• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is Gundam Unicorn? Just realised I can watch it free on YouTube.

The first three episodes have been good. I dont know if it is a favorite gundam yet as its still in the opening stages but the ost is one of sawanos best. its a good very serious start, and an mobile suit actually has wings and bits at the start which is really cool.

Still waiting for the day when they stop teasing laplaces box.

Re:Zero:1-3

Can animations studios stop making these game world centered anime jesus, pretty sure there's better material out there (Damn you SAO). It's getting repetitive just like his ground hog day trope. If the Main character is going to be this clueless and easily side tracked and being super bad at learning from his mistakes, then it's no wonder people will continue to die around him as he resets over and over again. Seen this device used far better with a better protagonist. I can see what's coming; classic abilities will work for and against him type of emotional manipulation.

Far to many seen it before female characters being throw at me. Would love for some more layered females.

Already got people calling it the new hotness.

Concrete Patrol Jojo day.

P0QFok0.gif

I don't watch a single of your listed shows

Fbh

Finished Erased.

Pretty good, loved the visual style of it, the characters and how it was constructed to allways make you want to watch the next episode. And while it wasn't the main focus, I also liked how this reflects a bit on your days a kid from the mind of an adult. Some scenes gave me real nostalgia from my childhood.
Still, I think the "mystery" part of this murder mystery could have been done better. It's just
too obvious who the killer is. They showed way too much of him in the present day segments, they should have kept him like a figure in the shadows. The teacher is the only one who resembles the killer, combine that with some super obvious sketchy faces he makes pretty much every time he is seen alone and too many main characters you know are innocent, and you get a mystery that doesn't hold up for long

Netoge 03

Ako is an idiot.

ConRevo 15

I'm not sure I actually like the big revelation at the end of the episode because it calls into question a lot of stuff that goes on or could go on in this world.

Cornbread78

Pull out before its too late.

I've heard that line before...

Finished Erased.

Pretty good, loved the visual style of it, the characters and how it was constructed to allways make you want to watch the next episode.

Oh no, now you've done it. Just wait until a few people read that.... I didn't mind it at all, but for some it destroyed any possible enjoyment of the show, lol.

Cornbread78

Watch Oshiete Galko-chan Cornbread.
I sure hope you watch Lucky Star after Haruhi.

I watched Galko-chan already; it was pretty good. I'm glad it was a short though because it would have gotten stale after awhile with that kind of presentation style.

Is Lucky☆Star any good? I completely screwed up Haruhi from what everyone said, so I mind just fire it up today, lol.

Fbh

Oh no, now you've done it. Just wait until a few people read that.... I didn't mind it at all, but for some it destroyed any possible enjoyment of the show, lol.

Hahah, well I'm personally not the biggest fan of cliffhangers either. I, for example, hate when a season of a show ends on a cliffhanger.

But when it comes to anime I kinda like to binge watch shows once they are already finished. So knowing I can already watch the next episode and don't have to wait a week for it reduces my annoyance of cliffhangers and even makes them sort of enjoyable

blurr

I watched Galko-chan already; it was pretty good. I'm glad it was a short though because it would have gotten stale after awhile with that kind of presentation style.

Is Lucky☆Star any good? I completely screwed up Haruhi from what everyone said, so I mind just fire it up today, lol.

Don't worry, you can watch in chronological order (column E). (I watched it too, I'm fine, still breathing)

Lucky Star is one of my favorite light comedies of all time, highly recommend it, has lots of references to Haruhi so I suggest you finish Haruhi before watching it.

kewlmyc

I did not expect to like Kabaneri as much as I did. Premium Attack on Titan was right. The main leads are already much better.

It's "Attack on Titan: Now With Way More Japanese Stuff" at least. Having an original script means that hopefully the pacing won't be god awful.

Just T

Bungou Stray Dogs: 3

Much better than the second episode, the comedy wasn't so overbearing this time and the tone shift in the second half had some neat moments, looked really good. However, don't like Naomi, she annoying as fuck and the snow scene dialogue was bad.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: 2

That was so entertaining, first of all the show remains a visual treat and that Mumei action was good, she's an interesting character by herself and I also think Ikoma is a pretty good lead too so far. Besides them and Ikoma's friend, don't think much of the other characters yet but it's been a fun show so far and hopefully it stays that way and doesn't fall off.

What do you mean? This is definitely something that should be discussed more!
It seems that the idea they are going for here is that every human in this world can potentially be a superhuman with fantastic powers if they just try hard enough. Like the reason rainbow knight had powers was because he believed he had powers, rather than him having powers naturally, and being behind that helmet helped him achieve that.

