• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER ALERT: Halo 5 (Spoiler) Spoiler Thread of Spoilers Spoiler

Trup1aya

Here's the supposed fake leak:

"The guardians are old flood defense mechanisms. Chief is activating them so that Cortana in the domain can use them, cuz it turns out a fully corrupted Didact is leading the flood against the galaxy. ONI wants to use them to wipe out the rest of the elites while they're at their weakest, but Osman gets kilt by Chief and Halsey. Locke takes over ONI.

Not bad, if true.

The "osiris must stop the guardians" of the last level could be read as "stop the guardians from blowing the F out of the sangheili because Osman.

The "difficult choice" chief faces could be choosing between listening to Cortana or Osman, having to terminate the other, naturally."

Hmm... Yeah not bad, but the other seems to match more directly with what we already know as fact.

Also it seems like overkill when the UNSC could just park Infinity over Sanghelios and go to work

NoBL3Z

Hmm... Yeah not bad, but the other seems to match more directly with what we already know as fact.

Also it seems like overkill when the UNSC could just park Infinity over Sanghelios and go to work
I'd rather believe this than the other leak, because there's a huge "Oh Shit" moment considering Blue Team barely defeated The Didact in the comics, and he never died so coming back fully corrupted makes sense.

That's not nearly as detailed as the one I was given though, and it doesn't make as much sense in regards to what we've seen like the image of the Cryptum and the heavy emphasis on Cortana. Still betting mine is legit.

This leak is more detailed about the Guardians and what their purpose was, compared to the other leak which said almost nothing about the Guardians. And it didn't exactly describe what the actual threat is other than Cortana and Guardians awakening.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Hmm...well I got a response from my leaker, but they couldn't give me a good answer this time. Little red flag there.

Here's what I asked:
There's just one thing I'm wondering: in mission 14 Osiris supposedly gets a "new ally" - who/what is it?

Here's what they just said:
Idk what you're talking about the game and story was fucking amazing haha maybe my explaining is bad but you need to experience it for yourself.

...the "new ally" thing was the only detail they didn't have, but everything else fits so perfect. Now I'm confused again. I'll message them one last time to try and clarify.

Deadly

Here's the supposed fake leak:

"The guardians are old flood defense mechanisms. Chief is activating them so that Cortana in the domain can use them, cuz it turns out a fully corrupted Didact is leading the flood against the galaxy. ONI wants to use them to wipe out the rest of the elites while they're at their weakest, but Osman gets kilt by Chief and Halsey. Locke takes over ONI.

Not bad, if true.

The "osiris must stop the guardians" of the last level could be read as "stop the guardians from blowing the F out of the sangheili because Osman.

The "difficult choice" chief faces could be choosing between listening to Cortana or Osman, having to terminate the other, naturally."
Yeah that doesn't align at all with the facts that are out.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
But if my leak is fake, then that would mean my other source would be lying as well...and they contacted me. Don't see why they would do that. And they were very straightforward too. Unless this is just trolling on an unusually organized scale.

NoBL3Z

Yeah that doesn't align at all with the facts that are out.
The only thing it does do is explain the importance of the Guardians other than them being a defensive mechanism. Everything else is fake.

Hmm...well I got a response from my leaker, but they couldn't give me a good answer this time. Little red flag there.

Here's what I asked:
There's just one thing I'm wondering: in mission 14 Osiris supposedly gets a "new ally" - who/what is it?

Here's what they just said:
Idk what you're talking about the game and story was fucking amazing haha maybe my explaining is bad but you need to experience it for yourself.

...the "new ally" thing was the only detail they didn't have, but everything else fits so perfect. Now I'm confused again. I'll message them one last time to try and clarify.

lolwut. That is a weird response.

But if my leak is fake, then that would mean my other source would be lying as well...and they contacted me. Don't see why they would do that. And they were very straightforward too. Unless this is just trolling on an unusually organized scale.

try asking to the other source than

NoBL3Z

The fact nobody is leaking anything except for the mission list is very unusual, especially for Halo. Maybe it's possible some parts of both leaks are true and the rest is fabricated to throw those who want spoilers off until they play the game or see it officially live streamed.

Trup1aya

The fact nobody is leaking anything except for the mission list is very unusual, especially for Halo. Maybe it's possible some parts of both leaks are true and the rest is fabricated to throw those who want spoilers off until they play the game or see it officially live streamed.

It's possible that both leaks are true, but why would the second one completely gloss over Cortana's crazy scheme?

It's also possible that they are both fake?

I'm going to go with fake. I said it before but this doesn't sound real to me. And as I said before, I could be wrong. It's a shame Frankie doesn't want the game spoiled for him, otherwise he'd be here shooting down these fake spoilers.

NoBL3Z

It's possible that both leaks are true, but why would the second one completely gloss over Cortana's crazy scheme?

That's the confusing part. Greenleaf's source provided a lot of backstory on Cortana, but my leak provided more information on the Guardians. Something isn't adding up.

Arjac

This is what they told me...sorry but I'm just going to copy/paste so if you don't want everything spoiled don't click:

Well, the main story revolves around Chief trying to figure out why Cortana(!!) is drawing all these Guardians to her - which is destroying colonies as they leave. Locke is sent after Chief to bring him in not just because he left despite orders, but because Halsey thinks Chief wont' stop Cortana. Cortana ends up cured of Rampancy because she gained access to a Forerunner thing called the "domain" and asks any AI to join her cause. Tons do and they get cured of rampancy as well. So her master plan is to use Guardians as they were intended - giant planet police bots. Obey her laws, obey the peace, or else these massive things will murder. Chief tries to talk her down, but she doesn't listen and imprisons him in the same kind of thing the Didact was inside in Halo 4. She says she'll wake him up in 10,000 years. Locke tries freeing him, but the AIs join Cortana, she sends out all of her Guardians to planets, she's leaving on the like biggest Guardian and Locke frees Chief just as she's leaving. The AIs wipe out the electronics in all the stations and colonies they oversee. Roland (Infinity's AI) does not join Cortana. She finds Infinity, and they have to flee into slipspace repeatedly. Game ends as they are fleeing until they can think of a plan. Next cutscene is reunion between Halsey, Arbiter, and Chief. Short one, and that was about all there was to it. Final cutscene after credits is Cortana humming a tune, and a Halo ring in the distance. As she finishes humming, the lights on the Halo light up as if she's getting it all powered up again. So yeah, basically ends there almost on a cliffhanger - Cortana is a bad guy, planets everywhere are under siege by an impossible force to counter, and Cortana owns a Halo ring.
So we've come full circle now, Halo 6 is basically Marathon 4
or something

greenleafcm

Neo Member

If the one I got is fake, I'll give them credit at least for constructing a massively convincing story that works with all the confirmed facts we have so far from streams, mission descriptions, and the achievement list.

Again what gets me are the details about things like the Warden "boss fights", how they describe Cortana's voice and behavior, the Chief trying to reason with her by talking about personal choice, and Roland deciding not to join the "AI revolt". Those are all oddly specific things to say if it's all just being made up.

NoBL3Z

If the one I got is fake, I'll give them credit at least for constructing a massively convincing story that works with all the confirmed facts we have so far from streams, mission descriptions, and the achievement list.

Again what gets me are the details about things like the Warden "boss fights", how they describe Cortana's voice and behavior, the Chief trying to reason with her by talking about personal choice, and Roland deciding not to join the "AI revolt". Those are all oddly specific things to say if it's all just being made up.

I bet some of it is true, but some of it sounds absolutely ridiculous though. And I hope the Warden Eternal isn't the big boss, because that's absurd.

Bet that unlikely ally is that Unggoy they mentioned on Halo Waypoint.

Meeting the Unggoy will probably be on a non-combat mission. And idk if that's the "new ally" considering the Covenant have fought together with humanity before.

Has anyone noticed we still don't know the full extent of the Guardians purpose other than "police bots"? We've been kept in the dark about them since they were hinted at E3 2013. And what their powers are?

greenleafcm

Neo Member
I bet some of it is true, but some of it sounds absolutely ridiculous though. And I hope the Warden Eternal isn't the big boss, because that's absurd.

Has anyone noticed we still don't know the full extent of the Guardians purpose other than "police bots"? We've been kept in the dark about them since they were hinted at E3 2013. And what their powers are?
Oh I agree on the absurdity of a lot of it. But that still doesn't change the fact that everything they said still aligns exactly with what we do know for certain to be true so far.

Well the thing is if they are just destructo-droids/ships, that literally explains their purpose - they're weapons. We have seen in clips that they possibly emit some kind of huge EMP pulse, and that works with their function if they're supposed to be tools to subdue masses of people. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. And like any weapon the most important thing is actually who is wielding it.

NoBL3Z

Oh I agree on the absurdity of a lot of it. But that still doesn't change the fact that everything they said still aligns exactly with what we do know for certain to be true so far.

Well the thing is if they are just destructo-droids/ships, that literally explains their purpose - they're weapons. We have seen in clips that they possibly emit some kind of huge EMP pulse, and that works with their function if they're supposed to be tools to subdue masses of people. It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that. And like any weapon the most important thing is actually who is wielding it.

I agree, but why are there Guardians underneath Colony Worlds? That's what I want explained to some degree. And why were they there? If the game answers this in audio logs or the missions, I can accept almost everything else I heard. But for some reason, I don't think Cortana is truly "cured". If 343 insisted she isn't, yet somehow she has an important role in this game, couldn't she just be a decoy for something bigger at stake? I doubt 343 would make Cortana the greatest threat in the galaxy, because that's hilarious if it's true.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
My leaker came through this time. There is no way they're not legit.

Osiris' "new ally" at the end of the game is:
"The ally is a monitor of Genisis I think it's female. She helps you light bridges and even spawns you a tank."

NoBL3Z

"The ally is a monitor of Genisis I think it's female. She helps you light bridges and even spawns you a tank."

Hmmm, I wonder if it knows about the whereabouts of Gulity Spark?

And could you ask your leaker why are Guardians underneath Colony Worlds? I really want to know.

Not surprised a monitor is on Genesis. Genesis is a Forerunner Builder world according to the Halo 5 art book. That also explains why the Cryptum we see in the last mission description is blue and why the Guardians are blue as well as the Builder rate tends to have the color blue in most of their designs the way the Prometheans have orange.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Hmmm, I wonder if it knows about the whereabouts of Gulity Spark?

And could you ask your leaker why are Guardians underneath Colony Worlds? I really want to know.
I don't think it matters why the Guardians happen to be on colony worlds at this point (+ Sanghelios). In fact I bet Cortana has a lot more than just the 5/6 we know wrecked the colonies - some might come from uninhabited worlds. Based on the ending she sends a mass of these things to many civilized planets.

Trup1aya

Honestly, I was all aboard until the bolded part. That's BANANAS . You mind just copy/pasting the convo again?

He's alive. Last we know he was off going to search for the Librarian.

I'm thinking the Librarian is the 'new ally'.

Kinda sorta. They salvage what was left of it, it goes through an identity crisis (long story), and hijacks a prowler for parts unknown.

Ah, sweet! I loved little tinkerbell. Good to know the guy is back.

edit: oh, wait, you're right! I remember Guilty Spark being questioned in one of the Forerunner trilogy books. Duh!

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Honestly, I was all aboard until the bolded part. That's BANANAS . You mind just copy/pasting the convo again?
I don't see why that's so odd. It's a Monitor. That means it likely has access to some kind of teleportation grid. So when my source says "spawns" I assume they mean it just brings you one tank for probably one section of the level.

Just a bit confused. Why does a leaker giving details mean they are legit? Nothing so far really concretely points to this stuff being true.

It seems like any story that could be concocted to fit within the mission list that was leaked.

NoBL3Z

Just a bit confused. Why does a leaker giving details mean they are legit? Nothing so far really concretely points to this stuff being true.

It seems like any story that could be concocted to fit within the mission list that was leaked.

I agree with this. I'm still not convinced all of this is completely true.

I don't think it matters why the Guardians happen to be on colony worlds at this point (+ Sanghelios). In fact I bet Cortana has a lot more than just the 5/6 we know wrecked the colonies - some might come from uninhabited worlds. Based on the ending she sends a mass of these things to many civilized planets.

It does matter, because these are ancient Forerunner constructs that none of us knew about prior to Halo 5. Just because you may find that information less significant doesn't mean it is. The moment I saw the constructs, I wanted to know their origins and their purpose. And we don't even know what the Guardians do either. Simply sending them off to other planets and we don't even know how powerful they are. At least we knew the extent of the Didact's capabilities in Halo 4.

Not surprised a monitor is on Genesis. Genesis is a Forerunner Builder world according to the Halo 5 art book. That also explains why the Cryptum we see in the last mission description is blue and why the Guardians are blue as well as the Builder rate tends to have the color blue in most of their designs the way the Prometheans have orange.

Interesting. So this is how the Soldiers came about. I wonder if any significant Forerunners such as the Librarian or Lifeworker is there.

greenleafcm

Neo Member

Fair point. But I haven't come across one other synopsis that has as many solid connections to known info or as many specific details as the one I was given. If they really made it all up, they deserve an award or something.

Onikaan

I'm going to go with fake. I said it before but this doesn't sound real to me. And as I said before, I could be wrong. It's a shame Frankie doesn't want the game spoiled for him, otherwise he'd be here shooting down these fake spoilers.

Can you clarify what you mean here? Frankie doesn't want to be spoiled?

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Also why would someone else come out of the woodwork just to confirm it for me over a PM? Seems kind of odd for them to do that if the leak wasn't credible.

wuruochong

Neo Member
:p I was joking.

Hmm... I seem to recall Frankie shooting down other fake spoilers here, so this one still being up could mean something.

Also, I first saw this spoiler on this spoiler thread. Last night someone posted this spoiler on that thread (exact same wording, probably copy-paste from reddit), and the mods locked the thread down pretty much right after. Make of that what you will.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Hmm... I seem to recall Frankie shooting down other fake spoilers here, so this one still being up could mean something.

Also, I first saw this spoiler on this spoiler thread. Last night someone posted this spoiler on that thread (exact same wording, probably copy-paste from reddit), and the mods locked the thread down pretty much right after. Make of that what you will.
Lol. That was me. As soon as I found the leak, I posted it there and here. :p

wuruochong

Neo Member
Lol. That was me. As soon as I found the leak, I posted it there and here. :p

Really wish its fake though. Sure it matches all the details we know so far but this whole Cortana thing is just cliche and bad writing.

I knew 343 had to bring back Cortana, since Halo without Cortana is like MGS without Otacon. But I was hoping for them giving John a new Cortana model, and show this new Cortana trying to live up to the old one. Cortana herself even talked about this in Halo 4 and I think it makes for a much better story than what we allegedly have here.

greenleafcm

Neo Member
Really wish its fake though. Sure it matches all the details we know so far but this whole Cortana thing is just cliche and bad writing.

I knew 343 had to bring back Cortana, since Halo without Cortana is like MGS without Otacon. But I was hoping for them giving John a new Cortana model, and show this new Cortana trying to live up to the old one. Cortana herself even talked about this in Halo 4 and I think it makes for a much better story than what we allegedly have here.
I disagree. Halo is still Halo without Cortana. Halo is still Halo without the Chief. Halo is a vast universe with rich and varied characters and an expansive lore to boot. Limiting the stories to be told to one guy and one AI is what is chiched and bad writing. Bringing back Cortana (in any literal manner), especially after the closure she got in 'Halo 4', is simply not the right answer.

XAL

ODST was a very good game and it didn't have Chief or Cortana. Same with Reach.

Top Bottom