a time out. Why?

McArkus

So I want to start to improve the rolls on my clothes, what is the best configuration for it? as I see it there are 3 possibilities for max 3 abilities (ability 1, 2 and 3):

a)
Main 1: Sub 1 - Sub 1 - Sub 1
Main 2: Sub 2 - Sub 2 - Sub 2
Main 3: Sub 3 - Sub 3 - Sub 3

The cons are that is more expensive to achieve and 1 of the maxed abilities are removed during splatfest.

b)
Main 1: Sub 1 - Sub 1 - Sub 2
Main 2: Sub 2 - Sub 2 - Sub 3
Main 3: Sub 3 - Sub 3 - Sub 1

More balanced and still possible to get two max abilities during splatfest.

c)
Main 1: Sub 1 - Sub 2 - Sub 3
Main 2: Sub 1 - Sub 2 - Sub 3
Main 3: Sub 1 - Sub 2 - Sub 3

Best economy of chunks but no max potential during splatfest unless a lucky roll on shirt that will be scrubbed the moment the 3 nodes are filled.

So what you guys think is best to focus? Still have a long way to get enough chunks but at least would like to have a plan for the grind and re-rolls in the future.

whipihguh

Banned
I'm trying to learn motion controls, since it seems like eveyone recommends them. I've been doing pretty well without, but I'm trying to improve my skill etc.,etc.

It's been...rough. I've got some somewhat better aim when actually hitting targets, but general turf inking feels far more difficult. Been practicing in Salmon Run and I'm definitely doing worse than usual most of the time.

Have a feeling just to give it up and go back to analog. I really, really wish the y-axis wasn't locked with motion control, since that seems to be throwing me off a lot. That way I could lower the motion sensitivity and just use it for fine aiming when I needed it.

correojon

The ๖ۜBronx;245758742 said:
Most of the complaints are about people not knowing what to do with the Rainmaker, people holding a golden egg the whole round or not knowing how to take down bosses. How is what you're saying applicable?
And how does your comment help anyone at all?

wedca

Splatoon 2's real strength is that it is perfectly designed to give people many great ways to blame other people for their losses, haha.

Does anyone know what the numbers mean on the salmon run stat at the end of a game? Does the tube mean how many times you've died or how many teammates you saved?

Griss

Do the stores ever start selling clothes with more than two slots? I've got a 4-slot hat from Salmon Run but everything in the stores is just two.

Do the stores ever start selling clothes with more than two slots? I've got a 4-slot hat from Salmon Run but everything in the stores is just two.

I've seen a few three-slotted items in the store, but only recently since I've climbed in level.

Try the Nintendo app - there's always items with three slots up there.

Splatoon 2's real strength is that it is perfectly designed to give people many great ways to blame other people for their losses, haha.
Yeah it's true. People should keep in mind that it's important to be a team player even if your teammates are dumb.

There are going to be a few truly awful teammates. But for most, it's possible for you to react to and adjust to what they're doing. Is your teammate aggressively inking the spawn and not going to the center? Then you should go to the center. Did your teammate make a dumb super jump to you? Then you should cover for them. Etc.

A smart player will observe what their teammates are doing and play the role that's not being filled.

Does anyone know what the numbers mean on the salmon run stat at the end of a game? Does the tube mean how many times you've died or how many teammates you saved?

The one with the squid first is how many times you revived someone.
The one with the life ring first is how many times you've been revived.

Doorman

You'll start getting more 3-star gear in shops once you level up high enough. By I think 16 or so you'll be getting the spread of just about everything.

So I want to start to improve the rolls on my clothes, what is the best configuration for it? as I see it there are 3 possibilities for max 3 abilities (ability 1, 2 and 3):
If you have one particular outfit in mind you want to run, then choice c with the full spread is the way to go. Best chunk-economy which means any individual piece of gear is easier to replace in the long run. Even for splatfest, it's probably better to lose a negligible amount of everything rather than tank a whole ability stack, and with ability doubler on the splatfest shirt, you can still recoup some of that loss anyway.

a)
Main 1: Sub 1 - Sub 1 - Sub 1
Main 2: Sub 2 - Sub 2 - Sub 2
Main 3: Sub 3 - Sub 3 - Sub 3

The cons are that is more expensive to achieve and 1 of the maxed abilities are removed during splatfest.

b)
Main 1: Sub 1 - Sub 1 - Sub 2
Main 2: Sub 2 - Sub 2 - Sub 3
Main 3: Sub 3 - Sub 3 - Sub 1

More balanced and still possible to get two max abilities during splatfest.

c)
Main 1: Sub 1 - Sub 2 - Sub 3
Main 2: Sub 1 - Sub 2 - Sub 3
Main 3: Sub 1 - Sub 2 - Sub 3

Best economy of chunks but no max potential during splatfest unless a lucky roll on shirt that will be scrubbed the moment the 3 nodes are filled.

So what you guys think is best to focus? Still have a long way to get enough chunks but at least would like to have a plan for the grind and re-rolls in the future.
Go for a. Always go for a. c is appealing in the short term but the lack of flexibility is likely to just cause a lot more grinding in the long run.

EDIT: Here's an example: As you become more advanced, you will recognize that there are certain rotations where RSU is legit, but you don't have it on your regular build. If you did A you can just swap out one of the three pieces. If you did C you gotta start over, ya know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom