• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

I'm disappointed with some of the decisions Nintendo made with Splatoon, but I'm still very happy to see them make such a fresh, new IP and give it a chance to grow and become a staple franchise. I always thought Splatoon looked like a lot of fun, and I'm glad its gameplay, both single player and multiplayer, seems to live up to the lofty standards of EAD.

Exile20

Yea but it's still perfectly justifiable. This looks like the game was rushed to release, instead of waiting to have all the content in at the start. Just because it's getting free content in the coming months, doesn't mean it's worth the $60 right now.

Here is an ideal.

Buy it in Aug.

Zukkoyaki

I need to hurry up and purchase a Wii-U along with this game (and others!) Before my student loans kick in and I'm broke as a joke haha. Looks like a ton of fun :D

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Abut how long is the single player in hours? Did reviews mention that?

5-7 hours is what I've seen mention in various reviews.

As for content, sure I'd like more maps day one. But as above it will still be $60 in August and this gives me two+ months to enjoy it. Hell, I'll actually learn maps for once since there are fewer to learn at once.

Call me unrealistic and setting myself up for dissapointment, but im 99% confident Hideki Naganuma will work on some tracks.

He's really interested in doing so judging by his Twitter. Ika Musume creator got an official collab after expressing his interest in working with Splatoon so this might not be a long shot at all. The aesthetic just fits.

bart64

Banned
Couldn't the phased roll-out be intentional? Like, they want to build up the number of players so that each stage has someone available to play? Also, wouldn't it make sense to leave stuff out to get people to come back to it after the initial hype dies down?

I don't know, I always thought that leaving content out is just bad, but with online multiplayer it makes some sense.

Couldn't the phased roll-out be intentional? Like, they want to build up the number of players so that each stage has someone available to play? Also, wouldn't it make sense to leave stuff out to get people to come back to it after the initial hype dies down?

I don't know, I always thought that leaving content out is just bad, but with online multiplayer it makes some sense.

It's pretty much what they're doing. Same thing with the Ranked mode. Although, that might already be unlocked by the time the US gets the game on Friday.

Mesoian

It's certainly intentional.

But you have to understand why people are potentially upset over it when other games that share said distribution model over the past 2 or 3 years have been free.

I still chock that up to a general misunderstanding of how online communities in multiplayer games are on Nintendo's part. But Nintendo still has a great product here, so even though it's all a bit backwards, it's still worth getting into.

It's pretty much what they're doing. Same thing with the Ranked mode. Although, that might already be unlocked by the time the US gets the game on Friday.

Getting to level 10 does not take that long. I can't see it taking more than a week to globally unlock.

The online ecosystem is going to NEED it though because MAN, when you are continually paired with teams who think that killing people is how you win, you get SUPER frustrated.

Not sure but to my surprise, even people got bored of Mario Kart 8 and when the DLC packs hit, they were like "finally a reason to start playing again".

I never stopped, there was clearly enough content and games like that are endlessly replayable but there definitely is a silver lining to this.

Zakalwe

Banned
Oh Nintendo....

Why are you making your console more irresistible? I don't have time for my ps4 and PC as it is. ;_;

Not to mention I "need" an Xbox for a few specific exclusives. God damn it.

Mesoian

Not sure but to my surprise, even people got bored of Mario Kart 8 and when the DLC packs hit, they were like "finally a reason to start playing again".

I never stopped, there was clearly enough content and games like that are endlessly replayable but there definitely is a silver lining to this.

If anything, it assures me that when we do get to the point where we need to pay for the DLC, probably sometime in november, it will likely be robust and fairly priced.

Oh Nintendo....

Why are you making your console more irresistible? I don't have time for my ps4 and PC as it is. ;_;

Not to mention I "need" an Xbox for a few specific exclusives. God damn it.

It's the worst when you like playing a bit of everything. I feel you, man :'(

DirtyLarry

I will now pick it up with only the intent to play the SP, which honestly I did not even know the game included, and see if the MP will somehow make this 40 year old man come out of MP retirement.

ncn0n0s.png

saturnine

The online ecosystem is going to NEED it though because MAN, when you are continually paired with teams who think that killing people is how you win, you get SUPER frustrated.

You do. You really do. It's amazing how a single bad player can kill all chances of winning for the team.

Then you can wait.
It's the same thing with pre-orders, no one is forcing anyone to buy day 1 bugged games that need 4+ patches to run correctly after launch.

JAxYgiD.gif

Yes but, they're releasing the game NOW. If you think its okay for Nintendo to release a multiplayer focused game with lack of multiplayer content then feel free to buy it, but reviewers shouldn't review games on promise. They can only review what they're given, simple.

The same is said for all the other games that are released buggy, broken or just, like in Splatoon's case, lacking content. Shouldn't be shown leniency just because they're Nintendo.

Hermii

Then you can wait.
It's the same thing with pre-orders, no one is forcing anyone to buy day 1 bugged games that need 4+ patches to run correctly after launch.

JAxYgiD.gif

Not the same. Bugged games are advertised as finished products. With this they are being transparent about it and you can wait until August if you want all the content at once. What they give you at launch is really polished and you get a new map every 2nd week.

AmuroChan

Gold Member
Wow, if they waited to release this a few months from now when all the features are available, this could've gotten 10's across the board and be a GOTY front-runner.

USC-fan

Banned
Very weird release. Holding back so much content for DLC on a system with a very small storage space. Seems like a rush release but why rush in summer?

Most likely a great game but on the wrong system. I really hope at E3 they announce a better online system support. One made for 2015.

Hugstable

Banned
5-7 hours is the length for the single player campaign and it's supposed to be really good! Hell YEAH! I was mostly in this for the single player and cause it looked really awesome to me in trailers and I was saying a few weeks back that I was hoping it was atleast longer than 4 hours, so this is awesome news to me! HYPED!

Sendou

Wow, if they waited to release this a few months from now when all the features are available, this could've gotten 10's across the board and be a GOTY front-runner.

The Splatoon that's going for GOTY nominations is the Splatoon with all the updates from launch until the end of this year. So that's still all good.

Not the same. Bugged games are advertised as finished products. With this they are being transparent about it and you can wait until August if you want all the content at once. What they give you at launch is really polished and you get a new map every 2nd week.

That doesn't excuse the lack of multiplayer content at launch though. Plain and simple. Reviewers cannot review what isn't there. Luckily the game is fun as shit. My copy should be here tomorrow, I hope.

bobawesome

IGN whines about that it needs more content even though more content is already slated to be added in the coming months
Edit: I know they aren't reviewing what's not in the game yet, but they score they give it now is the score people are going to remember, not the score they might ive it after the new modes are added

I don't think you understand how reviews for major sites are supposed to work. IGN isn't going to wait for all the content to roll out before assigning a score.

NotLiquid

Well, if Splatoon ends up on anyone's GOTY shortlist I don't think it'll be on account of the score it received on release day (even if it was mostly 10s). Opinions can always change and the dynamic can always evolve when it comes to an online game. Some might not realize they've sunken more time into the game than they like to admit, or that the content update has fully enriched the experience. Maybe riding that wave is what makes the experience all the more worth it for them.

For the record I don't think that's going to really happen with games like Bloodborne, The Witcher 3, MGSV and Batman Arkham Knight being out this year, but I do see it topping some Wii U Best Of/Biggest Surprise of The Year lists.

shaowebb

So can we start quoting all the folks saying the game would bomb and laugh yet or do we need to wait for a few weeks for numbers that have dollar signs instead of numbers that reflect how good the game quality is?

phanphare

Banned

but it's already the front-runner for game of the generation

;p

but seriously

Pleasantly surprised. Figured the lack of content would be more of a sticking point. I wasn't going to buy it until I played the testfire. After that I understood why Nintendo have had so much confidence in it. Can definitely see this appealing to a wider range of people than the usual mp shooter crowd.

Einbroch

Banned
So can we start quoting all the folks saying the game would bomb and laugh yet or do we need to wait for a few weeks for numbers that have dollar signs instead of numbers that reflect how good the game quality is?

Well, since people are saying it will bomb financially, I think it'd be a good idea to wait until, you know, the sales come out.

Top Bottom