It makes me think confusing thoughts like "What's the difference between the people who seemed to just get super powers and those that don't?" Does that mean demons, youkai and all sorts of other mystical things are just people who believe they are those things rather than those things actually existing? i.e. Emi isn't actually a youkai she just really believes she is so she has those superpowers of one now.

Or is this just a different version of that tired trope of: "Everybody can be a hero."

Szadek

Another - Ep. 10
Are you kidding me? Are you fucking kidding me?
This whole time she could have figured out who the ghost is, but didn't for basically no reason?
This got to be the biggest Deus ex machina bullshit I have seen a quite some time and as it turns out, if was completely unnecessary,too.

Another - Ep 11-12
I take everything back, this is a comedic masterpiece.
Haven't laughed some much in a while.

Ok, now seriously, the show sucks hard and the entire middle part is boring and almost nothing important is happening.
I recommand watching the first 2 and the last 2 episodes for the hillarious death scenes.

duckroll

ConRevo spoilers:

It seems that the idea they are going for here is that every human in this world can potentially be a superhuman with fantastic powers if they just try hard enough.

It makes me think confusing thoughts like "What's the difference between the people who seemed to just get super powers and those that don't?"

Nooooooooooo. I think you completely misunderstood the context of the reveal!

Rainbow Knight had no fantastic powers. He was a normal human, with a suit and tech. Basically Batman. But as a hero in a world with actual heroes and monsters, to be taken seriously he let the rumor spread that the secret to his powers was inside the helmet. It was a lie that allowed people to believe in him.

The message at the end is that he did such a great job as a superhero that he was chosen as the sacrifice needed by the conspiracy to engineer the superhuman act. He was obviously seen as the best of them at the time, and the surprise was that in the end it turned out that he wasn't even one of them. They hid that secret because if word got out, then it would mean that the danger they were trying to propagandize at that time was flawed - even a normal human can be just as "dangerous" as a superhuman.

What this means for the world is that the truth is that while there is a difference between humans, aliens, mutants, monsters, ghosts, and robots as far as ability and power sets goes, or biological origins, the one thing that cannot be defined is what make a superhero. It is not something defined by power but by will and actions. If you set out to do what normal people do not and achieve greatness, you too are a superhuman, you too can be a hero, you become... an Übermensch.

The Fumers chose superhumans to be the subjects of their controlled evolutionary plan because they thought that represented the best potential for humanity. But now I think they understand that the potential for humanity to evolve into something great lies in humanity itself - not in superpowers.

Ascheroth

Macross Delta - 01 through 03

Yeah. This is Macross.

This is what I want.

Someone help me get Love! Halation the War out of my head holy shit.

I've been singing it to myself all day long. I even bought the single on iTunes. The rhythmic change-up between phrases during the chorus is fucking amazing, alternating between that syncopation. And the harmonies and colors I hear, just so colorful in the best way possible. It's fucking amazing.

Every song is catchier then the last.
It's great.

Can animations studios stop making these game world centered anime jesus, pretty sure there's better material out there (Damn you SAO). It's getting repetitive just like his ground hog day trope. If the Main character is going to be this clueless and easily side tracked and being super bad at learning from his mistakes, then it's no wonder people will continue to die around him as he resets over and over again. Seen this device used far better with a better protagonist. I can see what's coming; classic abilities will work for and against him type of emotional manipulation.

Far to many seen it before female characters being throw at me. Would love for some more layered females.

Already got people calling it the new hotness.

But the Re:Zero world is barely 'gamey', it's more a proper fantasy world. There are no skills, no quests, no adventure guild, no stat windows, no game interface, no gamey terms. Curious how you connected it with SAO.
And I thought episode 3 showed that Subaru wasn't a complete idiot once he finally 'got' what happened (which admittedly took him a bit too long to figure out, but I can explain that away as being generally confused and/or in denial or something).
And so far the characters and dialogue are a notch above the typical show of its kind.
It really depends how Subaru is going to act now that he 'cleared' this loop.

Another - Ep. 10
Are you kidding me? Are you fucking kidding me?
This whole time she could have figured out who the ghost is, but didn't for basically no reason?
This got to be the biggest Deus ex machina bullshit I have seen a quite some time and as it turns out, if was completely unnecessary,too.

Another - Ep 11-12
I take everything back, this is a comedic masterpiece.
Haven't laughed some much in a while.

Ok, now seriously, the show sucks hard and the entire middle part is boring and almost nothing important is happening.
I recommand watching the first 2 and the last 2 episodes for the hillarious death scenes.

I disagree. Another is a comedic masterpiece that has to be experienced in its entirety. And I don't even mean this ironically. I had a great time.
The blend of mystery, eerie atmosphere, 'slice of life' and ridiculous deaths (where many are also in the middle) is great.

Cornbread78

Nagi no Asukara ep.21-22
Z7hG2WV.jpg

Why does this show play with your emotions like this. I just mentioned it last, but the total whiplash of emotions this show goes through is really something else. I really hate this Seas God and his intentions are like a spoiled child... He messing with my girl in the wrong way now and just after we finally got her back. Honestly all this angst would really drive me away from the show (well it already did for 6 months, lol) but I need to finish the last 4 episodes so I can get it out of my system.. I'm ready for the worst now...

Narag

ConRevo spoilers:

Rainbow Knight had no fantastic powers. He was a normal human, with a suit and tech. Basically Batman. But as a hero in a world with actual heroes and monsters, to be taken seriously he let the rumor spread that the secret to his powers was inside the helmet. It was a lie that allowed people to believe in him.

The message at the end is that he did such a great job as a superhero that he was chosen as the sacrifice needed by the conspiracy to engineer the superhuman act. He was obviously seen as the best of them at the time, and the surprise was that in the end it turned out that he wasn't even one of them. They hid that secret because if word got out, then it would mean that the danger they were trying to propagandize at that time was flawed - even a normal human can be just as "dangerous" as a superhuman.

What this means for the world is that the truth is that while there is a difference between humans, aliens, mutants, monsters, ghosts, and robots as far as ability and power sets goes, or biological origins, the one thing that cannot be defined is what make a superhero. It is not something defined by power but by will and actions. If you set out to do what normal people do not and achieve greatness, you too are a superhuman, you too can be a hero, you become... an Übermensch.

The Fumers chose superhumans to be the subjects of their controlled evolutionary plan because they thought that represented the best potential for humanity. But now I think they understand that the potential for humanity to evolve into something great lies in humanity itself - not in superpowers.

You replied how I would have almost word for word!

ConRevo spoilers:

Guess I never caught on he was a Batman sort of character.

But boiled down it is the "Everyone can be a hero." trope. Augh that's sorta sad and sort of disappointing for me because I honestly didn't think it was going in that direction.

This sours me a bit on the show but I'll still watch in hopes Jiro dies and to see more Earth-chan.

ConRevo spoilers:

Yeah, I thought this part was pretty obvious

duckroll

But boiled down it is the "Everyone can be a hero." trope. Augh that's sorta sad and sort of disappointing for me because I honestly didn't think it was going in that direction.

I don't understand what you mean. It's not a trope. It's about a common understanding that exists in reality.
What is a hero? A hero is someone who is selfless and brave, and does what a normal man might not when a need arises. This isn't a narrative trope, it's what it is. No one would disagree with this. But this is something we understand because on average we are all "normal" people. The message here is not "if you try hard enough anyone can be a hero" but rather "in a world filled with superpowered beings, people have lost sight of what it really means to be a hero". It's not a direction the narrative is going in, it is a sharp critique of how perspective changes so easily in such a world.

Narag

I think it's important to consider the ramifications of this though as I think it'll more have to do with how Jiro sees the world as opposed to everyone powering up or some nonsense. It's obvious how influential he was given Jiro's hero worship, how stunning his becoming a "criminal" was, and how even other superhumans like Aki grew up idolizing him. Not saying it will go this way but I'm leaning towards it being something that forced Jiro to rethink his own beliefs. He's been pretty bad about labeling in the earlier Shinka 41-43 during his attempt to become an ally of justice and a protector of superhumans. If humanity itself possesses the seed to become more than what they are, Jiro may be forced to reconcile his role as someone that isn't just protecting superhumans as he once saw them but someone that's protecting humanity itself at a time when its previous protector is off doing who knows what in Andromeda.

Thinking out loud here, what is the best ecchi show that actually has a decent story and/or is a good/fun watch? (Not named *monogatari)
Sora no Otoshimono
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Maken-ki!
Seikon no Qwaser

I'm taking into consideration you said story. There's better ecchi out there but story is meaningless in them.

dan2026

I don't understand what you mean. It's not a trope. It's about a common understanding that exists in reality.
What is a hero? A hero is someone who is selfless and brave, and does what a normal man might not when a need arises. This isn't a narrative trope, it's what it is. No one would disagree with this. But this is something we understand because on average we are all "normal" people. The message here is not "if you try hard enough anyone can be a hero" but rather "in a world filled with superpowered beings, people have lost sight of what it really means to be a hero". It's not a direction the narrative is going in, it is a sharp critique of how perspective changes so easily in such a world.

As BnHA goes on it leans more heavily in the 'what does it mean to be a hero' theme.
At the start I didn't think 'Japan does western superheroes' would be any good. I was pleasantly surprised.

Cornbread78

Nagi no Asukara ep.23:

nFVOD58.png

is:
t8mrg3N.gif

This whole episode is a direct theme match with the final episode of Clannad After Story. It is such a match it was scary that I had to stop. Even though the conversations were different between all the characters, the theme was the same when it comes to having the opportunity to love, even though it may be painful. Damn..

duckroll

As BnHA goes on it leans more heavily in the 'what does it mean to be a hero' theme.
At the start I didn't think 'Japan does western superheroes' would be any good. I was pleasantly surprised.

??????????

Excuse me we're talking about the superior original BONES superhero cartoon here, not the knockoff Shounen Jump one!

*smug face*

Concrete Revolutio 16

Animation took a hit to be sure, and despite being a bit slow, this episode was still fun.
One has to wonder where Kikko falls on the ladder of this universe. She was
possessed
seemingly pretty easy this episode.

Lol. Well now I feel silly.
Hero Academia is better.

Nah.

Nah man.

Concrete Revolution 16
tumblr_o61fwg2Gpf1qbxqfpo2_400.jpg
tumblr_o61fwg2Gpf1qbxqfpo1_400.jpg
tumblr_o61fwg2Gpf1qbxqfpo3_400.jpg
tumblr_o61fwg2Gpf1qbxqfpo4_540.jpg

Fuurouta got such good faces. Also it seemed as if Superhuman Bureau really didnt help things along beyond the stuff with vessalized Emi. I wonder if they can manage to do something helpful for once as we go on. Jiro continues to be the only to understand from the antagonists point of view.

I liked the Three Birdman folks, red one was the best.

Qurupeke

Concrete Revolutio 16
blQRWTG.png
5VuCPd1.png
uHww0H5.png

EMI THE GODDESS
Not much happened, but it was still pretty fun. Though I find it weird how "casually" everyone reacts to Jiro. They're not exactly friendly to him, it just seems everyone acts awkwardly when he appears. Emi tries to be cool, Kikko becomes sad, Jaguar tries to act angrily... Their behavior seems kinda erratic, I'm not really sure how to describe it. Like all of them have a "Jiro appears" mode now.

Moaradin

I like this. I like it a lot.

I'm a total sucker for these time travel stories. I like the main character. Outside of his revival ability, he's just a regular ass dude. No magic or fighting ability whatsoever. Just has to rely on his past experiences to get by. I really liked the scene where he got killed right out of the gate by those street thugs lol.

The animation was really good as well.

Ascheroth

Kabaneri #2

Ikoma is a pretty cool MC, far better then Eren. Takumi also redeemed himself there at the end. Pretty nice action and the close-up shading is damn beautiful. I just hope it doesn't fall apart towards the end, because this is very entertaining so far.
And the ED is amazing.

Sansha Sanyou 1-2

Want to start a petition to get rid of the "her cooking is toxic to everyone but her!" gag, which caused me to entirely zone out of the second episode, leaving me with no memory of half of it. Up until that point the show was a passable Yuyushiki surrogate with pretty great animation. Dogakobo put pencil to paper like heroes in that first episode. Smears, squash and stretch, camera rotation, nicely weighted movement. If they ever get material to match their talent it will be magnificent and I'll be able to stop writing elegiac poetry about Love Lab.

duckroll

Concrete Revolutio - Episode 16

Fun episode, and reminds me of the stuff from the middle of season 1. Looks like we'll be getting a few more stories like this in the next episodes too, which is good. I like that they're exploring more into the mythological aspects of the setting too. It's a nice reminder that the fantastical aspects of the world here expands beyond just scifi. The first two episodes have been pretty heavy on the aliens and robots aspect, so seeing the magic side again is good. It looks to continue in the next episode too. Fleshing out these aspects will benefit the show when they get to the point where Emi and Kiko's true natures finally surface into the main narrative I think.

Wanderer5

Space Patrol Luluco S2 #1

Lol season 2, and pffft ha ha ha ha ha, what a twist that was indeed. Damn
her mom is a badass space pirate.XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom