• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAMARMO

Banned
leaks said the tape "The man who sold the world" would reveal to "Medic/Ahab" that he was the Phantom of Big Boss. But it doesn't. The tape is just music.
Source from /mgg/

RK9039

Remember when Big Boss was the bad guy but then it turns out Liquid was also a bad guy but then the Patriots are the real bad guys but they're robots and also Ocelot who is now Liquid is a bad guy but The Boss is not a bad guy but everyone thinks she's a bad guy and Zero is actually the ultimate bad guy but now Zero is not really that bad of a guy nor is Big Boss but Venom is a bad guy but Skullface is also a bad guy but not as bad as some other bad guys?

Exactly.

This is worse than anime. It's like the ending of Naruto.

I don't know that I'd consider the idea of detailing the downfall of Big Boss over one or several sequels necessarily pointless in itself... but yeah: Kojima. Like you said, things tends to get overly weird and convoluted fast, with him.
Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater had the natural advantage of more or less starting from scratch, but the following games (hell, even the conclusion of Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater itself) didn't exactly do wonders for Naked Snake's story. Naturally, I won't pass judgment on this game's plot until I've played it and thought about it some, but based on what I've read so far, it seems I was right to seriously keep my expectations in check...

I think it had a point, but it was lost in the Kojima-ness of it all. Still, I think that just having MGS3 was necessary. You see Naked Snake get disillusioned with the government and politicians after what transpired with the Boss and he goes off to do his own thing. Your imagination fills in the interim between that and MG1.

Forkball

Its still funny that Paramedic, the quirky film buff, turns into a mad scientist who does sick things to Gray Fox.

The whole MGS 3 crew being the Patriots is completely bizarre. They are basically kind of a redux of Snake's support crew in MGS. But then it turns out they are like, THE ULTIMATE POWER IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. The fucking DARPA chief you save in MGS was one of the most powerful people on the planet at one point.

vano89

Neo Member
leaks said the tape "The man who sold the world" would reveal to "Medic/Ahab" that he was the Phantom of Big Boss. But it doesn't. The tape is just music.
Source from /mgg/
True, you have the tape of the song with you since the beginning, probably what they are referring is a transcript of Zero talking, with the song in the background, just like in the beginning of the game (when Phantom wakes up the first time)

The whole MGS 3 crew being the Patriots is completely bizarre. They are basically kind of a redux of Snake's support crew in MGS. But then it turns out they are like, THE ULTIMATE POWER IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. The fucking DARPA chief you save in MGS was one of the most powerful people on the planet at one point.

I forgot that Sigint and Paramedic were Patriots, too. Goddamnit

Source from /mgg/

Incorrect. There's a reason why the cassette tape is labeled 'From The Man Who Sold The World".

thabtoUK

who knows?
Punished “Venom” Snake/Ahab/The Phantom finds out the truth by listening to the tape labelled “From the Man Who Sold the World” that was shown in The Phantom Pain’s E3 2015 trailer.

As my original post says, the tape is labeled "From the Man Who Sold the World", it's clearly shown at the start of the E3 2015 "Elegia" trailer ;-)

AAMARMO

Banned
1440615022616.png

KOMANI

KOMANI
The problem with Kojima's Metal Gear lore is that MG universe keeps getting smaller instead of larger. Characters are reused for plot devices yet their motives, personalities are completely contradictory from game to game. The franchise needed a breath of fresh air.

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
I've said it before, but: guys. The leaks are real. I'm a reviewer and have played the game. They're real. So stop spoiling all of the neat touches for yourself. It's all pretty expertly realized.

Get out of this place and just enjoy the game for what it is: the GotY.

The problem with Kojima's Metal Gear lore is that MG universe keeps getting smaller instead of larger. Characters are reused for plot devices yet their motives, personalities are completely contradictory from game to game. The franchise needed a breath of fresh air.

This is why I liked MGR. Unless there was stuff I didn't hear in the codecs, Desperado didn't really have anything to do with the incestuous plot of MGS. Jetstream Sam wasn't experimented on by Paramedic. The final boss wasn't the Boss' hand-picked student. It was all new and fresh and the only character to have a direct relationship with the MGS was Raiden.

Dug

Banned
I've said it before, but: guys. The leaks are real. I'm a reviewer and have played the game. They're real.

Can you say if there is a 3rd ending or is the Mission 46 ending the last one?

vano89

Neo Member
I've said it before, but: guys. The leaks are real. I'm a reviewer and have played the game. They're real.

So can you confirm that the "secret ending" is Big Boss being Ishmael? I mean there's nothing more than this?

Spainkiller

I'm sorry, I'm not going to further contribute to the leaks. I already got in trouble with Konami a long time ago when I talked about the ending of Lords of Shadow 2 on this same forum.

Ridesh

Banned

What about the rumored mission 48 / 3rd ending?

It's real too?

Edit: Too late buu

vano89

Neo Member
I'm sorry, I'm not going to further contribute to the leaks. I already got in trouble with Konami a long time ago when I talked about the ending of Lords of Shadow 2 on this same forum.
No problem! I'm more than happy to "put the pieces together" myself :D

shocky2002

Neo Member

How do I know your review copy didn't have the true ending stripped out?

.. how do I know Konami doesn't have you in their backpocket? That Outer Heaven deviantart seems a little fishy to me

squadr0n

Are any streams up today or has everyone given up posting links? I would really like to see something other than the hospital and first 4 missions lol, especially Africa.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I am so lost. Are te leaks real of not? Is the /mgs/ collage legit?
Leaks are real, some are just taking it poorly.

Are any streams up today or has everyone given up posting links? I would really like to see something other than the hospital and first 4 missions lol, especially Africa.
One of the guys from yesterday is apparently starting at 5pm est.

Spainkiller

No problem! I'm more than happy to "put the pieces together" myself :D

Yeah, that's the whole thing: a lot of things may look more ridiculous than they are if you just see them summed up in a spoiler list with an out-of-context screenshot or two. But the reality is that the game handles its narrative very well. Sometimes a bit clumsily, sure, but beautifully most of the time.

The only reason I'm confirming the leaks is so that people'll stop fighting and discussing the leaks extensively, which, eventually, will only draw more attention to it and will spoil the experience for more players.

Love it or hate it, but: Kojima cares more about the quality of the game he's currently working on than to necessarily create a canonical timeline that appeases everyone. He doesn't want to please anyone, just his critical self. And this game is the culmination of all his ambition. It's a masterpiece, which is way more important than whether or not neatly fits into the timeline. (If he wanted to cater to fans, the entirety of Sons of Liberty wouldn't have existed.) It will, at least gameplay-wise, not disappoint.

Savor it. You'll never see something like this ever again.

.. how do I know Konami doesn't have you in their backpocket?

You don't. Here, let me throw some fire on the flames; I might be in cahoots with this auteur after all! Hashtag conspiracies.

https://instagram.com/p/kXqVpZLoPB/

Cubed

Remember when Big Boss was the bad guy but then it turns out Liquid was also a bad guy but then the Patriots are the real bad guys but they're robots and also Ocelot who is now Liquid is a bad guy but The Boss is not a bad guy but everyone thinks she's a bad guy and Zero is actually the ultimate bad guy but now Zero is not really that bad of a guy nor is Big Boss but Venom is a bad guy but Skullface is also a bad guy but not as bad as some other bad guys?

I'm tired of reading stuff like this. We still don't know how the twist is portrayed. We don't know yet if Venom Snake makes Outer Heaven as some "evil bastard" or if he makes it in revenge against Big Boss and Zero, both of whom may still be "evil bastards."

I think some people are anticipating the story making Venom Snake say "Welp, those dicks! I guess I'll be a bad guy now!" and I don't see that being the way it plays out. I see BIg Boss being revealed to be a backstabbing, manipualtive asshole and Venom Snake makes Outer Heaven as a way to say "I don't need Big Boss or Zero, I'm going to follow the Boss' will on my own!" and then asshole Big Boss say "Nope... you're not, you're expendable now." and send in Solid Snake to kill Venom Snake in MG1.

Ralemont

not me
Yeah, that's the whole thing: a lot of things may look more ridiculous than they are if you just see them summed up in a spoiler list with an out-of-context screenshot or two. But the reality is that the game handles its narrative very well. Sometimes a bit clumsily, sure, but beautifully most of the time.

The only reason I'm confirming the leaks is so that people'll stop fighting and discussing the leaks extensively, which, eventually, will only draw more attention to it and will spoil the experience for more players.

Love it or hate it, but: Kojima cares more about the quality of the game he's currently working on than to necessarily create a canonical timeline that appeases everyone. He doesn't want to please anyone, just his critical self. And this game is culmination of all his ambition and, at least gameplay-wise, will not disappoint.

excellent. can't wait.

vano89

Neo Member

Love it or hate it, but: Kojima cares more about the quality of the game he's currently working on than to necessarily create a canonical timeline that appeases everyone. He doesn't want to please anyone, just his critical self. And this game is the culmination of all his ambition. It's a masterpiece, which is way more important than whether or not neatly fits into the timeline. (If he wanted to cater to fans, the entirety of Sons of Liberty wouldn't have existed.) It will, at least gameplay-wise, not disappoint.

Wonderful, thanks a lot! Too bad you're spanish, I would really like to read your review of the game! The only words I know in spanish are swear words....

tsunam1

Neo Member
Am I the only one pissed that all the buddies in the game where shown and they did not even keep one as a surprise once you find it?

Spainkiller

Wonderful, thanks a lot! Too bad you're spanish, I would really like to read your review of the game! The only words I know in spanish are swear words....

Haha, the magazine I write for is Dutch, actually :) I currently live in Amsterdam.

A shortened version of the article can be found on our website...

http://www.pu.nl/artikelen/review/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-review/

... which probably is even more unintelligible to you, since, you know, it's in Dutch, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom