• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens - It's True. All of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Just saw it. Really loved it. Of course it's not as good as the originals but that's what I expected. It was very surprising how dark the movie was.

In the beginning the pacing wasn't all there, and I don't see the point of the new space weapon to the plot of the film, but overall I really enjoyed it.

A few questions, why is C3P0s arm red and did Kylo die?

Punished C3P0.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Just saw it. Really loved it. Of course it's not as good as the originals but that's what I expected. It was very surprising how dark the movie was.

In the beginning the pacing wasn't all there, and I don't see the point of the new space weapon to the plot of the film, but overall I really enjoyed it.

A few questions, why is C3P0s arm red and did Kylo die?

Some comic is supposed to tell you why his arm is red and no he is alive I assume.

Jobbs

Banned
in a film with a lot of great makeup and practical effects, I found the big CG face of snoke really distracting. So -- Most the characters and aliens can be real, but for some reason a big grey face with scars on it has to be a cartoon?

sflufan

Banned
What EU books should be read. Kind of want to dive in now

Fortunately, there are only a few "canonical" EU books now, everything that came before has been relegated to "mythology".

The main ones that exist are:

Aftermath (which by all accounts is terrible) - takes place immediately after Return of the Jedi

Lost Stars (a young adult novel which is probably the best of the new books) - takes place before, during, and after the Original Trilogy, including the Battle of Jakku.

Twilight Company (a tie-in novel to Battlefront and is actually pretty decent) - takes place between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

eznark

Banned
Sorry but people like you are why the newer movies suck. They just retread on old ground.

So you didn't like this movie?

I'd have preferred they shove all that stuff into this movie instead of stretching it out. Obviously he is still an important character in the universe, so it's not like they'll just never touch on him again.

You mean "Flat circle, time is."

If you want to talk like Yoda do it right!

I was doing prequel Yoda, where his language and syntax logic is all

CE68sre.gif

Seriously, this is why I'm most frustrated and excited. Literally don't know what to expect, other than a carbon copy of ESB :p

It's fustrating. Luke saved for 30 seconds in the end. I swore Mark Hamill was in England for a month or so last year. It doesn't take that long to shoot a scene.

Coruscant is safe. The Republic would periodically change Capitals based on elections. It was the Hosnian Systems time to be the Capital.

Hosnians, you voted ....poorly.

rexor0717

I haven't really been following this too closely, but I'd like it if Rey was Obi Wan's granddaughter if they end up making her lineage someone from the movies. I think it'd be a cool inversion of the Anikin/Obi Wan relationship with Rey/Kylo Ren. But really, I'd just prefer if her lineage mystery was a red herring.

Fortunately, there are only a few "canonical" EU books now, everything that came before has been relegated to "mythology".

Aftermath (which by all accounts is terrible) - takes place immediately after Return of the Jedi

Lost Stars (a young adult novel which is probably the best of the new books) - takes place before, during, and after the Original Trilogy, including the Battle of Jakku.

Twilight Company (a tie-in novel to Battlefront and is actually pretty decent) - takes place between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.

Thanks was looking for new cannon recomdations. I'll keep my,eye out

WillyFive

Certainly seems that way.

For those that only saw the movies (like me), it did seem like Coruscant (since that's the only city-wide planet with super tall buildings and many moons one has seen in the movies); but apparently it's a different planet called Hosnian Prime, the current capital of the Republic according to the books.

Honestly, I would have rather it had been Coruscant. It would have been a "Vulcan is destroyed" moment from JJ's Star trek.

prag16

Banned
Some people are going to hate that not being the case. They don't want the Skywalker line dying out. Hahaha. It's fake dudes.
I won't HATE it, but some of the build up in this movie would seem a little odd in retrospect if she turns out just to be a random. An extremely overpowered (considering she's basically untrained) random.

If she IS a random, I fully expect a full blown redemption arc for Ben. Would they really let the Skywalker line end with an evil asshole, end of story?

I've been thinking about it, and I don't think Rey necessarily needs to be Luke's daughter. You want a real gutpunch twist that will get that dark side temptation going? Find out your family didn't just leave you, or hide you away for protection, they straight up abandoned you. Why the hell would Luke hand her over to Unkar Plutt?

Luke wasn't part of her past, he isn't her father, he is her future and can become her father figure (as she had started to see Han as a father figure). She isn't the child or grandchild of the chosen one like Luke and Ren are. She is a genuine nobody who becomes somebody. The force in her wasn't some dormant power reawakening from some repressed memory, but the result of her hope and wonder. She never suddenly became a Jedi in the film, all her powers were raw and the result of feeling it out based on what she had observed and understood from myth.

Not that this precludes some later familial revelation or twist or what have you.

Aftermath (which by all accounts is terrible)

No, this is bullshit. Aftermath is typically considered "terrible" by bigoted pindicks. Star Wars fans seem kinda mixed on it, mostly due to Wendig's stylistic choices as a writer.

Also, "Lost Stars" by Claudia Gray seems to be the consensus pick as best new canon novel. Check that one out first.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think they missed an opportunity to have Rey actually want to leave Jakku to find out what happened to her parents. She even looked at an old lady doing the same thing as her, as if she knew she was wasting her time there. Instead, she tells Han she wants to go back to Jakku to wait for her family again as if she might miss their return. That was kind of silly.

Also it implies she remembers who her parents were, therefor not Luke.

Vyer

Agreed. Maybe the dude playing him is a great actor in other roles but I didn't think he pulled off the Ren role at all. Once the mask came off he was just about the least intimidating person on the planet. That scene with Rey was awesome, except when they cut to him and he just looked like he wet himself, even before she started fighting back. At least get someone who can look sort of mean and scary if you need to show him without a mask. That guy just looks petulant.

I think that was the point. There's a reason he literally threw temper tantrums. I think he's supposed to undergo some serious changes as this goes along. Now that Han 'helped' him solve the 'conflict' he was having and he got his bitch ass kicked, I wonder what finishing his training will mean.

WillyFive

I think they missed an opportunity to have Rey actually want to leave Jakku to find out what happened to her parents. She even looked at an old lady doing the same thing as her, as if she knew she was wasting her time there. Instead, she tells Han she wants to go back to Jakku to wait for her family again as if she might miss their return. That was kind of silly.

Also it implies she remembers who her parents were, therefor not Luke.

The force flashback showed her as a little girl and only showed a ship leaving; it's possible she doesn't know what her parents would even look like.

sflufan

Banned
Aftermath seems interesting. Is it "canon" or whatever?

Yes, Aftermath is canon.

Disney's position is that anything that comes out now -- books, comics, games, etc. -- is to be considered canon on the same level as the films. This is in contrast to Lucas's position that ONLY the films were canon and everything else was non-canonical and could be dispensed with/ignored if he so wished.

I won't HATE it, but some of the build up in this movie would seem a little odd in retrospect if she turns out just to be a random. An extremely overpowered (considering she's basically untrained) random.

If she IS a random, I fully expect a full blown redemption arc for Ben. Would they really let the Skywalker line end with an evil asshole, end of story?

Similarly like I posted earlier. That is the huge strength of Ep7. Got rid of some baggage (Han) and basically opens up a ton of original possibilities for Ep8. Anything could happen and yes letting Skywalker die out is one. I doubt Kylo will turn good, even if he does he'll be sentenced to death by the New Republic/Resistance.

inm8num2

Sometime last year there was some casting discussion about an actress named Maisie Richardson-Sellers. IIRC it was thought she had a larger role in the film, but she was just in a brief shot of the crowd when the Starkiller weapon fires. IMDb says her name is 'Korr Sella'. Searched and found this:
It appears The Emissary is on a secret mission of her own.
The role is small but could be pivotal.
She has 3-4 scenes at most.
It appears she is working for Leia.
She is at Rose’s Pub when the Empire’s new weapon levels the pub and the castle next to it.
She doesn’t survive the attack.
Her death brings Leia and See-Threepio to the planet where they have an awkward meeting with Han Solo.

Obviously some of that changed or was inaccurate speculation, but the gist was true - Sella was at a pub when the Starkiller weapon destroyed the planet. She seemed to be wearing some kind of Republic officer uniform.

Perhaps that character will be featured more heavily in a spinoff or other expanded material?

Aftermath seems interesting. Is it "canon" or whatever?

Yeah.

It's okay. There's a decent 250 page story in there about a group of misfits coming togther to poke a thumb in the Empire's eye. Unfortunately there's about another 100 pages of ill-considered "interludes" that jam up the story's progression every other chapter.

Seriously, start with Lost Stars.

Then jump to the Lando comic, because it's fucking awesome.

rokkerkory

I'd like to understand how the entire galaxy can really just sit back and let something like the First Order come to fruition after the GE was pretty much destroyed after ep6?

I understand the senate is compassionate towards the Resistance but like gave them no help? Handful of x-wings vs starkiller?

ngower

Rewatched tonight. So good. Caught a few things that I'm surprised I missed (the oceans/island comment and the ending...duh).

One thing I'll say, I don't normally go to theaters on opening weekend because I hate rude moviegoers. Last night I was pleasantly surprised at how respectful the audience was. Tonight, not so much. Wish I could force choke all the assholes that don't know it's not cool to talk during importance scenes.

Also, I really need some TFA Expanded Universe stuff in my veins like ASAP.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The force flashback showed her as a little girl and only showed a ship leaving; it's possible she doesn't know what her parents would even look like.

Doubtful that they would take that approach. It feels like she was left there by people who had no choice, it's like if Luke left his daughter to Jabba, no way. I am increasingly doubting that she is Luke's daughter.

Zukuu

Banned
First new Trilogy Star Wars movie that hasn't brought any new remarkable soundtrack. Was kinda underwhelmed with the score of the movie. Even the goat remix of the trailer was not used sufficiently and always ended very abrupt.

Also, why didn't they give the silver trooper the "not-lightsaber"? The character was kinda pointless.

Jobbs

Banned
Was I the only one that felt the squishy monsters on Han's ship, that whole sequence, felt like it belonged in Men In Black?

Low point of the movie. Tired of goofy cartoony looking monsters. Thankfully the rest of the various aliens and shit in the movie generally looked great.

Similarly like I posted earlier. That is the huge strength of Ep7. Got rid of some baggage (Han) and basically opens up a ton of original possibilities for Ep8. Anything could happen and yes letting Skywalker die out is one. I doubt Kylo will turn good, even if he does he'll be sentenced to death by the New Republic/Resistance.
I highly doubt Leia would sentence her son to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom