• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After two episodes, I can say that Kiznaiver is going to be absolute trash while Tonkatsku DJ Agetarou is set for greatness.

Kabaneri is already way better then the AoT anime tbh. Like the short bursts of awesome spider-man stuff in AoT is done better in Kabaneri and is more then just spider-manning

Defuser

I hadn't heard of either one of these before.

Qwaser is by the guy who wrote Guilty Crown. It's about a boy who use breast milk to form weapons.

Manyuu Hikenchou is about bigger breast = wealth and power, small breast = DIAF. Ninja girl stole scroll to learn to cultivate big breasts and fight the oppression.

Both are trashy shit.

Jintor

i've been delaying on starting the third arc of utena for like two months now

i'm trying to reconcile this feeling where watching it, the act of doing so itself, is largely enjoyable, but the thought of starting a new episode is almost in itself incredibly draining

Narag

Possible Gatchaman stuff in ConRevo tomorrow. Week after should be awesome though since duckroll pointed out that (NSFW) Masaki Tsuji tweeted a picture of his script and it's titled "Devila and Deviro"

Quick glance at wikipedia says:
Go Nagai worked on the anime's scenario along with renowned screenwriter and science-fiction novelist Masaki Tsuji, who wrote the scripts for 35 of the TV series' 39 episodes.

It's Devilman time!

ibyea

Banned
Bungo Stray Dogs: 3
That dark turn was pretty odd. I don't think they built up to it very well.
And I don't even understand what Dazai's plan was to let the agency send those people to the alley when he knew what was up.
I didn't like the villains very much either. But hey, at least I got a cool action sequence.

Dresden

welcome to legoland

q1WwSmA.jpg

duckroll

Informal Poll: How many people in this thread have heard of or watched an anime called Urda? If you have, what are your thoughts on it.

somehow it doesn't surprise me that narag has watched a series no one has ever heard of years ago

Nah, I remember Gundam 00 getting quite it's fair share of discussion back in the day. Like, it wasn't all that popular around when I became a regular here, but it was definitely mentioned here and there.

It had a good first season, a bad second season (save for its first and last episodes), and its movie is my second most hated anime thing after Madoka Rebellion.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize that you were talking about another show.

ibyea

Banned
Nah, I remember Gundam 00 getting quite it's fair share of discussion back in the day. Like, it wasn't all that popular around when I became a regular here, but it was definitely mentioned here and there.

It had a good first season, a bad second season (save for its first and last episodes), and its movie is my second most hated anime thing after Madoka Rebellion.

He is talking about Urda.

ibyea

Banned
Joker Game: 3
I personally liked it,
amnesia
silliness aside. Mostly I liked all the "tricks", sort to speak. It mostly worked as a "that was pretty neat" kind of way, but I don't think you will extract any more emotions out of this than that. Also this episode is sort of there and it does nothing in terms of contributing to the themes set up in the first two episodes or about the setting and characters. I think what this story needed was one more episode to set things up and build up the side characters that appeared for this episode, and get rid of the
amnesia and have the guy genuinely screw up.

Dresden

kuromukuro - 2

that thing where girls look like they're from different series than every other human being really bugs me here. I guess the character designer was like 'how should they look' and someone else was like 'make them moe' and he was like 'oh i have all this shit from asakura i didn't use.' Not really into any of the characters so far, not a lot of time to get to know them but what's there has been uninteresting. Yukina's mother has promise but I assume she'll be as absent from the spotlight as she was from her children's adolescence.

blurr

Mawaru Penguindrum [END]

I had some issues with certain plot elements,
like the fact that Ringo, the diary and Momoka/Penguin Himari barely played a role at the later part of the series, despite all of them being very important for the conclusion
, but that was an excellent series. Maybe more episodes, to flesh out everything more, or less episodes, to focus on the most central story lines, would be more suited to the show, but the result was acceptable. The strongest point of the show, the relationship between the Takakura family, was presented perfectly, and delivered one breathtaking finale.

I hoped the dynamics between Momoka and Sanetoshi would have been explored a lot more, I loved that scene on the library around the middle of the show. Also, the ending really was sad. I mean, everything worked out, and "punishment" was a central theme in the show, but the worst possible thing I could imagine happened. To be honest, it's not completely sad, but I hate this feeling of emptiness that follows this kind of " world resets". Also, no Ringo and Shouma, just when they finally revealed their feeling for each other. :'(
Outside of the plot, the show was pretty much perfect. I didn't like the artstyle much, but it actually fitted nicely to it and in the end I appreciated it. Moreover, strong imagery and several different visual themes are commonly used, mostly associated with fate, in one way or another. Oh, and great music, that Rock Over Japan song is amazing
and fitted perfectly at the ending

I'm kinda tempted to try to get into another work of Ikuhara, but I think I'll pass and move to something entirely different. I really don't believe I'll like Utena, despite probably being his best work afaik, and I couldn't get into Yuri Kuma Arashi at all when it aired.

I watched the last episode twice because it was too much and too abstract to take in one viewing for me. I think the real star of the show is the message and the way it was delivered throughout making use of symbolism and pseudo fantasy elements to its convenience as opposed to establishing and adhering to a set of standard rules, it's definitely not for everyone but it helped me focus on what's more important.

When
the apple sharing scene happened, that's the moment I understood what the show tried to convey - kanba and shouma shared the same fate since the day he gave half of his apple (which again is symbolic to some event that happened in their lives) - I just went whoa at this point

Sanetoshi's intentions were to rebuild society from ground up to make sure no one gets an unfair life in the new society however he chose the violent path, Momoka had a more altruistic plan to rid the problem of unfair life, this aspect of her had some exposition through the backstories of the 'teacher' and the 'actress' whose names slip my mind.

I'm not sure I'll like Utena either but I'm gonna give it a shot regardless.

Ascheroth

Man, the more I read the My Hero Academia manga, the more sad I am that the anime is only going to be 13 episodes.

The stuff that happens later on in this manga is nothing compared to what the anime can cover in 13 episodes. Especially at the rate it's going.

I really hope it does well enough to get a second season.

There is no way My Hero Academia doesn't get a second season. It's one of the next big things™ of Jump. The Soma anime sold terribly iirc (sadly) and is getting another 26 episodes in summer.

Kuromukuro - 03

Continues to be one of my favorite things this season. The action is nice, I like the characters and it looks good, too. I can never not like the 'person from the past awakening in modern society' trope.

Szadek

Another Ep. 5-6
"I cannot comprehend the logic behing it."
Finally, someone I can relate to.
So I guess she isn't a ghost after all. After this non-twist everything makes even less sense.
Many secenes now make no sense on retrospect.
Looks like they could have stopped all of this if everyone wasn't cryptic as hell for no reason.

Also, why did that one girl mention something about cold hands?
Don't tell me is that easy to figure out who the dead person is, because that sounds like a fool-proof way of saving everyone.

Moaradin

kuromukuro - 2

that thing where girls look like they're from different series than every other human being really bugs me here. I guess the character designer was like 'how should they look' and someone else was like 'make them moe' and he was like 'oh i have all this shit from asakura i didn't use.' Not really into any of the characters so far, not a lot of time to get to know them but what's there has been uninteresting. Yukina's mother has promise but I assume she'll be as absent from the spotlight as she was from her children's adolescence.

Same problem I had with Shirobako

Netoge 03
This show is freaking nuts. Everyone is freaking nuts.

That being said, I swear this story arc was longer in the manga.

Edit: Yeah, reading it again, Ako is super thirsty in the manga

Thoraxes

Macross Delta - 01 through 03

Yeah. This is Macross.

This is what I want.

Someone help me get Love! Halation the War out of my head holy shit.

I've been singing it to myself all day long. I even bought the single on iTunes. The rhythmic change-up between phrases during the chorus is fucking amazing, alternating between that syncopation. And the harmonies and colors I hear, just so colorful in the best way possible. It's fucking amazing.

duckroll

Attack on Train - Episode 2

Very nice action. Many funny cost-cutting stills used in the evacuation. Really stupid writing but it's on par with what we can expect from this material. Despite being shameless in copying tons of popular stuff, AoT x DMC x Walking Dead x Sengoku Basara is pretty entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom