• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Presents: A short look at fonts for advertising

UrbanRats

- United Front: Working on Sleeping Dogs 2: This Time Multiplayer Announced
- Eidos Montreal: Working on Deus Ex 4: This Time Multiplayer Announced

When you say "This time multiplayer" you mean a multiplayer component, or the title being straight up multiplayer? 'Cause it hink it makes quite a bit of difference.
Even Tomb Raider ha d amultiplayer component nobody gave a shit about (and i bet most don't even remember) so it wouldn't be too bad of a compromise.
WatchDogs and GTAV are other examples of singleplayer games with added on multiplayer components, that can be ignored.

A Multiplayer-only game, on the other hand...

I don't remember what leaked about Triad Wars, but all i remember was them looking for some netcode staff, which could go either way.

Philippo

Can I see some sources/absolute proof that it won't be there in any way, shape, or form? Again, not trying to be rude, but until I see 100% proof from a very reliable source that FFXV will not show up at E3, I'll just chalk it up as paranoia/pessimism.

And you're asking this to insiders? These people can't show/leak/say anything at 100% because it would be compromising. Them saying it's not coming is kind enough so you don't ragequit during E3, and it's the most reliable thing you can get, probably even more than what SE says.
Hey i'm the first one who would like to be proven wrong, but i can't see them lying lol.

theofficefan99

You're asking for proof where I can't physically give it to you. Also, you have people on here going to E3 who have insider information telling you that it's not there. You're asking for proof when it's already given but just because you refuse to believe it you're asking for other type of proof. How legitimately dumb is this direction that we're going into?

How is speculation from two people proof in any way? Kagari, as I've said, has been wrong before, proving that her connections aren't very strong, and Shinobi has never been known to have strong insider connections with SE Japan peeps or anything. So I'm basically saying we're all in the same boat in that sense.

We have 9 days left so there's not much left until we find out who's right. But eh. I'd rather not argue with you guys. All I'll say is that I'm cynical and I don't take their speculation as the word of god.

You're asking for proof where I can't physically give it to you. Also, you have people on here going to E3 who have insider information telling you that it's not there. You're asking for proof when it's already given but just because you refuse to believe it you're asking for other type of proof. How legitimately dumb is this direction that we're going into?

Office fan has made his case far better than any of the insiders have. There is no proof.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Office fan has made his case far better than any of the insiders have. There is no proof.

Guessing at shit and then being vindicated is different from actually knowing shit.

How is speculation from two people proof in any way? Kagari, as I've said, has been wrong before, proving that her connections aren't very strong, and Shinobi has never been known to have strong insider connections with SE Japan peeps or anything. So I'm basically saying we're all in the same boat in that sense.

Ah. So this is what it's about? Whatever helps you sleep better then.

Foffy

Banned
See, this is what I mean. SE typically announces what won't show up, such as Hitman and Versus XIII. They haven't said anything of the sort for XV, and with the Thailand conference ("not just in June"), development "going smoothly," and it being a "very high priority within the company" and whatnot, it looks like it should show up.

I mean, why wouldn't it? It's their biggest current-gen game, it's a mainline FF title, and it was at last year's E3. Would make literally zero sense for it to not show up with new footage/a new trailer.

Looking at the way this company operates today, you are really better off by having your expectations literally underground, because even anything on the surface is prone to disappointment.

I don't know if it will or will not appear, but seeing how slow this company has been with major projects of the last few years, you can save yourself a lot of sorrow by garnering apathy until major information surfaces, or the game comes out. People thought Square wouldn't be so dumb to ignore Type-0 getting an international release on PSP, and they actually allowed that to happen.

Square is one of those few companies where if you expect nothing or the worst, you'll be okay. It's a sad state of affairs.

theofficefan99

Guessing at shit and then being vindicated is different from actually knowing shit.

Ah. So this is what it's about? Whatever helps you sleep better then.

Is there a need to be this rude?

I'll bow myself out of having this "discussion" with you before it turns ugly, but all I'll say is, Kagari has been wrong numerous times before therefore I personally never take her word as anything more than speculation, and Shinobi hasn't been known for being "in-the-know" with SE's Japan department therefore I don't take his word as the word of god, either.

Personally, judging from what SE has said/hasn't said (what they've said on FFXV's development, their Thailand conference, what they've said on FFXV being a very high priority, them not outright saying XV won't show up, etc. etc.), I'd say it's much more likely that XV will show up with new footage/a new trailer than it not showing up or re-using footage/having little-to-no info.

Epcott

They've got a bunch of Western teams that they either own or work with. You know what they are working on:
- Avalanche: Just Cause 3 after they finish Mad Max for Warner Announced
- United Front: Working on Sleeping Dogs 2: This Time Multiplayer Announced
- Eidos Montreal: Working on Deus Ex 4: This Time Multiplayer Announced
- Crystal Dynamics: Working on Tomb Raider 2 and Lara Croft Downloadable Spinoff 2 Announced, I think
- IO Interactive: Working on Hitman 6 Announced
- Square Enix Montreal: Now entirely mobile, IIRC
- Psyonix: Working on Nosgoth, which is an upgraded version of a downgraded version of a Legacy of Kain reboot Announced

Then they have a bunch of Japanese teams that they own. You know what they are working on:
- Final Fantasy XV (not done) Announced
- Kingdom Hearts 3D Announced
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX Announced
- Theatrhythm 2 Announced
- Bravely Default 2 Announced
- Continued development on Final Fantasy XIV

I'm sure they have some unannounced Japanese projects, but fewer projects take up more employees than anywhere, and companies are becoming more and more risk adverse. So don't expect that there's 100 awesome megatons being worked on. What Kagari is saying is that you shouldn't expect a bunch of new announcements, and you shouldn't expect that everything that's already announced is going to be there in force with hot new trailers and playables and stuff.

Yeah, I don't expect any new game announcements, but it would be reasonable for any one of the games you mentioned to show up.

But hey, this is SE we're talking about, so I'd be happy with just FFXIV content... Because I <3 me some Realm Reborn.

theofficefan99

Looking at the way this company operates today, you are really better off by having your expectations literally underground, because even anything on the surface is prone to disappointment.

I don't know if it will or will not appear, but seeing how slow this company has been with major projects of the last few years, you can save yourself a lot of sorrow by garnering apathy until major information surfaces, or the game comes out. People thought Square wouldn't be so dumb to ignore Type-0 getting an international release on PSP, and they actually allowed that to happen.

Square is one of those few companies where if you expect nothing or the worst, you'll be okay. It's a sad state of affairs.

I understand. But things are different now, especially with FFXV. It's no longer a spin-off. It's a mainline Final Fantasy title that showed up at last year's E3. For it to not show up at E3 or for it to show up with re-used footage and little/no info would be the most nonsensical thing they've done in a long while.

At least with Type-0 it kind of made sense. It's a game that'd take a lot of effort to localize and Dissidia was pirated 5 million times AKA it wouldn't sell well and the timing was just not good in any way, so I guess their decision made sense, somewhat. This would just be nonsensical.

Casval

Neo Member
Office, thanks for your comments.

E3 is only a few days away. As SE said in the video, "all will be revealed."

kayos90

I'll bow myself out of having this "discussion" with you before it turns ugly, but all I'll say is, Kagari has been wrong numerous times before therefore I personally never take her word as anything more than speculation, and Shinobi hasn't been known for being "in-the-know" with SE's Japan department therefore I don't take his word as the word of god, either.

So you'd rather believe no one then? I think it's much more likely that a person who knows things and gets some stuff wrong because things change is more believable than a person who doesn't know anything. You've created an argument for yourself where you refuse to believe Kagari or whoever else has insider information because they got it "wrong" a few times. I guess that automatically discounts all things right. You have right to discern what you take in as fact or not. That is not at all wrong. However, to discredit some of the things she says and then act like "I don't know what's going on so you don't know any better" is overly pretentious.

Personally, judging from what SE has said/hasn't said (what they've said on FFXV's development, their Thailand conference, what they've said on FFXV being a very high priority, them not outright saying XV won't show up, etc. etc.), I'd say it's much more likely that XV will show up with new footage/a new trailer than it not showing up or re-using footage/having little-to-no info.

SE says something, the response is "OMG IT"S TRUE. FINALLY! AN ANSWER/RESPONSE!"

SE says nothing, the response is "OMG IT"S A SIGN!"

This logic baffles me.

theofficefan99

So you'd rather believe no one then? I think it's much more likely that a person who knows things and gets some stuff wrong because things change is more believable than a person who doesn't know anything. You've created an argument for yourself where you refuse to believe Kagari or whoever else has insider information because they got it "wrong" a few times. I guess that automatically discounts all things right. You have right to discern what you take in as fact or not. That is not at all wrong. However, to discredit some of the things she says and then act like "I don't know what's going on so you don't know any better" is overly pretentious.

"Just because they have been wrong a few times?" Are you listening to yourself?

Well yes, of course, because that means they don't have strong connections AKA they aren't a reliable source for "insider info."

It's not overly pretentious in any way whatsoever. She has been wrong numerous times in the past, therefore I believe that she is not a reliable source for insider info and she's just speculating. And the fact that you say it's okay for me to not believe them shows me that you are acknowledging that what they say isn't 100% proof.

theofficefan99

SE says something, the response is "OMG IT"S TRUE. FINALLY! AN ANSWER/RESPONSE!"

SE says nothing, the response is "OMG IT"S A SIGN!"

This logic baffles me.

It's not really that difficult to understand my logic. SE usually announces when certain anticipated/expected games aren't showing up at an event (AKA Hitman, Versus XIII millions of times before for TGS and E3), therefore, the fact that, as of now, they haven't said that XV isn't showing up at E3 is a good sign. Not hard to understand.

kayos90

"Just because they have been wrong a few times?" Are you listening to yourself?

Name me a perfect person living right now? One. Shit happens. People get stuff wrong sometimes. Does that automatically make them bad/untrustworthy? No.

Well yes, of course, because that means they don't have strong connections AKA they aren't a reliable source for "insider info."

Shit changes. Plans change. Things happen. Doesn't mean the information that was initially presented was wrong. Just because you're kept out of the loop and lack information to help you draw certain conclusions doesn't mean what they said was wrong.

It's not really that difficult to understand my logic. SE usually announces when certain anticipated/expected games aren't showing up at an event (AKA Hitman, Versus XIII millions of times before for TGS and E3), therefore, the fact that, as of now, they haven't said that XV isn't showing up at E3 is a good sign. Not hard to understand.

More like SE wanted to start on a clean slate for the new gen and wanted to show their early plans for the new gen with the rebranding of XV and affirming that KH3 is in production. You're logical deductions are faulty. At best.

Office why have the conversation if you not willing to hear the other parties? You are not going to budge so leave it at that and wait for e3. Once e3 starts we will know the truth a) SE incompetence continues and nothing new b) you were right c) insiders were right and the unlikely scenerio d) SE delivers the goods

theofficefan99

Name me a perfect person living right now? One. Shit happens. People get stuff wrong sometimes. Does that automatically make them bad/untrustworthy? No.

Shit changes. Plans change. Things happen. Doesn't mean the information that was initially presented was wrong. Just because you're kept out of the loop and lack information to help you draw certain conclusions doesn't mean what they said was wrong.

More like SE wanted to start on a clean slate for the new gen and wanted to show their early plans for the new gen with the rebranding of XV and affirming that KH3 is in production. You're logical deductions are faulty. At best.

Exactly. So you're basically acknowledging that they aren't reliable, because there's a good chance that what they say is wrong because of (insert reason here). So thank you for admitting that what they have speculated isn't proof.

...What? Dude, I'm not saying that that's proof that it'll show up. All I'm saying that it's a good sign that they haven't outright claimed that it won't show up, because that's something SE has done many times before with Versus XIII. Them saying Hitman won't show up at E3 is another very recent example. I'm not being delusional. I'm just saying that it's a good sign as opposed to a bad one and that's something you can't deny.

Philippo

I understand. But things are different now, especially with FFXV. It's no longer a spin-off. It's a mainline Final Fantasy title that showed up at last year's E3. For it to not show up at E3 or for it to show up with re-used footage and little/no info would be the most nonsensical thing they've done in a long while.

Welp now, last E3 they said they were over with long periods of silence, and watch how that turned up: 3 seconds of new footage and party members bios, that's way less that most companies gives out on a game's reveal. Maybe they're doing the same again (telling they're preparing this "mythical blowout" they keep talking about since Versus days) but ends up with nothing.

kayos90

Exactly. So you're basically acknowledging that they aren't reliable, because there's a good chance that what they say is wrong because of (insert reason here). So thank you for admitting that what they have speculated isn't proof.

This statement is proof that you're obviously not reading my posts properly and you're just throwing around your beliefs willy nilly. I refuse to conduct a formal argument under these kinds of circumstances.

I feel like I'm chatting with Luukyk all over again. Jeez.

theofficefan99

This statement is proof that you're obviously not reading my posts properly and you're just throwing around your beliefs willy nilly. I refuse to conduct a formal argument under these kinds of circumstances.

I wouldn't exactly consider this a civil or formal argument in any way considering how hostile you were from the start.

Listen, I'm asking for irrefutable proof. The fact that these insiders can, and have, gotten things wrong before, shows that their word isn't proof. Period. You cannot refute this.

And fine by me. I don't want to continue this argument, either.

Philippo

The fact that these insiders can, and have, gotten things wrong before, shows that their word isn't proof[/B]. Period. You cannot refute this.

Your statement is right, but on the other hand you can't deny they have some reliability(you said sometimes they got it wrong, but other times they didn't), so them saying it's not coming it's at least on par with the probability of FFXV being shown or even higher.

Then again i'm obsessed with this game and always hope it get shown, but you have to start looking at the other sides of things.

Toth

I wouldn't exactly consider this a civil or formal argument in any way considering how hostile you were from the start.

Listen, I'm asking for irrefutable proof. The fact that these insiders can, and have, gotten things wrong before, shows that their word isn't proof. Period. You cannot refute this.

And fine by me. I don't want to continue this argument, either.

I agree the hostility against you was rather unneccesary. You were just asking a simple question. Though I figure Kagari would not want to out any of her sources for obvious reasons.

I just think that if FFXV did have a big trailer or something at E3 SE would have told us that the game is present there already. I mean it isn't a secret anymore, there isn't a reason not to hype your fans if you had this cool trailer coming. You'd want to create buzz by talking about it beforehand methinks.

Tho I really don't have a good memory of this, were the previous FF appearances of already announced games kept secret? Nobody else seems to be doing this except for something like Uncharted.

Like we knew FFXV was announced to be shown at TGS last year and we really got jack shit, no?

Kikujiro

Theoffice is discussing in a civil manner and you're acting like a big douche, get off you're high horse, why are you so unnecessary aggressive?

Asking for proof is not stupid, it's the only way to end all the speculations, there's a reason some of the "insiders" got banned during the past few months. You either have a credible and proven source or you don't.

GunBR

Maybe some of you are right, but it's really dumb to not show anything about the game on the E3.
At least some 1 min trailer just to say "look, there's nothing wrong with the production now"

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Theoffice is discussing in a civil manner and you're acting like a big douche, get off you're high horse, why are you so unnecessary aggressive?

Asking for proof is not stupid, it's the only way to end all the speculations, there's a reason some of the "insiders" got banned during the past few months. You either have a credible and proven source or you don't.

They usually get banned after the fact though. Like when they insist on certain things and then it doesn't happen or someone discovers that the person was outright lying.

What sort of proof can these insiders give anyway at this junction? NO point killing good will with informants just to placate someone on a message board. If they have something for E3, we will know in a week or so.

Also, when did Shinobi become an insider? I only noticed him posting a crazy amount of new threads and then heard he had himself banned for more time with his kid.

They usually get banned after the fact though. Like when they insist on certain things and then it doesn't happen or someone discovers that the person was outright lying.

What sort of proof can these insiders give anyway at this junction? NO point killing good will with informants just to placate someone on a message board. If they have something for E3, we will know in a week or so.

Also, when did Shinobi become an insider? I only noticed him posting a crazy amount of new threads and then heard he had himself banned for more time with his kid.

He has called few things beforehand and usually when he does that it is spot on and he doesn't do the vague teasing thing some insiders/''insiders'' do, he literally says ''Halo announcement tomorrow/The Order gameplay next week and game delayed''.

theofficefan99

He has called few things beforehand and usually when he does that it is spot on and he doesn't do the vague teasing thing some insiders/''insiders'' do, he literally says ''Halo announcement tomorrow/The Order gameplay next week and game delayed''.

Notice how that isn't stuff from Japanese developers

Some Nobody

It's not showing up. You can ask anyone who's going to E3 that have appointments with companies.

This only works if Square-Enix doesn't have "SECRET PROJECT" on anyone's list. And admittedly no, FFXV isn't a "secret", but until they're in full-on media blitz mode I could totally see them passing it off as a shocking reveal again--that's what they've done every other time so far.

Still and all, I wouldn't err on the side of optimism here. Square-Enix has been working on this game since 2010. It was in concept stages since 2006. That's nearly ten years, and in that time it's appeared at 3 E3s: 2006. 2011. 2013. With no projected release date, holding out hope that you'll see it is asking for disappointment.

It's better if you chill out and forget about the game altogether--or at least, find some other games to be hyped about. Because nothing's going to hurt worse than not seeing XV there when E3's over than a well-placed "I told you so".

Screw FFXV, I need YoshiP to drop some FFXIV bombs at E3.

Square-Enix's Japanese division is allowed to talk about three games at E3:

Final Fantasy XV.
Kingdom Hearts 3.
UNANNOUNCED title.

What they are not allowed to do is waste my time with an MMO. Put that shit on a YouTube video and make a news post about it later, where it belongs.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

I see. Thanks.

To be fair, E3 isn't Japanese. We're not talking about internal secrets but what may not may not show up at an expo show.

He has actually said IIRC that he doesn't know much of the japanese side stuff. However IF he were to know that XV was a no show I'd imagine it is because one of his sources that know about the Sony E3 press plan says that XV is not included on the show (and if that was the case I doubt any big news for the title would be there anyway).

Not saying you should trust everything insiders say, healthy scepticism is always good but I do think that even without them it feels like XV will skip this E3 and perhaps appear at TGS or whatever. It's just way too quiet for such a big, already announced title if they were showing it.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
He has actually said IIRC that he doesn't know much of the japanese side stuff. However IF he were to know that XV was a no show I'd imagine it is because one of his sources that know about the Sony E3 press plan says that XV is not included on the show (and if that was the case I doubt any big news for the title would be there anyway).

Not saying you should trust everything insiders say, healthy scepticism is always good but I do think that even without them it feels like XV will skip this E3 and perhaps appear at TGS or whatever. It's just way too quiet for such a big, already announced title if they were showing it.

Yeah. Healthy scepticism is good.

The whole debate is pointless anyway. Almost like a Waiting for Godot situation.

A: It won't show up in 2 weeks.
B: How do you know? You have been wrong about XYZ before.
A; I've heard nothing/something and I can't tell you my sources but this is what I do and that is the info I have.
B: Hah, I don't believe you. Prove it!

Rinse and repeat.
An ultimately pointless endeavour that will prove (is there anything to prove anyway? Information is either right or wrong.) itself very soon. Arguing now doesn't serve any purpose as no one can tell you the truth (and even if they do anyone can still go "lalalala I can't hear you" anyway).

If only they would put so much focus on font with the interface of their mobile games.

Square Enix Presents: A short reminder of how good fonts choices for ingame text have died along with our intent to make console and handheld games that are not AAA.

Yeah. Healthy scepticism is good.

The whole debate is pointless anyway. Almost like a Waiting for Godot situation.

A: It won't show up in 2 weeks.
B: How do you know? You have been wrong about XYZ before.
A; I've heard nothing/something and I can't tell you my sources but this is what I do and that is the info I have.
B: Hah, I don't believe you. Prove it!

Rinse and repeat.
An ultimately pointless endeavour that will prove (is there anything to prove anyway? Information is either right or wrong.) itself very soon. Arguing now doesn't serve any purpose as no one can tell you the truth (and even if they do anyone can still go "lalalala I can't hear you" anyway).

This. C'mon guys.

Philippo

Summary of the last pages:
receipts.gif

I just hope that if it's a no show they will be open about the situation with it. Like ''The title will have a brand new trailer at TGS'' and not leave us hanging entirely.

You really, really, really haven't been paying attention to this company over the years have you? There's a very good chance FFXV won't be at E3 at all. Everyone better be damn skeptical.

All I know is that there's been more years than not that this game hasn't been at E3 with subsequent hype crushed into the ground.

Yeah, I'm gonna be fuckin skeptical.

kayos90

Pretty sure Kagari is not a he... Unless you mean Shinobi.

Smaller booth this year, they didn't show up at Judges Day and my appointments with them are all predictable: FF14, Theatrhythm, KH2.5.

You can't be right....I mean, this company couldn't fall that low to not even present a miserable trailer for their 2 biggest console games...

kayos90

You can't be right....I mean, this company couldn't fall that low to not even present a miserable trailer for their 2 biggest console games...

Still doesn't mean they don't have a big showing. It just means not a lot of playable stuff. You should be excited to see the western stuff =D.

OmecronBlazor

Neo Member

You need to chill out ASAP. You're not formal at all. You're acting like an oversensitive child being told he can't have ice cream before bedtime.

It looks like you're trying to hold on to something you know doesn't exist.

We've all been reading your posts and you run around in circles refusing to cooperate, which is why officefan keeps asking you for proof. YOU REFUSE TO PROVIDE PROOF!

First saying you can't physically provide him with proof, then in the same reply saying he's already gotten his proof. Pick one and stick with it!!!!

You've set yourself up so that whatever happens at E3, you and your "people going to E3" and "insiders" will either say "I told you so" or "I knew all along but wasn't allowed to say it". Typical status-seeking glory hungry troll tactics.

Blaming inaccurate predictions as "shit happens", "things change last minute".. What a farce. Big decisions like that don't happen overnight.

Provide proof, irrefutable proof, or stop replying and let someone competent provide proof. Period.

Top Bottom